PDA

View Full Version : Retained water breeding grounds?

nuknees
06-04-2017, 18:20
I fear retained were in my gravity filter is a potential breeding ground for any viruses and bacteria it has trapped. I do use air in the bladder and roll it through to assist in getting out as much as possible. What's the best way to clean or flush the filter between excursions?
Thanks!

nuknees
06-04-2017, 18:22
That'ssupposed to be..."fear retained water..."

egilbe
06-04-2017, 18:25
Read the manufacturer's instructions? What do they say about maintaining it? If its a Sawyer filter, backflush and soak for an hour in bleachey water and then drinse with clean water and let air dry.

Feral Bill
06-04-2017, 18:41
Viruses need a living host to reproduce, so don't worry about them. I just surface clean and air dry my MSR ceramic filter element between trips. I have never seen anything suspicious growing.

Carbo
06-04-2017, 20:11
On the 3rd year of use with the Sawyer filter, never had a problem. Just be careful not to contaminate the filtered water with the unfiltered source. If you have serious doubts you can always treat with aqua mira.

RangerZ
06-04-2017, 20:18
I backflush my Mini. I bleach all of my water bags and reservoir. Then I drain them through the filter. Drain the reservoir through the hose. Then I let everything air dry upside down so that they drain completely. Stand the filter on end to drain. I admit to blowing through it to force out some water.