PDA

View Full Version : SNP Bear boxes?

PGH1NC
06-03-2017, 08:38
While viewing some videos of hiking and huts in SNP I noticed what appear to be bear boxes (for placing human food, not bears) at some of the huts. I don't think I saw these boxes mentioned in SNP literature. Do some (all) of the huts in SNP have these bear boxes?

jimmyjam
06-03-2017, 10:00
Unless they are new, there are only bear poles in the SNP. The poles work just fine for hanging your food.

jimmyjam
06-03-2017, 10:01
The camp sites in the established campgrounds like Loft Mountain and Big Meadows- those have bear boxes.

MuddyWaters
06-03-2017, 10:49
Yes, there are bear boxes at many
Yes they look pretty new
Yes people leave crap in them, as you would expect
But not too bad. Probably worse when bubble goes thru though

They are ez, compared to the poles

Each hut has a little neighborhood of trails/tent pads off in the woods near it, sometimes extensive ,often with a few bear poles scattered among them. Impressive setup really, if the pads were flatter and less rocks it woud be outstanding.

rmitchell
06-03-2017, 21:35
There was one at Gravel Springs Hut when we were there about a month ago. It did look new.

Slo-go'en
06-03-2017, 21:56
Bear boxes are slowly popping up all over the trail and no doubt will eventually become standard equipment at all shelter sites.

Kaptainkriz
06-03-2017, 22:16
Byrds Nest 3 did not have one. All the others from Rock Spring north did.

PGH1NC
06-03-2017, 22:34
Thanks, that's god to know.

PGH1NC
06-03-2017, 22:36
That's good to know.
Sorry, another forum allows posters a chance to edit responses.

CRC
06-08-2017, 14:49
According to one of the ridge runners, they have bear boxes in all of the central district and northern district huts now and should have them at all of the huts in the southern district by the end of this year. Bear poles are at all of the huts in SNP AFAIK - I saw one backcountry campsite that had a bear pole too.

Deacon
06-08-2017, 18:16
That's good to know.
Sorry, another forum allows posters a chance to edit responses.

Become a donating member then you'll have edit capability.

MuddyWaters
06-08-2017, 23:17
Bear boxes are slowly popping up all over the trail and no doubt will eventually become standard equipment at all shelter sites.
Its a shame.

Watching someone put foodbag in box isnt nearly as entertaining as watching them throw rock/cord over limb.

Jim Lynch
06-09-2017, 21:22
While viewing some videos of hiking and huts in SNP I noticed what appear to be bear boxes (for placing human food, not bears) at some of the huts. I don't think I saw these boxes mentioned in SNP literature. Do some (all) of the huts in SNP have these bear boxes?

I haven't been at a hut in a while (maybe a year), but there are bear boxes at the campgrounds. Might that be what you've seen?

PGH1NC
06-09-2017, 23:22
I am sure the video showed huts. And thanks to forum members who have mentioned the presence of the bear boxes in the northern two sections of SNP.

Sarcasm the elf
06-09-2017, 23:25
Its a shame.

Watching someone put foodbag in box isnt nearly as entertaining as watching them throw rock/cord over limb.

I read your first line, took the bait and wanted to write a strong reply.

Then I read your second line and had a good laugh. :banana

BuckeyeBill
06-10-2017, 15:39
Its a shame.

I always enjoyed the rock throwing competition in the evening as well.