PDA

View Full Version : Comparing rain jackets.

Ethesis
06-06-2017, 17:13
http://www.switchbacktravel.com/best-rain-jackets

after the wet out and rain through experience I had with some very pretty rain jackets from Costco I was curious about jackets that would work for days of rain like I hiked in a year ago in Virginia where I used ponchos and a heavy hard shell.

Which rain jackets other than Frogg Togs have you used that worked after several days of steady rain?

I have found myself just not a poncho guy though I've made an effort and im not interested in something that will fail me after an hour or two (so I'd appreciate heads up about jackets that have worked or not worked for people).

Thanks!

globetruck
06-06-2017, 19:35
It depends on a lot of factors - temp/humidity, sweat, etc. below about 55-60 degrees I have good luck with my ArcTeryx hardshell. Great fit, articulated elbows/shoulders, big pit zips when needed. Downside is that it's not ultralight. My Beta SL is about 13 oz which is respectable but about twice as heavy as an OR Helium. But for me (tall guy with stupidly long arms), the OR just isn't long enough in the sleeves or waist.

Above about 70 degrees, I'll eventually get sweaty though.

MuddyWaters
06-06-2017, 20:31
Theres a sayin..

Rain jackets dont keep you dry
They keep you warm

True in my experience, for any significant extended activity

Some may be better than others, but I always end up wet, soooo....

Some spend thousands of $ in search of that which do not exist

Slo-go'en
06-06-2017, 20:41
I meet a woman at a shelter in Vermont who had hiked all day in a hard rain. She was dressed in a Cuben Fiber rain suit and effectively dry under it. I was soaked to the bone with a flimsy poncho that day. I need to get me one of those rain suits, damn the cost :)

Rmcpeak
06-06-2017, 20:58
I really like my Packa though I haven't used it all that much, but when I have it has kept me dry.

saltysack
06-06-2017, 21:35
OR helium 2 has lasted several years but last trip few months ago in Va it wet thru after solid day of heavy rain ....honestly as muddy said it wasn't cold enough to not wet out as I was pushing my mpd....OR actually replaced it after speaking with them....great company....any rain jacket will wet out but some may vent better allowing for a wider temp range (inside and out) before wetting out..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Runner2017
06-07-2017, 01:06
There is no perfect rain jacket. It all depends. I have Outdoor Research Realm which the link article highly praises but I dislike some of its features out of my own experience. For example, it's designed for ice climbing and mountaineering, so you need to wear a big helm ideally; otherwise, the hood is too big and rain can pour directly into neck. I also have Outlook Research Maximus Gortex Pro hard shell that I believe it's the best rain jacket for certain conditions but not for thru-hike. If you want a rain jacket for thru-hike purpose, a cuben fiber jacket or poncho is more ideal.

saltysack
06-07-2017, 08:02
There is no perfect rain jacket. It all depends. I have Outdoor Research Realm which the link article highly praises but I dislike some of its features out of my own experience. For example, it's designed for ice climbing and mountaineering, so you need to wear a big helm ideally; otherwise, the hood is too big and rain can pour directly into neck. I also have Outlook Research Maximus Gortex Pro hard shell that I believe it's the best rain jacket for certain conditions but not for thru-hike. If you want a rain jacket for thru-hike purpose, a cuben fiber jacket or poncho is more ideal.

Cuben doesn't breath.....curious as to it being ideal?

cmoulder
06-07-2017, 09:29
I'd also have reservations about a cuben jacket.

However, I really like my cuben Zpacks poncho... lots of ventilation, covers the pack, easy on and off, stays put even in strong wind. I keep mine in a side pack pocket on days when rain is likely and it can be removed from the pocket and deployed in a matter of seconds without taking off the pack, then removed just as easily when/if(?) the rain lets up. :sun

That's with a UL pack with zero dangly s#!t on the outside, not a mondo heavy-hauler setup with a bunch of stuff hanging outside—that would make it a somewhat more tedious process.

