PDA

View Full Version : Gossamer Gear Gorilla 40 vs. ULA Ohm 2.0 vs. Osprey Exos 48

mikegryo
06-18-2017, 11:02
I have a birthday coming up in a few weeks and I'm having a personal crisis in choosing between packs for my first real pack. GG Gorilla 40 vs. ULA Ohm 2.0 vs. Osprey Exos 48. For the next few years I just plan on doing 1-4 night solos (or with buddies that have their own gear), 3-season backpacking along the AT and NY/NJ area. My only concern with the Gorilla & Ohm 2.0 are the "weight limit" of 30 lbs. I don't want to go too heavy obviously but I'm kinda new to "ultralight" and don't want to get something too small right off the bat if I don't have all the right light gear. 1-4 night SHOULD be fine with keeping things under 30 lbs, but again, I haven't done this that much yet.

The Exos can handle 35+ lbs comfortably according to most reviews, but the materials aren't as good. I feel like I'll want to upgrade from an Exos in a few years anyway. To make things more interesting Amazon has a deal right now for $150 for the Exos 48. On the other hand, I love how you can remove the aluminum "frame" on the Gorilla and turn it into a day pack, and the Ohm 2.0 just seems like an overall quality pack and very popular with thru-hikers (even though I'm not interested in thru-hiking anytime soon).

Any advice that would help choose the best pack for my situation would be greatly appreciated!

mikegryo
06-18-2017, 11:06
Just wanted to also mention what base gear I have as it might make a difference. Right now I'm using the Warbonnet Ridgerunner hammock, Hammock Gear Econ under quilt, Costco DIY top quilt for the summer/warmer weather, Warbonnet Cloudburst tarp, MSR Pocket Rocket 2 stove & canister, Sawyer Mini Water filter, a couple of Platy bladders, aluminum 900 mL pot, and a bunch of small stuff that won't add up to much. So, all in all, nothing too heavy so it is possible to stay on the light side. Maybe not ultralight yet, but somewhere in that range.

MuddyWaters
06-18-2017, 12:03
get your other gear first, so you know how much it weighs and how much room it takes up.

Cost is irrelevant. Never buy a gear item because it is on sale, or only X $.
Buy it only because you want it and it suits your needs best.

Otherwise, I assure you, you will eventually replace it with what you do want. And spend 2x the money , or more, in the process.

yaduck9
06-18-2017, 12:54
I have a birthday coming up in a few weeks and I'm having a personal crisis in choosing between packs for my first real pack. GG Gorilla 40 vs. ULA Ohm 2.0 vs. Osprey Exos 48. For the next few years I just plan on doing 1-4 night solos (or with buddies that have their own gear), 3-season backpacking along the AT and NY/NJ area. My only concern with the Gorilla & Ohm 2.0 are the "weight limit" of 30 lbs. I don't want to go too heavy obviously but I'm kinda new to "ultralight" and don't want to get something too small right off the bat if I don't have all the right light gear. 1-4 night SHOULD be fine with keeping things under 30 lbs, but again, I haven't done this that much yet.

The Exos can handle 35+ lbs comfortably according to most reviews, but the materials aren't as good. I feel like I'll want to upgrade from an Exos in a few years anyway. To make things more interesting Amazon has a deal right now for $150 for the Exos 48. On the other hand, I love how you can remove the aluminum "frame" on the Gorilla and turn it into a day pack, and the Ohm 2.0 just seems like an overall quality pack and very popular with thru-hikers (even though I'm not interested in thru-hiking anytime soon).

Any advice that would help choose the best pack for my situation would be greatly appreciated!

When choosing a pack, one should take into consideration how the mfg. measures the volume. One method is an Industry Standard that the major pack mfg use. I assume they use this standard because they belong to some "mfg association" I was in a similar situation with decision paralysis having already set in.
I think that if you e mail Osprey ( a large supplier of packs ) and email / or study GG and ULA websites , you will learn that the two cottage industry packs measure their volume differently than Osprey ( this is what I ran into when comparing the two with a Granite Gear Pack )
Is this good or bad...............no, its just a different methodology. You just need to be aware of it.
I think that once you learn the nuances and look at your equipment, the choice wil become clearer. You may even want to consider a different model.

If there is an REI in the area, they usually have an Exos. You could bring your stuff and see if it fits. And, then go from there.

