PDA

View Full Version : Zpacks customer service

QuietStorm
06-13-2017, 10:40
I have a pack liner from Zpacks I have used at least a dozen times. I've been careful to put only soft items in it like my sleep system and clothes. I noticed a one-inch rip in it after my hike this weekend and contacted customer service by email. I got the automated response but in 48 hours nothing more. I attached photos. I've been generally happy with Zpacks and have bought a number of items from them. For the money they charge for their gear, I thought maybe a response within 48 hours might be reasonable. Anyone else have this kind of experience with them? Do they replace damaged items? Thanks.

cmoulder
06-13-2017, 10:45
Was caused by a manufacturing defect? Unless it was along a seam it probably was not a manufacturing defect.

If not, it can be repaired with Cuben tape and will be as good as new.

Right now has got to be an extremely busy time so perhaps it will take longer.

Can you post your photos here?

If you want, PM me with your address and I can send you a piece of repair tape at no cost.

saltysack
06-13-2017, 11:14
Was caused by a manufacturing defect? Unless it was along a seam it probably was not a manufacturing defect.

If not, it can be repaired with Cuben tape and will be as good as new.

Right now has got to be an extremely busy time so perhaps it will take longer.

Can you post your photos here?

If you want, PM me with your address and I can send you a piece of repair tape at no cost.

I was thinking I'd better buy some cuben repair tape for my duomid and bivi as leaving in few weeks for CT. I assume most just carry small piece for accidental holes etc..you interested in selling a small piece..can't imagine carrying more than a few inches..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mags
06-13-2017, 11:41
When did you send the email? If you sent it Friday or anytime over the weekend, they may have only seen the email sometime Monday.

BuckeyeBill
06-13-2017, 11:51
Not familiar with Zpack, but I have emailed several cottage industry people and several big box retailers looking for information. I give them 5-7 working days for a reply, based on the time of the year as to how busy they will be. When I had warranty issues, I have always been polite in my explanation of the problem and have gotten nothing but excellent service in return. Many times they have sent a new replacement ahead of me so I could keep moving. They usually told me to keep or trash the old part. As someone said post some pictures and we can help you further.

QuietStorm
06-13-2017, 12:21
Thank you. I assume they're probably pretty busy, and in reply to the poster below, I am always polite. I'm just a little puzzled why the pack liner would rip since I've been careful with it. I thought cuben fiber was generally stronger than other alternatives. Here is a photo. It is not along a seam.39608

QuietStorm
06-13-2017, 14:29
Zpacks got back to me today. They're shipping a new pack liner priority mail free of charge. Very impressed.

BuckeyeBill
06-13-2017, 14:32
Thank you. I assume they're probably pretty busy, and in reply to the poster below, I am always polite. I'm just a little puzzled why the pack liner would rip since I've been careful with it. I thought cuben fiber was generally stronger than other alternatives. Here is a photo. It is not along a seam.39608

The polite remark was not directed to you or anyone. Looking at the rip, it can easily be fixed with cuben tape. Was there ever any sharp object in in your pack that may have caused the rip? Give them until Thursday or Friday or even next Monday to answer. If no response by then, resubmit your email with photos or you can try calling.

BuckeyeBill
06-13-2017, 14:33
Oh, good luck with your problem.

Uncle Joe
06-13-2017, 15:02
Pictures of cuben fiber with taped holes is one reason I just don't see a reason to spend the extra money on it.

soumodeler
06-13-2017, 17:41
Cuben, like all materials, has advantages and disadvantages. This is one of the disadvantages. I always carry a foot or so of cuben repair tape with me to repair any rips or holes in the field. The great thing about cuben tape is once you stick it on there, it isn't coming back off, so it is basically good as new.

It looks like somehow, at some point during your hike, or while packing, something pressed too hard in that one spot and ripped it. Highly unlikely it was a manufacturing defect, and once again ZPacks shows their amazing level of customer service by sending you a brand new one when a small piece of repair tape is all it needed. One of the many reasons I buy from them.