Deacon
06-07-2017, 09:59
I meet a woman at a shelter in Vermont who had hiked all day in a hard rain. She was dressed in a Cuben Fiber rain suit and effectively dry under it. I was soaked to the bone with a flimsy poncho that day. I need to get me one of those rain suits, damn the cost :)

True, my ZPacks rain jacket never leaked rainwater, but unless temps were very cool, say mid sixty or lower, I did sweat to the point of being very wet.

linus72
06-07-2017, 12:57
I have a bit of a specific fetish when it comes to gear addictions - RAINCOATS! I get teased regularly by my wife and friends because I seem to have a new one each month! what can I say, I like to test out gear especially water resistance vs weight. I did a video of my 4 most used raincoats... if you can stand my ugly mug, check out my leetle video... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DsglPzxLh40&t=1s

Ethesis
06-07-2017, 13:20
I really like my Packa though I haven't used it all that much, but when I have it has kept me dry.
How do you keep your arms dry?

Deacon
06-07-2017, 16:20
How do you keep your arms dry?

It has sleeves. It's not a poncho.

Elaikases
06-07-2017, 21:46
I have a bit of a specific fetish when it comes to gear addictions - RAINCOATS! I get teased regularly by my wife and friends because I seem to have a new one each month! what can I say, I like to test out gear especially water resistance vs weight. I did a video of my 4 most used raincoats... if you can stand my ugly mug, check out my leetle video... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DsglPzxLh40&t=1s

Watched your video, have you used the PreCip and the Helium in steady rain? They both look good.

I'm looking for something that works in steady rain, having spent a week in it a while back and getting tired with my poncho and wet arms, and the heavy hard shell rain coat I picked up on the trail (ok, not that heavy, but heavier than UL) was ok, just heavy.

Anyway, enjoyed the video.

FreeGoldRush
06-07-2017, 22:35
Recently I spent two days in a row hiking with a rain jacket and rain kilt. The rain kilt worked great. Plenty of ventilation and it kept my shorts dry. Sweating under the rain jacket was a big problem, but it did provide warmth.

Elaikases
06-07-2017, 22:41
Recently I spent two days in a row hiking with a rain jacket and rain kilt. The rain kilt worked great. Plenty of ventilation and it kept my shorts dry. Sweating under the rain jacket was a big problem, but it did provide warmth.

I'm getting more and more partial to rain kilts as time goes on.

Patriot76
06-08-2017, 02:25
I use the Frogg Togs as my main rain gear and will carry a poncho on a regular basis. The poncho serves as shelter as well as rain gear. Between the middle of fall to the middle of spring I use a military poncho or mattress covers with liner. The rest of the time I use a nylon poncho with a liner.

Any equipment I haul must serve many purposes, be cost effective, and hopefully lightweight.

Imasphere
06-08-2017, 11:54
Section Hiker did a review of the Lightheart gear rain jacket, a silnylon non breathable jacket. He basically claims that waterproof breathable jackets don't really breath and that because they wet out you also end up wet. I kind of agree with him. All the Goretex jackets I've had wetted out.
Here's the review :
http://sectionhiker.com/lightheart-gear-rain-jacket-review/

Sent from my LG-H831 using Tapatalk

cmoulder
06-08-2017, 12:06
With any rain jacket it's nice to have big pit zips to vent moisture, and it helps if it is somewhat oversized as well due to 1) increased surface area that promotes evaporation and 2) increased "bellows effect" which moves air around somewhat.

I have used a Packa in some prolonged and wet conditions and it does indeed work very well, although I find the pack cover integrated with the rain shell just doesn't work for me from a practicality standpoint.

clusterone
06-08-2017, 12:53
I know there is a lot of debate about the claims made...but my Stoic Vaporshell has never let me down. When everyone dives into their shelter I pop on my rain suit (yes I have the pants also) and go enjoy mother nature! They also breath amazingly well, making them just fine for hiking as needed. Could be a bit lighter, but based on performance I can not see swapping to anything else. Dreading the day I have to replace them.

https://backpackinglight.com/forums/topic/47329/

linus72
06-08-2017, 13:26
ive used both in steady rain. both held up great. really a matter of if you want the weight penalty of the pit zips and extra pockets. only one i dont use for that kinda weather is the houdini as its a windshirt with some DWR not a fully waterproof coat. Thanks for watching!

