PDA

View Full Version : SNP - Best place to "pop the question"?

Lump76
01-30-2006, 14:07
I am planning a section hike with my girlfriend in Shenandoah National Park this coming June... and I'm considering asking her to marry me. She knows how much I love the outdoors, and she agreed to go backpacking with me, even though it's a bit outside her comfort zone. I'd like this trip to be as memorable for her as I'm sure it will be for me, so I figured, what better time to pop the question? (Plus, maybe she'll be more inclined to hike with me again in the future if she associates it with something romantic, right?)

So my question is this... where do you all think would be the best spot in SNP to propose? Any suggestions would be appreciated. I'm thinking it might be nice to do it right after a re-supply point, so I can sneak some champagne or something in my pack to celebrate.

Any of you ever propose on the AT? How did it go?

Footslogger
01-30-2006, 14:09
Climb Shuckstack tower and pop the question while you are both taking in the view and talking about how "it doesn't get any better than this".

'Slogger

Lone Wolf
01-30-2006, 14:20
Shuckstack is in the Smoky's.

jlb2012
01-30-2006, 14:24
mostly it depends on how private you want this to be - Hightop summit or Hawksbill summit are nice places but you most likely would have other people nearby at the time - going down into Big Run is a good area for mostly private backcountry camping but it is a ways off of the AT - going down to the base of Lewis Falls might be a good choice and its not too far from Big Meadows campstore (you will have people above you but they won't be too close - trail down to the base is not in the best of shape however) South River Falls is another possibility but farther away from a campstore.

BTW be sure to hide the bottle in your pack - glass bottles are against regs in the backcountry of SNP.

Footslogger
01-30-2006, 14:27
Shuckstack is in the Smoky's.
=========================
I KNEW THAT (duh !!) Despite the words Shenandoah National Park in the first line of his post I saw SNP in the latter part of his question and my mind translated it as Smokies.

Sorry man ...Brain Fart. Sucks getting old. Shuckstack would be a decent place to pop the question though ...

Quitting while I'm aheah !!

'Slogger

Lump76
01-30-2006, 14:41
[quote=BTW be sure to hide the bottle in your pack - glass bottles are against regs in the backcountry of SNP.[/quote]

Maybe I'll pour the champagne in my Nalgene. Don't want to break any rules. Or maybe we'll have a little redneck champagne (a couple of Bud 40's) Mmmmmm :D

Sly
01-30-2006, 14:42
So my question is this... where do you all think would be the best spot in SNP to propose? Any suggestions would be appreciated. I'm thinking it might be nice to do it right after a re-supply point, so I can sneak some champagne or something in my pack to celebrate.

On the swing (if it's still there) in front of Rocky Spring Hut which is not far after Big Meadows or on Mary's Rock after Skyland. You may be able to get champagne at either.

Tim Rich
01-30-2006, 15:28
On the swing (if it's still there) in front of Rocky Spring Hut which is not far after Big Meadows or on Mary's Rock after Skyland. You may be able to get champagne at either.

Yes, Mary's Rock if it's not too crowded, just a quick jaunt up from the parking area. What's the other place like that, Old Rag maybe?

The view from the dining room at Skyland is nice, if you want to bring her back to civilization a bit.

The view down the vally from Pocosin Cabin's nice, if you want to reserve it through PATC. It's cheap, just off the AT and Skyline Drive, but private.

Best of luck to you.

Lone Wolf
01-30-2006, 15:45
I would do it up at Blackrock.

Jack Tarlin
01-30-2006, 15:46
There are some beautiful ledges just North of Skyland on the Trail, with a great view. I'd go up there towards the end of the day, where hopefully you'll have the place to yourself. Then you can hike back down for a nice dinner at the Lodge, having made arrangements with the staff for champagne, a special dessert, whatever.

Let us know how it works out!

Shiraz-mataz
01-30-2006, 15:50
I actually proposed to my wife at Hawksbill Gap back in October 1988! We weren't into backpacking or anything at the time but a friend of mine recommended the location. Heckuva day! My wife (to be) had eaten greasy sausage that morning and it wasn't setting well for the winding drive to the trailhead. Then I made her drag her nauseated self another mile or two up the trail to the summit. She told me on the way up, "After all of this there better be a diamond ring at the top of this mountain!" She really didn't suspect anything and was pleasantly surprised when I popped the question. It's true that there were other people around that day but I talked someone into taking our picture while sitting on the rocks.

