PDA

View Full Version : 2017 Section Hikers

Berserker
06-05-2017, 13:06
Usually there's a running thread each year for us section hikers, and I hadn't seen one yet so thought I'd get it going. Who's knocking some sections out this year, and what sections? Anyone planning to finish this year?

I'll get this started. I just did GSMNP last week, Fontana to Standing Bear hostel. Had a great trip. Saw a mother bear and cub just 2 miles into the hike...first time I've ever seen a bear go up a tree in person. The interior of GSMNP, especially the 8 or so miles after Newfound Gap going North are phenomenal. I had low expectations primarily because prior to the trip I was focused on having to stay in the shelters, and I don't care for sleeping in them...prior to GSMNP I had only slept in 3 in over 1,600 miles of sectioning the AT. Anyway, I got over it, met some cool people and saw a bunch of cool stuff. So it was all good.

As for the rest of this year the plan right now is to finish NH and get a little ways into ME later in the summer. We'll see how that goes after getting my rear handed to me last year up there.

MisterQ
06-05-2017, 13:12
Swatara State Park (443) to Port Clinton Thursday through Saturday. 36 miles of rocks, snakes and perfect weather. Also planning to knock out the section between Duncannon and Swatara in a couple weeks.

JC13
06-05-2017, 14:04
Fontana to Sam's Gap in July. Can't wait!

troubletrev
06-05-2017, 14:11
Nice! Looking forward to the venture into the Smokies. This year will be Fontana through Hot Springs. Hiked Springer to Franklin last year. Have the section from Franklin to Fontana to makeup, but in the meantime headed north, hopefully into Damascus by next year.

illabelle
06-05-2017, 14:24
Our 10-year plan started in November of 2010 with our first week in Shenandoah. Don't remember the details anymore. Pretty sure we had at least five days on trail, and covered 20-something miles. We were SO SLOW! And not real ambitious. Now we're 70% done with the AT! Year by year it adds up, till one day you start to feel like you know what you're doing, and there isn't anything out there that you can't do - eventually.

Last month we walked SOBO from Great Barrington MA to Fahnestock State Park in NY, 103 miles. Finished Mass, finished CT, only about 50 miles left to finish up NY.
In Aug/Sept we'll fly up to Maine again to complete another 100 or so miles, Katahdin Ironworks Rd SOBO to Caratunk (about 65 miles), and Caribou Valley Road SOBO to ME 17 (about 40 miles). If we are successful with that section, we'll be done with Maine except the Mahoosucs, which we're saving for last (2020). This year we're also doing another 100 miles of Virginia in 2-3 day weekends, 40 miles this spring, 60 this fall.

Next year we'll finish PA and VT, and probably Virginia.
2019 will be all about New Hampshire except the Whites, which we've already done.
2020 we will finish NY, and then prepare for a leisurely stroll through the Mahoosucs. Haha!

jimmyjam
06-05-2017, 14:50
Got a few miles around Pearisburg Va to catch, 16 miles of Vermont, all of New Hampshire and Maine.

tiptoe
06-05-2017, 15:00
Hoping to complete the AT this summer: Caratunk to Katahdin.

Rmcpeak
06-05-2017, 16:10
I did Buena Vista to Waynesboro in April. I'm doing Buena Vista to Daleville next week. That will connect Pen-Mar to Damascus for me. I'd like to get out again in July to do Damascus to 19E to connect to Indian Grave>19 hike (Roan Mountain) I hiked Memorial Day 2016. This is my third year on the trail. I've hiked about 640 miles so far. The tentative plan is to complete the south in sections and then knock out Pen-Mar to Katahdin in one shot, maybe in 2020.

And I did 5 miles RT with my 6 and 11 year-olds up to Rice Field for an overnighter last weekend. That was probably the best hike so far.

rmitchell
06-05-2017, 17:15
Completed Thornton Gap to Harpers Ferry in early May finishing Virginia and West Virginia. I've been section hiking since 1998, but not every year . But I have hiked from Springer Mountain to H.F.
Now I trying to decide what next.

One Half
06-05-2017, 18:37
Did my first section this year. Well, the first time I set out to do a section. I used to live so close I would do little pieces of it here and there. Started at Springer and went to Unicoi Gap in 5 days. 53? Miles. Was planning on longer but really missed my husband. Like REALLY missed him. Didn't enjoy not sharing every moment with him. He's been in my life for more than half of it and married for half my life to him. 23 years last month. I don't regret the piece I did or the fact that I turned around and came home. I met some great people who are still out there hiking. But yeah, I needed to be here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

map man
06-05-2017, 18:52
I hiked from Damascus to Bland last month and that's all I will do this year. Everything I'd read about the beauty (and horses) in Grayson Highlands was true, but somehow nobody ever mentioned all the places there where the treadway was an angular rock jumble -- hard on the feet! I've now completed all the trail south of Bland VA (590 miles) since I started chipping away at it in 2013.

Greenlight
06-05-2017, 20:18
I did Damascus to Marion, VA. Then got a rental car and doubled back to attend Trail Days. Then drove up to Pearisburg VA and hiked up to Angel's Rest and back to town. It was glorious. I love White Top, Buzzard Rock, Grayson Highlands, and Angel's Rest.

Usually there's a running thread each year for us section hikers, and I hadn't seen one yet so thought I'd get it going. Who's knocking some sections out this year, and what sections? Anyone planning to finish this year?

