PDA

View Full Version : Cookset

partinj
06-12-2017, 13:02
I saw a stanley adventure camp cookset just wonder if any of you guys know if the fuel canisters will nest inside the pot

BuckeyeBill
06-12-2017, 13:45
Check out this review (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m724gTCmOYs) and you will see that with the cups inside, they take up all available space.

partinj
06-12-2017, 13:48
I was gone to get of the cups there a walmart cup that fit on the outside of the pot and the lit from the pot fit the cup to

BuckeyeBill
06-12-2017, 14:12
By the dimensions listed then you should be OK. I would try to test fit it prior to buying.

mister krabs
06-12-2017, 16:44
Only the smallest canisters will fit in the tall/narrow set that comes with two cups, you'll have to ditch the cups. Along with a brs-3000 (https://smile.amazon.com/BRS-Ultralight-Camping-Portable-Titanium/dp/B01AKF4USW/ref=sr_1_2?s=outdoor-recreation&rps=1&ie=UTF8&qid=1497300208&sr=1-2&keywords=brs-3000t&refinements=p_85%3A2470955011) stove, it's a functional and cheap, but not especially light kit. Cheaper and lighter would be the IMUSA 12cm (https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B004444XMY/ref=twister_B01NB139NC?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1) mug with a foil lid -- the big canisters fit in those.

Mugthumper
06-12-2017, 20:35
In the beginning I went the route that you are considering, a Stanley adventure camp cook set and the knockoff GSI cup that they sell. A small fuel canister does fit and it all nests well. I thought the kit was pretty awesome and self contained when I purchased it that I actually bought multiple sets as backups. The cups never came along with me, but are nice for coffee when car camping with others.

I do however recommend a different pot. The base of the Stanley pot is so narrow that fuel efficiency suffers. The setup was also very heavy. My sets are now kept as loaners and stashed in emergency bags and car kits.

If you are trying to stick with a stainless steel pot, Stanley does make a slightly larger pot which I believe is also in their adventure series, but it has a much wider base and comes with two bowls instead of cups. It runs around $25. You will not be able to nest a stainless cup with it, however, I far prefer GSI's backpacker mug which can be had for less than $10.

partinj
06-12-2017, 21:44
I saw a grease pot at walmart it as tall but look wider then the stanley pot and a lot lighter

Mugthumper
06-13-2017, 01:49
I would stick with either aluminum or titanium from a backpacking perspective. I personally only use titanium pots and am a big fan of the Evernew 900ml, MSR Titan and MSR Big Titan. Each has their place.

My go to pot is the Evernew 900ml. With a reflectix cozy, DIY fancee feest, aluminum flashing windscreen , mini bic lighter, squirt top fuel bottle, 1oz fuel measuring cup from a child's medicine bottle, foil ground protector, onion bag mesh pot cleaner, a ziploc and some shock cord to hold the cozy on and the pot closed comes in at 8.25 oz. which is approx the weight of the Stanley pot by itself. Everything nests perfectly. The windscreen gets rolled up and fits inside the fancee feest, the 1oz cup and fuel bottle both drop inside the rolled up windscreen. It is a perfect system for me and it is mostly DIY from items I had laying around from previous projects so it was inexpensive to put together.

If I take a canister which I seldom do due to the extra weight , I take my my MSR Titan. (I only use 8oz canisters because of the cost savings and 4oz are impossible to come by locally)

Either of these pots can occasionally be picked up for around $45 on sale. The Evernew can currently be picked up for $46 online. If you prefer aluminum the grease pot might also be a good option for much less. I haven't used it personally but know that it is a popular option.