Shiraz-mataz
01-30-2006, 16:02
Almost forgot - thanks to Jack Tarlin's post for reminding me... After making her schlep up and down that mountain, I took my new fiance to Strasburg, VA. He had dinner at the Hotel Strasburg where I'd arranged to have a dozen roses delivered to the table. You gotta go that extra mile!:jump

jlb2012
01-30-2006, 16:09
the swing at Rock Spring hut is no longer there

Black Rock is a good idea - a short scramble to the top and you are away from the rest of the folks on the trail

Mary's Rock is another good idea as is the area Jack mentioned (Pinacles?)

Lump76
01-30-2006, 16:09
Thanks for the all the great suggestions. Keep them coming! I like the idea of proposing in a scenic spot and then hiking to civilization (maybe Sklyand lodge) for a nice dinner. I'm sure she'd appreciate that after a few days of Liptons and GORP.

the goat
01-30-2006, 16:25
yeah, i'm with sly. mary's rock would be a money place to propose. breathtaking view.

and if it's a weekday, you'll have it to yourself.

also, if you're headed north, you'll hit the thorton gap (US 211) in a/b 1 1/2 miles & you could hitch to luray to the west, or sperryville to the east. the latter has a nice little restaurant and wine bar called the "thornton river grill" the food is great. also, sperryville is an artsy little mountain town w/ galleries, little shops, b&b's and all that.

Kerosene
01-30-2006, 16:39
Boy, this reminds me of my plan when I finally convinced my long-time first-time-backpacking girlfriend to hike with me from Duncannon to Harpers Ferry in June 1979. I carried the ring for the entire hike and never found the ideal time. Now, part of it was the lack of views in that section, but a bigger part was that we were both pretty tired, sweaty and stinky much of the time.

I like Jack Tarlin's suggestion to do this at Skyland. I think you could stay there and get a shower, and if the weather is poor that evening you could traipse up the following morning.

Ender
01-31-2006, 10:20
Just a thought... if hiking isn't her thing, would proposing to her on a hot sweaty hike in the middle of the woods be romantic to both of you, or just to you? It depends on what type of woman she is, and I'm sure she'll be thrilled in any case, but just remember that the moment is all about her.

One of the lodges like Jack suggested is a good idea. You get both wilderness and a shower in one nice little package.

hambone
01-31-2006, 16:06
I am not a particularly romantic guy, and I dread anniversary type events. When I decided to ask my wife to marry me I decided that in case she got all sentimental in the future at least I could get a hike out of the anniversary if I proposed out in the woods. ;)

I got her up on a ridge in Harriman SP in NY (not on the AT, but close). She said yes. She would not let me have the ring that she planned to wear (she has since learned that I can be trusted), so I used my father's old high school ring that is a big indian head.

It has been a few years, and so far we have not returned to the place. I have gotten her hiking with me a few times a year. The frugality of camping appeals to her.

If it feels right to you, and hiking is an important part of your life, go for it. As for that day being all about her, I thought that was the wedding.:confused:

Ender
01-31-2006, 16:33
I am not a particularly romantic guy, and I dread anniversary type events. When I decided to ask my wife to marry me I decided that in case she got all sentimental in the future at least I could get a hike out of the anniversary if I proposed out in the woods. ;)

Very, very good point! Good thinking :)

As for that day being all about her, I thought that was the wedding.:confused:

Let's be honest... it's all about her... the wedding, the proposal, the engagement, the engagement parties... (and that's a good thing!):p

freefall
01-31-2006, 20:47
I always liked Bearfence at sunset. You don't get alot of people up there then and you can go down the backside so you don't have to do the rock scramble in the dark.

StarLyte
01-31-2006, 21:16
Lump76-

Hikers are so romantic! This is right up my alley. Would you post back here after your hike? I can't wait to read the entire story!
Marsha

weary
02-01-2006, 09:59
(Hiking for) "loving pairs ... is to be recommended as an admirable preparation for married life. It is a romantic adventure, but it leads to reality. If you have to carry your beloved, you will probably have to carry her for the rest of your life. You cannot tell till you've spent a night in the rain, or lost the way in the mountains, and eaten all the food, whether you both have stout hearts and a readiness for every fate..." from "The Gentle Art of Tramping" by Stephen Graham, published in 1926.

