PDA

View Full Version : Ever been bitten by a dog on the trail?

Fiddler
01-30-2006, 14:28
Ever been bitten by a dog on the trail? Ever been bitten by a dog anywhere else? If on the trail how many times out of how many trail experiences? Include if you care to why you think you were bitten.

Seems like everytime the subject of dogs comes up there are a few here (maybe 2 or 3) that display such an obvious hatred or fear of dogs they feel they must post after every 4th or 5th poster to display this feeling. I can't understand why some are so paranoid.

To the best of my memory I have been bitten twice in my life. Once by a friend's dog, we started horseplaying and the dog, not knowing me, was simply being protective. The other time I was warned not to get close to a dog that was chained up. I tried to pet it anyway. My stupidity. No serious injury either time.

And please, no crying about whether or not dogs should be on the trail. Just information on your experiences.

general
01-30-2006, 14:39
never bitten on the trail. got nipped by a doberman with pups once. i wanted to get a good look at her pups. she didn't want me to look at the pups. 100's of trail experiences with 0 bites.

gsingjane
01-30-2006, 14:50
I was attacked by a pit bull walking down a sidewalk in Brooklyn, NYC. I was pushing a stroller with my then-one-year-old son in it, barely had time to register "oh, that's a parking meter with a PIT BULL tied to it!!!" when the dog was on my calf. He latched on and I started screaming, trying to shake the dog off my leg simultaneous with lifting the carriage high in the air and trying to make sure the dog didn't bite my son in the face. I got a nice bite taken out of my calf (through my jeans) but fortunately my son was unharmed. We called the police but of course by then the dog and its owner were long gone. At that time it was very popular for drug dealers to stride around Brooklyn with these dogs so maybe it was for the best they didn't find the owner.

No, I don't care for dogs on the trail but, as my experience shows, yes there IS such a thing as an unprovoked dog attack.

Jane in CT

Almost There
01-30-2006, 15:11
Last Thursday night at 3 in the morning I am lying on my back in bed dreaming. Anyways, for a moment I hear growling and all of a sudden my side lights up...my 4lb chihuahua bit me right above my waist on the side. I fly up into the air yelling OWWW!!! ******!!! scaring the krap out of my wife and my other dogs. I still have the marks from his incisors on my side, he didn't break the skin but the whole next day it felt like I had been bruised. Anyways...now I am deathly afraid of dogs...no, not really, but the story about he bite is all true. I must have bumped his nose or something and startled him so he decided to go after A.T., the other White Meat!

Mags
01-30-2006, 15:17
My closest encounter with a dog was on the northern part of the Long Trail, maybe 30 miles from the end.

I was walking a long on the part of the trail that bordered a farm (large amount of private land in any case) when what I call a "yappie" dog comes running along. I started laughing. What's it going to do..bite my ankles? :)

Yap! Yap! Yap!

Then..ouy of nowwhere comes this large, big, mean nasty mixed-breed dog..an old fashion mutt. This dog starts barking and growling quite loudly. I can see the spit foaming. I grabbed my poles and was ready to jab it. Kept on walking away while facing the dog.

Not gonna lie, my adrenalin level was rather high!

The little dog must have hired the larger one for muscle. :)

OTher than that, my only other dog encounter was when a chocolate lab named "Widge" woke me up in my sleeping bag by aggressively licking my face. As I was in a mummy bag, it was rather comical. I was yelling "Widge! STop it!" as both Widge's owner and myself were laughing.

