PDA

View Full Version : Tikka / Zipka

Sparky!
02-03-2003, 11:59
I am looking at the Tikka/Zipka head lamps. I currently have a Zoom which weighs in at 8+ ounces. I like the way it lights up the trail, the strength of the beam, the distance it illuminates and how I can hang it in my tent when I need it. What I don't like about it is the battery life of 10 hours and the weight....

So I am looking at the Tikka/Zipka as an alternate. I saw a lot of people with the Zipka at the PA Ruck this year so I am wondering how do you all like the Zipka? What is the difference between the Tikka and the Zipka... and which would you recommend on you experience.

Sparky:-?

ganj
02-03-2003, 12:08
I own the tikka. Slightly heavier than the zipka. Tikka is a great headlamp. The batteries last forever. However, if you plan to nighthike put fresh batteries in. I believe the difference between the two in minimal. I wondered if the Zipka headband is comfortable.

Footslogger
02-03-2003, 12:15
My partner and I both have the Tikka also and have been very satisfied going on 2 years now. Switch on one of them got flakey but they replaced it without question. 3 x AAA Titaniums will last half of the AT. Like Ganj said ...a tad heavier than the Zipka but from what I've seen a more durable light. I've night hiked with it and had plenty of illumination on the trail. You hardly know you have it on your head.

gravityman
02-03-2003, 12:16
I liked the tikka headband better. The small line that holds the zipka to your head really isn't very comfortable. I have short hair. I hear that long hair gets tangled with it real easy.

I definately suggest the tikka! The couple of GRAMS you save with the zipka isn't worth it.

But LED headlamps are the way to go! And there are more out there than just these two...

gravity man

rumbler
02-03-2003, 16:39
Has anyone used the Brinkman focused LED? A bit less expensive than the tikka, but I've only seen it in the stores.

rickb
02-03-2003, 17:07
Anything with moving parts can break which argues for the lamp with the band.

That said, I have a Zipka. It could not be any more comfortable, and I'll for get its on my head. And I have a big head.

Strap works good if you park the lamp on your wrist to emulate the crew of Star Trek Voyager, too. Or to hook around other objects of opportunity.

2Questions
02-03-2003, 17:27
I've been looking for AAA lithiums for my Zipka. haven't been able to find them. Where can I get them?

rumbler
02-03-2003, 17:35
RadioShack usually carries every battery known to man.

Lone Wolf
02-03-2003, 17:59
The Aurora AUR-3 is just as good as a Zipka/Tikka plus it's about 15 bucks less. It will burn 160+ hours on the low setting. It has a lifetime warranty whereas the Zipka/Tikka has only a 3 year warranty.

Sparky!
02-03-2003, 19:48
hmmmmmmm I will have to check out the Aurora AUR-3... THanks LW

poison_ivy
02-04-2003, 12:22
You may also want to check out e-bay. A couple of months ago, I was able to get a tikka there for $10 from a guy in hong kong. (It could be knock-off... but it weighs the same and works fine, so I"m not complaining.) The guy was selling loads of them... so it may be worth seeing if there are any on sale there.

-- Ivy

Footslogger
02-04-2003, 12:29
Sparky ...I have the Tikka and the Aurora (I know, I know, I'm a gearhead). The Tikka is .5 oz lighter but the Aurora has a push button on/off switch (Tikka has a sliding switch) and multiple brightness settings. The "color" of the Aurora is a bit whiter than the Tikka. Also ...the Tikka is a fixed angle light while the Aurora can be angled. Both do the job.

RagingHampster
02-04-2003, 13:50
I have the Tikka. Zipka has a line that irritates my shaved head after multiple hours of use. It also makes me nervous that the retracting mechanism would break. Only problem I have had is with the switch. Whenever I turn my head fast, the switch causes the power to the LEDs to cutoff and flicker. Other than that it is the perfect choice. You could look at the BD Moonlight too. But the BD Ion sucks, not enough light.

