PDA

View Full Version : Any Solo's who tent want to share tips

wolfywolfy
06-11-2017, 19:11
Are there any solo female's, I mean any female who have hiked alone and slept in the woods in their tent with no one else around who was not afraid? Do you get over the fear? Did anything ever happen? I tend to want to sleep near shelters where there are people and afraid someday I might be the only one there. Alone only worries me after dark, daytime I am fine.

RebeccaS
06-11-2017, 22:21
I have spent many nights alone in my tent with no other people in the vicinity, and actually prefer it now since for me hiking is to get away from it all and have some time to myself. In most of the areas I hike in the biggest threat is probably other people. I don't camp too close to roads, and I am always vague about my plans if people ask. If animals are your concern, be sure to handle your food properly. Don't sleep where you cook for example. Earplugs also help some people get a good night's sleep. It does take some getting used to, maybe try sleeping outside at a car campground first if you're nervous.

Trailweaver
06-12-2017, 02:53
I almost always hike alone. This is because most of my friends are not able, or not interested, in backpacking. So yes, I've slept alone, tented, both at shelters and in campsites. I've only been uneasy once - I didn't realize I was as close to a road as I was (on a ridge above it), and late that night I heard a group of men who were obviously drinking come & set up camp at a site just off the road below me. They partied for a couple of hours & presumably spent the night. I stayed very quiet & didn't turn on my flashlight. I waited until I heard them leave the next morning before I moved on. They were probably harmless, but I didn't know, and I wasn't willing to find out.

I have never really had a problem on the trail. You will gain confidence as you get out more often, and as long as you use common sense, you will be fine. Most of the people I have met have been very respectful, helpful, and good company. I have loved meeting people from all over the U.S., all ages, all professions.

Sandy of PA
06-12-2017, 11:35
I get my best sleep alone in my tent in the woods. Fear is learned, it can be unlearned. If needed start by camping in your yard, get used to night sounds, owls, coyotes, deer snorts, etc. Build from there. Guys can also be scared of tenting alone, maybe you need a hiking buddy to get started.

mister krabs
06-12-2017, 16:50
Not a female, but suffered from the same fear when I started, fueled by family and friends that thought sleeping alone in the woods was an indicator of mental illness or a lack of a sense of self preservation. I found that the thing that got me most was the unfamiliar sounds, amplified by the "dark in the woods multiplication factor" which states (as I make it up) that each noise sounds an order of magnitude larger -- a bug sounds like a chipmunk, a chipmunk sounds like a squirrel, a squirrel sounds like a raccoon, a raccoon sounds like a hog and a hog sounds like a bear. I overcame this with a small radio that has a sleep timer. Earplugs also work great -- if you can't hear it, it doesn't exist!

Khs777
06-13-2017, 22:06
I started being a little afraid of being alone, but now I love being in my hammock with no one else around. One of my first times at an out of the way campsite I was freaking at a noise and slept fitfully. In the morning I realized it was acorns falling to the ground and had to laugh at myself. I also carry a Spot device so i know help will be on it's way into an emergency.

wolfywolfy
06-14-2017, 07:05
I camp alone all the time and it never bothers me at all. I have camped alone knowing there was a camp host a block or two away and it never bothered me. I have camped with my car at the site and it never bothered me. But the thought of hiking 6 plus miles in the woods and camping alone and no one around kind of bothers me. I am going to have to force myself to do it and just get over it and wondered if my fears are rational or not. I will sleep with a weapon at first just to help me sleep (do not plan on ever needing it). There is a Big difference in sleeping alone 1/2 mile away from everyone and sleeping alone miles and miles away from everyone.

TwoSpirits
06-14-2017, 10:57
I camp alone all the time and it never bothers me at all. I have camped alone knowing there was a camp host a block or two away and it never bothered me. I have camped with my car at the site and it never bothered me. But the thought of hiking 6 plus miles in the woods and camping alone and no one around kind of bothers me. I am going to have to force myself to do it and just get over it and wondered if my fears are rational or not. I will sleep with a weapon at first just to help me sleep (do not plan on ever needing it). There is a Big difference in sleeping alone 1/2 mile away from everyone and sleeping alone miles and miles away from everyone.
When I first started camping alone it was in state parks and state forest campgrounds, and I felt pretty much the same -- people were nearby, and that gave me a sense of safety and comfort.

