PDA

View Full Version : section hike

Bigyeti
06-21-2017, 02:27
How many days you think i need to hike the approach trial all the way to GA/NC border I never hike before buy I walk 15 mile I day for work I and do 8 mile mtb ride every other week is there any chance I can do this in 7 days?

illabelle
06-21-2017, 05:47
Seven days is reasonable for a hike of almost 80 miles.

Stone1984
06-21-2017, 06:27
Were going a little further than the border in september. Also doing the approach trail. Were allowing 10-12 days to hike so it will be enjoyable.

JC13
06-21-2017, 08:33
How are you getting off the trail after you hit the border?

Venchka
06-21-2017, 08:41
How are you getting off the trail after you hit the border?

Continue to Franklin, NC. The GA/NC border is remote and not easy to get to.
The AT crosses a US Hwy a few miles from Franklin. Hitch or shuttle in to Franklin. Google Maps can show you how.
Wayne

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JC13
06-21-2017, 10:00
That's what I was getting at. You either go to Franklin or hike back to Dicks Creek Gap. We inquired on the shuttle cost last year and it was $90 and it required hiking to where they could actually get to us.

Stone1984
06-21-2017, 10:47
Im getting my girlfriend to pick us up when we go. She will drop us off at the state park in GA and I will let her know a day or two ahead of time where to pick us up.

Venchka
06-21-2017, 10:54
Im getting my girlfriend to pick us up when we go. She will drop us off at the state park in GA and I will let her know a day or two ahead of time where to pick us up.

Your girlfriend will appreciate an all paved, civilized drive to Franklin, NC.
Wayne

tflaris
06-21-2017, 11:14
Your girlfriend will appreciate an all paved, civilized drive to Franklin, NC.
Wayne

What Wayne Said.

Slo-go'en
06-21-2017, 11:28
If you have 7 full hiking days, then getting to Dickie Creek Gap shouldn't be a problem. It's possible you could make Bly Gap in 6 days and walk back to Dickie Creek gap on day 7, but you'd have to do a couple of pretty long days to do that.

The fact you walk 15 miles a day will help a lot, but lugging a backpack up and down the Georgia hills is a lot more work, especially if your going to do it during the summer heat and humidity.

Going all the way to Franklin would add at least 3 days to the trip. While Standing Indian and Mount Albert are pretty neat, this is a fairly difficult section of trail which you won't have time to do and would be best to save for a latter trip.

soumodeler
06-21-2017, 12:50
Walking 15 miles a day at work is not the same as walking 15 miles on the GA section of the AT. If you have not hiked on the GA section before, and only have 7 days of on trail time, I would recommend stopping at Dicks Creek Gap, especially if you are doing the approach trail. If you have the time, you can go up to Bly Gap at the GA-NC border and come back to be picked up at Dicks Creek Gap. You could even slackpack that last section by leaving your stuff at Top of Georgia Hostel.

Don't forget that the mountains in Georgia can be very hot and humid until late September, and water can be an issue at times, especially the later in the season you get.

Most people underestimate this section and think they can fly through it. Some can. Many cannot or end up injured/miserable.

If you say you have never hiked before, I would urge caution and a slower pace. Post your complete gear list and listen to suggestions on packing lighter. Most new hikers carry WAY too much gear. Lugging all that gear up and down the GA mountains is not fun.

As an example, for a full 7 day hike (meaning little or no travel on day 1 and 7), here is what I would recommend for a novice hiker:

Day 1: Approach Trail to Springer Shelter - 9 miles
Day 2: Springer to Hawk Shelter - 8 miles
Day 3: Hawk to Gooch Shelter - 8 miles
Day 4: Gooch to Lance Creek Tentsites - 7 miles
Day 5: Lance to Bull Gap - 8 miles
Day 6: Bull Gap to Poplar Stamp Gap - 12 miles
Day 7: Poplar Gap to Unicoi Gap - 8 miles

brewcrew1514
06-21-2017, 14:03
You could also get picked up at Standing Indian Campground if you don't want to retrace your steps to Dicks Creek Gap. Hike into NC to Deep Gap and take the Kimsey Creek Trail to the well paved and easy to find campground.

LittleRock
06-21-2017, 14:30
There's a forest service road and parking area at Deep Gap, 7 miles past the GA/NC border. I didn't do the approach trail, but I made it from Springer to Deep Gap in 6 days on my first trip. Definitely doable in 7 days including the approach trail.

MuddyWaters
06-21-2017, 14:49
Easy to do

IF

You arent lugging too much weight
Your footwear doesnt hobble you
Your willng to walk in heat, rain, whatever ma nature tosses at you.

Your knees can handle it

Bigyeti
06-22-2017, 00:18
Thanks guys for the info. My plan is to get to GA/ NC border and hike back to top of georgia hostel and get a ride back to amicalola state park and get my car and drive home. I will start on a Saturday and try to finished by Friday if I can but I have to live the trail Sunday for sure to get back to Chicago on Tuesday. And about my gear am going ultra light.