Ethesis
06-08-2017, 13:36
Section Hiker did a review of the Lightheart gear rain jacket, a silnylon non breathable jacket. He basically claims that waterproof breathable jackets don't really breath and that because they wet out you also end up wet. I kind of agree with him. All the Goretex jackets I've had wetted out.
Here's the review :

thank you!

Appreciate the pointer.

Ethesis
06-08-2017, 13:47
Here's the review :

that was interesting. Led me to:

https://sierradesigns.com/elite-cagoule-prior-model-year/

and

http://www.trailspace.com/gear/sierra-designs/elite-cagoule/

i need more more rain and friends with gear to walk in it.

mychaljohn
06-08-2017, 13:55
that was interesting. Led me to:

https://sierradesigns.com/elite-cagoule-prior-model-year/

and

http://www.trailspace.com/gear/sierra-designs/elite-cagoule/

i need more more rain and friends with gear to walk in it.
Gorton's.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

QiWiz
06-08-2017, 14:08
Finding for the Holy Grail is easier than finding a perfect hiking rain solution. I find that eVent, Goretex, Frog Toggs, and some proprietary WPB membrane garments keep me dry in camp when I'm not active. If my base and/or mid layers are not soaking wet, I can often get these pretty dry with body heat leading to evaporation of moisture through the garment's membrane. So much for WPB garment positives. On trail, they do not keep me dry but keep me warm (the inner warm wet is not cooled off by the outer cold rain). If the garment has pit zips or is a poncho or Packa, ventilation is better and that can reduce inner wetness to varying degrees. For hiking all day in the rain, I like the silnylon Packa the best, though the dark side is when you need something out of your pack, as I find I have to take off the Packa with the pack, thereby exposing myself to whatever rain is falling. Keeping snacks and water in reachable pockets helps me need to do this less. In camp I like the Packa less well - harder to dry out when the rain stops; harder to put on and take off when getting into and out of my tent/shelter; not breathable to dry out base and mid layers I'm wearing. There is an eVent Packa, but it is relatively heavy and expensive.

Ethesis
06-08-2017, 17:05
Those are good points--and why I am still struggling.

http://www.questoutfitters.com/patterns-jackets-cart.htm#Jacket%20Patterns

Imasphere
06-08-2017, 22:17
Nice thing that Cagoule. It's kind of like a hybrid between a poncho and a silnylon jacket. I personally own a Montbell Versalite but I find it doesn't breathe at all and wets out pretty easily. I'm a bit disappointed with it.

scrabbler
06-08-2017, 22:35
Packa fan here. I'll bring a UL 4oz Sierra Designs jacket for little or no rain forecasts. If I know it will be raining, the Packa comes along. Its a little unconventional, and hard to grasp how great it is until you actually try it.

BuckeyeBill
06-09-2017, 10:24
Packa fan here. I'll bring a UL 4oz Sierra Designs jacket for little or no rain forecasts. If I know it will be raining, the Packa comes along. Its a little unconventional, and hard to grasp how great it is until you actually try it.

This is true. I always take my tarp down last so I can pack everything up and put the packa over my pack without getting everything wet. My tarp goes inside a snake cover sleeve made of mesh which allows me to wipe it down with a Shamwow. I can then load it into the pack cover part. If it stops raining, i pull the tarp out to fully dry it out. If it continues to rain, I can still get it out, put it up and then hang my hammock without it getting wet. I carry a piece of tyvek to lay the pack on while I unload it, so everything stays clean and dry.

Ethesis
06-09-2017, 10:54
Blackheart -- I've become a big fan of carrying a polycro tarp and pitching it first and then setting everything up under it so that my tent and everything else stays dry.

I like the idea of a sleeve for it on the outside of a sleeved poncho sort of rain cover like a cagouke or a packs or similar item.

How hard is cuben fiber to work with?

Still going to play around with things.

But really appreciate the input.

