PDA

View Full Version : Hiking with Post Tibula Tendon Dysfunction

backtrack213
06-02-2017, 09:01
Wondering if anyone ever had an injury like this happen to them, and what they did to relieve it to hit the trail.

Praha4
06-02-2017, 11:07
have not had this specific injury, but have dealt with anterior tibial tendonitis before, had to get off the trail for a month of rest, ice, NSAIDs and physical therapy

also had surgery for a torn achilles tendon in 2015, and now I'm walking and hiking normally after a long recovery from that (no fun at all)

my best advice, as given to me by my ortho and physical therapist, is once you get over the injury and inflammation cycle.... you need to do exercises to strengthen ankles, and also work on stretching the achilles and hamstrings to improve flexibility in the legs.

I bought a slant board and wobble board to do the PT exercises daily

good luck!

I just pulled up the info on your specific injury at AAOS

rest, ice, NSAIDs, and using good orthotics ( Superfeet insoles work great)

http://orthoinfo.aaos.org/topic.cfm?topic=a00166

Slo-go'en
06-02-2017, 11:17
Sounds like you need to let it heal for 6-8 weeks or risk making it worse.

backtrack213
06-02-2017, 11:43
I wear super feet insoles in my daily shoes and have a new pair for my hiking shoes. Been resting my feet for a couple weeks now start PT today so I'll see what they say. Once I have good exercises and stretches recommended I will start that thanks for the info.

perrypt2
06-02-2017, 23:58
You are on the right track with Super Feet. But you may need to modify them with a varus wedge under the 1st toe and along the medial (inside) arch. Your PT can give you appropriate exercises to strengthen the muscles around your foot. Also taping the arch of your foot in a low dye configuration almost always immediately decreases posterior tibial tendon pain. The key is to balance your foot in the shoe when you walk. Hopefully your therapist is well versed in treating the foot and ankle.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk