PDA

View Full Version : North Country Bugs

peakbagger
06-02-2017, 08:51
I posted this on another forum but Southbounders may be interested. I slightly edited it.

WGME a TV station in southern maine had a story in the last few days on Katahdin Woods and Waters (east of Baxter) building 30 miles of new trails. The video showed the North Country Conservation Corps (NCCC) working on brushing out a section of trail (looked like an old logging road). They were in full bug gear. Boots, long pants long sleeves and bug nets all very tightly closed up. The bug nets they were using had a top ring to keep the netting out away from the skin so they looked like they were wearing mesh helmets. It looked oddly like old science fiction movies of the 50s. Hopefully the photographer had similar gear as the camera lens was covered by bugs. They interviewed one of the participants who took the bug net off and it was obvious it was going to be a short interview. Definitely not the time to be out in the woods near BSP. Only good thing is the temps are below average the next 10 days so

Of course the AT south bounders are just heading out over the next two weeks so hope they got the gear and sanity to survive the onslaught. I looked around for a link to the video an couldn't find one.

Slo-go'en
06-02-2017, 10:13
Thankfully, just walking in the woods isn't quite as bad as working in the woods and stirring them up. Brushing trail through thick evergreens really gets them swarming.

Praha4
06-02-2017, 11:10
have to be honest I'm concerned about ticks and Lymes this year
am delaying any AT or LT hikes til the fall, hoping with cooler temps by fall the ticks won't be as bad
but still a concern

SoBo AT thrus will have some challenges this year in June with cooler, wetter weather in New England, the weather looks more like late spring in Germany...cold and wet

peakbagger
06-02-2017, 11:34
Ticks really don't have to be an issue to delay a hike, just switch over to long lightweight pants and long sleeves (desert gear). Either buy the gear with permethrin preapplied or apply it yourself. Apply it to your pack an possibly you tent and you are good to go.

All the models indicate a hotter than normal summer season for the Northeast. Many including myself may be looking back fondly at this weather in month or so. Its a lot easier to put on a bit more gear than be in the position where you cant take anymore off and heat stroke is possibility.