Mr. Dio
08-08-2017, 15:02
Another great pack for that same price range is the granite gear crown. Just over 2 pounds with plenty of stuff you can snip off to lose that extra weight. Regardless, all of the above packs are great light-weight options

bigcranky
08-08-2017, 21:35
I had the original Ohm, and found it quite unhappy on my hips over 23 or 24 pounds. The 2.0 adds a better hip belt, which is good, but it keeps the same "30 lb" max rating, which would give me pause considering you are unsure if you will be below that. It's really easy to get well over 30 lbs the first few trips. The Ohm is, to me anyway, a more specialized pack and probably not a good first pack choice.

A more conservative choice would be the Circuit if you like the ULA designs. The Osprey Exos could work, too, though make sure you try it on, as the frame can hit you an in awkward spot especially on the hips. At least it did that to me when I wore it around a store for an hour. $150 is a deal if they will take returns.

blue indian
08-09-2017, 10:32
I love my OHm 2..0

Ive owned the golite jam 50, elemental horizons kalais, gossamear gear mariposa, osprey aether, ula circuit.

So far my favorite is still the Ohm. I find it to be a little big at this point and I dont think Ive ever carried more than 26 lbs (thats with 6 day resupply and 2 liters of water). But Its always been comfy. I actually want something lighter and smaller, like the ula cdt.

heatherfeather
08-09-2017, 10:39
I LOVE my GG gorilla. It is incredibly comfortable and versatile. The mesh pocket in the front can store an impressive amount of stuff. The water bottle pockets on the side are voluminous and pretty easy to get things in and out of without taking off the pack. The hip belt pockets are big enough for plenty of snacks. I also love that you use a sit pad as the back padding, which is quick to remove for breaks on trail. I whole-heartedly recommend the pack.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hikermiker
08-09-2017, 10:52
Not exactly relevant to your question but try your Sawyer filter with your Platy bags. I found that the threads do not mate well & leaked. This is not fun when you squeeze the bag.

PatmanTN
08-09-2017, 13:21
Mike,

FWIW, I just tried an Ohm 2.0 last weekend for the first time. I seem to be in the minority on this but I found that for some reason it stresses my lower back. I'm thinking it's just my body type and shape but I did a 44 mile loop in the Smokies last weekend with a total starting weight of 18 lbs (including 2 liters of water). By the end of the trip I had almost completely loosened the hipbelt to get some relief. I can see why a lot of people love that pack though, a great feature set and bomber materials to be sure. I also tried out the GG Silverback (larger version of the Gorilla with heavier fabrics) and found that it carried very well. The top lid was a pain though and I didn't care for the tall vertical stacking of the load.

Outdoor Gear Lab did a nice comparison of lightweight packs here in case you haven't already seen it: http://www.outdoorgearlab.com/topics/camping-and-hiking/best-ultralight-backpack

Trailspace has two excellent reviews of the Ohm here: http://www.trailspace.com/gear/ula-equipment/ohm-2.0/

Heliotrope
08-09-2017, 14:06
I LOVE my GG gorilla. It is incredibly comfortable and versatile. The mesh pocket in the front can store an impressive amount of stuff. The water bottle pockets on the side are voluminous and pretty easy to get things in and out of without taking off the pack. The hip belt pockets are big enough for plenty of snacks. I also love that you use a sit pad as the back padding, which is quick to remove for breaks on trail. I whole-heartedly recommend the pack.

+1 on the Gorilla. Awesome pack.

saltysack
08-09-2017, 14:07
Not exactly relevant to your question but try your Sawyer filter with your Platy bags. I found that the threads do not mate well & leaked. This is not fun when you squeeze the bag.

Evernew bags fit..... work great until break as all do eventually but superior to Sawyer bags...

Recalc
08-09-2017, 14:12
Have about 2,500 trail miles with the Ohm 2.0 and would buy it again. Pack has been stripped down to 22.4 ounces (small body frame).

· Carries a load comfortably. Max weight used has been the low 20’s. Think it is important to keep base weight under 12 lbs.
· Well-made, durable pack. Continues to look nice after a lot of use.
· Appreciate well thought out design simplicity.
· Great customer service.

Dislikes:
· The load lifters on my pack were touchy. Too much pull, and the frame came out of place. ULA provided great customer service on this issue.
· Pack felt sweaty against my back in hot weather.

Bottom line: I like this pack a lot and hope to use it for many more miles.

tflaris
01-10-2018, 17:46
Palate Simple Pack

Dogwood
01-10-2018, 18:10
This is a 7 month old thread but you can take one factor out of the decision equation...purchase price. Right now the GG 2017 Gorilla 40, ULA OHM 2.0, and the Osprey Exos 48 all are between $125-133 so no big backpack dollar cost savings on any no matter the choice.

bigcranky
01-10-2018, 20:09
This is a 7 month old thread but you can take one factor out of the decision equation...purchase price. Right now the GG 2017 Gorilla 40, ULA OHM 2.0, and the Osprey Exos 48 all are between $125-133 so no big backpack dollar cost savings on any no matter the choice.

