PDA

View Full Version : Teen-Friendly Overnight with views and Waterfalls,Swimming holes SHENANDOAH NATL PARK

linus72
06-19-2017, 14:16
Looking for a nice overnight with hiking in SNP. I have two teens and both have enjoyed overnight backpacking trips and have all the gear. Will be traveling from Gordonsville to Luray over the holiday so have to cross the park and would like to do either an overnight backpack or stay at one of the campgrounds with a few nice day hike loops we can access without the car from one of the campgrounds. 5-ish miles a day with stops at swimming holes or falls and some epic views would make it enjoyable for all. I guess we're going through Thornton on that drive... (I posted a few weeks ago about day hike options but also want to look into overnight options).]

I found some on SNP site but what have you all got recommendation wise?

thanks in advance.

Slo-go'en
06-19-2017, 14:35
One word of caution. Climbing up along waterfalls is hard to resist, but is very dangerous. Every year people get injured or killed doing this. Teenagers are one of prime risk groups.

Swimming holes are in the low lands, waterfalls are up on the side of the ridge and views area at the top of the ridge. The only way to combine all three is to start at the bottom and climb up to the top. I imagine there are only a few places which that can be done.