Nean
01-30-2006, 15:42
In 89, my 1st day in NY, along a WB roadwalk that was reloed long ago. I saw this huge, black, german shepherd sunning on the trunk of a bright red '72ChevelleSS. The dog just watched as I walked by and I watched him too! About 2 doors down and out of nowhere this dog flys through the air and catches me just below the shoulder. My arm was swinging forward, away from the dog, so I escaped with a scrape. The owner heard little girl screams (mine:o) and quickly called off the dog. When I hollered his dog just bit my arm, he yelled back: Keep your arm out of his mouth then!! It was just how this ol Texas boy had always imagined NYers to be.:D I have 2 more stories but will spread them out.:) I love hiking w/ a dog.:)

the goat
01-30-2006, 16:10
when i was hiking through tenn., a big hound dog came chasing from behind me on the trail and barking up a storm. he was coming at me on a straight away, so could hear him from aways off. when he got a/b 30-40 feet from me, i turned, raised both hiking poles, started snarling and yelling, and began charging him! it was a hilarious sight, this dog did an about face and quickly tore back from whence he came. man, i've never seen such an abrupt change in a dog's demeanor.

Rain Man
01-30-2006, 17:29
Seems like everytime the subject of dogs comes up there are a few here (maybe 2 or 3) that display such an obvious hatred or fear of dogs they feel they must post after every 4th or 5th poster to display this feeling. I can't understand why some are so paranoid. .....

And please, no crying about whether or not dogs should be on the trail. Just information on your experiences.

Seems as if you wouldn't be THE ONE SETTING THE CRYING TONE, if you didn't want others to "cry." Might wanna go check the mirror on occasion? You could have posted without your own "obvious hatred" (?) of folks who like dogs to be under control.

I suspect one reason, besides the simple and real logic of it, that some folks have paranoia (?) of dogs is that there are real dog bites (not to mention real instances of dogs stealing food, shaking rain water all over hikers and gear, peeing on tents and gear, acting aggressive, ad nauseum). Compare that with folks who have paranoia of snakes when there are no real snake bits? People are funny animals, as you yourself proved.

Rain:sunMan

Almost There
01-30-2006, 18:05
Jeez Rainman! Rain on his parade...Dude, he just wanted stories, quit the bitchin! Some of you are so surly and crotchety it's downright amazing! I agree with you about dogs on the trail, but hell, man, if you have read enough threads it becomes a typical battle when people start with it, all he was trying to do was eliminate fighting and people could just share their stories.

Jack Tarlin
01-30-2006, 18:24
It wasn't exactly on the Trail, but I have scars on my right forearm (and probably another on my ass, tho I don't know for sure) from the late Keith Shaw's thoroughly obnoxious dog Buster, who nailed me real good around five years ago. It was sort of my fault, as Keith had made it quite clear that Buster was to be avoided when he was dining, tho truth be told, he wasn't that pleasant a dog when he WASN'T eating.

Eventually, Buster made the supremely careless, and as it tuned out, final mistake of taking a healthy bite outta Keith, which led in short order to an "Old Yeller" moment out back for Buster.

Upon hearing the news of his untimely (and in my opinion, entirely unlamented) demise, I told Keith I was sorry for his loss, and then, as I recall, offerred him a drink and my thanks.

I miss Keith a great deal.

Buster, truth be told, was no great loss. I hope wherever he is, the water source is lousy.

Ender
01-30-2006, 18:28
I hope wherever he is, the water source is lousy.

:D That made me laugh out loud!!!:D

Fiddler
01-30-2006, 18:47
Seems as if you wouldn't be THE ONE SETTING THE CRYING TONE, if you didn't want others to "cry." Might wanna go check the mirror on occasion? You could have posted without your own "obvious hatred" (?) of folks who like dogs to be under control. RainMan
Rain Man, I took your advice. I went for a look in the mirror. This is what I saw:

I saw a person that has had a dog nearly all his life. Since I got my first one at the age of six, best I remember.

I saw a person that likes to take his dog on walks around the block, or out for a hike of a day or less. I would not subject him to a multi-day hike of any length.

I saw a person that will always have his dog on a leash anytime he is outside the house or fenced rear yard.

I do like dogs to be under control, on a leash, and don't have much respect for those who choose to let a dog run loose both for the peace of mind of other people as well as for the safety of the dog. I have no more use for aggressive or rowdy dogs than anyone else. I do not want any of my belongings disturbed in any manner by someone else's animal. I do not want to be jumped upon by even the friendliest of dogs, even the smaller ones. This is on trail or off.

I agree with those who do not think dogs should be brought on the trail. But I also feel it is their (the dog owners) decision, not mine, and to not keep a dog on a leash if they do bring it is irresponsible behaviour, as well as a sign of dis-respect to their fellow hikers as well as to themselves and their dog.

I just sometimes get tired of seeing so much negative hostility set forth by so few.

And thanks for the support Almost There.

Skidsteer
01-30-2006, 20:22
It wasn't exactly on the Trail, but I have scars on my right forearm (and probably another on my ass, tho I don't know for sure)

Well, thank God you didn't ask for volunteers to check your ass! :D

Blue Jay
01-30-2006, 20:27
I just sometimes get tired of seeing so much negative hostility set forth by so few.

Actually the negative hostility about dogs is coming from justifiably more than just a few.

digger51
01-30-2006, 20:29
In Hot Springs 2004 a female hiker tied her dog on the bench outside the outfitter. Every time someone walked by it came out at them snarling and snapping. I came within inches of getting bit and a guy didnt move fast a couple minutes later and got bit. The outfitter owner asked her to move the dog and she got belligerent and mouthed off to him for several minutes. I ran into her again in Daleville, Va and the dog was still hostile and she was still belligerent.

Ridge
I've got scars and a destroyed 100+ jacket because of a dog attack at Mt Albert (NC) when the hikers where sight seeing at the top of the fire-tower and left their unleashed attack dog at the bottom, I walked up and proceeded to be attacked and had to try and fight the dog off while the owner tried to get down and restrain the mutt. They took off without offering to pay or assist me only to say "he's never done that before". So, as I've said earlier I've had a toxic dose of dogs and stupid aE$ owners who can't manage their mutts. I've even considered carrying a gun, question is, which one do I shoot? Oh yea, had to go into Franklin for stiches on my hand.<!-- / message --><!-- edit note -->

Lone Wolf
It wasn't exactly on the Trail, but I have scars on my right forearm (and probably another on my ass, tho I don't know for sure) from the late Keith Shaw's thoroughly obnoxious dog Buster, who nailed me real good around five years ago. It was sort of my fault, as Keith had made it quite clear that Buster was to be avoided when he was dining, tho truth be told, he wasn't that pleasant a dog when he WASN'T eating.

Eventually, Buster made the supremely careless, and as it tuned out, final mistake of taking a healthy bite outta Keith, which led in short order to an "Old Yeller" moment out back for Buster.

Upon hearing the news of his untimely (and in my opinion, entirely unlamented) demise, I told Keith I was sorry for his loss, and then, as I recall, offerred him a drink and my thanks.

I miss Keith a great deal.

Buster, truth be told, was no great loss. I hope wherever he is, the water source is lousy.
That SOB of a dog bit and ripped my jeans one year after I was tipping a few with Keith in the barn and I got too close to him.

Jack Tarlin
01-30-2006, 20:35
Well, Wolf, at least you know that I didn't make the story up!

And I was in Hot Springs the day the helldog was biting people out in front of the Outfitters.

When I spoke to the owner, she told me it was none of my business. All the while, the dog was straining at it's leash trying to get to my leg.

I said fine, it wasn't my business, but I told her if the dog bit me, she'd be facing either an appointment with a lawyer, or a date at the pet cemetary.

Some folks just don't get it.

Oh. There was universal rejoincing when she quit hiking.

Lone Wolf
01-30-2006, 20:37
She was probably one of those man-hating lesbyanns.:)

Ridge
01-30-2006, 20:45
It's amazing the number of bites/attacks by dogs that was brought to the trail by others. People get bit by snakes, bears, along with the rest of the wildlife much less. Hikers with their mutts care less than smokers or people who litter. In some cases they are all the person.

kyhipo
01-30-2006, 20:46
My dog buster bit on my trail to the house :cool: dumb dog gets redneck in a heart beat.ky

hambone
01-31-2006, 16:45
I was hiking from a motel to park HQs for a meeting some years back. I got up early and hiked into the park in a trailless area using a map and compass. I was doing fine, except I kept stopping to look at plants and birds and by 8:00 I was behind schedule and had to reconsider my route.

