PDA

View Full Version : Costco rain jacket

Ethesis
06-04-2017, 20:44
Well, we had a real rainstorm. They wet out and start leaking in about ten minutes.

Back actually stayed dry. So did my head. But arms and front were pretty wet.

Breathes very, very well.

Now, if only it was better as a rain jacket.

Too bad.

Time Zone
06-05-2017, 02:45
was this the Paradox brand?

I have one of those from Costco, probably bought 2 yrs ago. I tested it out in a heavy rain, walking for about 20 minutes. The outer surface definitely seemed to get wetted-out, but I really could not tell that any rain actually got through. On the inside, if any additional moisture was present, I think it was from being clammy. The hood was not so great; seemed impossible to snug up around my face and keep it that way.

Rain Man
06-05-2017, 08:25
I've paid $100-$200 for various fancy name brands ... that did the same. Sigh.

Ethesis
06-05-2017, 08:43
32 degree cool is the brand.

Real penetration not just clammy. Visible water.

But the hood and back panel are slightly different so no water got in there.

Anyway. Interesting experiment.

Really like the jacket otherwise.

But it is only good for sputtering rain or for going to and from a car.

Ethesis
06-05-2017, 09:19
My wife and I had different colors. Same penetration patterns on our shirts.

Francis Sawyer
06-05-2017, 10:12
You either get wet from the rain or you walk around in your own portable sweat lodge . You will still get wet.

BuckeyeBill
06-05-2017, 10:27
One of the reasons I switched to a Packa was the ability to Put it on without having to remove my pack. I also like that it fits over the straps which can block ventilating properties. I manage to stay dry and having pit zips that I can fully open helps tremendously with holding down on how much I sweat.

Dogwood
06-05-2017, 14:28
A new REAL RAIN JACKET should NOT wet out the first time wearing it...

Dogwood
06-05-2017, 14:30
Breath ability of a rain jacket should be discussed always in conjunction with ventability.

Deacon
06-05-2017, 18:21
One of the reasons I switched to a Packa was the ability to Put it on without having to remove my pack. I also like that it fits over the straps which can block ventilating properties. I manage to stay dry and having pit zips that I can fully open helps tremendously with holding down on how much I sweat.

I've tried many different rain jackets, but the Packa is the best performing in terms of ventilation and staying relatively cool and comfortable. I have the thinnest model, the 10 denier. It does eventually wet out but the ventilation offsets that.

I got the large that's 4" more in circumference at the bottom and 2" longer. The larger size improves the ventilation.

Ethesis
06-05-2017, 19:18

My thoughts exactly.

Rain Man
06-06-2017, 00:20

When should a real rain jacket wet out?

TNhiker
06-06-2017, 09:39
When should a real rain jacket wet out?

When it rains.........

saltysack
06-06-2017, 10:58
Simply return and get a good rain jacket.....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ethesis
06-06-2017, 13:09
Simply return and get a good rain jacket.....

that is the easy part (the return)

:)

saltysack
06-06-2017, 13:16
that is the easy part (the return)

:)

Yep...

Runner2017
06-06-2017, 15:07
Wet-out means the failure of DWR on the surface fabric. It can happen to any rain jacket, even expensive ones. But waterproof layer, such as Gortex and eVent, should still be able to block water from getting inside, though breathability is completely gone once the surface fabric is totally wetted out.

BuckeyeBill
06-06-2017, 15:19
You pay a weight penalty when you get into the gortex and eVent material. There is also a significant increase in price as well. I may have went to a eVent material on my packa, but the available colors didn't work for me.

Ethesis
06-09-2017, 13:52
Wet-out means the failure of DWR on the surface fabric. It can happen to any rain jacket, even expensive ones. But waterproof layer, such as Gortex and eVent, should still be able to block water from getting inside, though breathability is completely gone once the surface fabric is totally wetted out.

it was the water coming through that was the failure point for me.