Then I started camping later in the season, when few people or no one at all was around. And yes, once the sun went down I was creeped out and was very jumpy at every sound and shadow...until finally I asked myself "What is it you're afraid of?"

And there was no good, realistic answer: there certainly aren't any animal preditors around here, so I could check that off. The idea that someone was hiding out in the cold dark woods waiting for me to happen to come along was laughable, and IF anyone were to approach my site, they'd be stumbling through the brush and making the same racket I made when walking around -- and if a rodent or a deer can wake me up at night, a human would too. And if that were to ever happen, I know that I can be prepared for my defense.

I love tenting out, away, and alone now...although I'd be lying if I said I sleep soundly the first couple of nights. It usually takes me a 2-3 nights to settle my senses down -- and that's true for spending nights at a hotel or any trip away from home.

Like everyone says, trust your gut, be aware, be cautious about how much you tell strangers. But don't let your fears get in the way of your dreams.

Meesh
06-15-2017, 09:00
Depending on where you live, you might have RV parks nearby. I do, and several of them offer primitive camping sites on their property. Might be an option to get used to camping by yourself and you know that you can call the RV park staff (besides 911) if you have any trouble. I don't have fear of camping alone, but at night, most people can get easily creeped out by weird noises, so I think it's pretty natural to feel uneasy.

Spirit Walker
06-15-2017, 12:40
When I first started backpacking, I was alone on all my hikes. I started by doing overnight trips when there was a full moon. That meant that if I heard a noise, I could see what was out there. Having a 'night light' made me feel safer. Then I realized that the bright light made it hard to sleep, so I stopped deliberately going out at the full moon, but by then I had done a few solo trips so wasn't afraid any more. Hiking the AT solo finished the job. By the end of the hike I was not at all afraid of being alone in the woods. I was at home.

One thing I learned though is to be smart. Don't tell anyone where you plan to camp or the fact that you are alone. If you meet someone who makes you nervous, move on. Don't sleep within sight of the trail and if you leave the trail, make sure you don't do it where anyone is watching.

birdygal
06-18-2017, 16:53
The first few times I have attempted to solo backpack on the AT I chickened out. Ended up calling my DH to come pick me up at the nearest trailhead after just hiking 5-10 miles. I did manage to do one overnight by myself on the pinhoti I was pretty surprised how well I slept. the 2nd and 3rd time did not bother me at all that was a year ago though now I seem to be right back at square one again.

MalloryMalarkey
07-09-2017, 17:45
Ooooo I love this! I never would have thought of purposefully going out during a full moon but it's genius!

MuddyWaters
07-09-2017, 18:51
There is a Big difference in sleeping alone 1/2 mile away from everyone and sleeping alone miles and miles away from everyone.

Yep.
Your much safer in the latter.

Venchka
07-09-2017, 19:37
Yep.
Your much safer in the latter.

Double YEP!
Give me a real Wilderness Area every time. The farther away from power lines and pavement the better.
Wayne

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MuddyWaters
07-09-2017, 21:26
Best sleep ever

Yosemite
Hemmed in by rock cirque
Windless
No insects
So quiet I could hear me blink

After long day

But things that go bump in night dont hangout above treeline. So maybe OP should try above treeline....

Traffic Jam
07-09-2017, 21:49
For some people, knowing you are totally alone is when the fear kicks in.

MuddyWaters
07-09-2017, 22:03

You got to let go.
Accept you can die, any of 10,000 ways
Nothing you can do to prevent fate
Then dont worry
Your free

What you got to live for anyway?

As my daughter says " you cant fly if your afraid to fall"

I recall a documentary on D day, where a commander told how he motivated his squad in the hell they faced on the landing. He told them "lets not die here, lets go die up there. "

Once they accepted they were going to die, they were free to fight. Until they did, they were paralyzed with fear.

