PDA

View Full Version : Bear encounter protocol

QuietStorm
06-05-2017, 08:41
I encountered a mama bear and cub yesterday on the trail and realized I probably didn't follow protocol. I saw the cub first, which was about 10 feet away and apparently startled because it ran from the edge of the trail into the woods. I looked in the opposite direction first to make sure I wasn't between the cub and mama. I then looked in the direction the cub ran and there was mama about 40 feet away looking directly at me. Protocol says to speak calmly and back away slowly. I have to admit even if I tried to speak calmly I don't think any words would have come out. My only thought was to slowly and quietly walk away down the trail. I turned my back to do so, which you're not supposed to do. Since I'm going back to the SNP this weekend, I'd like to handle the next encounter better. Anyone who has actually been in this situation and not just read about it have any advice? Thanks in advance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

QuietStorm
06-05-2017, 08:42
Not sure why this ended up in the selling gear forum.

tiptoe
06-05-2017, 09:08
I was in a similar situation a couple of years ago, in the southern Smokies. It was a very misty morning, and the trail passed through a hollow near a stream. I expected to see a bear under those conditions, and I did. A cub ran across the trail, maybe 30 feet ahead of me. I stopped immediately and stood quietly, waiting for mama to follow. And she did. She ran up to the trail, stopped abruptly, looked left and then right (toward me). Our eyes met, and I could see her weighing her options. I said quietly, but loud enough for her to hear: "I'm a mama, too." She continued after her cub, hustling him/her farther away from the trail. I waited a few more minutes, and continued. I could still hear noise in the underbrush, but farther away.

During all this, I was very calm and respectful, as I usually am during wildlife encounters. I've been section-hiking the AT since 2006, and hope to finish this year. In all that time, I've seen six bears, foxes, and countless rattlesnakes. Keep in mind that most animals don't want to face down a human any more than you want to deal with them.

fiddlehead
06-05-2017, 09:10
I was in a very similar situation in Shenendoah NP quite a few years ago.
2 cubs, and mama.
One cub ran right at me and then up a nearby tree.
Mama came right behind and stood up on her hind legs and roared at me from about 8 feet away.
I remained calm (somehow) and just talked to her and didn't run.
I eventually backed out of there slowly but didn't turn my back.

I was scared. Sure.
But tried to keep my wits and do things properly.

TexasBob
06-05-2017, 11:19
I was doing the Cedar Run- Whiteoak Canyon loop in SNP on a weekday years ago and had the trail to myself. I was going down Whiteoak Canyon when I heard a twig snap and looked across the creek to see a bear looking at me and then looking down the creek. About 10 yards down the creek on the opposite side of the creek from the trail were two cubs up a tree staring at me. I froze and after a short time the cubs came down the tree and ran over to their Mama and then the three of them ran away. I am not sure what would have happened if we where all on the same side of the creek.

BuckeyeBill
06-05-2017, 11:41
Here is a short video (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qZ9GzIMGRMw&feature=youtu.be) from the people/Rangers of the Great Smoky Mountain National Park.

Shutterbug
06-05-2017, 12:02
I encountered a mama bear and cub yesterday on the trail and realized I probably didn't follow protocol. I saw the cub first, which was about 10 feet away and apparently startled because it ran from the edge of the trail into the woods. I looked in the opposite direction first to make sure I wasn't between the cub and mama. I then looked in the direction the cub ran and there was mama about 40 feet away looking directly at me. Protocol says to speak calmly and back away slowly. I have to admit even if I tried to speak calmly I don't think any words would have come out. My only thought was to slowly and quietly walk away down the trail. I turned my back to do so, which you're not supposed to do. Since I'm going back to the SNP this weekend, I'd like to handle the next encounter better. Anyone who has actually been in this situation and not just read about it have any advice? Thanks in advance.

I find myself in similar situations often. The first thing I do is reach for my camera.

I will never forget my first bear encounter. I was intentionally hiking where there were a lot of bears because I wanted a good bear picture. I was carrying my large SLR camera in my hand so I would be ready. When I rounded a curve in the trail, there was a bear about 20 feet ahead. We saw each other at the same time. The bear stood up on its hind legs and posed for me. I was so startled that I just stared back. After a second or two, the bear ran into the woods. I looked down and realized that I still had my camera in my hand, but didn't get a picture. I have not made that mistake again.

My advice -- stay calm and get a good picture. Obviously, one should never approach a bear with a cub.