PDA

View Full Version : Ursack Minor

TwoSpirits
06-13-2017, 20:09
Anyone have any experience with this in the rain? The material is very different from it's big brother, and makes me wonder if it becomes waterlogged?

BuckeyeBill
06-13-2017, 20:48
The Ursack Minor is made from Kevlar, the small stuff as bullet proof vest. It only protests against small sharp tooth critters, not bears. The Ursack AllWhite and the Ursack Major AllWhite are made of “bullet proof” Spectra fabric. They both protect against bears, but not against small sharp tooth critters. The AllMitey is a combination bag the has the Minor laminated to the inside of a AllWhite. If you seam seal it, it is waterproof. I have an AllMitey and it works great.

TwoSpirits
06-13-2017, 21:12
Yes I have the Allwhite already, but thinking about the critter-proof Minor for trips where bears aren't really the issue, like here in Indiana. I sealed the seams of the AllWhite with cuben fiber tape, and while the bag has become wet in the rain, it dries pretty quickly. But the material of the Minor (or perhaps it's the weave) makes me wonder if it can become waterlogged or heavy after spending a night out in the rain.

BuckeyeBill
06-13-2017, 21:16
I always use the 12x20 inch Opsaks for odor control. It keeps thing dry.

daddytwosticks
06-14-2017, 07:10
I have an Ursak Minor that is several years old now. Love it. I have not had my food raided by small critters since purchasing this food bag. However, it does get wet and a bit heavy when rained on and takes quite a while to dry out in my opinion. All my food is bagged in ziplocks or the manufacturers' original wrappings. Do not trust the Ursak Minor to keep your food dry on its own. :)

TwoSpirits
06-14-2017, 09:23
Alright - good info; thanks. I do keep my foods in ziplocks and a large OPsack (for odor control and keeping dry.) So I guess if I can foresee a rainy night, I can maybe put a plastic bag around it...or at least have a bag to put it into so it won't soak the other stuff in my pack. Or hell, just sleep with it I guess.

Thanks.

QiWiz
06-14-2017, 09:55
I have used the Ursak Minor for years, and like it a lot when critters other than bears are the issue. In bear country, hang it or use something else. It is not waterproof but the fibers it is woven from do not seem to absorb water, so it drains well and not much water weight gets added to it when left out in the rain. I use an OP sack inside to protect my food from rain, another type of plastic bag or silnylon liner would also work. I never bother with an outside plastic bag, but that might help as well.

TwoSpirits
06-14-2017, 10:08
I'm thinking that for an upcoming trip in northern Minnesota -- as well as my AT trip through the SNP this fall -- that I will actually combine the AllWhite and the Minor, just like the new Allmighty except not permanently laminated together. If my math is right, the weight of the two is almost exactly the same as the Allmighty, but I'll have the ability to use one, the other, or both as I see fit.

I think I'll pull the trigger and make the purchase. I do have some concerns about a soggy wet food bag inside my pack, but I guess a little creativity can mitigate that.

BuckeyeBill
06-14-2017, 10:25
I do have some concerns about a soggy wet food bag inside my pack, but I guess a little creativity can mitigate that.

Some of the greatest ideas and equipment are born on the trail.

Theosus
06-20-2017, 19:28
The regular one does hold onto water. You can shove it down in a trash bag or something if it gets wet. All my food bags have held onto some water though.
My worst UrSack experience was a snowy/sleeting night north of Damascus. It snowed lightly and the was below freezing overnight. The Ursack absorbed some water and then froze solid. Getting it untied from the tree involved me hovering over the knot with cupped hands, huffing hot breath onto it.

August W.
06-25-2017, 08:46
Anyone had a bear chew on their ursack, and if so how did that work out for the contents of the sack?

BuckeyeBill
06-25-2017, 14:29
On Ursack's website they have a few photos of food after letting a bear "play" with a bag. They sell an aluminum bag liner, but I don't use it.