I dropped down out of the park to a rural road. I was cruising along in a sparsely settled area enjoying the walk, but mildly anxious that I would be late for the meeting. I was passing a house with a trailer and a bunch of sheds in the yard when a whole bunch of little dogs came running out of the driveway barking like crazy. There were six or seven of them, and all less than one foot tall. I was not the least concerned about them. I was focused on moving along at a good pace. A group of three or four of the dogs ran around me and in front, where they turned and snarling and barking they stopped. I slowed down in wonder, when one hit me from behind. It was moving pretty fast and grabbed my calf about halfway up. I instinctively punched it in the head, kicked the others like they were footballs, and immediately grabbed a stick. I looked down and I was oozing blood from punctures in my leg. I carry a first aid kit, so I dressed it right there.

The door of the house opened, a woman hollered, and the dogs all ran behind the house. I yelled to the woman that I had been bitten by one of her dogs. No response. I marked my map with the location, and noted the numer on the mailbox and took a description of the house.

The wound was not that bad, and this was before the days of cell phones, so I kept walking.

When I got to the meeting one of the park rangers spotted my bloody leg, and before long I was at the Luray ER. A local sheriff took my statement, and then asked if I wanted to have the dog killed. I told him that I would not be able to say which of the pack had bitten me. The doctor said that I was getting rabies shots no matter what. The park ranger said that he did not want trouble with the neighbors. I said no to killing the dog.

Later, a health department inspector said that the family in question did not immunize their children, so the dogs should be considered unimmunized.

The sheriff told be that the behavior that I described is the way dogs are trained to hunt raccoons.

The shots were not too bad. The worst part was that there was a little girl in the room with a fever, and she was intently watching me as they inserted the needles around the wounds to inject the medicine. I had to look casually uncomfortable so as not to upset the girl.

I do not really fear dogs. I am less trusting of strange dogs since the incident. I have been charged by large dogs while walking rural streets. As another person noted, meeting their charge with a stout stick and a yell usually turns them around. I will under no circumstances allow a dog to approach me from behind. If I have my young son with me I give no quarter to any dog.

Marta
01-31-2006, 19:38
The worst part was that there was a little girl in the room with a fever, and she was intently watching me as they inserted the needles around the wounds to inject the medicine. I had to look casually uncomfortable so as not to upset the girl.

I do not really fear dogs. I am less trusting of strange dogs since the incident.

I've never been bitten while hiking but I was bitten by a dog who "had never done that before." His brain was under observation at the vet's before I even got done at the emergency room--the owners were afraid I'd sue, and had the dog put down without consulting me.

I used to do a lot of cycling, and twice other people cycling with me were bitten by dogs. The owners were uniformly belligerent and unapologetic. One dog was a little ball of fluff. The other was not, so a large, male friend cycled down the same road a day or so later with a baseball bat and, when the dog attacked him, he put the dog away for good. I always carried pepper spray, which I used on quite a few Dobermans (Dobermen?) and German shepherds.

I had always owned dogs and had never understood why people were afraid of them, until that one turned on me. Now I never quite trust a dog too big for me to kick to the ground if it leaps at me. No, I did not provoke the dog which attacked me; it was sleeping on the floor of an arena in a horse barn; I was walking nearby and it woke up, lunged at me, and bit me, then sat down with a puzzled, "Now why did I do that?" look on its face. The owners speculated that the dog had been knocked off kilter by a large, public event they had hosted a few days earlier. Between the public event and the attack on me, the dog had killed several of the barn's cats. The dog was a German shepherd/wolf cross, large, beautiful, and possessing excellent, strong teeth. I've got a nice scar on my arm.

