PDA

View Full Version : Newbie

Ssoban
06-13-2017, 16:33
My sweetie pie and I have never done an over night hike. (We will before we begin our hike on the AT). I did my first full day hike last spring and it changed my life. For reals. We are coming from Wyoming the end of June and would like ideas on a 4 or 5 day hike anywhere along the trail. I'm sure I sound like an idiot to you seasoned hikers but if you don't start somewhere you don't get anywhere right? I'm super nervous but more excited! We were originally going to do this in May but my mom got sick so we were going to put it off until next year, but I DONT WANT TO WAIT! I feel like I've been waiting for life my whole life. Sooooooo could I get some advice on a good 30 mile hike that isn't going to kill me? Just read the post on the horrible New Hampshire trails. Haha! I'm from Wyoming where we don't know what a groomed trail is! We have never been in the North East so we aren't sure what to expect for terrain so we are thinking we can safely do 6-8 miles a day. We aren't trying to put on a lot of miles but just enjoy the time on the trail. Any advice is appreciated. I was thinking either Conneticut or Pennsylvania would be good this time of year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Venchka
06-13-2017, 20:33
Why would you leave Wyoming to hike on the east coast?
I'm driving 1,300+ miles one way to hike in Wyoming.
I genuinely don't understand.
Have fun.
Wayne

Slo-go'en
06-13-2017, 21:26
Coming all the way out to the east coast to hike when you have all those impressive mountains and wilderness in your back yard does seem silly. But there is a world of difference between the two that coming out here to see what the AT is like maybe a good idea.

Forget about PA and CT this time of year. We've already had our first heatwave all the way into northern NH. Where you go also depends on if your driving out or using public transportation.

Either way, I'd suggest a MA/VT hike. Start around the middle of Mass and end in southern Vermont. There are several choices of where you can start and stop. One advantage of this section is Route 7, the major N/S road for the region is near-by so getting shuttled isn't a big deal. The only real down side is it might be busy, but it doesn't really pick up until after July 4th.

You need to get a guide book and study it for a while to make a decision. We all have our favorite sections, so you will get wildly different suggestions.

Ssoban
06-14-2017, 12:21
Thanks for the responses. May seem silly but a change of scenery is in order. Wyoming is a really big small town and unless you have lived here you won't get it. I hope there is more to see than the Rocky Mountains!

Ssoban
06-14-2017, 12:22
Where are you hiking?

Venchka
06-14-2017, 14:07
Thanks for the responses. May seem silly but a change of scenery is in order. Wyoming is a really big small town and unless you have lived here you won't get it. I hope there is more to see than the Rocky Mountains!

Where do you live in Wyoming?
Where have you hiked and backpacked in Wyoming?
Have you visited Yellowstone and Grand Teton National Parks?
Change of scenery:
Montana, South Dakota, Colorado, Utah, Idaho.
Look around. You might find a few places very interesting.
Wayne

Feral Bill
06-14-2017, 14:13
The subtle beauty of the eastern woodlands is different from the west, but no less wonderful.

Venchka
06-14-2017, 14:26
The subtle beauty of the eastern woodlands is different from the west, but no less wonderful.

I suppose. I find the Green Tunnel monotonous. 4-5 days of zero visibility and near continuous rain is depressing. Throw in a mile or two of near vertical boulder field masquerading as a trail and the fun is gone.
That's just me.
Wayne

Slo-go'en
06-14-2017, 15:19
I suppose. I find the Green Tunnel monotonous. 4-5 days of zero visibility and near continuous rain is depressing. Throw in a mile or two of near vertical boulder field masquerading as a trail and the fun is gone.
That's just me.
Wayne

I agree the green tunnel can get monotonous. Western trails have some pretty spectacular views, but are also pretty monotonous. It's all relative.

I like New England trails because of the diversity of plant life (which is really monotonous out west) and the challenging trails which make you think about where to your feet, instead of the monotonous shuffling of feet on western trails. Plus, I'd rather hike in 6 days of rain then 100 degree heat with 5% humidity and no water and no shade for miles and miles.

illabelle
06-14-2017, 15:58
... I'd rather hike in 6 days of rain then 100 degree heat with 5% humidity and no water and no shade for miles and miles.

agree completely!

Feral Bill
06-14-2017, 16:11
Plus, I'd rather hike in 6 days of rain then 100 degree heat with 5% humidity and no water and no shade for miles and miles. Are those our only choices?:eek::eek:

Slo-go'en
06-14-2017, 17:08
Are those our only choices?:eek::eek:

Pretty much. I live where I do just for the three good days in the fall :)

lonehiker
06-14-2017, 17:24
Don't let anyone dissuade you from doing what you want to do.