I'll get this started. I just did GSMNP last week, Fontana to Standing Bear hostel. Had a great trip. Saw a mother bear and cub just 2 miles into the hike...first time I've ever seen a bear go up a tree in person. The interior of GSMNP, especially the 8 or so miles after Newfound Gap going North are phenomenal. I had low expectations primarily because prior to the trip I was focused on having to stay in the shelters, and I don't care for sleeping in them...prior to GSMNP I had only slept in 3 in over 1,600 miles of sectioning the AT. Anyway, I got over it, met some cool people and saw a bunch of cool stuff. So it was all good.

As for the rest of this year the plan right now is to finish NH and get a little ways into ME later in the summer. We'll see how that goes after getting my rear handed to me last year up there.

Dan Roper
06-05-2017, 20:26
Me and my two boys started at Springer in 2007. Our goal was to make it to Damascus, which we did last July. There's real questions whether either or both can join me this summer. They're 22 and 20 and have school/work commitments. If things don't work out, I'll probably pull the trigger and go solo in August or September, heading north from Damascus. I don't know how much I'll enjoy backpacking solo, after doing it in their company so long. We've had the best time a father and sons could have. I am going to miss them terribly. On the plus side, I do love hiking solo, so I think I'm ready, at 56, to try it a new way.

egilbe
06-05-2017, 21:12
My GF and I have the section between Flagstaff Lake and the Kennebec to finish, the five mile hike from 27 to the summit of North Crocker and the Summit of Old Speck to RT2 in NH. Then, maybe a Presi traverse if we have time.

TNGabe
06-06-2017, 06:48
I didn't plan on it, but it seems like I'm trying to at least do the entire TN/NC stretch this year. I'm about half way there. Might do Spivey to I-40 this weekend to enjoy some moonlight hiking and then I'll still need to do TN-91 to 19E and Newfound to Fontana. This started with doing I-40 to Newfound as a day hike after the Black Mountain Crest Trail seemed too easy. I'm planning to do that last stretch as part of an attempt at Davenport to Fontana in 24 hrs in August. If I survive that and still like walking, I'm hoping for a Davenport to Springer loop on AT/BMT sometime this fall.

MtDoraDave
06-06-2017, 06:59
In April, I did the section from Davenport Gap through Hot Springs to Devils Fork Gap. I didn't have the full week I usually give myself to do a section, hence the short section.
In a few weeks, the end of June, I'm heading back up to do another section from Devils Fork Gap north to ... somewhere. Guess I better get to planning that trip, huh. - I thought I was going to have another short week, but I bailed in the Marines' reunion that I was going to attend. Only a couple people that I know were going to attend and a 2 night stay was going to be $500 for just the hotel! I'd rather be hiking! So I will be. With a full week, hopefully I can get half way to Damascus from Devils Fork Gap.

Runner2017
06-06-2017, 11:03
I did a yo-yo (round trip) section hike between Springer and GA/NC borderline in a week in April.

LittleRock
06-06-2017, 13:04
Did Glasgow to Waynesboro in mid-April - beautiful! It was really cool going back and forth between winter on the ridge tops and spring in the valleys, although The Priest/Three Ridges really made me work for it.

Probably my last trip for awhile, got a new addition to the family coming in a few months.

backtrack213
06-06-2017, 13:34
NJ-ME this summer starting june 24

ChrisMek
06-06-2017, 13:45
I'm doing Hoyt Rd (NY/CT State line) to NJ/NY State line this year.

ajhoop
06-06-2017, 14:17
I did a one night section from Fox Creek, VA (mile 510) to Dickey's Gap (518) with my six and eight year old daughters in April.

Got out on my own in May and started in Erwin, TN (mile 342) and hiked to Damascus (469), ending just before Trail Days.

Astro
06-06-2017, 14:38
NH and ME, starting in Hanover, NH late on June 25 (so essentially June 26).

Rmcpeak
06-06-2017, 21:01
I did a one night section from Fox Creek, VA (mile 510) to Dickey's Gap (518) with my six and eight year old daughters in April.

Got out on my own in May and started in Erwin, TN (mile 342) and hiked to Damascus (469), ending just before Trail Days.

I just did an up and back to Rice Field Shelter (we tented) with my 6 and 11 year old. 5 mile round trip from Pocahontas Road (1000 ft climb). It was very good for the kids. Great views, sunset, sunrise. A friendly pack of thru hikers even made the kids s'mores.

dudeman_atl
06-06-2017, 21:05
Did new found gap to Fontana a few weeks back. Saw deer, turkeys, rattle snake. Heard about a bear near Fontana, but never saw it.

Awesome trip.

dudeman_atl
06-06-2017, 21:07
Also, desiccated Rocky Top by singing the UF version.

QuietStorm
06-06-2017, 21:12
This year 501 Shelter to NY/CT line NOBO and Harper's Ferry to Rock Spring Hut SOBO. Did MD and southern PA last year. Plan to hike CT and part of MA in September, and whittle away at VA the rest of the time. All on weekends!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

shelb
06-06-2017, 23:30
I have just over 750 miles completed.

2017 hike = NJ/NY border to MA/VT border .... in July

Any advise on bugs/water/etc???? Thanks in advance!!!!

Deacon
06-07-2017, 05:31
Doing Rutland VT to Katahdin starting June 21st. This will be my last segment to complete the AT!

illabelle
06-07-2017, 07:45
Doing Rutland VT to Katahdin starting June 21st. This will be my last segment to complete the AT!

How exciting! Congratulations. :)

linus72
06-07-2017, 09:51
a few sections of central mass, some in NJ, and all of CT (again)

Capt.Scott
06-07-2017, 12:43
SOBO from Katahdin (2009). Now in DWG,PA. To Duncannon in Fall. Hike on.

