PDA

View Full Version : Tough Day in Maine

LoneStranger
06-19-2017, 14:54

Conditions were pretty wet and grim out there before today's storm. Glad I'm just a backpacker so I could get the heck out of there. Hope folks found some place to ride it out safely.

LoneStranger
06-20-2017, 08:25
Those initial couple of bursts dropped 4-5 inches in less than two hours along the ridges between Caratunk and Monson. Another inch or two from later parts of the storm probably didn't help, nor did this morning's line of rain. Can't imagine the water crossings are much fun today.

peakbagger
06-20-2017, 09:24
Generally if you look at the gages heavy rain from thunderstorms will spike them and within 6 to 8 hours they will drop to the prior level. Once the trees are leafed out they will suck in lot water which reduces the impact. If in doubt at a water crossing set up camp and wait it out.

LoneStranger
06-20-2017, 10:17

Hope those trees are thirsty because it is lined up over the trail again today. Should get a break and then one more line for dinner.

Slo-go'en
06-20-2017, 14:45
Here in the Northern Prezzies, we had pretty strong storms last night with light rain continuing until morning. Then a couple of strong squalls this afternoon. Points south got hit harder. Not a good time to be caught above tree line. But then, I bet a lot of people are enjoying the break from the oppressive heat and humidity of the last few days.