Sorry. I have no suggestions for where to pop the question. But if you take Graham's advice it should perhaps be towards the end of your walk and after a night in the rain. Graham is an English writer who hiked and "tramped" widely in America, Russia and the Near East during the first quarter of the 20th century. I first read "The Gentle Art...." in the late 1940s while a lonely teenager living in Chicago. It has remained a favorite. I once lost my copy and spent years finding a replacement. It's never been reprinted, but should be.

Weary

Gray Blazer
02-01-2006, 13:28
It could be very romantic! on the other hand (why do I always see both sides?) it could be a long hike if she says "No". I recommend somwhere near the finish line.

jlb2012
02-01-2006, 14:06
Bear Fence might be good in that sense - its only a couple tenths from parking area up to the top

BMRisko
02-01-2006, 15:01
Personally, I would choose somewhere that doesn't have an uphill hike out, incase she says no. ;)

J/K...I'm sure everything will work out great.

neo
02-01-2006, 15:06
make sure this is what you really want,most marriage end in divorce anyway
:cool: neo

Gray Blazer
02-01-2006, 15:09
make sure this is what you really want,most marriage end in divorce anyway
:cool: neo
Neo, I'm sure you know that marriage is the leading cause of divorce.

Cookerhiker
02-01-2006, 15:12
OK, I'm biased because this is in "my" section but there are nice things about HighTop. A short i.e. 40 ft. side trail from the ridgetop leads to a beautiful rocky outcropping with a splendid view westward. Chances are it's nowhere near as likely to see others as some of the other places listed.

At that point, it's only 1.5 miles down (northbound) to Skyline Drive and another mile to Swift Run Gap where you could hitch into Elkton (or further into Harrisonburg) to celebrate.

Best wishes to you both.

RockyTrail
02-01-2006, 15:51
...And make sure she ain't driving the shuttle car just in case she says no! :)

Skyline
02-01-2006, 16:22
Crescent Rock, a rock viewpoint just a short walk away from Crescent Rock Overlook on Skyline Drive south of Skyland, has traditionally been a place where weddings and the like have taken place. So why not proposals?

Many other good suggestions here in this thread. Has Old Rag been mentioned yet? It's a bit of a rock scramble up near the top but well worth it. Avoid weekends tho unless you want a crowd.

A loop hike that's one of my favorites would combine great proposal locations as well as camping is the Doyle River/Jones Run/AT loop in the South District. A total of four waterfalls, plus good backcountry camping at several sites not far from the junction of Doyle River and Jones Run. E-mail me privately (click on my name here and it will lead you to an interface whereby you can send an e-mail--just be sure to include YOUR preferred e-mail addy for me to reply to) and I'll be more specific about the sites--SNP gets fussy about posting too much info on the web about precise backcountry camping locations.

Just this past October I met a couple one morning on Sassafras Mt. near the east end of the Foothills Trail in South Carolina. They had camped up there, coinciding with a proposal the night before. Sure seemed sweet.

jhedrick
02-01-2006, 16:43
Many great suggestions. I agree with Jack that Stoney Man or Little Stoney Man would be good choices. There is a good overlook behind the Great Meadow Lodge that overlooks the AT. There is a paved walk to the overlook. Pop the question, then adjourn to the Lodge for drinks and a meal.

I'll be the SNP Ridgerunner again this year, so let me know when and I'll take the pictures.

Web Breaker

RockyTrail
02-01-2006, 17:53
[quote=Skyline -SNP gets fussy about posting too much info on the web about precise backcountry camping locations.
[/quote]

Really?
That's very interesting...I didn't know they had the authority to do that (unless maybe for employees?)
I thought as a public-owned and use area they were obligated to be open to all.:-?

StarLyte
02-01-2006, 19:41
I am assuming this is a mutual loving relationship - don't be a fool and pop that question anywhere unless you know for certain that she loves you. You will only hurt yourself and you will be one miserable schmuck.

Now, if you're certain she loves you.......make sure the moment is right, and be gentle, and make every effort to make it romantic, and then ask her.

Oh she'll be floating the rest of the hike. Don't screw it up and do something dumn after that--keep the hike as romantic as you can.

A nice intimate place in the next day or two might be a good idea too.