Hambone, your story about the little girl reminded of the worst part of my dogbite adventure. I was sitting around in the treatment room at the hospital, letting a gallon of saline solution flush through the bite when the doors opened and a silent, still, blond boy, about 10 years old was wheeled in on a stretcher. He had collapsed at home for no apparent reason and was in a coma. They wheeled him into the room while waiting for the helicopter to take him to the hospital in Louisville. He was about the age and size and coloration of one of my sons. As as I sat there with my arm immobilized, I could hear his mother weeping outside the door. The helicopter arrived and they wheeled him away. I often wonder whatever happened to him.

Ridge
01-31-2006, 19:44
I've never been bitten while hiking but I was bitten by a dog who "had never done that before." His brain was under observation at the vet's before I even got done at the emergency room--the owners were afraid I'd sue, and had the dog put down without consulting me......

The dogs owner must not have been hikers. Hikers with dogs would have wanted to have you put down before their precious mutt. Because, it was your fault, their dog "has never done that before".

Nean
01-31-2006, 19:47
This was in 89 as well, on a WB roadwalk in Pa, which was reloed long ago. I believe it was near the Blueblaze hostel for those of you who recall that. A few dogs came up and were barking. I shooed them away w/o a thought and continued. Thats when the smallest one came from behind and puntured my calf. I chased that little guy all over w/ unpleasant thoughts in my head, but he got away. It was then that I decided never turn your back on a barking dog. You must learn the language of dogs if you insist on hiking a trail that has lots of them. Let them know you are the alpha dog if they show any aggression. I'd be more concerned w/ the two leg dogs. For me, I like 99% of the dogs I meet on the trail, and 98% of the people!:)

khaynie
01-31-2006, 19:54
When we passed through the Shaw's last June, Kathadin, Keith Jr.'s new dog, was a riot. Kathadin wasn't violent or agressive, he just liked to bark, slobber, and lick all over you. Keith Jr., however, seemed to have a rather tight handle on him though - on several occasions he would say in a deep voice, "Katahdin - get over here." I can still hear him say it in my head; gives me a chucke.

All that to say, is that if you have a dog on the trail or elsewhere, you be it's (responsible) master and things should be fine. When a dog gets out of line - you have to put it down like Keith, Jr did Busta.

Skidsteer
01-31-2006, 19:58
For me, I like 99% of the dogs I meet on the trail, and 98% of the people!:)

My experience as well. Although I'm much more assertive expressing my displeasure to an unruly dog than to an unruly human. Have to work on that. :D

Jack Tarlin
01-31-2006, 19:58
Nean, you just reminded me of another one.....back a few years ago, a few miles after Rte. 19E and before you got to Dennis Cove, the old Trail used to take you on this lengthy roadwalk where EVERYONE on the street seemed to own the dog from hell or one of his immediate relations I have distinct memories of this bohemoth Rotweiler that would have happily torn my head off if he hadn't been chained to this pole that was hopefully imbedded in cement. Every year, I usedta dread going by this bastard dog. And on another ocasion, I was chased and nipped at by seven deranged beagles on the same street.

When Bob Peoples and the Tennessee Eastman club re-routed this section and took it off the road, it was cause for great celebration. Dog Hell Avenue (or whatever its name was) is still there, but happily I haven't had to walk it in awhile.

Nean
01-31-2006, 20:32
Ahh yes, fond memories of Dog Hell Ave. It may of been 96 that several hikers were ambushed by a couple of large black dogs within a minute of turning back into the woods. I scared the hell out of those dogs, no need to hurt them, even though "they had always done that before";)

SteveJ
01-31-2006, 20:48
The dogs owner must not have been hikers. Hikers with dogs would have wanted to have you put down before their precious mutt. Because, it was your fault, their dog "has never done that before".

Yeah, Ridge, right. Very logical response. Your intellect and the logic of your discussion on this issue is really amazing. If you were family, I'd say, "be nice" but you're not - think it would be a waste of breath anyway. I know we're both in GA. Maybe we'll meet on the trail one day and I'll introduce you to my pup. She'll put a smile on your face! :D

Ramble~On
01-31-2006, 20:52
Dog threads and Gun threads......they'll never end.