Carl7
06-07-2017, 21:36
I plan on hiking Southern Maine south as far as I can make it in 15 days starting in mid-July. I have a long-shot at 2,000 this year. I can't wait to see this beautiful section of the trail.

steve_zavocki
06-08-2017, 07:56
142 miles in 2017 so far. Might not be able to hike until December because of new baby due in October (my favorite hiking month)

Last week, I completed an 18 miles day hike in NJ with pregnant wife (Culvers to camp rd) Also Humpback Rocks parking to Riprap Trail in VA over 1.5 days.

Earlier in the year I did Carvers to Erwin and Standing Bear to Hot Springs. I like to skip around and sneak in sections when visiting friends/family. Try to do high teens or 20 mpd.

Completed 16.6% so far which is 363.4 miles. Not bad for living 7 hrs South of the trail.

Next trip, I hope to go to Damascus and go North/South slackpack in December.

LIhikers
06-08-2017, 16:46
This summer my wife and I will be starting at the route 4 trailhead near Rangeley Maine and going north.
We come from where there's no hills to practice on so I suspect we'll be going very slow.
As long as we make it to route 27, near Stratton, we'll be happy

The Kisco Kid
06-08-2017, 17:17
I'm doing half of the 100 mile wilderness, from Monson to Jo Mary Road. I would have liked to go all the way to Katahdin and finish the trail, but my wife is pregnant. I'm grateful to get a few miles in this year!

One Half
06-08-2017, 20:51
I'm doing half of the 100 mile wilderness, from Monson to Jo Mary Road. I would have liked to go all the way to Katahdin and finish the trail, but my wife is pregnant. I'm grateful to get a few miles in this year!

You should do Jo Mary Road to Katahdin instead!

Astro
06-08-2017, 22:21

Hike slow or take a few zeros and I might catch up with you before I complete my hike also. Starting at Hanover on June 26

Toolumpy
06-08-2017, 22:53
Dickeys Gap( Marion Va ) to Daleville, averaged17.4 per day. Best time yet!

reasbej
06-09-2017, 12:29
Would like to complete the Georgia section sometime between July and December. Any thoughts on when is the best time?

illabelle
06-09-2017, 13:04
Would like to complete the Georgia section sometime between July and December. Any thoughts on when is the best time?

If you want to avoid the heat, wait till Sept or later. Ideally I'd pick late October to mid-November. Not sure when fall colors peak, but there should still be plenty to see during that time frame.

Uncle Joe
06-09-2017, 15:22
My next section is Winding Stair to the NOC! Not sure of the timing yet, though.

Mugthumper
06-09-2017, 15:39
Springer to Bland, VA has been the plan this year. However, due to my wife being called out of town near my start date and the August 21st eclipse, I do not know if I will have enough time to complete it in the remaining allotted time which is about 33 days at 18 miles a day with no zero days. (July 16-Aug 17) I'm a fairly strong hiker and have put in 20+ mile days for 4-5 days at a time but I've never done a stretch like this. I planned to catch a bus home from Wytheville, rest a couple days, drive down to Standing Indian for the eclipse, then head over and hike the Art Loeb trail since I had to cancel my trip last year.

Now I am now considering hiking the Benton Mackaye Loop so that I do not have to plan extra travel or rush my trip. I would hike the BMT northbound and the AT southbound back to Springer. I planned on hiking the Benton Mackaye trail in the next few years but haven't done enough research yet and I would have to plan it fairly quick. I've only been considering this for a couple days but it seems to make the most sense.

Two things are for certain, I'm knocking out a decent chunk of trail this year, and it is going to be dang hot.

Decisions...Decisions...

Bill B
06-11-2017, 18:26
Leaving 6/13, Hudson River to Katahdin...

Pastor Bryon
06-11-2017, 19:50
Passed the 250 mile mark just outside of Marion, VA this February! 2 more sections planned within the next month, then we'll see what the fall brings.

Just as exciting, perhaps, just about got my gear dialed in. Takes a while, IMO, but it has been challenging and fun to experiment and find what helps me HMOH.

jasbb
06-11-2017, 22:04
Just finished a 315 mile section from Luther Hassinger bridge north of Damascus to the Pedlar River Bridge which gives me 800 miles thus far. This section included the McAfee Knob, Tinker Cliffs, Dragons tooth and the Guillotine.

Berserker
06-12-2017, 12:18
...and the August 21st eclipse...
Thanks for this info...I had no clue an eclipse was happening on this day. If all goes well I'll be up on the Presidential traverse on 8/21, so if the weather cooperates this could be really cool. Looked up the details, and it won't be a full eclipse that far North, but it will be pretty close and should be awesome. Here's to crossing my fingers for good weather.

dzierzak
06-12-2017, 12:25
The line of totality crosses the AT in TN and NC. In the Presidentials, you'll get a partial.

Double-D
06-13-2017, 08:36
Just completed the section from Pine Grove Furnace State Park to Port Clinton, PA during the last week of May. This was my 12th straight year doing a week long section hike and have how completed from Springer Mtn. all the way to Port Clinton. Next year I plan to go from Port Clinton to High Point State Park in NJ.

sore ankle
06-13-2017, 10:01
In April I did Eckville Shelter to Mohican Outdoor Center. In May I did Route 7/Sheffield SB to Route 22/Native Landscapes. Last week I went from Mohican Outdoor Center to Wawayanda SP. Now over 1,400 miles. Been sectioning since 2005.

Rain Man
06-13-2017, 17:03
Who's knocking some sections out this year, and what sections? Anyone planning to finish this year?

The Good Lord willing and the creek don't rise, I'll finish this year, over Columbus Day weekend in October.

I have about 1,900 miles done and 300 to go. Have flights booked to do Vermont in July (Mt. Greylock, MA to Hanover, NH), then last half of Maine in September (Caratunk to Katahdin) (plan to attend Trails End Festival afterward). That's about 300 miles total.

