PDA

View Full Version : Crocs or Chacos

bayview
06-05-2017, 17:41
Not sure if this has been batted around, but reviewing I did not see recent but what is better camp shoe? Both have pros and cons. Chacos are better for town, wet conditions and staying on feet but on the heavy side. Crocs are light, stay dry, and comfortable.

Greenlight
06-05-2017, 20:21
I just went to Rural King a few days ago and got a pair of knock-off Crocs for five bucks. After my section hike from Damascus to Partnership Shelter, wishing I had brought swap-out footwear for wear at the end of the day, I finally investigated and have been wearing my knockoff-Crocs "Crocoffs?" from the time I get home until I go to bed. I love them. But I don't think I'd pack anything heavier than them while hiking.

Not sure if this has been batted around, but reviewing I did not see recent but what is better camp shoe? Both have pros and cons. Chacos are better for town, wet conditions and staying on feet but on the heavy side. Crocs are light, stay dry, and comfortable.

chknfngrs
06-06-2017, 07:32
Carry one of each?

English Stu
06-06-2017, 08:07
I use Teva Barracudas.

jundar
06-06-2017, 08:42
The knockoff crocs that I got at Walmart made my feet sore walking around at the end of the day. I'd go with something more comfortable myself, but you may find it's not an issue. Just buy a cheap pair and see how they feel.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J320A using Tapatalk

The Kisco Kid
06-06-2017, 09:57
Chocos/tevas are super heavy. They weigh more than a lot of trail runners. Crocs are much lighter option for camp shoes. Or flip-flops

Astro
06-06-2017, 15:18
Try Vivobarefoot Ultra's. So much lighter than crocs. I always bought them on sale.

https://www.vivobarefoot.com/us/mens/off-road/ultra-3-plus-mens?colour=Black

turtle fast
06-07-2017, 11:15
Crocks. It's normally a lighter weight option, use in stream crossings, in gross showers, and in a pinch as trail shoes that you can use with socks to use in colder temperatures. Comes in a lot of colors so if you like camouflage or be able to find them quickly and be like Mario Batalli...get orange.

HooKooDooKu
06-07-2017, 12:19
I find Crocs to be too heavy as well.
I'd love the Vivobarefoot option, but it's a pretty expensive shoe.
You'll find Croc knock-offs and similar shoes that are as light at the Vivobarefoot, and cheaper too. But might not be as comfortable long term.
What I'm currently using is pretty much THIS (http://www.basspro.com/RedHead-Ragin-Water-Shoes-for-Men/product/120829053621886/) shoe I found at WalMart at the time for about $10.

Whack-a-mole
06-08-2017, 09:42
I swear I'm not trying to be rude, but why don't you just take the shoes that you want to take for petes sake. My gosh, it seems people can't even go poop without asking someone's opinion about it.

Longboysfan
06-08-2017, 15:52
Crocks for me.
Last thing packed - tied onto the back of the pack.

bigcranky
06-08-2017, 16:24
Been carrying the same pair of Waldies camp clogs that I got at Neels Gap in June, 2003. They are a very soft rubber clog, like a Croc but soft. Much more comfortable, but alas they are long gone. They are ~11 ounces, which seems like a lot (heck, that's half the weight of my *tent*) but I make it back in comfort every hike.

I like Chacos for around town, and you could hike in them, but I don't carry them hiking.

Puddlefish
06-08-2017, 16:36
Neither... I'd go with Cushe. Has a fabric upper, so that your feet have a small chance of actually drying while you're moving around camp. I started the trail with vivobarefoot, but after a day of wet/sweaty hiking feet, I found I had no desire to stick my feet in a camp shoe that was effectively a cold plastic container.

HooKooDooKu
06-08-2017, 16:40
I swear I'm not trying to be rude, but why don't you just take the shoes that you want to take for petes sake.
???

You're not quoting anyone's response, so I can only assume this is in reference to the OP's question... and apparently the OP hasn't decided which shoes he wants to take and is looking for input to help him decide... pretty much like what, 90% of the gear related questions we see out here?

Whack-a-mole
06-09-2017, 16:13
The two shoes of choice were listed, along with the pros and cons of each. The OP already has the info. Pick which one works for you. It's not rocket science. I swear I'm not trying to be rude, but sometimes some gear choices are just that, a personal choice. Pick which one is best for YOU, and go with it.

nsherry61
06-10-2017, 00:44
. . . what is better camp shoe? Both have pros and cons. Chacos are better for town, wet conditions and staying on feet but on the heavy side. Crocs are light, stay dry, and comfortable.
What do you want your camp shoes for? Walking around camp you probably don't often need to worry too much about wet conditions staying on feet or looking good when you go into town. So what is the up side to the Chacos as camp shoes? I love my Chacos. Heck, I use them as my backpacking footwear sometimes, but I sure as heck never carry them as camp shoes.

