PDA

View Full Version : Help me decide through two packs.

Eamonn
06-12-2017, 13:21
Personal experience is appreciated.

Help me decide between the ula ohm 2.0 ( https://www.ula-equipment.com/product_p/ohm-2.0.htm ) and the Superior Wilderness Designs ( https://www.swdbackpacks.com/product-page/long-haul-50l-ul-backpack )

I've spent the last week trying to decide and it's driving me nuts. I currently have an Osprey Atmos AG which I took on the AT with me last year. I love it, but it weighs like 4.5 lbs or something. I'm gonna save it for winter hikes, but need something for this summer and a September Long Trail thru.

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

capehiker
06-12-2017, 16:58
The SWD pack would be my choice. It's more expensive but it has an updated design and has stays for better load transfer. I used to own an Ohm and always found it heavy for a frameless pack. I also didn't like the roll top style on the Ohm if you were carrying a big load. The Ohm was a great bridge between the 3lb backpack and the 15oz backpack but there are better packs out there like the SWD or Zpacks Arc series.

lilbear
06-12-2017, 21:05
I've never used an Ohm, but i just ordered my second SWD pack. The team is great to work with, super communicative and able to make minor design tweaks to meet your needs. I, too, like the support it's given me d/t the stays.

gbolt
06-12-2017, 21:32
I would go the opposite direction and choose the Ohm. 2.0. Stripped down, my comes in at 28 - 29 oz. so I don't see a great deal of weight difference for the increase cost of $75 dollars. While I like the "Stays"; I have never felt the Ohm lacked Support or felt sloppy on my back. I like the fact that the Pad is removable and able to serve multiple functions (Hammock foot insulation). My base weight is under 20lbs. and I max out at 33 with food and water. It still carries nicely. I agree with Capehiker that the ULA Ohm is a great bridge between the 15oz packs and the 3lb packs. More important, it forms a bridge between the base weight of under 15lbs and up to 30 lbs. I love the HIp Belt on the Ohm and utilize the Waist Pockets on the Belt. The Pockets on the outside of the Ohm care more items than just litter water bottles. Finally, I like the stabilizer and adjustments that can be made on the Ohm that more match heavier packs vs. Frameless packs. If I ever got to a Thru Hike weight of under 12lbs, I would definitely look to spend more on a backpack. However, it is difficult to beat the ULA pricing for the purpose it is serving.

The big advantage I do give the SWD, is the fact that it was created for the PCT and a Bear Canister. The ULA Ohm is questionable in this regard and most move to the Circuit to solve the Canister Issue. I would look at the SWD, myself, rather than up to the Circuit.

I think a better question would be between the SWD and maybe some of the newer ZPacks that move closer to the 1lbs pack weight. Like most decisions you must weight out the Cost vs. Benefit that match your needs and desires.

bigcranky
06-13-2017, 00:51
Can you order both and return the one you don't like as much? You'll be out the return shipping for the chance to make the decision with the packs loaded up and on your own back.

(I know that might not be possible with two expensive packs.)

They would both be good choices. I had the original Ohm and the 2.0 fixes every issue I had with it, mostly with the hip belt. But that Long Haul looks pretty sweet, too. :)

kestral
06-13-2017, 12:49
Equinox ares?

http://www.equinoxltd.com/the-gear/ultralite-gear/aras-eagle-pack.cfm

Havent tried myself but worth a look and good price. Anyone use this?

Uncle Joe
06-13-2017, 15:15
I've used the Ohm for nearly 2 years and love. It's only limitation is space. If you need to carry a bear canister and/or need multiple days of cold weather gear and food you might want something a little bigger. I just got the Circuit for that duty. The Ohm will likely still get the bulk of use.

MuddyWaters
06-13-2017, 22:05
Can you order both and return the one you don't like as much? You'll be out the return shipping for the chance to make the decision with the packs loaded up and on your own back.

(I know that might not be possible with two expensive packs.)

They would both be good choices. I had the original Ohm and the 2.0 fixes every issue I had with it, mostly with the hip belt. But that Long Haul looks pretty sweet, too. :)
I gots original ohm 0.5
Before it had a "belt" really, just little winglet pockets and web strap.

So its a different beast. 21 oz. Great pack for its time. Hoop keeps pack open and upright for packing , and gives load lifters something to pull against when pack not full.

Sweatiest, wettest, back I ever had was carrying that pack in hot weather.

In fact, the whole pack would be soaked as it wicked sweat from my back, and have white salt stains.

Such is a frameless sack, with foam pad inside against back, that can carry into low 20s, more wt than a frameless sack should carry.

The other drawback was with the original little belt, you really had to tighten it to support that 20-23 lb load, making waist a bit sore.

Hence why they evolved to better padded belt, then full circuit belt. I imagine sweaty back is the same though.

sethd513
07-12-2017, 15:50
Ohm

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HooKooDooKu
07-12-2017, 16:29
The SWD seems to have more capacity for less weight.

With a quick review, I don't see any major differences beyond that.
So unless you need to save the price difference, I'd go with the bigger pack.