Then for grand finale I still need to hike 20 miles from Bears Den Trail Center to ATC HQ in Harpers Ferry.

I will have hiked by every white blaze. Since 2003.

(But if anything comes up, I should finish next year for sure.)

illabelle
06-13-2017, 18:21
That's a pretty cool grand finale, RainMan. Not sure it's better than Katahdin, but still pretty good.

Rain Man
06-14-2017, 09:40
That's a pretty cool grand finale, RainMan. Not sure it's better than Katahdin, but still pretty good.

Well, I've already done Katahdin, back in '04 when I drove to Maine with Mala & Tucker and TBD to pick up my thru-hiker daughter. I figured HF is next-best?

Also much better located for friends and family who want to be there. :)

JPritch
06-14-2017, 19:09
Began in April....Amicalola -> Deep Gap.

Trying to get through the Smokies by year's end.

I'm sectioning in order....tough living right in the heart of VA and not knocking out huge miles in my backyard...but that day will come!

becfoot
06-15-2017, 00:58
Delaware Water Gap NJ to 17A in NY. I've day-hiked piece of NY since I live close.

tflaris
06-15-2017, 18:42
We did Davenport Gap to Damascus, VA in 20 days with 3 zero days.

Ethesis
06-17-2017, 08:50
Completed Thornton Gap to Harpers Ferry in early May finishing Virginia and West Virginia. I've been section hiking since 1998, but not every year . But I have hiked from Springer Mountain to H.F.
Now I trying to decide what next.

my wife and I did that section too. We were ahead of the bubble, met a few February starts and one Marsh start (a Serbian kid from Toronto who looked to have a ten pound base weight, hiked in a hiking dress and was doing 30 mile days).

hodad
06-17-2017, 15:27
I did Front Royal to Harper's Ferry the week-before-last. Need to wrap up the Shannies to have the southern sections complete.
It was a mud pit. The roller coaster was challenging.
Will be flying out to meet my son in Maine next week as he completes the AT. I might be able to do some of the 100-mile wilderness, but there is no way I can keep up with them. Otherwise I'll be supporting him and his tramily through the last 100 from the road crossings at Katahdin Ironworks, Johnson, Jo-Mary, Trio and Golden Roads.

GScout
06-17-2017, 22:11
Doing all of NJ, maybe some NY depending on how many miles I can hike each day. Lots of rain in the forecast!

TSWisla
06-18-2017, 07:18
I am going to hike the GSMNP as well this year! I will start at NOC and get as far as I can. I have similar concerns to you. I am wary of sleeping in shelters and have some concern about bears. It is great to see that you had a great time-inspiration for me!

egilbe
06-18-2017, 08:33
Did another 5.2 mile section from Rt 27 to the summit of North Crocker. Met a group of three sobos on our descent. Nice people. We talked about the differences in attitudes between sobos and nobos. It was refreshing to see a group of hikers actually enjoying their hike.

Rmcpeak
06-18-2017, 16:49
I did Buena Vista to Daleville last week and have now hiked every mile from Pen-Mar Park to Damascus, plus 40 miles from Indian Grave to 19E. I love being on the trail.

rafe
06-18-2017, 17:44
Just finished a short (38 mile) stretch from VA 603 down to Damascus. No ponies. Making up for a couple of blue blazes many years ago.

Berserker
06-20-2017, 12:25
Began in April....Amicalola -> Deep Gap.

Trying to get through the Smokies by year's end.

I'm sectioning in order....tough living right in the heart of VA and not knocking out huge miles in my backyard...but that day will come!
I'm not doing it in order, and I still haven't done all of VA (got 80 miles left...most of it in Shenandoah NP). It's been funny because it's weird to have hiked most of the AT, and not have done stuff that's 1.5 hours from me. Should be hitting that up either this year or next though.

Purposeful Wandering
06-20-2017, 20:38
I'm heading out to complete my next section in a few days. I'm starting Vermont. I've hiked CT and MA so far, working my way steadily north for now. I was originally planning to hike my section beginning Memorial Day weekend, but we've had a lot of rain New England and I heard the mud and black flies were pretty awful, so I decided to push it back.

I assume it'll still be muddy, but hopefully the black flies won't be so bad!

Has anyone been in Vermont this time of year? Are there generally a lot of people out?

Deacon
06-21-2017, 07:43
Boarded the Amtrak at 4:00 this morning in Sandusky Ohio, headed for Rutland Vermont. Will stay at the Yellow Deli tonight then back on the trail headed for Maine.

Rain Man
06-21-2017, 08:01
Have a great hike, Deacon! That's rugged, remote, brutal, and beautiful country ahead if you.

I'll be passing Rutland next month, but only to Hanover. :)

Boarded the Amtrak at 4:00 this morning in Sandusky Ohio, headed for Rutland Vermont. Will stay at the Yellow Deli tonight then back on the trail headed for Maine.

Seatbelt
06-21-2017, 09:15
Will be hiking Bland to Pearisburg in Nov. Can't get out as much or as long as I would like.

ldsailor
06-21-2017, 11:48
Just returned home after going from Marion, VA (Partnership Shelter) to Harper's Ferry in exactly six weeks. The trail miles is 491 miles, but the total miles was well over 500 with all the side trails to water, shelters, waysides in SNP and towns.

I started at Springer last year and hiked to Marion, VA, so I have completed almost half the AT in 13 months. I'm trying to decide now if I want to go back in the Fall for a couple of hundred miles more to put Pennsylvania and the rocks behind me. Ultimately, I should finish the whole trail by 2020.

Berserker
06-21-2017, 12:03

The Good Lord willing and the creek don't rise, I'll finish this year, over Columbus Day weekend in October.

