PDA

View Full Version : Any issues Dicks Creek to Standing Indian?

REB
06-20-2017, 09:43
Getting ready to section hike next week and want to make sure there are no surprises (water source ok, rerouted, etc.)

Uncle Joe
06-20-2017, 12:40
None that I'm aware of. As much rain as we've gotten this year water should not be an issue.

daddytwosticks
06-20-2017, 14:05
I believe parts of the trail have experienced the effects of the wildfires from last fall. There was definitely fire damage around the Deep Gap (NC)/Standing Indian area when I went thru in late May. :)

FreeGoldRush
06-20-2017, 15:04
Last week I hiked this as part of a 135 mile section south of the dam. Elevation changes here are obviously tough but you can knock it out in one day if you want. Just after crossing the GA/NC border it is particularly steep. The fire damage in GA North of Plum Orchard Gap is mild compared to the fire damage north of Wesser. Water is available. I never carried more than a liter. Obviously it is best to get it at stream crossing right on the trail so you don't have to go down a blue blaze. Plan ahead.

But.... this was not a particularly memorable section. Standing Indian on to the NOC was more interesting in my opinion.

miley
06-22-2017, 23:14
Hiked Dicks Creek to Deep Gap this past weekend, Saturday afternoon to Sunday morning. Dicks Creek to Bly Gap was pretty uneventful. Lots of fire damage coming down to Blue Ridge Gap. Biting flies were out in force in Bly Gap. Bly Gap out was great.
Plenty of water sources along trail.