PDA

View Full Version : Going Out This Week Almost SUL

Rmcpeak
06-11-2017, 15:51
Here's my kit for 80 miles Buena Vista to Daleville. Base weight is between 5-6 lbs depending on how I measure it. Skin-out is 9.4 lbs. 8.8 lbs of food (3.5 days) and 1.5 liters water. Total skin out fully loaded weight is 18.2 lbs. I swapped the Aqua Mira for a bleach dropper. Going to try that and see how it goes. I'm purposely shorting calories. I could stand to lose 15 lbs. I plan to run lean...

Slo-go'en
06-11-2017, 16:44
8.8 pounds of food seems like a lot for 3.5 days, even stove less and wanting to loose weight. But since it looks like it will be wicked hot next week, you'll sweat it all off :-)

Rmcpeak
06-11-2017, 17:00
8.8 pounds of food seems like a lot for 3.5 days, even stove less and wanting to loose weight. But since it looks like it will be wicked hot next week, you'll sweat it all off :-)

5.6 food -- 8.8 includes 1.5 l h20 and 6 5 hr energies.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Maineiac64
06-11-2017, 19:18
Lighterpack would be fun to see if you have it.

Heliotrope
06-11-2017, 20:57
Gear list?

Desertdave
06-12-2017, 02:29
Mmmmm Cheetos....

Rmcpeak
06-12-2017, 06:51
Gear list?

This is pretty close: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1VWlEhwRNFvJsoj3GSRdYFqDjqAup_uTSLiuXM2LIPgM

Heliotrope
06-12-2017, 09:55
This is pretty close: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1VWlEhwRNFvJsoj3GSRdYFqDjqAup_uTSLiuXM2LIPgM

Do you carry a bug bivy of some kind?

The Kisco Kid
06-12-2017, 11:27
I see this is a summer list, but having only a windbreaker for extra clothing is downright dangerous.

Also, you're carrying 10oz of 5-hour energy shots?

Slo-go'en
06-12-2017, 12:00
I see this is a summer list, but having only a windbreaker for extra clothing is downright dangerous.

It is going to be really hot this week, but a pop up thunderstorm can cool you off real quick for an hour or so. That's when I find having a poncho handy.

Well, if he wants to do 80 miles in 3.5 days, he might need the energy drinks...

Smithereens
06-12-2017, 19:47
Hot, humid and energy drinks? I really hope that does not go south for you.

Rmcpeak
06-16-2017, 07:05
Do you carry a bug bivy of some kind?

No. It was buggy but not terrible. I'm getting fed up with shelters -- I slept in my tarp setup 2 out 3 nights on this hike and the one night I tried sleeping in a shelter I was forced out onto the picnic table by a horrible snorer. The point is, I might go back to a tent and/or add a bug bivy.

Rmcpeak
06-16-2017, 07:15

I disagree about your assertion that my clothing was "dangerous." I was never even the slightest bit chilly. I hiked through one storm, getting completely soaked, but it was sweet relief from the heat and humidity. I sat out a second storm shelter.

My 40 degree synthetic quilt is my "extra" clothing and hypothermia safety item. Really no need for "extra" clothing on an 80 mile 3 day high-summer southern AT section. The low temperature was probably 67 degrees. The idea of somehow staying dry is ludicrous. The humidity was running at 80-90% and the temp at 85-90. I was soaked from perspiration prior to getting rinsed by the rain.

The 5 hr Energy is my coffee. On future hikes I will probably combine the small bottles into one large bottle to save some space and weight, but I'll have to be careful about overdosing.

Rmcpeak
06-16-2017, 07:15
What do you mean?

Rmcpeak
06-16-2017, 07:26
For those who might be interested I got on the trail at Rt. 60 at about 2 pm and hiked approx 11 miles to Punch Bowl. Day 2 I did 31 miles to Cornelius Creek. Day 3 I got slowed down waiting out thunderstorms and did approx 18 miles from Cornelius Creek to about 3 miles past Wilson Creek. Day four I finished up the 16 miles to Daleville, arriving at Route 220 by about 11:30 a.m. -- I was walking at 5:30 a.m. and booked it down the mountain. Here's the gallery: https://goo.gl/photos/gZxNoWSQuWabP7pi9

cmoulder
06-16-2017, 07:31
No. It was buggy but not terrible. I'm getting fed up with shelters -- I slept in my tarp setup 2 out 3 nights on this hike and the one night I tried sleeping in a shelter I was forced out onto the picnic table by a horrible snorer. The point is, I might go back to a tent and/or add a bug bivy.

First, congrats on your section! Looks like it was a lot of fun. :sun I checked out the photo link on your blog.

I was up in the Adirondacks with friends and the bugs would have eaten us alive without bug net of some sort. I slathered on DEET morning, noon and night—and then some!—and still ended up with a lot of itchy welts. I was using a Borah bug bivy and I think some of the bites were right thru the bivy net!

Zpacks Solplex is a good option.

But I totally understand your attitude toward shelters. You could not pay me enough to stay in one.

cmoulder
06-16-2017, 07:33
https://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/images/Eloquent/miscgreen/quote_icon.png Originally Posted by Smithereens https://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/images/Eloquent/buttonsgreen/viewpost-right.png (https://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?p=2154519#post2154519)

What do you mean?