As a peace loving...solitude searching, outdoor loving, tree-hugging kind of guy I will not comment on this thread except to say that the next damn unleashed, barking, growling dog that invades my personal space, attempts to bite me or otherwise detracts from my peace loving, solitude searching outdoor experience shall be shot until such a time as said dog is no longer
deemed to be Above mentioned threat to my person.
:D HAVE A NICE DAY.

:banana Now...please let the comments flow.

Nean
01-31-2006, 21:29
I think a few fun loving folks should get together and do some hiking:clap Happiness just radiates out of some folks.:sun Why hike w/ a dog when you got all these wonderful people to hike with?;)

Ridge
01-31-2006, 21:36
Yeah, Ridge, right. Very logical response. Your intellect and the logic of your discussion on this issue is really amazing. If you were family, I'd say, "be nice" but you're not - think it would be a waste of breath anyway. I know we're both in GA. Maybe we'll meet on the trail one day and I'll introduce you to my pup. She'll put a smile on your face! :D

Maybe your dog is a contributor to the demise of the Chattahoochee River National Recreation Area near Atlanta.

http://www.usatoday.com/news/science/2002-06-07-dog-usat.htm

"............ dogs generate disease-causing bacteria that can make people sick. Studies done in the last few years put dogs third or fourth on the list of contributors to bacteria in contaminated waters. "Dogs are one of our usual suspects," says Valerie Harwood, a microbiologist at the University of South Florida. "At certain sites, we find their effect to be significant."
It doesn't take a Ph.D. to figure out that dog do is nasty. But it took science to determine how nasty it is.
From mutt to blue-blooded champion, all dogs harbor so-called coliform bacteria, which live in the gut. The group includes E. coli, a bacterium that can cause disease, and fecal coliform bacteria, which spread through feces. Dogs also carry salmonella and giardia. Environmental officials use measurements of some of these bacteria as barometers of how much fecal matter has contaminated a body of water........"

"Chattahoochee River National Recreation Area near Atlanta. Bacteria levels in the river exceed standards so often that a Web site tells would-be boaters and swimmers whether the river is safe on any given day. To help clean it up, park officials recently started giving tickets to visitors who have dogs but no doggie bags. "

"A survey by the Center for Watershed Protection in 1999 found that of the 41% of respondents who rarely or never clean up after their dogs, 44% would refuse to do so in the face of fines and neighbors' complaints. Reasons included, "because it eventually goes away," "small dog, small waste," and "just because."

Hikerhead
01-31-2006, 21:49
Nean, you just reminded me of another one.....back a few years ago, a few miles after Rte. 19E and before you got to Dennis Cove, the old Trail used to take you on this lengthy roadwalk where EVERYONE on the street seemed to own the dog from hell or one of his immediate relations I have distinct memories of this bohemoth Rotweiler that would have happily torn my head off if he hadn't been chained to this pole that was hopefully imbedded in cement. Every year, I usedta dread going by this bastard dog. And on another ocasion, I was chased and nipped at by seven deranged beagles on the same street.

When Bob Peoples and the Tennessee Eastman club re-routed this section and took it off the road, it was cause for great celebration. Dog Hell Avenue (or whatever its name was) is still there, but happily I haven't had to walk it in awhile.

That's interesting.....a couple of months ago I hiked from Dennis Cove to Carvers Gap with Pole CLimber and his buddy John. They had to get off at the first road crossing because John got sick. So they left and started hiking down the gravel road to get to 19E and hitch back to their car. As soon as they went out of site around a bend in the road, I heard about 5 dogs barking like crazy. I just knew they were going to have a bad time. But, the owner of the dogs came to the front door and ended up driving them back to their car. A happy ending.

general
01-31-2006, 21:53
[quote=Ridge]Maybe your dog is a contributor to the demise of the Chattahoochee River National Recreation Area near Atlanta.

