PDA

View Full Version : New job dashes plans for thru-hike.

Indigo Hawk
06-20-2017, 16:18
I have a new job prospect that basically trashes my plans for next year. I'm really upset about this. The wife and I really need the money, however.

I could do sections but that doesn't have the same appeal to me. Should I just take it as a chance to get better gear and more experience?

tflaris
06-20-2017, 16:20
Never turn down an opportunity. The trail isn't going anywhere.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Indigo Hawk
06-20-2017, 16:25
That was honestly the most comforting words I've heard. Thank you.

Slo-go'en
06-20-2017, 16:29
How do you know if a thru hike will appeal to you? Many of those who try find out it doesn't. Having a couple of long sections under your belt would go a long way in ensuring a successful thru hike later on - or make you decide not to.

soumodeler
06-20-2017, 16:30
Life comes first, then vacations.

I feel your pain though. I tried to thru in 2015 and ended up in the hospital, ending my hike. I had pretty much decided to try again in this year when out of the blue I got a job offer that I couldn't turn down due to the location and benefits. I now get to hike way more on weekends and get 3+ weeks vacation every year to hike, but another thru is out of the question until I retire.

If the job is what you really want (or need), take it. Section hiking to me is just as fun, with way more advantages over thru hiking.

Don H
06-20-2017, 16:32
I did it after I retired. While waiting I did sections whenever I had a week off, it was good experience.
You do realize that 75% of thru-hikers never finish?

rocketsocks
06-20-2017, 18:07
You'll have that! I'd take the job.

Heliotrope
06-20-2017, 22:16
How do you know if a thru hike will appeal to you? Many of those who try find out it doesn't. Having a couple of long sections under your belt would go a long way in ensuring a successful thru hike later on - or make you decide not to.

I like this way of looking at it.

Deadeye
06-20-2017, 22:44
Never turn down an opportunity. The trail isn't going anywhere.

Here's the flip side - although the trail isn't going anywhere, you may never have another opportunity to hike it. Hiking the trail may change the career choices you make. Are you going to work 40 years and hope to be in good enough shape to hike it in 2057? Are you going to work 40 years and die before you hike?

MuddyWaters
06-20-2017, 22:54
How bad does you need the money that 6 mo makes a life altering difference?

Are one of you going to die without an expensive operation?

Opportunities are like heartbeats
When they are gone
They are gone

Sarcasm the elf
06-20-2017, 23:16
I have a new job prospect that basically trashes my plans for next year. I'm really upset about this. The wife and I really need the money, however.

I could do sections but that doesn't have the same appeal to me. Should I just take it as a chance to get better gear and more experience?
I was in a very similar situation. I was geared up for 2010 thru hike before the full effects of the great recession destroyed that possibility by putting my mortgage far under water. Instead I kept working at a relatively good job and despite this very major financial setback focused on saving while avidly section hiking. Fast forward to today and I now have a very respectable amount in my 401K, a comfortable amount in savings (which is nice since I got laid off a couple months ago), and an awesome wife and family. I have still been able to get over 150 or so bag nights between backpacking and car camping, have hiked over 600 miles of the A.T. (completed 400 unique miles and have rehiked the sections in my area multiple times). In addition I regularly hike local trails and tried some crazier things like attempting a winter Presidential Traverse, in NH and followed Another Kevin on a 3 day totally off trail bushwhack in the Catskills.

Frankly it's been great and the more I section hike the less I feel the urge to accomplish a full thru. I get to pick when and where I want to hike, I get to go out for lengths of time that minimize repetitive motion injuries like shin splints or stress fractures, I don't get major home sickness, and (until this year) I got to maintain gainful employment and all the benefits that entails. I have also begun to focus on the possibility of early retirement, become a fan of the reduced consumption/pro savings mentality espoused by sites such as Mr. Money Mustache (http://www.mrmoneymustache.com/2012/01/13/the-shockingly-simple-math-behind-early-retirement/) and hope to retire in my fifties to have some fun comfortably and without the financial instability.

Additionally, while I don't want to disparage thru hiking, it comes with a lot of negatives in addition to its merits. I usually hike for about a week each year during the bubble in New England (at our past the 1500 mile mark) and only about two thirds of the hikers appear to actually be having a good time, the other third seem to be in various degrees of a goal driven mentality. While 25 year old me probably would have loved to do a full thru hike, I'm at a point in my life where the drawbacks exceed the perceived rewards. I've come to realize that if I tried to thru hike I would very likely be in that one third that stops stops having fun but continues anyway, so I'm quite happy to continue doing what I'm doing. :sun

cliffordbarnabus
06-21-2017, 00:06
the AT will always be there.

also, jobs will always be available.

it's a matter of priority. and that's a personal matter!

illabelle
06-21-2017, 06:01
Lots of good advice above! Especially liked what Sarcasm said.
Weeklong and weekend section hiking fits into my life. A thru-hike would tear my life apart (job, animals, family, etc). Plus I can enjoy being out in places and at times that I choose. It costs a bit to get to the far parts of the trail, but the costs are spread over time.

peakbagger
06-21-2017, 06:23
I had been doing section hikes and then my employer went bankrupt so I had the opportunity to do a much longer hike. After 5 weeks I came to the conclusion I liked section hiking. Yes it does cost money out of pocket for traveling but nothing compared to going without a job and paying for medical insurance for 5 months. I also got to do a lot of sections away from the bubble, hard to beat September and October backpacking. I also long ago decided to live where everyone else likes to vacation, I can walk from my house and climb the northern presidentials.