I have about 1,900 miles done and 300 to go. Have flights booked to do Vermont in July (Mt. Greylock, MA to Hanover, NH), then last half of Maine in September (Caratunk to Katahdin) (plan to attend Trails End Festival afterward). That's about 300 miles total.

Then for grand finale I still need to hike 20 miles from Bears Den Trail Center to ATC HQ in Harpers Ferry.

I will have hiked by every white blaze. Since 2003.

(But if anything comes up, I should finish next year for sure.)

Got a couple of ya trying to finish this year. Good luck to you guys. Right now I'm projecting out to finish up sometime in 2019 if all goes well...we'll see.

I've been doing this since the fall of 2007, and have passed every white blaze. Didn't do it in order, but all sections have been Northbound, so I'll complete a NB hike once I finish. Sitting at 485.4 miles to go with a big trip planned late this summer. If I successfully complete that I'll be under 400 miles left by year end.

Back on the trail
06-22-2017, 09:45
In October I plan on flying into New york city grabbing a taxi to the train at grand central and having that train drop me off at the trailhead in NY, then hiking south into NJ.

QiWiz
06-22-2017, 11:09
I'll be doing the Vermont AT in mid-September.

Mugthumper
06-29-2017, 13:41
Change of plans.

I am no longer headed to Springer. I had always planned to officially start my section hike on Springer, and I figure I could do it, but why punish myself with the heat and humidity at this time of year. I am now starting at Harper's Ferry with 4 possible locations to end my hike depending on how many miles I can average. Dalton, MA or MA/VT state line if I average around 17-18 miles a day but I am hopeful that I can get to Rutland or even Hanover but I would have to average 20+. I am optimistic, occasionally to a fault.

I've been walking the local monument steps with a 25 lb pack 4-5 times a week about 2 hours a day, 20 laps which is 3,400 steps and walking some relatively flat trails another 5-8 miles a few times to week with the occasional trail run trying to get my legs ready. Its my first time physically preparing for a trip and I've found that climbing stairs is quite the workout. The first few couple days were more difficult than expected but it is amazing how fast the body can adapt. Hopefully the prep pays off.

PGH1NC
06-29-2017, 18:04
I was at those steps today. What is the elevation of each climb? Assuming McKinley Monument.

Mugthumper
06-29-2017, 18:46
Hi PGH1NC, you are correct, it is the McKinley Monument. I was there today also from around 3:00-5:30 or so. I normally go in the evening sometime after 6 to beat the worst of the sun and heat but had to go earlier today. I unfortunately don't have any idea about the elevation of the climb. I tried to look it up at one point but didn't haven't had any luck finding any information. The only numbers that I have are that the main steps number 96 to the main landing area of the monument and each set of steps on the side of the monument count 37 for a total of 170.

Rain Man
06-29-2017, 21:41
Hopefully the prep pays off.

To me, prep helps me enjoy each day more, not do more miles each day. But then, HYOH.

PGH1NC
06-29-2017, 22:01
I was there from 9:30-1. My son was there with a friend then they did 50 laps, up down = 1 lap. With pack.
I did about 13 with light pack and lots of laps in the shade around the "pool." Have been using Quail Hollow a lot with pack.
Planning SNP at the end of July.

Mugthumper
06-30-2017, 01:43
To me, prep helps me enjoy each day more, not do more miles each day. But then, HYOH.

Where I live, we don't have mountains. We don't even have trails with what I consider to be hills. Everything is fairly flat. I simply want to be prepared to tackle the daily ups and downs. By physically preparing my hope is that I am putting myself in the best possible scenario to accomplish what I set out to do, which is see as much of the trail as I can in my allotted time and enjoy every second of it. Hiking with aching knees and sore feet can sure cut into that enjoyment in a real hurry.

I'm also not much of a camper. In July I'm on the trail between 6-7 I'm usually not making camp until 8:30 as long as I'm not down in some valley. I will always try to find something to explore or some nice scenery and take a good hour lunch break mid day. I never miss an overlook if I can help it. I also find time to pull my camera out a dozen or so times a day although I rarely capture anything worth showing off. It is usually just so I remember a person, a certain moment in time or a point of interest. This time of year, I often find that there is more than enough daylight to take advantage of whatever a trail offers, and sometimes that is just more trail.

The only thing I can think of that would ruin my enjoyment of the trail is my body breaking down in the first few days and ending up in town or spending half my waking hours in my hammock nursing some injury. I simply try to prepare myself physically to reduce the chance of that happening.

Hiking higher miles doesn't necessarily mean less enjoyment. But yea, HYOH I guess.

Mugthumper
06-30-2017, 02:50
I was there from 9:30-1. My son was there with a friend then they did 50 laps, up down = 1 lap. With pack.
I did about 13 with light pack and lots of laps in the shade around the "pool." Have been using Quail Hollow a lot with pack.
Planning SNP at the end of July.

I might start heading over there in the morning if I can't make it in the evening. The sun really wore me down today. It took me a half hour longer than it usually does when I walk it in the evening. Not to mention the intense farmers tan that I have acquired. Wowza on the 50 laps. That is a lot of steps. Maybe I'll bump into you out there one of these days.

Quail Hollow is also where I've been walking during the mornings this past week. My son has had summer camp nearby this past week which leaves me with about 3 hours to kill before I pick him up. I'll likely be there again tomorrow morning.