http://www.usatoday.com/news/science/2002-06-07-dog-usat.htm

"............ dogs generate disease-causing bacteria that can make people sick. Studies done in the last few years put dogs third or fourth on the list of contributors to bacteria in contaminated waters. "Dogs are one of our usual suspects," says Valerie Harwood, a microbiologist at the University of South Florida. "At certain sites, we find their effect to be significant."
It doesn't take a Ph.D. to figure out that dog do is nasty. But it took science to determine how nasty it is.
From mutt to blue-blooded champion, all dogs harbor so-called coliform bacteria, which live in the gut. The group includes E. coli, a bacterium that can cause disease, and fecal coliform bacteria, which spread through feces. Dogs also carry salmonella and giardia. Environmental officials use measurements of some of these bacteria as barometers of how much fecal matter has contaminated a body of water........"

"Chattahoochee River National Recreation Area near Atlanta. Bacteria levels in the river exceed standards so often that a Web site tells would-be boaters and swimmers whether the river is safe on any given day. To help clean it up, park officials recently started giving tickets to visitors who have dogs but no doggie bags. "

"A survey by the Center for Watershed Protection in 1999 found that of the 41% of respondents who rarely or never clean up after their dogs, 44% would refuse to do so in the face of fines and neighbors' complaints. Reasons included, "because it eventually goes away," "small dog, small waste," and "just because."[/quo

or maybe it is the thousands of tons of human waste that is pumped into the river by the city of Atlanta, and surrounding areas. get f***in real.
if you really believe that dogs cause the crap problem in a river in a major city, your dumber than f***in dirt. i live on the hooch.please debate me on this. oh, please, please, please.

Ridge
01-31-2006, 21:57
or maybe it is the thousands of tons of human waste that is pumped into the river by the city of Atlanta, and surrounding areas. get f***in real.
if you really believe that dogs cause the crap problem in a river in a major city, your dumber than f***in dirt. i live on the hooch.please debate me on this. oh, please, please, please.

Haven't you heard, toilets that really flush are now available. Just read the article: http://www.usatoday.com/news/science/2002-06-07-dog-usat.htm

Mags
01-31-2006, 22:48
Dog Hell Avenue (or whatever its name was) is still there, but happily I haven't had to walk it in awhile.

We called it the "DMZ" that year. Cripe...must be an old timer now. :o I stayed at the Blue Blaze Hostel, did the DMZ and remember when the Inn at Long Trail actually on ON the LT/AT. :-)

It was only eight years ago...but that's a long time in "AT time" I guess!

general
01-31-2006, 23:28
Haven't you heard, toilets that really flush are now available. Just read the article: http://www.usatoday.com/news/science/2002-06-07-dog-usat.htm

your an a hole. there now it's in print. do you believe it now? what do you think happens to that s**t after you push the little handle? does it disappear in a cloud of monkey dust? nope. down the pipe to the treatment plant and then regurgitated back into the same water that folks in atlanta and others downriver drink.

419,000 and some change, that's the human population of atlanta. average family is 4 folks. average # of dogs per household 1. i would assume that not all of these folks walk their dog on a path by the river but just for arguement's sake, lets say that they do. that's four times more human s**t than dog s**t. yes the sewer water is treated and cleaned but not well enough. www.chattahoochee.org/issues3.htm (http://www.chattahoochee.org/issues3.htm) oh, and lets not forget the flooding problems especially around the vinings community, which is on a tributary of the chattahoochee. that dookie that comes straight from the sewer when it overflows sure as hell ain't treated, and i only know of one dog that can piss or s**t in the toilet (more like on or near the toilet, so it doesn't really count). www.chattahoochee.org/issues2.htm (http://www.chattahoochee.org/issues2.htm) . www.chattahoochee.org/issues5.htm (http://www.chattahoochee.org/issues5.htm) . and lets not forget about pollution from industry near the river which are policed by none other than themselves. www.chattahoochee.org/issues4.htm (http://www.chattahoochee.org/issues4.htm) . all of these things are legit reasons that the water in the hooch is crap. all of these things are contributors to high levels of bacteria in atlanta's drinking water. the upper chattahoochee river keeper studies and tests the water, is the main lobbyist for funds for the river, and is considered the expert organization on such matters. but what the ****** do they know. Ted Turner's daughter runs the organization, so i'm pretty sure their funding is up to par. being an enviromental group, most of those folks probably have dogs though, so they are probably biased. and as for parvo, i would say that most trail folks are probably animal lovers, except you and minnesotasmith, so that would mean that their dog goes to the vet once a year for a little shot that eliminates that disease. read what you post. does it really make sense? if so then you got some problems, and may need to seek some help. all that fear, if left untreated, and you may not be able to leave the house in a couple of years. on second thought don't seek treatment, just stay at home.

SteveJ
02-01-2006, 00:52
Maybe your dog is a contributor to the demise of the Chattahoochee River National Recreation Area near Atlanta.

once again, Ridge, you prove your ignorance of debate skills and ability to generalize in a way that isn't applicable. my dog has never hiked on the Chattahoochee. I assure you that the major source of bacteria in the hooch isn't dogs - but the over 4M people that live in the Atlanta area.

Ridge, have you ever looked up the definition of 'troll'?

http://www.catb.org/~esr/jargon/html/T/troll.html

I think the 2nd definition is especially applicable to you:

2. n. An individual who chronically trolls in sense 1; regularly posts specious arguments, flames or personal attacks to a newsgroup, discussion list, or in email for no other purpose than to annoy someone or disrupt a discussion. Trolls are recognizable by the fact that they have no real interest in learning about the topic at hand - they simply want to utter flame bait. Like the ugly creatures they are named after, they exhibit no redeeming characteristics, and as such, they are recognized as a lower form of life on the net, as in, “Oh, ignore him, he's just a troll.”

I think you qualify! I'll bet others agree! I'm done with this thread - you're on my ignore list.

Tommy
02-01-2006, 01:37
As someone who has owned a dog and been bitten and harassed by dogs(not bitten by my own), I have to say the most frustrating thing when dealing with dog owners is their defensivness. There isn't a hiker with a dog out there who would admit to their dog's bad behavior, and yet suprise here I am along with others who have the bites and scars to prove that these ill-mannered dogs exist.

Regardless as long as it remains legal to have dogs on the trail they will exist there (some continue to exist even where it is not legal), which makes this whole thread pointless other than to rile up the Hatfields and McCoys.

Ridge
02-01-2006, 09:35
Just read the scientific article about how nasty dogs crap is. The absolute denial of owners, pointed out, is the typical attitude you see on the trail and here on WB. You'll hear remarks like, "thats the first time hes ever bit anyone" or "its never done that before". I have 2 dogs and neither will ever see a white blaze. Laws are slowly coming about that will help stop alot of this stuff. GSMNP and Baxter SP already, thank goodness, have laws and up to $500 fines for carrying dogs on the AT and Backcountry trails. It's only a matter of time and the dogs will be treated just like a bike or motorcycle on the trail. Yea, I know what you dog hikers are thinking "never in hell", will they did it in the Smokys!

Two Speed
02-01-2006, 09:44
. . . Regardless as long as it remains legal to have dogs on the trail they will exist there (some continue to exist even where it is not legal), which makes this whole thread pointless other than to rile up the Hatfields and McCoys.Amen, brother. Kind of like beating your heads against the opposite side of the same brick wall just to see if you can bruise your own forehead. What a waste of electrons.

Moxie00
02-01-2006, 09:44
no-extra words

Moxie00
02-01-2006, 09:45
no-extra words are just to make my

Moxie00
02-01-2006, 09:45
no-extra words are just to make my NO long enough

Moxie00
02-01-2006, 09:47
NO

(there are alot of dogs I've wanted to bite though)

Moxie00
02-01-2006, 10:03
I apologize for the repeated posts but here is one more to explain my actions. I wanted to just answer NO but the forum would not accept a two letter answer.Every time I drafted a change it posted by itself every time I stopped typing for a few seconds. I don't know what happened or why.