BuckeyeBill
06-09-2017, 11:47
I have a HG Standard Cuben Fiber w/doors. It is a snap to setup with whoopie slings. I can and have setup with trekking poles at ground level when hiking where no trees were to be found. I like the option of either a fully enclosed door shut look or a porch setup. I went with the mesh sleeve for the times when it rains, I can get most of the water off before packing it away inside the pack cover portion of my Packa. My tarp setup (tarp, ropes, and stakes) weighs 9.6oz. Hope this helps.

Ethesis
06-09-2017, 15:52
Thanks for the link.

I used it and this one today:

http://m.outdoorgearlab.com/topics/clothing-mens/best-rain-jacket

Ethesis
06-09-2017, 15:54
I know there is a lot of debate about the claims made...but my Stoic Vaporshell has never let me down. When everyone dives into their shelter I pop on my rain suit (yes I have the pants also) and go enjoy mother nature! They also breath amazingly well, making them just fine for hiking as needed. Could be a bit lighter, but based on performance I can not see swapping to anything else. Dreading the day I have to replace them.

https://backpackinglight.com/forums/topic/47329/

I am glad of your comments.

The link had a lot of disbelief.

Runner2017
06-09-2017, 23:51
Cuben doesn't breath.....curious as to it being ideal?

None of those so-called "breathable" materials are really breathable anyway. And that's why people like torso-flow zippers and vents on their rain jackets.

nsherry61
06-10-2017, 00:23
The only raingear I like for hiking when it is day-in day-out rain is my poncho. Rain jackets are only really good for low exertion and cool days. . . or mountaineering where high winds and the needs of climbing don't work with ponchos, so you suffer the failings of jackets.

If you don't like wet arms, cut the sleeves off one of those tyvek coverall suits you can buy for $10 from Home Depot and put them on upside down so the elastic wrist wraps around your upper arm above your bicep and holds the sleeve in place. Or, if your arms are too big for that, you might try taking the same tyvek coveralls and cut the sleeves off, but, leave a strip of tyvek across the shoulds, between the sleeves. Then, you can use the tyvek strip kinda like the mitten strings we had as kids to keep from loosing our mittens, but in this case, used for holding your sleeves on.

Then, you can have all the advantages of a poncho AND keep your arms dry.

Ethesis
06-10-2017, 08:13
Sleeves -- like chaps for the arms.

Ethesis
06-10-2017, 08:57
Sold at $2.70 a pair.

Finally found some.

https://m.uline.com/h5/r/www.uline.com/Product/Detail/S-19206E/Disposable-Clothing/Tychem-QC-Sleeve-18-20-Pair?pricode=WB1224&gadtype=pla&id=S-19206E&gclid=CJH819-ps9QCFd21wAodXYELJw&gclsrc=aw.ds

Greenlight
06-11-2017, 09:00
Here is the summary of a discussion I had while hiking in southern Indiana yesterday with Storyteller (jgillam). I was in the military when they first fielded Goretex. It is still around obviously and has probably had improvements made to it over the years, but when it first came out it was great. Everyone was talking about it. Until after a few days out in the rain with it. The wicking rate was poor by today's standards. If it was dry out and you were perspiring, it did a decent job of wicking. But rain would defeat most of the benefits because it isn't completely waterproof, and if water got through to your layers, that moisture combined with your perspiration overwhelmed the modest wicking ability.

Now is seems like every company in the outdoor rec and spec ops industries is doing excellent R&D to come up with better fabrics. One case in point is the OR Helium II rain jacket I bought a few months ago. I've hiked through downpours in it, and it does "the best" job of any product I've ever owned. It is as light as feathers, is waterproof (to the extent you can keep it cinched which is always a battle), has excellent wicking even in rain, and does an awesome job of regulating temperature with or without rain.

I'm sure there are other vendors with other products that are really tackling this problem and keeping the system light and packable, the Helium II is just an example.

YankeeDude
06-11-2017, 16:41
I've worn the Marmot Precip jacket and pants a couple of times in pretty heavy rain and stayed dry. Not sure how well it does long term, but for me it's served its purpose so far...

