PDA

View Full Version : Hiking in Colorado - Recommendations? Forum?

YankeeDude
06-16-2017, 10:35
First, thank you to those that helped in my other thread. We've decided to head to Denver for a few days in September to get some hiking in.

Curious if anyone here might have recommendations from personal experience or if there are any forums where I might be able to get some guidance?

Thank you!

dzierzak
06-16-2017, 11:29
There is a Colorado trail forum. Check in Other Long Trails...

Venchka
06-16-2017, 11:54
I'm going back in August.
If you must start from Denver, assuming a rental car, drive west on I-70 to US 24. Turn left, south, and drive thru Minturn. On the south side of Minturn, turn right on a forest service road to Halfmoon Campground. Holy Cross City, Fall Creek, Cross Creek, Fancy Pass, etc. could keep you entertained for at least a week.
By September the hoards should have left Rocky Mountain NP. You could try for a permit for the 30 mile CDT loop on the west side of the park. The Park requires bear cans.
Otherwise put a map of Colorado on the wall and throw darts at it. You can't go wrong.
Wayne

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Venchka
06-16-2017, 11:56
Hiking or backpacking?
It makes a difference.
Wayne

YankeeDude
06-16-2017, 12:53
There is a Colorado trail forum. Check in Other Long Trails...

Good deal, thanks! I completely missed that.

I'm going back in August.
If you must start from Denver, assuming a rental car, drive west on I-70 to US 24. Turn left, south, and drive thru Minturn. On the south side of Minturn, turn right on a forest service road to Halfmoon Campground. Holy Cross City, Fall Creek, Cross Creek, Fancy Pass, etc. could keep you entertained for at least a week.
By September the hoards should have left Rocky Mountain NP. You could try for a permit for the 30 mile CDT loop on the west side of the park. The Park requires bear cans.
Otherwise put a map of Colorado on the wall and throw darts at it. You can't go wrong.
Wayne

Great info, thank you, Wayne. The CDT loop may be perfect.

Hiking or backpacking?
It makes a difference.
Wayne

Backpacking, tent overnight...

We arrive around 7am Thursday morning. We fly out around 6pm on Sunday.

So my thought was to get started Thursday - drive Westbound, hike around 5 miles (a loop preferably), camp overnight, do that with another trail on Friday then maybe a shorter one on Saturday. Or, just break up a 20-30 mile loop trail over those three days...Again, wide open to suggestions. CDT sounds like a pretty good option.

Head back to Denver area Saturday afternoon/evening and grab a couple of rooms. Chill on Sunday, maybe swing by New Belgium or something.

Venchka
06-16-2017, 14:44
That said, I'm thinking Rocky Mountain NP. Ease into the altitude with day hiking around Bear Lake. The Loch/Loch Vale and Bierstadt Lake are my favorites going beck to 1964.
http://www.rockymountainhikingtrails.com/bierstadt-lake.htm
http://www.rockymountainhikingtrails.com/the-loch.htm
Then go to the west side and hike as much of the CDT as you have time for. You might find a cozy local pub the the Grandby area.
http://www.colorado.com/cities-and-towns/granby
Have fun.
Wayne

D.D.Bear
06-16-2017, 18:05
Forgive my tagging into this active conversation, but it's a timely thread. Here's wassup:

Have four weeks of leave in Sept/Oct. Flying into Denver, couple of days in the front country to help w acclimation; head to Grand Teton NP. 5 days in GTNP doing 4 day hikes. Have camp (tent) reservations for all this.

Drive back to RMNP for 7 days in park w 5 day hikes. Tent site reservations are available for my timeframe at Moraine and Longs Peak (Glacier's long booked - checked in March). Understand those campgrounds are at altitude. How concerned w that should I be? I know that's person specific, but I'm from low (sea level +175) alt.

Remainder of trip FYI: after RMNP, head to Grand Canyon north rim for 3 nights w 2 day hikes, drive to south rim for 4 nights w 3 day hikes. Drive to Vegas. Fly home in 72 hours. ��

With all all the above (sorry) any knowledge the fine folk of WB can offload will be accepted w open arms. Really wondering about RMNP. I realize I can't take in a tenth of its beauty. I just need to maximize my time (and $) while there!

Thanks.

Venchka
06-16-2017, 19:13
Are you completely ignoring Utah on the way to the North Rim and the South Rim? Just wondering.
What are your dates in GTNP, RMNP & North Rim? You could be flirting with nasty weather.
Wayne

YankeeDude
06-18-2017, 00:43
Thanks again for the responses Venchka.

No clue why I said 'September' in my post. We're going in mid-October.

Regardless, I'll definitely take your suggestions into consideration - thank you.

Venchka
06-18-2017, 05:05
Thanks again for the responses Venchka.

No clue why I said 'September' in my post. We're going in mid-October.

Regardless, I'll definitely take your suggestions into consideration - thank you.
Mid-October? Ambitious. Take your woolies.
You might want to focus on Breckenridge. The Colorado Trail crosses a paved street in town. Snow removal on the street is standard.
Also talk to the folks at RMNP regarding keeping the roads and campgrounds open.
The best trailheads are 30-40 miles past the end of the pavement and above 10,000'. That's what I did last hear the first 2 weeks of September. I would not trust those roads in mid-October. They are probably fine 90% of the time. It only takes a few hours for that to change to an impassable road.
Wayne