Venchka
06-14-2017, 18:47
Don't let anyone dissuade you from doing what you want to do.

By all means! You got to go where you want to go.
Have fun!
Wayne
Hiking all by myself out West.

joec
06-15-2017, 12:24
Its not all about scenery. The AT is world famous and I would want to walk on it if I was a hiker and from out west, just to see something different.

SpongeBob
06-16-2017, 19:29
My sweetie pie and I have never done an over night hike. (We will before we begin our hike on the AT). I did my first full day hike last spring and it changed my life. For reals. We are coming from Wyoming the end of June and would like ideas on a 4 or 5 day hike anywhere along the trail. I'm sure I sound like an idiot to you seasoned hikers but if you don't start somewhere you don't get anywhere right? I'm super nervous but more excited! We were originally going to do this in May but my mom got sick so we were going to put it off until next year, but I DONT WANT TO WAIT! I feel like I've been waiting for life my whole life. Sooooooo could I get some advice on a good 30 mile hike that isn't going to kill me? Just read the post on the horrible New Hampshire trails. Haha! I'm from Wyoming where we don't know what a groomed trail is! We have never been in the North East so we aren't sure what to expect for terrain so we are thinking we can safely do 6-8 miles a day. We aren't trying to put on a lot of miles but just enjoy the time on the trail. Any advice is appreciated. I was thinking either Conneticut or Pennsylvania would be good this time of year.

I think the AT from Salisbury CT north into MA is really nice. A good taste of Eastern mountains with some long pastoral views, trail towns nearby and a nice lodge at Mt Greylock, but easier going than further north. 39650

Snowleopard
06-17-2017, 09:34
Some tips to make your trip more enjoyable:
We have bugs, mosquitoes, black flies and ticks. Bring DEET and a headnet. With any luck you won't need the headnet, but bring one anyway. I don't think black flies exist out west; they are tiny biting insects. I hate black flies with a passion! With luck they'll be mostly gone when you get here.
We have Lyme disease and other tick borne diseases. Treat pants, shirt, sock tops and boots with permethrin (https://www.amazon.com/Sawyer-Products-SP649-Permethrin-Repellent/dp/B001ANQVZE/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1497705778&sr=8-1&keywords=sawyer+permethrin+12+oz+pump , lasts a couple of washings). The permethrin makes the ticks drop off and helps with mosquitoes biting through thin clothes.
The last two summers and this summer so far have been very humid and sometimes very hot. If this keeps up I'd recommend going further north, VT, NH, ME. In normal summers northern CT into MA or N. MA to VT are nice. Also be prepared for cold rain (fleece+rain gear).

I'm very tempted to go out to the Wyoming area for the eclipse in August and do some hiking after.

MuddyWaters
06-17-2017, 10:03
The more overly enamored of the AT you are, the bigger let down you will be in for.
Its rocks, roots, trees and hills.

Its the people and culture that make it special.
Even though those same things are killing it.
And...its strenuous. Especially so with a 40 lb pack on your back.

I wouldnt travel Wyoming to AT for 30 miles. Youve got to be kidding. Thats an overnight walk with a light load.
And if your only going 30 miles on the AT you can pack light, very very light.
Maybe 300 miles.

Late June Id either hit Roan Mtn to see the end of the rhododendron bloom, or go up north . Everything else is getting too hot and muggy, possibly dry, for what it offers in south. And the rhodies might be a bust if storm knocks it all down.

Venchka
06-17-2017, 11:43
tips to make your trip more enjoyable:
We have bugs, mosquitoes, black flies and ticks. Bring DEET and a headnet. With any luck you won't need the headnet, but bring one anyway. I don't think black flies exist out west; they are tiny biting insects. I hate black flies with a passion! With luck they'll be mostly gone when you get here.
We have Lyme disease and other tick borne diseases. Treat pants, shirt, sock tops and boots with permethrin (https://www.amazon.com/Sawyer-Products-SP649-Permethrin-Repellent/dp/B001ANQVZE/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1497705778&sr=8-1&keywords=sawyer+permethrin+12+oz+pump , lasts a couple of washings). The permethrin makes the ticks drop off and helps with mosquitoes biting through thin clothes.
The last two summers and this summer so far have been very humid and sometimes very hot. If this keeps up I'd recommend going further north, VT, NH, ME. In normal summers northern CT into MA or N. MA to VT are nice. Also be prepared for cold rain (fleece+rain gear).

I'm very tempted to go out to the Wyoming area for the eclipse in August and do some hiking after.

Venchka
06-17-2017, 11:45
Never mind. I'm not going to whip a dead horse.
Wayne

Maineiac64
06-18-2017, 06:50
The AT is awesome and travel is always a great investment. Hike your own hike.