Rain Man
06-11-2017, 17:38
One case in point is the OR Helium II rain jacket I bought a few months ago. I've hiked through downpours in it, and it does "the best" job of any product I've ever owned. It is as light as feathers, is waterproof (to the extent you can keep it cinched which is always a battle), has excellent wicking even in rain, and does an awesome job of regulating temperature with or without rain.

And any outside pockets at all? A "must have" in my book.

MuddyWaters
06-11-2017, 19:23
For every jacket Ive ever seen reviewed,

Two people can review the same jacket

One, will love it. Say its the best they ever used, stayed dry hiking all daay, yada yada

The other, will proclaim it is awful, dont work, they were wet, cut poor, hoods bad, etc

When outside humidity is 100%
You MUST achieve a higher water vapor concentration inside the jacket to have a driving force concentraation difference. This is what drives diffusion.
You can go this because warmer air inside will have higher moisture content.
But, now you will condense on the cold jacket, not diffuse.
Hence,.....breatheable jackets cannot breathe at all as outside humidity approaches 100%. Which it do in the rain. They just condense.

Greenlight
06-11-2017, 19:30

Left breast pocket.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Elaikases
06-12-2017, 07:38
For every jacket Ive ever seen reviewed,

Two people can review the same jacket

One, will love it. Say its the best they ever used, stayed dry hiking all daay, yada yada

The other, will proclaim it is awful, dont work, they were wet, cut poor, hoods bad, etc

When outside humidity is 100%
You MUST achieve a higher water vapor concentration inside the jacket to have a driving force concentraation difference. This is what drives diffusion.
You can go this because warmer air inside will have higher moisture content.
But, now you will condense on the cold jacket, not diffuse.
Hence,.....breatheable jackets cannot breathe at all as outside humidity approaches 100%. Which it do in the rain. They just condense.

That seems to be what I'm seeing over, and over again.

The statistics were interesting to me.

Over half the jackets in a recent survey were one of these three:

Top 10 Backpacking Rain JacketsThe most popular rain jacket purchased by the backpackers we surveyed is the Marmot Precip Jacket (http://sectionhiker.com/marmot-precip-jacket), perhaps the best known waterproof/breathable outdoor recreation jacket ever made. An astonishing 28.8% of our survey respondents own this rain jacket, far more than any other, as shown in the table below.

Rain Jacket
% Owned
MSRP (USD)
Satisfaction 1-5

Marmot Precip Jacket (http://sectionhiker.com/marmot-precip-jacket)

Frogg Toggs UL Suit (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008C4ED04/ref=as_li_qf_sp_asin_il_tl?ie=UTF8&tag=ultrarevie-20&camp=1789&creative=9325&linkCode=as2&creativeASIN=B008C4ED04&linkId=45e094a69c49e08423148b6f27ac0e49)

Outdoor Research Helium II (http://www.avantlink.com/click.php?tt=app&ti=1019&mi=10248&pw=3816&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.rei.com%2Fproduct%2F846522%2 Foutdoor-research-helium-ii-rain-jacket-mens)

Not surprising, the most important feature was price.

Most Important Purchase CriteriaWhat are the most important reasons that backpackers give for purchasing one jacket over another?

Criteria
% Reported

Cost

Lightweight

Waterproofing

Packable/Compressible

Ventilation (Pit Zips)

Manufacturer Reputation

Breathability

Fit/Sizing

Durability

Pocket Distribution

I found the comments in the original article interesting as well.

Really interesting.

Elaikases
06-12-2017, 07:42
I did not quote the entire article or the entire survey results (I cut off when the response level got low). The other rain jackets used are a large collection of 1-2 percent groups.

But the comments made the article's points. Which I also found interesting.

Ethesis
06-12-2017, 08:37
I'm finding the longer rain jackets attractive as a result.

Eg things like https://sierradesigns.com/mens-elite-cagoule/

saltysack
06-12-2017, 08:39

No pockets or pit zips...but for -$150 performance is great....with that said I rarely hike in hot weather....

Rain Man
06-12-2017, 10:29
No pockets or pit zips...but for -$150 performance is great....with that said I rarely hike in hot weather....