So when you return you'll let us know, and then invite all of your hiker friends to the wedding right?

Marsha:clap

Skyline
02-02-2006, 00:01
Really?
That's very interesting...I didn't know they had the authority to do that (unless maybe for employees?)
I thought as a public-owned and use area they were obligated to be open to all.:-?

When I say "fussy," I'm not talking about legal action. I'm talking about a private slap-on-the-wrist. Something that, as a volunteer, I'm eager to avoid.

SNP backcountry rangers really don't want to highlight specific backcountry campsites in a public forum (website, periodical, video, book) for fear of them becoming overused. That's why if you inquire about campsites at a visitor center when getting your backcountry permit that they will show you maps with general "zones" colored in that point you in the right direction. From there you're on your own and it is hoped if there are several obviously pre-used sites in a zone that each will get some use instead of just one.

Skyline
02-02-2006, 00:04
Many great suggestions. I agree with Jack that Stoney Man or Little Stoney Man would be good choices. There is a good overlook behind the Great Meadow Lodge that overlooks the AT. There is a paved walk to the overlook. Pop the question, then adjourn to the Lodge for drinks and a meal.

I'll be the SNP Ridgerunner again this year, so let me know when and I'll take the pictures.

Web Breaker

Web Breaker,

Glad to hear you'll be back in '06! I think it's a unanimous opinion you did a great job in '05. See ya out there.

Skyline

dixiehiker
02-02-2006, 01:20
You are so sweet to think about this in advance to make it just right for her! She will remember this all her life! I wanted to suggest to you too that you print out all of these posts to keep for the future! I think it would be touching to her to read all of this to see just how MUCH you thought about it and the romanticism you put into asking her to be your wife! We women love things like this!

It's not in the area you are talking about, but it's a perfect example. I had this "dream ring" that I had seen in a store a few years ago and wanted so badly. We were already married, so I wanted my husband to get it for me for our 10th anniversary. Well, last year, after getting a bonus at work, and keeping it a well hidden secret, he went out and got the ring that I admired so (and it wasn't even our anniversary as I had thought he MIGHT get it on...he just wanted me to go ahead and have the ring anyway)! He sneaked it in the car, and I rode all the way to the Smokies in TN, without knowing a thing about it! Finally, one evening, as I was gazing out over the mtns. at Newfound Gap, he pulled it out and gave it to me. I was FLOORED! I did NOT expect it AT ALL, and I can tell you now, I will NEVER forget that moment on top of the Smokies when my husband made one of my dreams come true!

Good luck to you too!
-dixiehiker

minnesotasmith
02-02-2006, 07:05
1) I agree that proposing marriage on a hike is best done near the end of the hike.

2) If you get told no, be prepared for termination of the two of you hiking together. Just as hitting on a platonic female friend is kind of a betting double or nothing deal, so is proposing marriage. Generally, once that comes up, the man and woman that make up a couple will either get closer, or will become more distant WRT each other; things will NOT remain the same.

3) I'd advise making a proposal on a day that a private room (motel or at least a private cabin with HVAC and running water) is going to be relatively convenient by nightfall. This is for obvious reasons...

Lump76
02-02-2006, 18:53
Lots and lots of great advice. Thanks to all of you. Now I just have to sort through all the ideas and figure out what will work best with our itinerary.

I just wanted to follow up on a few things...

Yes, I know what I'm getting into and the risks involved. I was married once before, and unfortunately it ended badly. So I've been very cautious about getting serious with anyone again. But I am 110% sure that I want to spend the rest of my life with my girlfriend. And I'm sure she will say yes. We've talked a lot about marriage and wanting to start a family, etc.

One of the reasons that I want to do something romantic and memorable when I propose is that I want to "top" what I did for my ex-wife. I proposed on a bridge in a local park after serenading her with a song I wrote for her (I know, I know... kinda cheesy, but she liked it). It was pretty romantic... but I want this proposal to blow that one away.

I told her I can't afford a ring right now. So hopefully she won't be expecting it. Now... as long as it isn't a miserable rainy week with no views, it should work out just fine.

I'll let you guys know how it goes.

the goat
02-02-2006, 23:56
word. good luck, dude.

freefall
02-03-2006, 00:51
word. good luck, dude.

Yea, good luck!