You have probably been there but if not check out Mohican State Park. It has a 25 mile mountain bike trail that is also designated for hiking. It is better hiking than anything else not named the Buckeye Trail, that I've found locally over the years. It has somewhere around 3100 feet of elevation gain total. It also has 3 backcountry sites that only require a free permit. I was out there last a couple weeks ago, with my family for a day hike. I carried my 2 year old on my back in her pack and all the food drinks (about 45 lbs), and my 6 and 4 year old were able to complete roughly 8 miles with minimal fuss, so it is still fairly easy, but I found that it provided more of a challenge than most anything in say CVNP. Its the best place I've found if you are ever looking for a spontaneous overnighter without driving down to Wayne or over into PA.

MtDoraDave
07-02-2017, 13:31
I just got home from my most recent hike; from Devils Fork Gap to Dennis Cove Rd - 110 miles between Hot Springs and Damascus. Very beautiful section, several waterfalls and cascades, lots of overgrown places, lots of hazardous footing for people who aren't sure footed. I don't know if I would have noticed that last part except that I was hiking with a couple women for a few days who aren't "sure footed" and they were forced to hike very slowly.

I met a guy on the way down into Erwin (near Uncle Johnny's Hostel) who mentioned white blaze and seemed to recognize my screen name - but he didn't mention his. Hmmm... wonder who he was.

Shortly after stopping into Uncle Johnny's, I stayed in Curley Maple Gap Shelter, where a guy named WickenWitch was living for a month... interesting guy, had the place cleaned up nicely and had moth balls spread around inside the shelter, so no mice.

Stopped into Roan High Knob Shelter, the highest elevation shelter on the AT, didn't stay, but got a pic. Good sized 2 story shelter with door and windows that actually close.

Stayed at Overmountain Shelter, the converted barn (tented there) situated on a beautiful location!

Went .1 mile out of the way to see Jones Falls, beautiful, took 2 pictures, then proceeded on my way ... 30 minutes later I recognized a few things. Crap, I went the wrong way after visiting the falls - embarrassing to admit. Ended up getting to Mountaineer Shelter (cool 3 level) just before dark.

Great section, great views, great people as usual. Only 3 mornings of rain hiking.

elynsteele
07-05-2017, 10:46
Thinking about a Maine sobo section from Monson to Rte 17. Will get to Kennebec and decide how I feel. July 19th start date.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

LIhikers
07-06-2017, 16:44
Tomorrow my wife Kathy and I head to Maine to hike a few miles.
We plan to hike route 4, Rangeley, to route 27 ,Stratton, and then do more depending on how we're handling the mountains and how time is going.

Frederic
07-07-2017, 02:38
Did Eckville Shelter to Mohican Outdoor Center in the end of June. Next will be Mohican Outdoor Center to Wawayanda SP.

steve_zavocki
07-07-2017, 07:10
Since I posted earlier on the thread, I have a new trip planned. I found a flight to Newark from Florida for only $113 RT and I will be using trains and buses and hiking from Bear Mt Inn to Pawling. This will give me 46 more miles and put me over 200 for the year. I still hope for a December trip to happen.

Falls Down Goes Boom
07-07-2017, 13:19
I'm heading out to complete my next section in a few days. I'm starting Vermont. I've hiked CT and MA so far, working my way steadily north for now. I was originally planning to hike my section beginning Memorial Day weekend, but we've had a lot of rain New England and I heard the mud and black flies were pretty awful, so I decided to push it back.

I assume it'll still be muddy, but hopefully the black flies won't be so bad!

Has anyone been in Vermont this time of year? Are there generally a lot of people out?
How did it go? My sister and I finished off Massachusetts and went up into Vermont during the first couple weeks of June. The first ~4 dys in Massachusetts were glorious (sunny days, highs in the 60's). I highly recommend a second breakfast on top of Greylock - got eggs Benedict at the lodge and sat outside at the picnic table enjoying the food and the view. Shelters in Mass were in good shape, privies were stocked with toilet paper, trails were generally well-maintained. The black flies were tolerable.

...And then the rain started once we got close to the Vermont border. Two solid days of rain with highs of 47 and lows around 39. We were miserable. We trudged through mud and water for two days. On the second day, we stopped early and climbed into our sleeping bags to warm up. To boot, none of the Vermont privies had any toilet paper. It was miserable, and we debated getting off the trail, in part because we were running low on toilet paper. Fortunately, some trail magic appeared in the form of a couple of weekend hikers with toilet paper to spare!

...Then the sun came out, as did hordes of black flies. The feeling of many (dozens? hundreds?) black flies bouncing off my face while hiking is something I will not soon forget. Thank God for DEET. We were still trudging through mud, but most of the running water was avoidable.

As far as people go, we probably saw 4 - 12 hikers per day. I think one night there was only one other person at the shelter with us. Saw some SOBOs as well as a bunch of NOBOs.

Dan Roper
07-14-2017, 20:56
Starting my next section tomorrow after lunch. Damascus to around Mount Rogers Visitors Center.

I started section hiking at Springer in 2007 with my oldest son, John, who was 12. Jack, who was 10, stayed home. Beginning in 2008, the three of us walked every step of the way to Damascus (and Jack and I filled in that opening section he had missed in '07). Tomorrow it's only Jack and I, as the oldest has work conflicts. I'll miss his company, but I'm glad to be returning to the AT for more father/son backpacking.

PaBroadleaf
07-14-2017, 21:55
Is there a better time and thread to make my first post? I don't think so! Starting my first overnight trek in almost 20 years tomorrow AM from Swatara Gap to 183. Years ago I did a few overnights around pulpit rock/the Pinnacle so it won't be my first time on the AT. I had a mind to try and get to Port Clinton but I didn't want to be too ambitious on my first time back out(other than car camping)!

dadgad
07-17-2017, 13:49
Guess I can throw my entry in here. Hooked up with a buddy from high school (class of '73) this past weekend, and did Compton Gap to Manassas Gap. Two old fat men hiking, a sight to behold. But we did pretty well. Planning our next trip for the fall.