Just want to compare apples to apples.

Elaikases
06-13-2017, 22:06
I'm looking at the Helium II Hybrid right now. No pit zips, but something very close.

https://www.backcountryedge.com/outdoor-research-mens-helium-hybrid-hooded-jacket.html?gclid=CIHjotOevNQCFde1wAodYpoFLw -- at about a hundred dollars.

Reviews have been mixed, but interesting. http://www.trailspace.com/gear/outdoor-research/helium-hybrid-jacket/

https://www.climbing.com/gear/review-outdoor-research-helium-hybrid-jacket/

Just not a lot of reviews or market penetration.

https://www.outdoorresearch.com/blog/product-reviews/backpacker-magazine-reviews-the-helium-hybrid-jacket

Search results here only got me some Helium ii comments, but nothing on the hybrid.

Pinnah
06-13-2017, 23:27
IME, I use rain jackets to regulate my temp, not to stay dry.

I consider pit zips a must.

I stay drier and more comfortable ins a light waterproof breathable compared to non breathable.

Ethesis
06-14-2017, 10:34
IME, I use rain jackets to regulate my temp, not to stay dry.

I consider pit zips a must.

I stay drier and more comfortable ins a light waterproof breathable compared to non breathable.

thank you for the input.

BuckeyeBill
06-14-2017, 11:43
I stated earlier about my use of a Packa. It took some time before pulling the trigger on it until I thought of a couple things. I use to use a Marmot Precip which sells for around $100.00. I also needed a pack cover which runs around $30.00. Using both of these, required taking off my pack, getting them out, putting them on then cinching up my pack again. Having my pack on over the Precip limited its ability to breath, allowed rain to soak my pack straps, and rain to get in between my back and the pack. Now for the same $130.00 I would have spent for a Precip and a pack cover, I got a Packa that weighs the same as the Precip, can be put on as a pack cover everyday, breaths better than the Precip, closes the space between my back and pack and covers the pack straps. I am also able to reach things in the pack pockets to retrieve items, something a regular pack cover blocks.

Pinnah
06-14-2017, 20:39
With the Packa, I'm guessing you need to take off your Packa to get stuff out of your pack?

BuckeyeBill
06-14-2017, 20:52
I carry snacks in my pockets and have a water reservoir for with a tube on my shoulder strap. I carry my tarp on the side in between my pack and the cover. I can set the tarp up without taking the Packa off. Once underneath the tarp, I can then take my pack off for anything else I might need all while staying dry.

mychaljohn
06-15-2017, 16:17
I carry snacks in my pockets and have a water reservoir for with a tube on my shoulder strap. I carry my tarp on the side in between my pack and the cover. I can set the tarp up without taking the Packa off. Once underneath the tarp, I can then take my pack off for anything else I might need all while staying dry.
Can you expand a bit on where you keep your tarp? I can't visualize how you can reach it.

BuckeyeBill
06-15-2017, 18:57
Can you expand a bit on where you keep your tarp? I can't visualize how you can reach it.

I have a Packa size Large X. If you go to the Packa website (http://www.thepacka.com/) and watch the video with the guy in the blue Packa, you will see how the Packa is worn and how the jacket portion is stored. I put my tarp in the same area that the jacket is stored. I am able to reach back either under the jacket portion or thru the pit zip and pull it out. I have an HG cuben fiber tarp that stores in a mesh sleeve. It folds up relatively flat. I store the stakes I need in a small stuff sack along with my continuous ridge line on the opposite side of the pack. I also have a small piece of tyvek that I can lay my pack on once I get my tarp up and remove the Packa from it. The pack stays dry and clean. I can then open my pack and get my hammock and tree straps out of my pack and put the Packa back on and hang the tree straps and hang the hammock under the tarp. Again everything stays dry and clean.

If I am between stopping points and it is raining when it comes time to eat, I setup my tarp in the porch mode and cook or just eat under it. The mesh sleeve allows sopping up the rain off of it with a piece of Shamwow that I carry just for that purpose. After I first got the Packa, it took me some time and several setups and tear downs to get it working right. Now I got it down to about 7-8 minutes. The tarp is big enough for several people to stand or sit under it while they eat. When I/we finish eating I just reverse the process and hike to the next way point.

