PDA

View Full Version : Used boot replacements

greenmtnboy
06-08-2017, 09:55
I have two sets of size 14 Limmers, both are having sole into base problems which would probably require exorbitant reconstruction. So I am looking at alternatives.

Would these be too hot for summer hiking? http://www.ebay.com/itm/282509933241?ul_noapp=true

These look decent but I have had problems with used Asolos, non-leather boots I have bought on ebay with the glue breakdown quickly from dealers. http://www.ebay.com/itm/112400560283?ul_noapp=true

Also these leather Asolos look decent, maybe a little lightweight: http://www.ebay.com/itm/ASOLO-AFX556-LEATHER-TREKKING-HIKING-BOOTS-EU48-US13-UNUSED/263007199637?_trksid=p2485497.m4902.l9144

Any help would be appreciated. Asolos generally come a half size bigger so 13 is 13.5.

Tom

Venchka
06-08-2017, 10:27
Asolo, learned the hard way. Warranty: To original purchaser. Two years full warranty. One resole 5 years from purchase. The soles of mine fell off in the sixth year.
Buy a pair of Cresta boots new from LL Bean. Lifetime guarantee.
Wayne

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Venchka
06-08-2017, 10:33
These boots. They top out at 14 EE. Happy hiking.
https://m.llbean.com/product.html?bc=&skCatId=14774&csp=a#14774
Wayne

greenmtnboy
06-08-2017, 11:01
I had a pair of Cresta hikers once, didn't care for them. Generally LL Bean caters to the high end crowd though their guarantees are good, however they do track those who seek to get them to honor their guarantee promises, not sure what their criteria would be for refusing to honor it, like people who pick up used LL Bean stuff at thrift shops and try to get money back.

Venchka
06-08-2017, 18:29
I had a pair of Cresta hikers once, didn't care for them. Generally LL Bean caters to the high end crowd though their guarantees are good, however they do track those who seek to get them to honor their guarantee promises, not sure what their criteria would be for refusing to honor it, like people who pick up used LL Bean stuff at thrift shops and try to get money back.

What does have to do with buying the boots new?
Bean has my purchase history.
Wayne

greenmtnboy
06-09-2017, 08:40
What does have to do with buying the boots new?
Bean has my purchase history.
Wayne

Just saying that people try to game the system and LLB fights back. Typical corporation, you go in to get them to honor their guarantee and they can go creepy on you making you feel at fault.

Traveler
06-09-2017, 08:47
Just saying that people try to game the system and LLB fights back. Typical corporation, you go in to get them to honor their guarantee and they can go creepy on you making you feel at fault.
Typical of some corporations certainly, same as its typical of some people to game return policies that eventually erode them.

cmoulder
06-09-2017, 08:57

Unless you're gaming their system, what's the problem?

In exchange for a lifetime warranty they SHOULD (and do!) have the right to incorporate some controls so that they can continue to remain incredibly generous to their legitimate, honest customers.

Otherwise the great return policy that you enjoy will quickly go poof! :(

OCDave
06-09-2017, 10:58
...Any help would be appreciated. ...

I have been very happy with Asolo 520s purchased new in October 2012. I wear them continuously during the winter months and have used them for several weeklong summer hikes. I stopped wearing them as my summer option not because they were too hot but, because they were repeatedly filled with rain during a soggy 3 day hike in Glacier NP. I have subjected my Asolos to fair amount of abuse yet, other than scrapes and scuffs in the leather, they seem to be holding up really well (better than the Vasque Sundowners I wore for the dozen years prior to getting my Asolos)

Used boots? This seems like the one place a hiker would want to be very selective and buy new. Oh well, your feet not mine.

Good Luck

Venchka
06-09-2017, 11:00
Asolo, learned the hard way. Warranty: To original purchaser. Two years full warranty. One resole 5 years from purchase. The soles of mine fell off in the sixth year.
Buy a pair of Cresta boots new from LL Bean. Lifetime guarantee.
Wayne

One more time.
Buy new.
Buy from Bean.
Lifetime guarantee.
If the boots don't work for you, return for full refund and start over.
I spent enough money on Garmont and Asolo boots that literally lost their soles to pay for Limmer Custom boots.
I coulda shoulda woulda bought from Bean originally.
Buy quality once. It's cheaper.
Wayne

greenmtnboy
06-10-2017, 17:48
I bought the Asolo leather boots, fit just like the Fabric, suede models, but will outlast them. A lot less money too, barely used.

Venchka
06-10-2017, 18:53
I hope you get more miles out them than I did before the soles fall off.
Good luck.
Wayne

greenmtnboy
06-10-2017, 20:09
I hope you get more miles out them than I did before the soles fall off.
Good luck.
Wayne

Asolos run a little narrow in their 13 size boots but more like 13.5. As I have been wearing 14 Limmers, it will take a little adjusting and break ins etc., and I'm sure cobblers have various tricks if they need to be made a little less tight.

Venchka
06-11-2017, 11:12
Asolos run a little narrow in their 13 size boots but more like 13.5. As I have been wearing 14 Limmers, it will take a little adjusting and break ins etc., and I'm sure cobblers have various tricks if they need to be made a little less tight.

Now I am totally confused.
Injection molded boots are disposable. I proved that to myself twice in less than 100 miles and $600 total.
I have no idea what you mean about cobblers and tricks.
Wayne