PDA

View Full Version : Vermont AT - Stony Brook Road

Cookerhiker
06-19-2017, 11:02
On the AT east of the Long Trail/AT split, the trail comes to Stony Brook Shelter. The ALDHA Companion list Stony Bridge Road (my emphasis) .8 miles later. But the Green Mountain Club's Long Trail Guide's section on the AT does not refer to a "road" but a bridge over Stony Brook. In response to my phone call, the GMC HQ told me there is no passable road for vehicular access. Lots of old logging roads in the vicinity, but nothing driveable.

Has anyone been to Stony Brook bridge/road recently? Can a car get there?

Slo-go'en
06-19-2017, 20:44
I would take the GMC at their word about this.

Teacher & Snacktime
06-23-2017, 00:52
My ALDHA Companion makes no reference to this crossing at all, but both the ATC map and Google maps clearly show where the AT crosses Stony Brook Rd just east of the shelter. I'll go check it out Saturday. It looks very easily accessible from Rt 107

I also found several ads for real estate available on this road.....if somebody lives there, or if lots are being sold, there must be some way in!

Cookerhiker
07-10-2017, 20:02
I drove on Stony Brook Rd. last week from its beginning at Rt. 107 near Stockbridge. It is passable all the way to the AT - about 6.2 miles. The last mile is rougher but I was able to make it with my Jeep Grand Cherokee.

Teacher & Snacktime
07-10-2017, 21:28
I drove on Stony Brook Rd. last week from its beginning at Rt. 107 near Stockbridge. It is passable all the way to the AT - about 6.2 miles. The last mile is rougher but I was able to make it with my Jeep Grand Cherokee.

Cool Beans. Rain Man will be happy!

Rain Man
07-10-2017, 22:22
Cool Beans. Rain Man will be happy!

You bet he will!!! ;)