Sorry about mot taking any pictures or videos of myself doing it , but I am in Mississippi right now driving the back roads looking for older cars to buy. let me know if this clears things up.

Ethesis
06-15-2017, 22:49
Thanks for the input. Packas look interesting.

TSWisla
06-17-2017, 07:15
This is an interesting topic. I reluctantly carry one of the Costco rain jackets with me, but it is a bit bulky and heavy. I don't have rain pants, but I have never had to hike in the rain before. It seems like a lot of extra gear to carry (jacket and pants). Is it really necessary?

Rain Man
06-17-2017, 07:35
Depends on season and weather. I always carry a rain jacket. Even without rain, it's a wind jacket, keeps me warm when I stop for lunch, arrive at camp, or any time I stop for a bit and my metabolism shuts down. Even summer evenings can be cool and chilly, especially with a little breeze. Being at any elevation can really cause chill, too.

Rain pants I only take when I'm expecting rain and/or the season and/or elevation would be such that I know the weight is worth the comfort and safety. There have been occasions when I was really happy to have rain pants, but as I said, I rarely take them.

This is an interesting topic. I reluctantly carry one of the Costco rain jackets with me, but it is a bit bulky and heavy. I don't have rain pants, but I have never had to hike in the rain before. It seems like a lot of extra gear to carry (jacket and pants). Is it really necessary?

Ethesis
06-17-2017, 07:45

Take the 32 degree rain jacket from Costco and put it in a large zip lock instead of the stuff sack they sold it in. It will weigh almost half as much.

As for rain pants, I had a friend who hiked a section on the continental divide. He got rain or rain/sleet every day. He just used shorts and got wet as did his two daughters. I am learning to like rain kilts.

You really need something in the rain to manage your warmth so you don't freeze.

I've used two different ponchos and just bought my third rain jacket.

I've one that is rain proof, but too heavy. I returned the 32 degrees as it was not rain proof enough for me.

(It performed much like the original Helium Hybrid). Just bought a new Helium Hyprid.

I will note a lot of people use and like Frogg Toggs.

Ethesis
06-17-2017, 08:42
The original Helium Hybrid was waterproof in some zones and water resistant in others.

The new one is waterproof except where pit zips would be (and the matching under side of the sleeves) which are water resistant.

Others pick up the waterproof tyvik sleeves you can get and use them with a poncho.

Lightweight ponchos are cheap and and all over but I personally hate drenched arms.

Sleeved ponchos are out there and many people like them.

I am rambling a little. But that is the nature of the issue.

Choices:

Nothing. Just get soaked. Hyperthermia likely to occur in three seasons but not summer.

Waterproof. Does not breathe, sweat build up will get to you.

Waterproof, but pit zips so you can vent under your arms.

Water resistant. Varying degrees of resistance from the same as waterproof to soak through after five minutes of light rain.

Advantage is that they are breathable yet still work as wind shells. Regulates heat loss from rain.

For legs ...

just wear shorts. Get wet. Lots of people do this.

Ponchos and Cagoules cover your thighs. Can be matched with convertible pants.

You can waterproof from the knees down.

Rain pants. Wear them when doing laundry too. Frogg Toggs are cheap and light.

Rain kilts. Long and short. Short rain kilts cover to the knees. I've met guys who hike in them and compression shorts 24/7. Longer ones keep you as dry as rain pants.

They breath well. Long ponchos cover the same area. You can find ponchos that are waist length to those that are all the way to your ankles.

You will find find what you like.

I'm currently going with a jacket and kilt. Changing the kilt for a lighter one. I went from convertible pants to non -- but I burn easily. I need the protection so the zip off doesn't happen much. I may go back.

Hope that helps.

Ethesis
06-17-2017, 11:20
For a $25.00 rain skirt at 1.1 ounces you can compare:

https://www.slyultralite.com/shop?olsFocus=false&olsPage=products/11-ounce-silnylon-rain-skirt

TSWisla
06-18-2017, 07:28
So is the Costco Paradox a worthy jacket or should I go for something else? I want to be prepared!