Captn
07-17-2017, 17:55
Sudden downsizing at work produced a rare opportunity. Tentatively planning on doing all of VA starting in mid August.

Any words of wisdom???

Debbie
07-20-2017, 14:12
Planning a section hike from NY301 in Fahnestock SP south to NY 17 or whatever I have time for, next month. I only have the sections between Mohican Outdoor Center in NJ and NY301 before I complete the AT. I'm basically on the 20 year plan, using the word "plan" loosely.

sore ankle
07-27-2017, 08:15
Completed the section from North Adams/Route 2 to Hanover, NH, from 7/12-21. It was a really good hike. Met several thru-hikers, both NOBO and SOBO. Water sources were abundant. The trail was a muddy mess but that's to be expected. Stayed at Green Mountain House and Mountain Meadows Lodge, both were great. Getting close to 1,600 miles completed--been at it since 2005.

becfoot
07-27-2017, 20:12
Doing the New Jersey section in August with a friend of mine. I cannot begin to tell you how much I learned from everyone on WB. Thanks, you guys!!!!!!!!

Heliotrope
07-28-2017, 08:27
Just completed Lee, MA to North Adams. It was my girlfriends' first backpacking trip. She was rewarded with her first black bear encounter as it ran across the trail in front of us.

Heading out in late August for my annual 100 MW trip. Hard to resist when it's so close.

buoyantbeans
08-01-2017, 14:30
Returning to the AT for my second LASH on August 25 to September 18 from Gorham, NH to Katahdin. In October, 2015 I completed the southern 300 miles of the AT. I can't wait to return.

Bearfoot Sumo

ChrisMek
08-02-2017, 09:26
Doing the New Jersey section in August with a friend of mine. I cannot begin to tell you how much I learned from everyone on WB. Thanks, you guys!!!!!!!!

I did this Last year... This year, I am doing the NY section starting at Hoyt Road and walking to my home near Wawayanda. Start on September 8

Rmcpeak
08-03-2017, 08:53
I'm going back out early next week to knock out 19E to Damascus. That'll be 218.5 miles for me so far in 2017 (not counting the 5 mile RT up and back with my kids to Rice Field -- my favorite hike of the year.) If next week's hike is a success it will take me to about 725 miles and I will have Pen-Mar to Erwin completely hiked and all of my sections contiguous. That'll leave 350 miles or so to complete the southern half. I have enough momentum that I can hope to do that in 2018.

Rain Man
08-03-2017, 15:20
I finished polishing off all of Vermont last week. In September, I plan to do the same to Maine. That will leave me less than 20 miles from Bears Den hostel in VA into Harpers Ferry to complete the whole dang thang, probably Columbus Day weekend in October. :)

Rmcpeak
08-03-2017, 15:52
I finished polishing off all of Vermont last week. In September, I plan to do the same to Maine. That will leave me less than 20 miles from Bears Den hostel in VA into Harpers Ferry to complete the whole dang thang, probably Columbus Day weekend in October. :)

Harper's Ferry seems like a good place to finish. Congrats in advance. Keep us posted.

Rmcpeak
08-03-2017, 15:54

The single most delicious can of soda I've ever had in my life came out of the Bear's Den Hostel fridge. So good and cold.

tdoczi
08-03-2017, 15:57
That will leave me less than 20 miles from Bears Den hostel in VA into Harpers Ferry to complete the whole dang thang
so a mere 5 days of slack packing left?

Rain Man
08-03-2017, 23:50
so a mere 5 days of slack packing left?

Well, yes, not counting half of Maine to do in Sept. :)

TKE402
08-04-2017, 15:39
Doing MA from Sheffield to CT border in August and Bennington VT to Stratton in Sept.

Deacon
08-14-2017, 13:42
I just got home from the airport, and proud to say I finally completed the AT. My last section was from Rt. 4 near Rutland VT. to Katahdin, June 22 to August 7.

Two thinks I'll say about Maine,
1) My god it was hard!
2) It was spectacular, especially Katahdin!

I met some great people along the way. Twice I crossed paths with Rick Marks and family, the gentleman hiking with ALS. Hiked with a lot of great people including Soul Flower, Mix, Trail Snail, Moving Target, and hiked with Medicine Man the last two weeks.

Also ran into Astro, from this site, in New Hampshire.

illabelle
08-14-2017, 13:51
I just got home from the airport, and proud to say I finally completed the AT. My last section was from Rt. 4 near Rutland VT. to Katahdin, June 22 to August 7.

1) My god it was hard!

I met some great people along the way. Twice I crossed paths with Rick Marks and family, the gentleman hiking with ALS. Hiked with a lot of great people including Soul Flower, Mix, Trail Snail, Moving Target, and hiked with Medicine Man the last two weeks.

Good for you Deacon! And your list of two "thinks": yes, and yes!

Rmcpeak
08-14-2017, 19:17

1) My god it was hard!

Congrats! Do you have a journal or blog somewhere where I can learn about your sections, schedule, etc?

Deacon
08-15-2017, 06:01
Congrats! Do you have a journal or blog somewhere where I can learn about your sections, schedule, etc?

Trailjournals.com/deacon

C2
08-17-2017, 17:07
Planning a section from Pearisburg VA to Harpers Ferry WV during the month of September.

hikernutcasey
08-18-2017, 09:21
Leaving NC on 9/16 heading to Killington Vt and hiking to Franconia Notch. Can't wait! This trip will put me at exactly 2/3's of the total length of the trail. Anything I need to know about this section? Any tips or suggestions are welcome :)

linus72
08-18-2017, 09:28
finishing all but the last 17 northern most miles of MA this year (unless there's an unseasonably warm weekend in november) and starting NJ. Next season we will finish NJ and MA and start either MD or PA

Rain Man
08-18-2017, 10:14
I just got home from the airport, and proud to say I finally completed the AT.