The best advice is figure out a way to live below your earnings. Get to the point where losing a job is inconvenience as you money in the bank and don't have loans. Eventually you get to the point where you don't have to work.

tflaris
06-21-2017, 11:12

There's a lot of truth to this. We just completed Davenport Gap to Damascus, VA and I was surprised at the following:

1. Hiking becomes a job
2. Setup/breakdown of camp becomes a job
3. Getting water becomes a job
4. Resupplies become a job
5. Taking care of your feet/legs become a job
6. Staying mentally focused becomes a job
7. Dealing with the environment/weather becomes a job
8. Dealing with boredom/loneliness becomes a job
9. Isolation from friends and family becomes a job.
10. Juggling finances/spending on the trail becomes s job.
11. Like any job it can be fun, enjoyable and rewarding. But like any job you can lose focus along the way and become disenfranchised.

I don't believe you escape from anything on the trail. You simply trade responsibilities.

I doubt any of this was helpful. Sry.

BuckeyeBill
06-21-2017, 11:29
Situations like this are similar to buying gear, you have to do what is best for you and your family. Asking for advice is great and this thread has offered both sides of the coin. You need to sit back, take a deep breath and see what your wife has to contribute.

It is true that the trail will be there waiting you when you are ready. It is also true that there are jobs out there waiting for you. I know several people that the trail changed them completely. After carrying everything on their back for 6 months, they simplified their lives, their jobs and their way of thinking. I started out weekend hiking then moved to California for a job which I thoroughly enjoyed. After several years, I decided a changed was in order and did my first thru-hike on the PCT. That experience changed me.

Good Luck in what ever you and your wife choose. HYOH, LYOL

Indigo Hawk
06-21-2017, 11:40
I appreciate everyone's input. It really means a lot to me. My prospective job pays decently and has health coverage we really need right now. Plus, we'd like to move to a new home/apartment (don't live with the in-laws, folks. It's a trap). We moved back here from Ohio and it's been rough.

With all that, I've decided to take the job. It gives me more money to buy the gear I want and an opportunity to get experience doing sections and some local trails. Plus, this way, my outdoorsy lady can come with me occasionally.

The other thing with this job is that we're given the opportunity to consider starting a family (outside of the cats). And that is above the trail in priority. I'll always be able to hike in sections; I won't always be able to have a child.

Stone1984
06-21-2017, 15:50
The days my job is fun I don't regret my decision to start my career before my thru. Days my job sucks I wonder what I am thinking. I could be on the trail right now why am I here. I know I made the "Correct" decision as I had people counting on me for income. Now I am awaiting a Leave of Absence from work to hike it. The first opportunity I get I will take now. It has only been 13 years since I wanted to do it originally. I spent 12 of those year putting my life together, starting over again 3 years ago. And now I am ready. We each have our own obstacles we have to face. Just do the best thing for you.

Bronk
06-22-2017, 10:52
You'll know when the time is right, let the chips fall where they may.

capehiker
06-22-2017, 11:14
Take the job. Section hike. Win at life.

evyck da fleet
06-22-2017, 19:22
Another vote for taking the job. The AT is there for you to section or thru in the future. The opportunity will present itself again but thru hiking may never take priority over what else you have going on with your life.

Indigo Hawk
06-29-2017, 16:02
I start my training in July. This job has summers off so section hiking for the win.

Honestly, taking this job has been a huge relief. Thank you again, everyone.

GoldenBear
06-29-2017, 17:33
Take that great job.
Save. Save. Save.
Invest. Invest. Invest.
Maintain a healthy lifestyle so you don't die or become disabled prematurely.
Keep in shape with hiking and exercise.
Then retire in your 50s. It can be done. It isn't easy, but it's do-able for most people with an average salary.
Do a thru-hike -- or a series of sections hikes -- AFTER you have plenty of money, AND have plenty of time & health.

This is a decision I made over twenty years ago, and I've never regretted it.

gbolt
06-29-2017, 20:08
There's a lot of truth to this. We just completed Davenport Gap to Damascus, VA and I was surprised at the following:

1. Hiking becomes a job
2. Setup/breakdown of camp becomes a job
3. Getting water becomes a job
4. Resupplies become a job
5. Taking care of your feet/legs become a job
6. Staying mentally focused becomes a job
7. Dealing with the environment/weather becomes a job
8. Dealing with boredom/loneliness becomes a job
9. Isolation from friends and family becomes a job.
10. Juggling finances/spending on the trail becomes s job.
11. Like any job it can be fun, enjoyable and rewarding. But like any job you can lose focus along the way and become disenfranchised.

I don't believe you escape from anything on the trail. You simply trade responsibilities.

I doubt any of this was helpful. Sry.

Maybe not helpful for him... But I loved it! I am losing my job (Retirement) so this is the exact job I want!

PS. I would not have gotten to retirement with as much joy if it weren't for the "Dream" of hiking the AT. Keep Dreaming until the time is right to turn the dream into a reality. Spend the time purchasing, testing, updating, trading and finalizing your gear to make the reality come true. That is what I have been doing to keep working. If I never set foot on the AT, the Dream has made life all the better.