PDA

View Full Version : repair kits

Adom
01-29-2006, 21:54
What have you guys experienced with buckles and straps as far as breakage. We are wondering if we should have extra QR buckles along? can we find this stuff pretty readily along the way?

Blue Jay
01-29-2006, 22:18
I have had need for a short strap and connector a few times. It's not required, but it was nice to have.

Peaks
01-30-2006, 09:38
I've never broken a strap, or buckle. But part of your answer depends on how you treat your gear, and how worn you gear is. I suspect that if you overload your pack, or abuse your gear, then you will be more apt to break something.

I did wear out the buckle on my hip belt from frequently tighening the belt, but I went to the outfitter for a replacement rather than carrying a spare with me.

Grampie
01-30-2006, 09:44
I don't think there is a need to carry extra buckles, straps etc. You can get to enough outfitters to buy repair parts you may need.
At Trail Days they have a great bunch who will repair, sew anything. I did carry a needle, heavy thread and a short lenght of soft wire along with duct tape to make any required repairs.

TN_Hiker
01-30-2006, 10:26
I always carry an extra buckle for my waist belt--it has never happened to me personally but if that sucker breaks it makes for some hard packing. The extra oz. or so is worth the insurance to me.

Adom
01-30-2006, 12:27
Thanks guys.

I just purchased an Arc Teryx Bora 80 and I'm pretty sure I won't be over 40 lbs.

I've never been to hard on my gear but I still might consider a spare buckle or two. I guess it'll come down to my final pack wieght.

Footslogger
01-30-2006, 12:30
Needle, thread (dental floss) and small amount of duct tape.

As everyone else has said, the other supplies/replacement parts can be ordered and mailed to you on the trail or purchased at an outfitter.

It's pretty hard to anticipate break downs in your gear in advance. Take care of your gear and it will last. Pick up and set down your pack with a bit of ease and secure straps/buckles so that they do not get stepped on or otherwise crushed.

'Slogger

Alligator
01-30-2006, 14:43
I had the hip belt buckly break on my Arc'teryx Bora 95 the first time it was out. I was on a week long trip. The nice thing was that this pack has a top lid that converts to a fanny pack, so there was an extra buckle in there. This is the only buckle that I would consider keeping a spare for, as hiking without it can be slow and tiring. I don't carry the spare anymore though, as I have a lightweight pack now most of the year that I can carry without too much difficulty if that buckle were to break again. I'd throw the spare back in though if I was going to be without resupply for more than a couple of days. Might make a good bounce box item.

BTW, Arc'teryx had their own buckles. The prongs seemed under more stress due to curvature and were thinner, hence the failure. This was several years ago, maybe they have corrected the problem.

Jack Tarlin
01-30-2006, 16:03
I agree with Slogger. A field repair doesn't have to be good enough to get you to Maine; it only needs to get you out of the woods, where you can either do a more extensive repair in a motel or hostel, or more likely, get to an Outfitter. In addition to his list of repair tools, I carry an oversized needle
(for thick fabric, like backpacks or straps); several safety pins of assorted sizes; and parachute cord. Sometimes, cutting a few feet off your laundry line/bear bag line is all you need; it's a wonder how many things can be temporarily fixed just by lashing them together with a bit of rope.

And lastly, however much duct tape you're bringing along, bring more. Sooner or later, you'll need it.