Ethesis
06-18-2017, 10:22
So is the Costco Paradox a worthy jacket or should I go for something else? I want to be prepared!
I don't find them for sale anywhere.

It seems like 75% of the people out there would be happy with it.

Ethesis
06-18-2017, 10:23
The Wal-Mart version is for sale, but costs more than Frogg Toggs. The Frogg makes most people happy.

tflaris
06-19-2017, 13:51
After 10 of 20 days of the AT this year with rain happening to some degree day or night I've come to the following conclusion:

1. Guys with hiking umbrellas were jealous of guys with ponchos
2. Guys with rain jackets were jealous of guys with hiking umbrellas
3. If it doesn't rain hard enough or long enough you usually spend more time and effort getting in/out of rain gear
4. When it goes rain long enough and hard enough your core body temp exceeds the ability of the rain gear's breath ability and you sweat to death.
5. If it does rain long enough and hard enough and it's cold enough you will love your rain gear.

Note: #5 never happened for me.

6. My rain kilt was awesome. I saw a couple of Thru Hikers make one out of the white kitchen garbage bags.

7. Most days I just walked in the rain with wet clothes (when it wasn't pouring) and just embraced the suck.

I doubt any of this was helpful. Sry.

English Stu
06-20-2017, 06:08
I use Zpacks 3:1 Poncho. To keep my arms dry I did get some Tyvek sleeves. I am in the UK and bought them from a guy at Tread-lite. I think they are available in the US in Ebay. I have read people cut down an old DriDucks jacket for sleeves.

rziskind
06-20-2017, 13:11
I just did a review of Antigravity Gear, Lightheart Gear, and Frogg Toggs rain jackets.......check it out. I made a really helpful chart that I put at the end of the video too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4HZ_3el2N0w

Ethesis
06-20-2017, 14:29
I just did a review of Antigravity Gear, Lightheart Gear, and Frogg Toggs rain jackets.......check it out. I made a really helpful chart that I put at the end of the video too.

I'm often places where I don't have the bandwidth for videos and really enjoy text.

Did you do a written version of tjis as well?

pretty please?!

rziskind
06-20-2017, 22:39
I'm often places where I don't have the bandwidth for videos and really enjoy text.

Did you do a written version of tjis as well?

pretty please?!

Summary
AntiGravity Gear LightHear Gear Frogg Toggs
Weight 5.75oz 6.40oz 5.80oz
Fit room to spare regular body room to spare
Pit zips 18" 15" none
Length rides up regular regular
Elastic waist not adjustable optional and adjustable none
Elastic wrist cuffs no yes too tight
Pockets no yes yes
Hood regular retractable brim regular

Bear Bag
06-21-2017, 12:39
Here's another vote for the Packa. Sleeting/raining sideways at Shining Rock and I was dry and warm. Before you use it you need to seam-seal it. The effectiveness of the Packa is directly proportional to the diligence with which you do this. I did it about a foot or so at a time and then let it dry before moving on to another section.

Ethesis
06-21-2017, 13:21

Read and watched. Thanks.

daddytwosticks
06-21-2017, 15:58
Here's another vote for the Packa. Sleeting/raining sideways at Shining Rock and I was dry and warm. Before you use it you need to seam-seal it. The effectiveness of the Packa is directly proportional to the diligence with which you do this. I did it about a foot or so at a time and then let it dry before moving on to another section.

Hmmm...my Packa is about two years old and I didn't need to seam seal it. The seams were already taped. I own the sil-nylon version. :)

BuckeyeBill
06-21-2017, 16:47
No Seam sealing here either.

Cedar Tree
06-21-2017, 18:50

Your Packa must be at least 7 years old. The seams have been taped for about that long. Thanks for the recommendations.
Cedar Tree

Francis Sawyer
06-23-2017, 10:14
No rain jacket will keep you dry. If its waterproof then you will sweat and be wet. If it's not waterproof you will still be wet. I don't know much but this is the truth.