CONGRATS, Deacon!!!

shrapnel
08-18-2017, 23:16
I did have a question about weather. I was going to do a section from Rt.12 Vermont past Killington. This would be around early November. How bad will killington be? I do not plan on camping there, but walking through it. I know descending will help conditions, but I imagine it could get nasty up top. Anyone with experience, advice, all will be appreciated. Thank you.

Berserker
09-05-2017, 13:15
Got back from this trip late last week. Did Crawford Notch to Pinkham Notch in the Whites over a 3 day period, and then did Dream Lake (came in on Peabody Trail because I had gone up to that point last year) to ME 4 (Rangeley). So now I have 80 miles in VA, 90 miles in PA and ME 4 to Katahdin left to do.

The trip went well overall, but it was another beating like last year...don't know if I'm just getting old or what, but this stuff up in NH and ME is just tough. So I had this split into 3 segments. The first one was the piece in the Whites. I stayed at Lake of the Clouds the first night and Madison Spring the second night. Carrying a small pack with just clothing and lunches was awesome (I carried a full pack through most of the Whites last year). The weather the entire time I was up there was fantastic, and the 1 night it rained I was in a hotel. So the hike up to Lake of the Clouds was pretty neat with a lot of nice clear views. The next morning Mt Washington did "Mt. Washington stuff" and was in a cloud. So didn't see crap up there, but on the way to Madison it cleared off and the rest of the day was clear. Sat at Madison and watched the eclipse, which was pretty neat. The lighting dimmed for a while and it got cool, and then it brightened back up and got warm again. My buddy had the glasses so I could actually look at it too. The next morning was clear, and the hike from Madison down to Pinkham Notch on the ridge was probably one of my favorite parts of the Whites. Also got to see the Top of Mt. Washington unobstructed (albeit from a distance) finally.

The 2nd segment was Dream Lake to Grafton Notch SP. This one roughed me up pretty good. Part of it was my own fault though. The first day was just a short hike up the Peabody Trail to Gentian Pond. Then the next day was to Full Goose with the 3rd day being the hike to the car. I had a lot of anxiety over Mahoosuc Notch because of everything I have heard about it, and it turned out to be super cool. The only mistake I made is that I blew through there like I was still in my 20s, and I think that got me later in the day. I actually made it through in about 1 hour and 15 minutes. What I didn't know was the "treat" awaiting me on the other side...the arm. That's hands down the toughest climb I have ever done. It's just so dang steep with so much hard angled rock slab. My knees where toast when I got to the top, and I still had 5 miles to go to get to the car. So got to the car and took a zero the next day.

The 3rd segment was supposed to be Grafton Notch SP to ME 4 (Rangeley), but I mixed it up and day hiked ME 17 to ME 4...I can't believe it, there's actually stuff you can walk on in ME that's not a rock scramble :D. So then the next day I went in at Grafton and really enjoyed getting to the summit of Baldpate as the weather was literally perfect that day...low 70s, very light breeze and a few puffy clouds with sun...absolute bliss. The rest of this section was neat, but the cumulative wear and tear just got to me by the end and I was super happy to get to the car at ME 17. Part of the problem was I did from Sawyer Notch to the road all in one day, which is 15.8 miles per AWOL's guide.

So anyway, a great trip and I got done what I went up there to do. Now I just need to figure out how to break up this next piece as I plan to go from ME 4 to Monson in 1 trip, and it looks like there's still a good 40 miles of tough stuff at the beginning of that...was hoping I was already done with the toughest of the tough stuff, but apparently not.

Berserker
09-05-2017, 13:23
Awesome job, congratulations!

1) My god it was hard!
In response to #1, not only ME but the Whites too! Can't fully respond to #2 yet.

Berserker
10-18-2017, 10:32
Did Simmons Gap to The Pinnacles parking area in SNP last weekend, and had a great time. It was an interesting contrast going from doing some of the Whites and the first part of ME back in late August to hiking in SNP...went from the hardest to the easiest. I couldn't believe I was hiking 12 miles in 5 hours, it was awesome :D

Anyway, the weekend was bookended with some weird weather. Friday was super foggy and then a front blew through Sunday night cooling it way down. Saturday and Sunday during the day were clear and warm. Got to see an inversion to the West on Saturday morning that was absolutely phenomenal. Then there was another one to the East on Sunday morning. I'll try and post a pic of it at some point if I remember.

tawa
10-18-2017, 20:49
Finished Shenandoah National to Pen Mar the past three weeks. Have also completed Springer to Damascus in one outing. Also . about 50 miles around Perisburg.
Plan to leave Pen Mar as early as possible and attempt to go north to Katadin.
Then come home during July and August.
Then go back to Rockfish Gap to Perisburg during the fall months.

tawa
10-18-2017, 20:57
Finished Shenandoah National to Pen Mar the past three weeks. Have also completed Springer to Damascus in one outing. Also . about 50 miles around Perisburg.
Plan to leave Pen Mar as early as possible and attempt to go north to Katadin.
Then come home during July and August.
Then go back to Rockfish Gap to Perisburg during the fall months.

Berserker
10-19-2017, 09:53
I'll try and post a pic of it at some point if I remember.
As promised here's the inversion. The picture was taken a little North of High Top Hut and is looking out West towards Harrisonburg. The ridgeline way in the distance is the one near Massanutten, so yeah that entire valley was filled with clouds...it was freakin' sweet!