PDA

View Full Version : Tarptent Bowfin

Squirrel!
06-20-2017, 12:39
The recent SectionHiker review peeked my interest in the Bowfin tent. There seems to be limited reviews on it due to being new. Does anyone here have experience/opinions/thoughts on it? I already have a Nemo Hornet 2P that I haven't used yet, but the Bowfin description is giving me tent lust.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BuckeyeBill
06-20-2017, 15:50
Since you ask for opinions and/or thoughts, it seems like you are looking for extra space in the interior. I compared it to the Notch and found that they pretty much are equal but the Bowfin splits its vestibule space with the interior. The Notch's vestibule area is all outside the interior mesh, but both offer the same amount of space. The Notch is longer at 108" compared to 92" for the Bowfin. The Notch is also taller Ext. 45" & Int. 43" vs. Ext. 42" & Int. 40". The Notch packs smaller 16"x3.5" vs 18"x4". The notch is also lighter 27oz vs 37oz. Finally the Notch is cheaper $285 vs $309. The Notch does require trekking poles or two straight sticks 45" long.

Having said that, you can rest easy knowing that what ever you decide to get, if it's a Tarptent, you will be satisfied with the quality. Henry does not produce low quality merchandise.

Squirrel!
06-20-2017, 20:47
Since you ask for opinions and/or thoughts, it seems like you are looking for extra space in the interior. I compared it to the Notch and found that they pretty much are equal but the Bowfin splits its vestibule space with the interior. The Notch's vestibule area is all outside the interior mesh, but both offer the same amount of space. The Notch is longer at 108" compared to 92" for the Bowfin. The Notch is also taller Ext. 45" & Int. 43" vs. Ext. 42" & Int. 40". The Notch packs smaller 16"x3.5" vs 18"x4". The notch is also lighter 27oz vs 37oz. Finally the Notch is cheaper $285 vs $309. The Notch does require trekking poles or two straight sticks 45" long.

Having said that, you can rest easy knowing that what ever you decide to get, if it's a Tarptent, you will be satisfied with the quality. Henry does not produce low quality merchandise.

I love the ability to set it up as one piece. This is golden especially when it's raining. The flexibility to switch out the inner tent for more or less ventilators nice. A bonus is the ability to make the vestibules bigger or smaller for storage or cooking when it's raining and he venting at the feet.

I'm considering selling my brand new unused hornet 2p to buy this tent.

Venchka
06-20-2017, 20:51
The Bowfin 1 isn't alone in setting up with fly and body connected. All of the TarpTent double wall tents are configured this way.
Wayne

Sojourner74
06-20-2017, 21:15
For what it's worth, I have the Hornet 2P. It's an excellent tent.

capehiker
06-20-2017, 23:28
I have the Hornet 2P and also own 2 Tarptent shelters. I liked the Hornet 2P until the 4th straight day or rain when there was no ability to set up in the rain without the inner getting wet, or when the head of the tent is essentially a single wall and the tent wets through or condensation roles down the walls.

In short, after a year of using the Hornet, I'm selling it for a Bowfin.

Squirrel!
06-21-2017, 05:18
I have the Hornet 2P and also own 2 Tarptent shelters. I liked the Hornet 2P until the 4th straight day or rain when there was no ability to set up in the rain without the inner getting wet, or when the head of the tent is essentially a single wall and the tent wets through or condensation roles down the walls.

In short, after a year of using the Hornet, I'm selling it for a Bowfin.

That is the feedback I was looking for. I doubt I'll regret getting a tarptent either way. Thank you.

martinb
06-21-2017, 11:27
Looking at the bowfin and wind is going to be a problem. I would be sure to foot/head into the wind.

Squirrel!
06-21-2017, 11:32
Looking at the bowfin and wind is going to be a problem. I would be sure to foot/head into the wind.

I would definitely pack enough stakes and guy lines to fully secure it if it looked the least bit windy, especially with only two stakes needed as a bare minimum. I can't imagine that it is dramatically less wind resistant than the hornet when the vestibules are closed.

SwathHiker
10-16-2017, 19:19
Henry Spires designed this tent and discusses it on backpacking light. Calls it very wind resistant/good storm tent. It has end poles to keep it freestanding along with a center arch pole. Great tent.

SwathHiker
10-16-2017, 19:20
Henry Spires designed this tent and discusses it on backpacking light. Calls it very wind resistant/good storm tent. It has end poles to keep it freestanding along with a center arch pole. Great tent.

Henry Shires. my phone autocorrected.