Mental desensitization.

Suzzz
07-09-2017, 23:25
What you got to live for anyway?
I don't know about you but I've got lots to live for!

And I completely understand the OP, I'm exactly the same. I have no issues with being alone in the daytime and I've been sleeping alone in a tent for years in campgrounds, backyards and remote camping with a group... but alone... in the middle on nowhere... I've never done it and the idea of it freaks me out. Yes, I know, it's mind over matter, but that's easier said than done.

Nevertheless, in two weeks I'll be doing my first section hike of the AT... alone. At first I wanted to go with someone. Anyone. But the more I thought about it, the more it became clear that I really wanted to do this trip alone. Then I got thinking about sleeping alone and began looking for a hiking partner again but then I quickly came back to my need for some alone time. As much as I like being around people, this is MY hiking trip and I want to be selfish about it. I don't want to have to negotiate every decision... or lack there of. I want to be able to wake up, eat, take a break, and go to bed when I want to, not as the result of a negotiation. So in order to do that, I'll be shelter/ campground hopping. I figure I'll have to be very unlucky to find an empty shelter this time of year. I'll start that way and hopefully one day I'll feel comfortable sleeping alone anywhere. Baby steps.

MuddyWaters
07-10-2017, 00:02
I don't know about you but I've got lots to live for!

The desire for others presence is to "protect" you from harm.

You have to stop being scared of being harmed.
Or stop believing that others are protecting you.
Accept the risk. Quit worrying about it.
Its the desire to be protected from harm thats the problem.
No ifs, ands, or buts. No other solution.

In very few cases do I think if either a killer bear or deranged psychopath, was killing you, would nearby campers intervene....

How one gets to that point is different matter.
Sometimes the brain just gets tired of focusing on something if overloaded with it.

A lot can be gained thru mental visualization excercises, without ever actually doing. Immensly powerful tool.

garlic08
07-10-2017, 07:55
My wife is a solo AT thru hiker, not a forum person. She'll tell you that whatever spiritual being you believe in is in the deep woods. Go out there, get away from the scary people and mechanization in civilization, and relax and enjoy it.

Traffic Jam
07-10-2017, 07:58
Muddy is correct and gives good advice.

I do mental exercises whenever my brain goes into 'the dark place'...count, recite the alphabet, sing, imagine sweeping the thoughts and fear away with a broom, replace the images with memories of happy times. It takes practice and gets easier with time.

Start with baby steps and don't beat yourself up if it takes longer than you want. Keep trying.

Don't let the fear cause you to make risky decisions... i.e. hiking to exhaustion because you're too afraid to stop and camp.

Do not peer into the darkness...for any reason. You will see shapes and shadows. (It is a trigger for me).

Admittedly, my fear never goes away but it is well-managed and doesn't prevent me from backpacking solo, mainly in areas with few other hikers.

KnightErrant
07-11-2017, 06:50
I like being alone and I like backpacking solo, but I'm also nervous about camping completely alone. I prefer to sleep at least a few miles from town or roads, but in hollering distance of a shelter or group campsite. On my 160 mile AT section hike last year, I always tented near the shelter. I never felt like doing so impeded my sense of peace and solitude, and I appreciated the security. As long as you're hiking in popular areas or during a popular season, I wouldn't worry about being alone at the shelter.

Of course, if it does happen, for me I think I'd cope best with the situation by having my tent set up, food hung, and water all prepared before dark, so that I wouldn't have to leave the perceived cocoon of safety of my tent during the night. I'd keep a knife and/or bear spray / pepper spray easily accessible and listen to music or podcasts to drown out any forest noises to set my imagination off. At least, that's basically what I used to do when I lived alone in a house out in the countryside, far away from any main roads or neighbors. I established a part of the house as my "safe zone" and would stay there at night instead of wandering around dark rooms where shadows or creaking floorboards might convince me there was an intruder. Silly, perhaps, but it worked to trick myself into feeling comfortable.