That's internet speak for "it doesn't work for me therefore it won't work for you" :D

Rmcpeak
06-16-2017, 07:41
For those who might be interested I got on the trail at Rt. 60 at about 2 pm and hiked approx 12 miles to Punch Bowl. Day 2 I did approx 31 miles to Cornelius Creek. Day 3 I got slowed down waiting out thunderstorms and did approx 24 miles from Cornelius Creek to about 3 miles past Bobblets Gap. Day four I finished up the approx 16 miles to Daleville, arriving at Route 220 by about 11:30 a.m. -- I was walking at 5:30 a.m. and booked it down the mountain. Here's the gallery: https://goo.gl/photos/gZxNoWSQuWabP7pi9

Rmcpeak
06-16-2017, 07:44
That's internet speak for "it doesn't work for me therefore it won't work for you" :D

Ahh... I like the 5HE... would like to find something in powder form.... I'm sure it's out there... Might try a concentrated instant coffee "shot." Or just cold coffee.

No stove in summer for me.

cmoulder
06-16-2017, 08:45
If it's just for the caffeine jolt, one of the instant espressos such as Cafe Bustelo or Medaglia d'Oro might work for that.

I just need one strong cup in the morning and I'm good to go... I used to drink a lot more but my gastroenterologist recently did a video tour of my innards and said I need to cut way back, lol. :o Also, no more cigars and JD, which really hurt! :(

But I like a hot breakfast and dinner.

During the day I get the biggest boost from the original Power Bars (gobs of maltodextrin) and add in a couple of other things for variety. I like your Cheetos, cookies and peanut butter crackers. I make a mix with Fritos, sesame sticks, peanuts and pretzels, and sprinkle on some chili powder and cayenne and shake it all up in a gallon ziploc. A little more interest for the palette.

Rmcpeak
06-16-2017, 08:58
If it's just for the caffeine jolt, one of the instant espressos such as Cafe Bustelo or Medaglia d'Oro might work for that.

I just need one strong cup in the morning and I'm good to go... I used to drink a lot more but my gastroenterologist recently did a video tour of my innards and said I need to cut way back, lol. :o Also, no more cigars and JD, which really hurt! :(

But I like a hot breakfast and dinner.

During the day I get the biggest boost from the original Power Bars (gobs of maltodextrin) and add in a couple of other things for variety. I like your Cheetos, cookies and peanut butter crackers. I make a mix with Fritos, sesame sticks, peanuts and pretzels, and sprinkle on some chili powder and cayenne and shake it all up in a gallon ziploc. A little more interest for the palette.
I got sick of the Cheetos pretty quick. Next time I'll take just a few of the small snack size bags. Need to find something else for "dinner."

soumodeler
06-16-2017, 10:42
Looks like you had a good trip. Enjoyed the photos.

soumodeler
06-16-2017, 10:51
Also, how did you like the ZPacks pocket tarp?

Rmcpeak
06-16-2017, 12:04
Also, how did you like the ZPacks pocket tarp?
The pocket tarp is cool. It's virtually weightless. It pitches very easily and is easy to keep taught. I'm 6'4 and can sit cross-legged in it. I have the bathtub floor and that hooks to the tarp so it's easy to keep pad/quilt fairly clean and off the ground.

It would be pretty hard to stay very dry if it were raining more than a light drizzle. I'd have to pitch it low and then wouldn't be able to sit up. I'm starting to think Altaplex. I just hate to carry a tent if I'm not going to use it. The pocket tarp/bathtub floor offers a lot of other possible uses that a tent doesn't, BUT the Altaplex would be way dryer/cleaner and bugless.

I had a silnylon Skyscape Trekker but wasn't crazy about the two-pole system (wasn't worth the trouble) and also regretted carrying it and not using it (because I cowboyed or slept in a shelter). I'm about ready to swear off of shelters so that would make carrying a tent again more sensible.

Smithereens
06-16-2017, 13:23
What do you mean?

Heat stress, physical exertion and stimulants are a bad combination. I've seen young, healthy guys just completely crash from that combination. I think mostly it's the dehydration, but we have had two guys fall out with irregular heart beats. Energy drinks have been banned where I work, but there are coolers full of cold, bottled water everywhere you turn.

I guess if you're not chugging them down they might be OK... I usually take tea or coffee when I'm backpacking just to keep the caffeine withdrawal headaches away, but I keep my intake down to a bare minimum.

Glad you had fun!

Smithereens
06-16-2017, 13:27
Nope, that's "seen it a hundred times" speaking.

Rmcpeak
06-16-2017, 15:19
Nope, that's "seen it a hundred times" speaking.

I drink one 5HE at wake-up and usually one at about 2 pm if I'm shooting for a 30 mile day. 1 5HE has same caffeine as a 8 oz of coffee. I usually drink 20 oz of coffee a day at least.

The 5HE are a much "smoother" stimulant than coffee for me. No real "high" or jitters like I get from strong coffee. Just an awake and energized feeling....

BuckeyeBill
06-16-2017, 16:54
I use to drink the 5HE drinks daily. I also suffer from Crohn's disease, which if I am not careful will cause me to get dehydrated. When it's really bad I have to hospital for 2-3 days. One time my doctor came in and told my blood chemistry was out of whack. That's normal. Then he told me by B-12 levels were extremely high and ask me if I might know why? I told about the 5HE and that it contained 2500% of B-12 daily recommended levels. He just shook his head and walked out.

jeremywerlin
08-28-2017, 13:21
Nice kit. Thanks for sharing.