PDA

View Full Version : Shoes

Lib
06-03-2017, 19:58
Can anybody tell me how many pairs of shoes it takes to do thru hike? I'm planning 2018 nb hike so I need to break in shoes. I'm planning on using salomon quest 4d 2 gtx. Thnx for any answers.

Scorpion
06-03-2017, 20:40
I used 4 pairs of New Balance trail shoes. Five to Six hundred miles per pair.

Scorpion GA-ME 04

Greenlight
06-03-2017, 21:12
Can anybody tell me how many pairs of shoes it takes to do thru hike? I'm planning 2018 nb hike so I need to break in shoes. I'm planning on using salomon quest 4d 2 gtx. Thnx for any answers.

You don't have to break in trail runners, or most lightweight boot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Slo-go'en
06-03-2017, 21:52
You only need to break in the shoes/boots you start with. And then not that much. My rule of thumb is to wear a new set of boots for about 2 weeks before starting a hike and do as much walking around in them during that time as I can. It's as much about getting your feet into shape as it is breaking in the boots.

Once your feet are trail hardened, you should have no problem with new boots you buy along the way. Feet often change size on a long hike, so if you pre-buy boots or shoes, you run the risk of them being too small towards the end of the hike.

In any event, you need to budget for 4-5 pairs of footwear.

Elaikases
06-04-2017, 09:44
You don't have to break in trail runners, or most lightweight boot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Excellent point, especially as many people have their feet get a size or a half size larger and need to change the size of shoes they are wearing on the trail.

Lib
06-04-2017, 14:31
Wow you're not kidding about feet getting bigger I guess. How's that work I mean I could see them getting bigger n stronger, but longer too? So break in a pair of shoes for last half or third of trip half size larger?

ggreaves
06-04-2017, 14:40
I'm planning on using salomon quest 4d 2 gtx.

This is a boot, not a shoe. It's a great boot with reasonable weight and nice support. I'd recommend getting the non-goretex version, though. It may seem counter-intuitive, but they'll keep your feet dryer and healthier in the long run because they won't trap moisture inside like the GTX's do. They make a non-goretex version for the military market (who know how important it is to take care of their feet).

https://www.us-elitegear.com/collections/salomon/products/salomon-forces-quest-4d

Lib
07-28-2017, 21:14
Thnx for the comments!

MuddyWaters
07-28-2017, 21:19
You know the answer will be

It depends....

some shoes hold up better than others
Some may last 1000 miles
Some may fall apart at 200-300

some feet expand more than others requiring resizing as well.

etc.

Going over the stitching around the rand with superglue ahead of time can keep some shoes from blowing out prematurely.

KDogg
07-29-2017, 07:55
I was on my fourth pair of trail runners when I finished. My hiking partners replaced their boots once.

Venchka
07-29-2017, 08:07
I used 4 pairs of New Balance trail shoes. Five to Six hundred miles per pair.

Scorpion GA-ME 04

300-400 miles would arguably be better for your feet. The cushioning is shot before the uppers and soles fall apart.
The shoes you finish with may not even be on the market when you start. WhiteBlaze is full of comments like "I replaced my X shoes with Y shoes after 200 miles."
You have no idea how your feel and shoes will behave until you've spent a month or two in them.
Wayne

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kembo
07-29-2017, 08:24
I used 2 pair of boots. The first pair were high top work boots that were not meant for long distance hiking. They wore out in Virginia. I picked up a pair of real hiking boots in Blacksburg Va. Had to take them to a cobbler in New Jersey for repairs. The boots lasted to the end with help from epoxy and duct tape.

Jeff Ga. to Me 1972

Puddlefish
07-29-2017, 08:32
I started with a pair of beloved Merrel Moabs, but tore the sole on a rock at 400 miles. A glue repair lasted until Damascus where I was able to get a pair of Altra's with a wider toe box, that were lighter and dried out faster.

If you're attempting a thru, your feet may change, the weather will change, and just generally what you value in a shoe may change. My Merrels were awesome for the first part of the trail, but once I hit a few weeks of rain and humidity, they were no longer drying out over night. Budget for 5 pairs of shoes, but I wouldn't buy them in advance.

Venchka
07-29-2017, 09:42
One hiker's battle with feet and shoes.
https://nobohobos.wordpress.com/2017/07/10/day-75-76-its-not-always-a-walk-in-the-park-and-matt-cries-mosquito/
Good luck.
Wayne

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk