PDA

View Full Version : Hike Naked Day!

Bear Bag
06-21-2017, 11:24
Happy Summer Solstice everyone!

Anyone ever hike naked to mark the occasion? Any stories? Tales that involve alcohol are especially encouraged!

BuckeyeBill
06-21-2017, 11:35
I admit nothing, I deny everything and I demand proof. :D

RangerZ
06-21-2017, 11:54
Didn't happen unless there are photos. :banana

skater
06-21-2017, 19:50
The world is thankful that in MY case, it didn't happen and there are no pics.

Malto
06-21-2017, 20:29
I don't understand the fascination with hiking naked. BYOB. (bare your own butt)

Venchka
06-21-2017, 21:22
I don't understand the fascination with hiking naked. BYOB. (bare your own butt)

Following the tradition established by Colin Fletcher. Theoretically. He spoke of it in his books. I don't recall if there was any photographic evidence.
Wayne

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DownEaster
06-22-2017, 01:20
It's a thing from FKK (Freikörperkultur), the German naturist movement. They've got quite a network of very well-managed trails for Nacktwanderung (naturist hiking). The big discussion there is between hiking with sandals vs. hiking barefoot (i.e. completely naked).

Sailing_Faith
06-22-2017, 02:07

next sticker idea?

rocketsocks
06-22-2017, 03:35
next sticker idea?the SAS envelopes in the mail

rocketsocks
06-22-2017, 03:39
Happy Summer Solstice everyone!

Anyone ever hike naked to mark the occasion? Any stories? Tales that involve alcohol are especially encouraged!
I came across a group of wood nymphs once

cneill13
06-22-2017, 09:31
Horrible idea. I would guess that only 5% or less of our society looks good without clothes on.

And 75% plus of Americans should never, ever go without clothing.

We are the fat a$$es of the world.

Ethesis
06-22-2017, 10:20
Isn't that the same day as "Feed a tick" day?

Bronk
06-22-2017, 10:28
Much different dynamic in a world where just about everybody you encounter is probably going to have a camera in their pocket. 15 years ago that wasn't the case. One aspect of having a trail name is the ability to remain anonymous. Its harder to do that in a world where everyone has a camera and a cell phone to exchange photos...just giving away your phone number to another hiker compromises that anonymity. Walk naked these days and your photo will follow you up and down the trail for the rest of your hike, and possibly for the rest of your life.

Rain Man
06-22-2017, 11:07
Interesting that you think it's all about and only about "looks." Says a lot about Americans and the fixation on physicality and judging and body-shaming people that way.

Horrible idea. I would guess that only 5% or less of our society looks good without clothes on.

And 75% plus of Americans should never, ever go without clothing.

We are the fat a$$es of the world.

cneill13
06-22-2017, 11:16
Interesting that you think it's all about and only about "looks." Says a lot about Americans and the fixation on physicality and judging and body-shaming people that way.

Yes, if someone is naked, it is 100% all about looks.

I don't care if someone is fat or skinny. It is his/her own decision to make.

Personally, I don't care for the fatties. Just my opinion and it should matter to no one else.

Bronk
06-22-2017, 11:20
Interesting that you think it's all about and only about "looks." Says a lot about Americans and the fixation on physicality and judging and body-shaming people that way.Totally agree. And I think if you asked most nudists they would tell you that there is nothing sexual about what they are doing. They don't do it out of a sense of voyeurism or exhibitionism. They do it for the freedom and comfort of it. They don't do it because they want to see people naked or because they want others to see them naked. And very few people look like models. That's why they are models. I don't know why its any more or less offensive to see someone overweight with clothes or without. People come in all shapes and sizes. What difference does it make if you see a piece of fabric or a person's skin?

nsherry61
06-22-2017, 12:26
. . . What difference does it make if you see a piece of fabric or a person's skin?
Potentially a big difference, because, we are sexual beings, and we respond to sexual stimuli which includes visual shapes and textures. So yes, it does make a difference, to many of us, a big difference. BUT, that doesn't mean we should let our visceral responses rule our actions and behaviors in negative ways. And, it doesn't mean we should outlaw behaviors just because push our comfort limits.

Who doesn't like the look and smell of delicious baked goods, but, that doesn't mean we should outlaw their display, and it doesn't mean it is okay to eat them inappropriately or glutinously whenever we see or smell them.

Be free. Hike naked. Enjoy the experience of meeting naked hikers. If you are uncomfortable with being naked or seeing other naked hikers, plan accordingly to avoid potential unpleasant experiences.

Tipi Walter
06-22-2017, 14:28
Sure, hike naked---other than being put on an offender watch list (gotcha culture), have fun going thru these appendage-removers---As seen on my most recent June 2017 backpacking trip---

This Emasculator was found on the Pine Ridge trail in the Citico wilderness TN.

This wonderful Butt Reamer was found on the Big Stack Gap trail on the Slickrock side.

And who doesn't enjoy an over-trunk session with this Perineum Impaler??? (On the Fodderstack Ridge trail).

PatmanTN
06-22-2017, 14:31
Who doesn't like the look and smell of delicious baked goods, but, that doesn't mean we should outlaw their display, and it doesn't mean it is okay to eat them inappropriately or glutinously whenever we see or smell them.