Although they can take a while to get back to you :)

MuddyWaters
06-13-2017, 18:25
It is possible to have damaged cuben

That not a rip, its a cut

Try tearing 0.75 cuben

To rip it, it would need to be substantially compromised already with something sharp, or a mfg defect. Defects happen. So do users.

QuietStorm
06-13-2017, 18:38
It is possible to have damaged cuben

That not a rip, its a cut

Try tearing 0.75 cuben

To rip it, it would need to be substantially compromised already with something sharp, or a mfg defect. Defects happen. So do users.

Suggesting what? I'm extremely careful with my gear, and as I wrote in my original post, I've only put my sleep system and clothes in the pack liner. I don't know how it got cut, or ripped. I'll repair it anyway and keep it as a spare.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

saltysack
06-13-2017, 18:52
Suggesting what? I'm extremely careful with my gear, and as I wrote in my original post, I've only put my sleep system and clothes in the pack liner. I don't know how it got cut, or ripped. I'll repair it anyway and keep it as a spare.

Highly unlikely they will replace...I understand your frustration though. This is a good example of why I like cuben for shelters but not packs etc, where cuts or abrasion is likely. A cheap compactor bag or nylaflume would be my suggestion if taping isn't an option for you. I've heard on several occasions these pack liners develop lil holes fairly quick. I only have experience with their food bag so keeping items bone dry isn't a real issue as it's lined with a odor barrier bag anyway. They are a good company but are much slower to respond than other cottage venders I've bought from and prefer i to speak to a person on the phone rather than wait several days for a response.

QuietStorm
06-13-2017, 19:16
Highly unlikely they will replace...I understand your frustration though. This is a good example of why I like cuben for shelters but not packs etc, where cuts or abrasion is likely. A cheap compactor bag or nylaflume would be my suggestion if taping isn't an option for you. I've heard on several occasions these pack liners develop lil holes fairly quick. I only have experience with their food bag so keeping items bone dry isn't a real issue as it's lined with a odor barrier bag anyway. They are a good company but are much slower to respond than other cottage venders I've bought from and prefer i to speak to a person on the phone rather than wait several days for a response.

See above. They're sending a replacement priority mail and free of charge. I've tried compactor bags. Now those develop holes but of course they're cheaper.

saltysack
06-13-2017, 19:41
See above. They're sending a replacement priority mail and free of charge. I've tried compactor bags. Now those develop holes but of course they're cheaper.

Glad to hear it got replaced...actually I get a lot of use out of a compactor bag. Only time I replace is after a longer trip when I fly....I use it to cover my pack as a checked bag on the return flight. If your getting holes in a compactor bag quickly you need to examine what your doing wrong...sharp zipper pull etc?? Should last a long time...

cmoulder
06-13-2017, 19:50
Pictures of cuben fiber with taped holes is one reason I just don't see a reason to spend the extra money on it.

That's the trade-off when using a material that is much lighter in weight than other materials. The benefit is carrying stuff that weighs a lot less.

I have an Arc Blast that has seen three or four small repairs, but you'd never know it because the tape is on the inside and is not visible at all.

And other materials also suffer rips/tears/punctures.... some of them not nearly as easily repaired as Cuben.

QuietStorm
06-13-2017, 19:55
Glad to hear it got replaced...actually I get a lot of use out of a compactor bag. Only time I replace is after a longer trip when I fly....I use it to cover my pack as a checked bag on the return flight. If your getting holes in a compactor bag quickly you need to examine what your doing wrong...sharp zipper pull etc?? Should last a long time...

Nope. I hang in a hammock and use the compactor bag to put my pack in at night. Gets scuffed and holes from ground debris. Don't have any zippers on my pack except for the lid.

saltysack
06-13-2017, 20:06
Nope. I hang in a hammock and use the compactor bag to put my pack in at night. Gets scuffed and holes from ground debris. Don't have any zippers on my pack except for the lid.

Well I can only speak inside the pack lasting a long time! Assume your using the thick white compactor bags? Not contractors bags....I actually started using a nyloflume bag which seems very thin but supposedly almost as durable...time will tell, hope it last through the July Co rain storms!