Venchka
07-11-2017, 09:58
After reading about the unpleasant events on/near the PCT in Kern County California, I think that I shall double my comfort zone between cell coverage and pavement and my backpacking route. The Thorofare has always looked good on the map.
Wayne

Tipi Walter
07-11-2017, 10:22
Take heart from the solo women backpackers who have gone before, like 3 time AT thruhiker Dorothy Laker, world backpacker and traveler Christine Thuermer---see her blog here---

http://christine-on-big-trip.blogspot.com/p/about-me_03.html

And this is important---

http://christine-on-big-trip.blogspot.com/p/mentality.html

Here are some of the solo women backpackers I've seen in the last several years---

Trickster thruhiked the BMT and rests on Whiggs Meadow in TN.

Tru also thruhiked the BMT and is climbing up Sycamore Creek trail.

Regina Reiter is a 4 time BMT thruhiker.

Here's German Tourist in the Big Frog wilderness.

Chantelle pulling a solo backpack up Slickrock Creek.

Amy Willow soloed the AT on a thruhike in 2006.

Late Start pulled the Mountains to Sea trail as a solo hike.

Venchka
07-11-2017, 11:21
You forgot Heather Anderson.
Heather began the backpacking season by soloing the Oregon Desert Trail in May. She is currently on the CDT in The Bob. Look it up. 125+ miles between road crossings.
Heather is the real deal. She hikes the long trails solo and self supported.
Wayne

Tipi Walter
07-11-2017, 11:29
You forgot Heather Anderson.
Wayne

If I saw Heather on the trail I would've put up her pic. But you remind me of another Heather who I met backpacking solo on the MST on Gragg Prong---

Heather Housekeeper pulling her 2nd MST hike.

Her blog here---

http://thebotanicalhiker.blogspot.com/search?updated-min=2014-01-01T00

Tipi Walter
07-11-2017, 11:39
See also this Heather blog entry---

http://thebotanicalhiker.blogspot.com/2014/07/a-wilderness-snapshot.html

And this---

http://thebotanicalhiker.blogspot.com/2014/07/mst-thru-hike-2014-complete.html

Venchka
07-11-2017, 12:56
I follow Heather Anderson on Instagram. Very low key.
Make that 200+ miles without a road crossing in Montana.

Venchka
07-11-2017, 13:04
How about Kate through the first half of the Montana Wilderness. Yes. There be bears.
https://www.google.com/amp/s/kateontheroadlesstraveled.com/2016/07/10/the-bob-marshall-wilderness-marias-pass-to-benchmark-ranch/amp/
Wayne

Traffic Jam
07-11-2017, 18:02

Kaptainkriz
07-11-2017, 18:47
I'm in this boat when hiking at night. I flip myself out thinking things are stalking me. All the sounds seem amplified and my senses overload. It takes effort for me to rationalize what the real risks are. I'm most likely to be harmed in a car accident or by disease as opposed to being harmed by anthing (wild or not) on the AT. For me it's a numbers thing and that the thought of the safety of being alone on the AT is what lets me let go and put it aside.

Muddy is correct and gives good advice.

I do mental exercises whenever my brain goes into 'the dark place'...count, recite the alphabet, sing, imagine sweeping the thoughts and fear away with a broom, replace the images with memories of happy times. It takes practice and gets easier with time.

Start with baby steps and don't beat yourself up if it takes longer than you want. Keep trying.

Don't let the fear cause you to make risky decisions... i.e. hiking to exhaustion because you're too afraid to stop and camp.

Do not peer into the darkness...for any reason. You will see shapes and shadows. (It is a trigger for me).

Admittedly, my fear never goes away but it is well-managed and doesn't prevent me from backpacking solo, mainly in areas with few other hikers.

Lostintheforest
07-17-2017, 22:16
I try to get everything set and be in my tent before it's pitch black out. Something about walking around in the dark makes my fears worse. Also, if I'm anxious about other things (can I get this bear bag hung before dark, etc) I'll be more anxious about being alone, so in general being prepared helps.

I also keep a knife, pepper spray, headlamp, and phone I'm one spot in my tent so I can grab if needed. Not sure what good that stuff will do but it makes me feel better.

