PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone experienced "misting" in a sil-nylon tarp?

TwoForty
01-29-2006, 22:47
I know that when the rain comes down hard enough it can actually penetrate sil-nylon and create a misting effect.
Has anyone here experienced this? How hard was the rain coming down?

Sly
01-29-2006, 23:05
I don't think the rain is penetrating the tarp as much as condensation on the underside being knocked loose by the rain above, but I could be wrong. And yes, I've experienced it.

TwoForty
01-29-2006, 23:09
I don't think the rain is penetrating the tarp as much as condensation on the underside being knocked loose by the rain above, but I could be wrong. And yes, I've experienced it.
In a light rain I have experienced condensation being knocked off. It wasn't fun at all. I'm just curious how much of a rain it takes for the rain to actually mist right through the tarp (if there is no condensation, for example).

peter_pan
01-30-2006, 09:10
Sly is right in my observations... BTW most Silnyl has a waterproofness to 2-3 PSI... rain does not get to this level very often, if at all...

Pan

Tha Wookie
01-30-2006, 09:14
I've experienced it.

According to Ray Jardine, he carries the only tarp nylon material that resists under-condensation under all conditions.

general
01-30-2006, 09:36
misting does occur under severe conditions. i've never experienced it due to wind driven rain though. when i test a new tent or tarp with the water hose i can force some water through the material by holding the hose about 1 inch from the material and creating the most water pressure possible. by doing this, i can say that it's highly unlikely that you could ever experience rain that is hard enough to create that kind of water pressure.

ventalation is the key to staying dry.

orangebug
01-30-2006, 10:24
I've seen it with cheap urethane treated nylon tents at KMart and WallyWorld

gravityman
01-30-2006, 14:35
I know that when the rain comes down hard enough it can actually penetrate sil-nylon and create a misting effect.
Has anyone here experienced this? How hard was the rain coming down?

Hard to say, but I swear my wife and I have experienced it a few times. The amount of water was very minimal, and I'm fairly confident that it wasn't condensation (although this might be the culpert - but it sure didn't seem like it). The amount of water was tiny, and didn't wet anything. The only way we noticed it, was a noticable feeling on the face of a fine spray. Couldn't see it on the gear or anywhere else.

It happened a few times, on very hard, wind driven rain days. Not something that we got upset about, and we love out squall.

Gravity (and Danger)

neo
01-30-2006, 15:24
i have experineced this and have wondered if rain penatrated tarp or light condensation got knocked off,its hard to say,but it has not ever gotten me wet:cool: neo

Footslogger
01-30-2006, 15:27
If this is what everyone else is talking about ...I've had what looked like a little fog cloud near the inner wall on my Tarptent once or twice. I always thought it was visible condensation vapor from the difference in the outside/inside air temps.

'Slogger

Sly
01-30-2006, 15:31
Could be, Slogger.

I thought he was talking about a "raining" sensation, which I would attribute to condensation getting tapped off the inner wall by the rain outside.

Seeker
01-30-2006, 18:10
happened to me for the first time just this past weekend... i was running a test on a tarp/hammock in my backyard, fortunately... it was raining HARD... coming straight down, in big buckets.... don't see too many donwpours like that, even here. the 'condensation off the back side' explanation makes the most sense to me, since it was really humid right before it started raining... sudden cooldown just before the rain started could have caused the condensation on the underside of the tarp... i recoated it with silicone solution on sunday anyway.

mweinstone
01-30-2006, 18:36
yes condensation falling,no penetration.silnyl is god.waterproof to a google psi.

TwoForty
01-30-2006, 18:38
I've experienced it.

According to Ray Jardine, he carries the only tarp nylon material that resists under-condensation under all conditions.
And down bags are Satan incarnate too ;)

rumbler
01-30-2006, 19:21
I had moments when I thought my tent leaked, but almost entirely before I had learned to set it up correctly for ventilation. Once I had figured out how to set the dang thing up properly, and on into the tent I use now, while I can occasionally get significant amounts of moisture I believe it is entirely due to condensation.

And precisely why I carry one of those super-absorbant camp towels every time I sleep in my tent.

hikerjohnd
01-30-2006, 23:22
Check out this (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=10141&highlight=misting) thread.