PDA

View Full Version : Newbies

Ssoban
06-13-2017, 10:27
My sweetie pie and I have never done an over night hike. (We will before we begin our hike on the AT). I did my first full day hike last spring and it changed my life. For reals. We are coming from Wyoming the end of June and would like ideas on a 4 or 5 day hike anywhere along the trail. I'm sure I sound like an idiot to you seasoned hikers but if you don't start somewhere you don't get anywhere right? I'm super nervous but more excited! We were originally going to do this in May but my mom got sick so we were going to put it off until next year, but I DONT WANT TO WAIT! I feel like I've been waiting for life my whole life. Sooooooo could I get some advice on a good 30 mile hike that isn't going to kill me? Just read the post on the horrible New Hampshire trails. Haha! I'm from Wyoming where we don't know what a groomed trail is! We have never been in the North East so we aren't sure what to expect for terrain so we are thinking we can safely do 6-8 miles a day. We aren't trying to put on a lot of miles but just enjoy the time on the trail. Any advice is appreciated. I was thinking either Conneticut or Pennsylvania would be good this time of year.

BuckeyeBill
06-13-2017, 11:42
You may have better luck by posting this in the general area. I do believe there is a discussion about this going on here (https://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php/125218-Looking-for-trail-suggestions) that you may find useful.

Ssoban
06-13-2017, 11:47
You may have better luck by posting this in the general area. I do believe there is a discussion about this going on here (https://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php/125218-Looking-for-trail-suggestions) that you may find useful.

Shoot sorry I will do that

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

illabelle
06-13-2017, 13:39
My sweetie pie and I have never done an over night hike. (We will before we begin our hike on the AT). I did my first full day hike last spring and it changed my life. For reals. We are coming from Wyoming the end of June and would like ideas on a 4 or 5 day hike anywhere along the trail. I'm sure I sound like an idiot to you seasoned hikers but if you don't start somewhere you don't get anywhere right? I'm super nervous but more excited! We were originally going to do this in May but my mom got sick so we were going to put it off until next year, but I DONT WANT TO WAIT! I feel like I've been waiting for life my whole life. Sooooooo could I get some advice on a good 30 mile hike that isn't going to kill me? Just read the post on the horrible New Hampshire trails. Haha! I'm from Wyoming where we don't know what a groomed trail is! We have never been in the North East so we aren't sure what to expect for terrain so we are thinking we can safely do 6-8 miles a day. We aren't trying to put on a lot of miles but just enjoy the time on the trail. Any advice is appreciated. I was thinking either Conneticut or Pennsylvania would be good this time of year.

Shenandoah National Park in Virginia is a great place for newbies to get started. Skyline Drive winds through the park roughly parallel to the trail, and crosses it several times. So if you need to bail, it's pretty easy to get back to civilization.

I would avoid Pennsylvania because the trail follows low ridges with water sources that tend to dry out in summer.

Ssoban
06-14-2017, 12:16
Reaearching and this DOES sound like a perfect place to begin. Thank you