For me, I don't think I'm going to completely get over being afraid when I'm sleeping solo in the wilderness. But I've decided to do it anyway. It does get less scary the more I do it.

Bronk
07-17-2017, 22:24
Don't camp near roads. People that want to cause you trouble are generally too lazy to walk more than a mile from a road. I made that mistake one time...it was starting to get dark, came across a poorly maintained dirt road. I thought "this is in the middle of nowhere, nobody is going to drive up here at night." Set my tent up about 10 feet from the road. Around midnight I heard a 4 wheel drive coming up the mountain. Drunk kids spent a few minutes throwing beer bottles at my tent trying to get me to come out. I just ignored them and finally they went away.

MtDoraDave
07-18-2017, 07:38

Yep. I'm usually alone. My hiking partner backs out more often than he joins me. I, too struggle when I'm alone, more so when I'm not in or near a shelter or campsite around other people.
After 7 trips, it's going away. Last month, on my first night out for my 8th section, I slept like a baby. I was surprised, because I was at a campsite rather than a shelter, and was completely alone. I think it's from reading this forum, learning that I am in FACT safer out in my tent than I am driving up to go hiking, and consciously reminding myself of it frequently.

Last November I hiked 85 miles north of Damascus alone. The most "alone" I've ever been on the AT. The whole week, I spend exactly ONE night in a shelter with someone else. No cell reception at all for several days at a time. I didn't sleep well for reasons described earlier: every sound was an animal out to get me. I tripped on a root or rock around day three, and realized it wasn't very prudent or safe being so alone with no way to call for help and very reduced opportunities of other hikers coming along to help. It spooked me a bit. I decided that I won't be going hiking alone in the off season again, unless I'm sure there is cell reception or I get a Spot or something.

Suzzz
07-18-2017, 08:49
In 4 days from now I'll be starting my first section of the AT... solo. The prospect of sleeping alone, as I mentionned in a previous post on this thread, already keeps me up at night! I know it's mind over matter and I also know that the likeliness of something bad actually happening is fairly small, yet Im still worried. But I'm determined to do this and I know that whether I'm scared of not, there will come a time when I'm so exhausted that I'll fall asleep anyway. I know I'll sleep like a baby if there are other hikers nearby, the problem will be if no one is around but I'll cross that bridge when I get to it and I'll have my cell/knife/pepper spray close to me in case of emergency. In any event, I'll be on the trail in a few days and I can't wait!!!

Venchka
07-18-2017, 10:42
Suzzz,
You'll be fine! Have a great hike!
You carry more ammunition than I do, which is none.
You're good!
Wayne

Traffic Jam
07-18-2017, 10:56
In 4 days from now I'll be starting my first section of the AT... solo. The prospect of sleeping alone, as I mentionned in a previous post on this thread, already keeps me up at night! I know it's mind over matter and I also know that the likeliness of something bad actually happening is fairly small, yet Im still worried. But I'm determined to do this and I know that whether I'm scared of not, there will come a time when I'm so exhausted that I'll fall asleep anyway. I know I'll sleep like a baby if there are other hikers nearby, the problem will be if no one is around but I'll cross that bridge when I get to it and I'll have my cell/knife/pepper spray close to me in case of emergency. In any event, I'll be on the trail in a few days and I can't wait!!!
You have a great attitude! Have a wonderful hike and be sure to report back and let us know how it goes.

Suzzz
07-18-2017, 13:03
Thanks Venchka and Traffic Jam!

I'll report back once I'm back home.

Venchka
07-18-2017, 16:46
Suzz,
You're welcome!
Wayne

lumba
07-23-2017, 21:11
I agree that other people are realistically the biggest threat you have. You can minimize your contact with creeps/drunk folks by avoiding shelters that are close to road crossings, being prepared to leave a shelter if your gut tells you to, and being ready to say "my husband/friend/roommates are a few miles behind me" if someone starts probing, asking if you're "alone" (as opposed to "solo"), and the conversation feels off.