Where are you seeing an Ohm 2.0 for that price?

Dogwood
01-10-2018, 20:49
There were two OHM's FS one new. Gone though.

Starvin Marvin
01-12-2018, 02:22
Yes, but isn't that price for the Gorilla without the $45 hip belt, that needs to be added to make a fair comparison? Or did I read that wrong?

lonehiker
01-12-2018, 04:22
There were two OHM's FS one new. Gone though.

Dog lives in a fantasy world. Looking at legitimate pricing, it would appear that the GG and ULA are a bit more than $200. It does appear that you can get the Osprey for a bit cheaper. Figure out your requirements and buy appropriately. Bottom line is that any of the 3 packs will work fine for your needs. With today's availability of lighter gear it isn't too tough to get below 30 pounds including food/water.

swjohnsey
01-12-2018, 07:50
The Ohm 2.0 is made in the U.S.A. I used one on my '12 thru, tore a small hole in it on accent of Katahdin. Sent it back to ULA for repair. He sent me a new pack. When I told him I want the old one for sentimental reasons he sent me that one, too!

Dogwood
01-12-2018, 19:12
Yes, but isn't that price for the Gorilla without the $45 hip belt, that needs to be added to make a fair comparison? Or did I read that wrong?

Correct it doesn't include the hip belt.

Dog lives in a fantasy world. Looking at legitimate pricing, it would appear that the GG and ULA are a bit more than $200. It does appear that you can get the Osprey for a bit cheaper. Figure out your requirements and buy appropriately. Bottom line is that any of the 3 packs will work fine for your needs. With today's availability of lighter gear it isn't too tough to get below 30 pounds including food/water.

It's not a fantasy or "living in a fantasy world" to make a comparison mistake and being willing to admit it. I think it great calling folks out which includes myself to keep us all honest. I like the correction. Thank you. :)

saltysack
01-13-2018, 01:00
Loved the previous Gorilla but didn’t care for new one with brain.....

hipbone
01-13-2018, 09:47
Loved the previous Gorilla but didn’t care for new one with brain.....

Sent from my iPhone using TapatalkNew GG Gorilla came out yesterday...back to the old style lid...no more brain

johnspenn
01-13-2018, 10:18
Never owned a GG or Osprey pack.

Have two ULAs, CDT and Circuit. Both are comfortable to me even when loaded past the manufacturer's weight limits. In my dream world I will eventually get the Ohm and Catalyst to complete my stable and have a pack for every trip!

As always HYOH and YMMV etc. etc...

saltysack
01-13-2018, 11:03
New GG Gorilla came out yesterday...back to the old style lid...no more brain

Thx...not surprised as I hated one with brain and seemed huge..way more than 40l......honestly since my gear has evolved from a circuit, Gorilla x2, prophet and soon to be burn can’t see ever needing a heavier framed pack for most of my trips. The no hip belt thing is really comfortable to me as last few trips I’ve left hip belt un clipped and much preferred it. Glad I order burn with comfy prophet shoulder straps and no hip belt.

Venchka
01-13-2018, 11:15
The Ohm 2.0 is made in the U.S.A. I used one on my '12 thru, tore a small hole in it on accent of Katahdin. Sent it back to ULA for repair. He sent me a new pack. When I told him I want the old one for sentimental reasons he sent me that one, too!
Thanks for sharing that. Positive customer service reports are always good to hear.
Wayne

j_jones84
10-07-2018, 01:24
I’m happy with my Ohm 2.0. I wish there was a little elastic to finish the top of the mesh pocket, but no complaints other than that. I’ve hauled the big bear vault in it, which isn’t super pleasant but is doable. I’m downsizing to a MLD Burn as I get more UL. Still keeping my Ohm 2.0 though. For now!

George
10-07-2018, 11:45
gossamer has 2017 med size gorilla for 100 + 45 for the belt

tflaris
10-07-2018, 13:23
Of those options I would go with a GG Gorilla.

I also have own all three.

TF

martinb
10-07-2018, 16:48
gossamer has 2017 med size gorilla for 100 + 45 for the belt
Great deal, I picked one up for my weekenders.

Billiard Yeti
10-29-2018, 10:17

Not surprised. Chris is awesome...