AngryGerman
06-19-2017, 22:07
HMMM... As simple as the question sounds OP it reads very different. Are you concerned with shoes that function in camp or are you concerned about shoes that look good in town or shoes that do well at river crossings? Are you hiking in your camp shoes? IMO; I am always looking at the lightest option. If comfort comes along with the UL weight I feel like I got a bonus feature. Lastly, you are the one carrying the shoes!

Francis Sawyer
06-23-2017, 10:01
I swear I'm not trying to be rude, but why don't you just take the shoes that you want to take for petes sake. My gosh, it seems people can't even go poop without asking someone's opinion about it.
Bravo!!!!!'!!!!!! My god ! Thank you for saying it! (I'm nearly in tears). I couldn't agree with you more. The endless hemming and hawing , a bivvy sack or a hammock I can't decide , what are the pros and cons? What kind of toilet paper should I use? What if I get monkey butt. What if it rains? What if I get cold? Jeeze! Thank you Thank you. You and I may be accused of hate speech or triggering somebody but it needed to be said.

lighteffect95
06-23-2017, 11:28
I'm a big fan of vibram five fingers. I sometimes even hike in them, also double as a good swimming shoe

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Time Zone
06-23-2017, 18:15
Bravo!!!!!'!!!!!! My god ! Thank you for saying it! (I'm nearly in tears). I couldn't agree with you more. The endless hemming and hawing , a bivvy sack or a hammock I can't decide , what are the pros and cons? What kind of toilet paper should I use? What if I get monkey butt. What if it rains? What if I get cold? Jeeze! Thank you Thank you. You and I may be accused of hate speech or triggering somebody but it needed to be said.

Seems like you're being triggered by someone asking for advice. Some people find the gear experiences and thoughts of others useful in guiding their purchase decisions. I find that neither shocking nor worthy of disparagement.

Hikingjim
06-24-2017, 02:07

May be some truth to this. I have a special strategy to avoid reading threads that are obviously about topics I don't care about it. It's pretty good and I will share it: I don't click into those threads.
But sometimes I do want to see people hash out the pros and cons of the latest .4 oz spade. So then I click that thread.

Megapixel
06-24-2017, 07:19
I just finished a cup of coffee. would it be ok if I take a poop now, or should I wait until after I leave the house?

rhyolite
06-24-2017, 09:42
I don't know how fads get started, but I've seen more Crocs strapped on people's packs than any other camp shoe. In short, my opinion is neither is good for through hiking because of excess weight. If you don't care about how many pounds your pack weighs, Chacos are the best. I hiked the entire John Muir Trail in them! The soles are Vibram and the adjustable straps keep them on your feet. I'd say the only con is that the rubber they use picks up bacteria easily and unless you sanitize them frequently, they get funky smelling fast.

bayview
06-25-2017, 18:10
Some people are rude. If you do not like what is being asked then skip on by. I was asking merely for people's experience with either as I know what I have experienced doing something and people ask and i explain my beliefs with them. Is this site not for helping people with decisions or are some people elitist and put down people that don't have the same experience. After my section hike of crocs, I was happy with the choice and used input from positive helpful posts not over riotous opinionated closedmineded people that criticize everyone different from themselves.

wiiawiwb
07-04-2017, 07:21

Uh....because maybe someone found a shoe you're not aware of and it might be better than what you have.

hikermiker
07-04-2017, 07:34
That is pretty much why I stopped looking at this site for years. FWIW Crocs are lighter, Waldies lighter yet & Walmart knockoffs are even lighter. But if I anticipate stream crossings, wading, or easy graded trail, I will bring Chacos and will occasionally hike in them.

ScareBear
07-04-2017, 18:21
That is pretty much why I stopped looking at this site for years. FWIW Crocs are lighter, Waldies lighter yet & Walmart knockoffs are even lighter. But if I anticipate stream crossings, wading, or easy graded trail, I will bring Chacos and will occasionally hike in them.

These are on seasonal close-out at Walgreens. Great shoe. You can even hike in them. I've gone up and down Max Patch while wearing them...

https://www.walgreens.com/store/c/hounds-ultralites-men's-shoes-assortment/ID=prod6348637-product