I know you meant gluttonously but that gives me a horrible mental picture of someone hunched over food with both hands squirting slobbering gluey substances dripping from their fingers. While naked.

middle to middle
06-22-2017, 16:54
In Southern MD. there is a nudist colony or camp. I went by the road with a sign NUDIST COLONY my friend male and i decided to turn in to the road and check it out. We went about 100yards and looked at each other laughed and turned around and left.
Another time on Cape Cod the road guard told me and family this is a free beach. My first thought was financial but everyone was nude. Educational at best. Interesting segregation on the beach co-ed, all male, all female. families.

devoidapop
06-22-2017, 21:16
In my youth I attended some pagan festivals and other gatherings of free people. There was always a lot of nudity and it was never a big deal. I don't think it's suited for public trails, though. I'm probably just old and lame now.

MuddyWaters
06-22-2017, 21:28
Ive rarely seen public nakedness of which I was glad.

Two exceptions

Boats anchored in calanques near Cassis , france.
And mardi gras

Rest of time its the people you most dont wish to see.

Francis Sawyer
06-23-2017, 09:51
Naked hiking should be discouraged. Only a VERY small percentage of people are worth seeing naked . The rest.... once you see it you can't UNsee it.

DownEaster
06-23-2017, 10:48
Naked hiking should be discouraged. Only a VERY small percentage of people are worth seeing naked . The rest.... once you see it you can't UNsee it.
I don't see this as a beauty thing. I'm not looking for beauty on a city sidewalk, either, but you see whatever people are wearing regardless of whether you want to. Naked hiking would be informative, I think. Instead of identifying through-hikers guessing they wear the dirtiest clothes, you'd see at a glance these people with tree-like legs and scrawny upper bodies. Day hikers would be the people with body fat.

Traffic Jam
06-23-2017, 19:16
I disagree. I have no desire to see perfect bodies (of either sex). It is our imperfections that make us interesting...not boring silicone and butt lifts.

Tipi Walter
06-23-2017, 23:13
All insects and birds and reptiles and mammals hike naked.

sfdoc
06-24-2017, 09:14
That's very funny.

Odd Man Out
06-24-2017, 09:43
I was hiking in SNP last year on HND. I was doing a 40 mile section. Since that is 2% of the trail, I hiked 2% naked. My arms were completely naked, past my t shirt sleeves.

BuckeyeBill
06-24-2017, 09:45
I remember many years ago, a woman was charged with public indecency for going topless in public. She actually fought the charges all the way to the United States Supreme Court which found the section of law she was violating was unconstitutional, because it was discriminating against women. They ruled that since men were not charged for going shirtless in public neither could women. Made for some interesting times right after the ruling.

DownEaster
06-24-2017, 16:27
I remember many years ago, a woman was charged with public indecency for going topless in public. She actually fought the charges all the way to the United States Supreme Court which found the section of law she was violating was unconstitutional, because it was discriminating against women.
Can you provide a better citation for this U.S. Supreme Court ruling? Because it sounds very much like the New York Supreme Court decision in 1992. That, of course, only applies to the one state.

BuckeyeBill
06-24-2017, 17:08
I look through my books and see if I can find it.

Rain Man
06-24-2017, 19:52
Can you provide a better citation for this U.S. Supreme Court ruling? Because it sounds very much like the New York Supreme Court decision in 1992. That, of course, only applies to the one state.

Not to mention, in NY the Supreme Court is the trial court, not the actual supreme court, so it applies no where.

NJdreamer
06-24-2017, 21:12
Blackrock Shelter in Shenandoah National Park AT was the sight of a brave thru hiker (male) who celebrated hike nude day. Hopefully for his sake, he only did it briefly while coming down the trail into the shelter.

Francis Sawyer
06-25-2017, 13:01
Which is more offensive? A topless flat-chested woman or a shirtless obese man with 34-c moobs ?

devoidapop
06-25-2017, 13:47
Which is more offensive? A topless flat-chested woman or a shirtless obese man with 34-c moobs ?

The person asking that question

BuckeyeBill
06-25-2017, 14:21

Just to let you, I am still looking. I found several states and cities that allow it. Some were because of appeal court rulings, others are limited to cities only.

DownEaster
06-25-2017, 14:32
There's a graphic summary of topless legal status here (http://gotopless.org/topless-laws).

BuckeyeBill
06-25-2017, 14:44
There are 31 states/cities that let women fly free here (https://www.bustle.com/articles/145492-31-states-where-women-can-go-topless-because-its-time-to-knock-down-those-double-standards).

swisscross
06-25-2017, 17:14
There are 31 states/cities that let women fly free here (https://www.bustle.com/articles/145492-31-states-where-women-can-go-topless-because-its-time-to-knock-down-those-double-standards).

Actually 30

swisscross
06-25-2017, 17:15
Actually 30

Oops did not see /cities.

MtDoraDave
07-03-2017, 16:15
I started my last section hike a few days after HND, and one of the girls I ran into while hiking told me about her experience with HND. She's in her late 20's, but from a distance, could look underage; she is a marathon runner, child-like in how thin she is. The naked guy saw her, ran and hid.

My issue with HND is that there are kids on the trail. I don't think everybody is aware of HND, and I don't think it's cool to expose (pun intended) kids to it... hell, if people can be put on the sexual offender list for peeing outdoors, is it really wise to hike naked on a public trail?