I don't carry a weapon other than trekking poles and I pretty much always feel safe when I'm out solo with those rules. I do sometimes feel uneasy (way different than "unsafe" or "afraid") when it comes to night critters - I will involuntarily yelp if a frog jumps in front of me during a night run. I accept my reaction as something I can't necessarily control, but I don't let it control me. I've been caught off-guard by critter eyes reflecting in my headlamp and rustling noises in bear country outside my hammock/tarp (which is WAY more exposed than a tent), but I didn't let adrenaline get the better of me. Mentally I told myself, "ok, I'm kinda startled but this is pretty cool" and "I don't know what's out there and that's okay. I don't really want to know anyway. Maybe it's a bear that will at worst paw at my tarp and move on, and I'll give it a warning yell if needed, but it's probably a cricket." To avoid these situations, you can pee right before getting in your shelter, and get settled before it gets dark if you have that option. If you struggle with keeping your fears in check, you could try mindfulness practices that allow you to listen to the sounds going on without attaching emotions to them.

I also remind myself that out in the woods I'm experiencing God and his creations, and that I'm going out there partially to seek that closer experience - which works if you're into that. Some of my relatives carry "trail mascots" i.e. little plush toys, and I have a St. Christopher medallion tucked into my pack. Does it do anything on its own? Of course not. But it's a nice reminder of my faith in an ordered universe. If you don't have any objects connected to your faith, simply get something pretty, lightweight, and perhaps with no practical value, and make it your good luck charm.

The more you get out there, the easier it'll get. And the more fierce solo lady hikers you'll meet who will show you how you can be unafraid. :)

rafe
07-23-2017, 23:03
I'll reiterate what Bronk said. Dont camp near roads. Yes, being all alone in the woods at night can be unnerving. You'll get over it. As for the wildlife, at least here in the east, no worries if you stash your food properly and keep your camp clean, etc. Better yet, don't camp where you cook. Don't dwell on the forest creatures. They might be after your food - and that is worthy of your concern - but they're not out to eat you.

BuckeyeBill
07-24-2017, 02:26
Another consideration is changing clothes in the dark. If you turn on any light at all, you will cast a silhouette that doesn't leave much to the imagination and no I'm not a pervert, just had to shut a few childish hikers. When they were asked if they wanted people talking about their mother, wife, girlfriend or sister like they were very silent afterwards.

Traffic Jam
07-24-2017, 09:59
Another consideration is changing clothes in the dark. If you turn on any light at all, you will cast a silhouette that doesn't leave much to the imagination and no I'm not a pervert, just had to shut a few childish hikers. When they were asked if they wanted people talking about their mother, wife, girlfriend or sister like they were very silent afterwards.

Yeah, men are pigs. A smart lady should exploit that and do a pay-per view...earn some trail money. ;)

kestral
07-25-2017, 00:19
Great post lumba!

how did you get your trail name?

lumba
07-26-2017, 09:12
Thanks, there's lots of great posts here and I hope OP is feeling a little more at ease.

It's a goofy nickname from my husband that was just easy to type. Not an official trail name... yet. :)

jensaito
07-30-2017, 11:54
I've hiked alone many times, and even now I still afraid of sleeping alone in the woods. I can give you some advice, maybe it would be helpful.

1) You should go up to other campers and ask questions like “How can I contact you if I had a problem?”. Ask for the phone number of whoever there.
2) Make sure you have your phone with you at all times and it is charged.
3) Avoid camping in isolated areas and walking alone at night.
4) Take a pepper spray or electric shocker or something like this.
5) Relax. Read a novel before going to sleep. But don't fall asleep in headphones!

English Stu
09-20-2017, 11:32
Not a female. To anyone you meet on the trail you can always give the impression you are part of a larger group who are behind you.

BowGal
01-28-2018, 21:39
I remember the first couple times I backpacked overnight alone. I swear the sound of bears were near, but were squirrels instead. That was 2 years ago when I took to backpacking, hiking and hunting solo. After nearly 30 solo trips, I feel empowered....stronger.
Oh, and I do carry bear spray always with me. While I’ve had two close bear encounters, I keep the bear spray for “special protection” against an unwanted intruder.