Footslogger
02-04-2003, 13:53
RagingHamster ...same problem I had with my Tikka. I took it back and they (REI) gave me a new one. Second one doesn't seem to have that problem with the switch (yet). Depending on how long you've had it and where you bought it ...that's a consideration

Sparky!
02-04-2003, 14:57
How long do the batteries last... comparing the Tikka to the Aurora?

Sparky!

Footslogger
02-04-2003, 15:03
Sparky ...haven't used the Aurora enough to burn out the batteries. Bought it last year in July and still have the original set of Duracell AAA's in it. My guess is that the Aurora would outlast the Tikka if you use it on the "low" setting but I haven't done a side by side comparison. One thing I can tell you, aside from battery life, is that the bank of 3 LEDs in the Aurora is arranged in a triangle, whereas in the Tikka they are in-line. That makes for a "tighter" concentration of light with the Aurora, which might come in handy if you were using it for night hiking.

Sparky!
02-04-2003, 18:24
Thanks Footslogger... that just sold me!

sli74
02-04-2003, 18:40
I love my Tikka and use it in the tent and around camp but wouldn't be comfortable night hiking with it unless it was either a well established trail or an emergency. I once got "lost" trying to find the privy in the middle of the night at the Baldface shelter in NH. Took me 15 minutes to find my tent again and I never did find the privy that night. Maybe I am just blind :) I don't know how the other LEDs compare but I carry my Petzl Duo for my winter trips in case of an emergency.

Papa Bear
02-05-2003, 12:52
I just bought the Aurora from Campmor. Good price $27.99 which includes a bonus pulsar keychain light (I always carry a couple of these: one in my pack, one in my pocket).

Aurora head lamp from Campmor (http://www.campmor.com/webapp/commerce/command/ProductDisplay?prmenbr=226&prrfnbr=26634964)

The UPS package just showed up so I'm playing with all the stuff I bought - hopefully I now have what I need for this season. The lamp seems fine.

New stuff = Fun, fun, fun!

Pb

Sparky!
02-05-2003, 15:55
OK... I just ordered my Aurora from Campmore... I tried to get it from my outfitter here locally but when I called he said he quit carrying them and only carry Petzls and black diamonds... So I tried to do the local.. Thanks for the link PB!

Dan Bowen
02-05-2003, 16:42
:-? campmor says the aurora is waterproof.Is the tikka waterproof?I'm not planning on swimming with the headlamp but it will see rain.
After all "no rain - no Maine"

Sparky!
02-05-2003, 16:44
Here is what was said about it in REI:

Compact Aurora headlamp gives long battery life and five different lighting options

Aurora's five-way switch tailors light to meet your needs; select from low, medium and high settings, as well as two different strobe options

Triple LED bulbs arranged in a triangle configuration provide even lighting throughout your field of view with no blank spots in the beam

Pivoting head directs the light where you need it

Waterproof construction provides full-on reliability in inclement weather

.... So it says it is waterproof!

Footslogger
02-05-2003, 16:47
I own both the Tikka and the Aurora and I wouldn't call either of them "WATERPROOF", unless they have redesigned them since I bought mine. They have no actual gasket or O-ring where the two halves of the housings meet. It is a very tightly fitting assembly so I think they'd be fairly water "RESISTANT" though. Have had my Tikka since 2001 and my Aurora since July last year and they've both been out on the trail in some pretty nasty weather. They're both still ticking, if that helps.

Sparky!
02-10-2003, 10:36
My Aurora head lamp arrived this weekend so I was able to play with it for a while.

It weighed in at 2.9 oz with batteries, not bad. The features that I liked were that I could tilt it to where I needed it to shine as well as the 5 light settings. Although I hope to never need the emeregency signal ;)

The light was great and well focused. I did take it a part a bit and see where the rubber gasket it to keep it "waterproof". I kept mine water proof as I put it under water... pretty cool. As I read the instructions, they realized that sometimes you may not get a good seal. They stated that the circuit card is "durable" and all I had to do was wipe it down. I was not brave enoung to try that.

Mine came with a mini light as well, which I will give to my wife for her letter boxing hobbie.

Thanks all for the great advice on a good piece of gear. I am VERY happy with it!

Sparky! :D