Twofiddy
02-04-2006, 00:07
I'd say you should ask her under that boulder in the crack on Old Rag.

If she say no, you could pull the peble out that is holding the boulder in place.

A Big Meadows sunset would be a cool place to...

YellowBear
12-08-2007, 21:42
If hiking's your passion, you may want to wait a while. Will she put up with you being gone for days/weeks/months at a time without her? If you want her to be your hiking partner for a lifetime, you may want to get her bitten with the hiking bug before popping the question. May take some time... On the other hand, if you already know she's the one, then Stony Man at sunset is way cool. This gives you a nice finish at Skyland Lodge that I am sure she will appreciate.

Another cool place would be Old Rag. I overnighted on the summit when camping was still allowed. At sunset, I saw a couple set up a tripod with a VHS recorder on the adjacent rocks and disappear for 20 minutes. They returned wearing a tuxedo and bridal dress, with chapagne and glasses in hand. I couldn't hear a thing cuz of the sunset breeze, but I am sure it was a proposal. (or a Reunite commercial..

Best!

Lellers
12-09-2007, 00:01
Wow, the original post was a while back, and I'm wondering how it turned out, especially as I was in SNP a lot in 2006. Wondering if I might have been nearby if/when the question was popped.

I had an interesting romantic adventure in SNP in September 2007. I have been "unequally yoked" to my non-hiking hubby for nearly 24 years. He really dislikes being outdoors. He's attempted to go with me many times, and we've tried camping in every form imaginable. The only sort of camping he can tolerate is parking in a private campground with a pool and bingo. While that's how I started out back in the 1960s with my family, it's not my cup of tea anymore. Last year, the sweet man took me to the Ritz-Carlton in Philly for our anniversary and told me, "Now THIS is my kind of camping!" (Yeah, I loved it, too, don't get me wrong.)

So, I came up with a wonderful compromise. The two of us left the teenaged man-children home one weekend in September and took off by ourselves for Big Meadows Lodge. We had a nice room with a balcony overlooking the trail. Lovely room! It really was. I can't tell you how many times I've hiked past the lodge and looked up at the place, pack on my back, stinky, sweaty, bug-bitten, and thought, "Those poor sad little people who must stay in a hotel wherever they go! They're like dogs chained to a bolt in the ground!"

So, I go out on the balcony and look down on the trail. I mean, how close is the AT to the back of the lodge? Maybe 50 yards or so? It's right there, so you can see everyone going by. And I'm standing there looking down, and a backpacker goes by, and he looks up at me standing there, and I was soooo ashamed! OMG! Does he think I'm a pitiful chained dog! Noooooo! I'm not like these other people up here! I'm one of you! Really, I am! I wanted to shout and run after him, catch up and explain to him... It's not me, it's my husband! He's such a panty-waist! But I can do it! I can live out here on the ground and love it!

Instead, I turned, put my head down in shame and ran back into the room.

The next day, hubby and I had a lovely day hike, about 8 or 9 miles down to Hoover's camp and back. We were chugging away, too. Hubby is 6'3" with really long legs, and he's a very serious runner. I'm the kind of hiker who stops to look at every flower and crawly-bug along the way. So, I had a bit of a workout keeping up with him. We got back to Big Meadows Lodge, and while I was showering, the sweet man ran down to the wayside, bought some wine and cheese, and had set up a really nice tray for us on the balcony.

I went out and sat down, had a few glasses of wine and enjoyed the view as the sun went down. And then a tired NOBO hiker came along the trail. Hubbs watches the hiker for a bit and then says to me, "Which is better? Isn't it nice up here on the balcony?" Yes, it surely was nice up on the balcony, and after all the years together, I think we've finally hit on a compromise at Big Meadows Lodge.

Now, I haven't crossed over to the other side! I'm still planning another SNP section hike this summer. But when I get to Rockfish, hubby will pick me up, and we'll spend the night (or two) at Big Meadows Lodge on the way home. So, if you see me up there on a balcony when you walk by, I'll lift my glass to you, and try not to think evil thoughts about me.

PS: Meet us in the taproom, and the beer is on us!

Skyline
12-09-2007, 10:00
Great post, Lellers!

They don't often admit to it, but I've known trail-hardened thru-hikers, and even more section hikers, who've splurged on lodging at Big Meadows and Skyland. Kinda pricey, but so what? ;)