PDA

View Full Version : Steel Toed Hiking Boots

DanicaShardae201
06-21-2017, 13:08
Hey folks,

Yeah I know the request for steel toed hiking boots is a bit weird, but hear me out.
I like to hike in trail runners but when the weather turns cold or wet, I get out my old pair of waterproof boots from high school that really need to be replaced.
Jump to now, I just got a job that requires I have steel-toe boots, or at least boots with toe protection. My budget can't justify getting new boots just for hiking, but I can justify spending a bit extra for boots I can use both at the work site and on the trail. Do you all have recommendations for boots that may serve my needs? Online reviews don't really go over this stuff and I don't necessarily trust what companies market as "steel toe hiking boots" without backup confirmation.
Bonus points: I have flat feet. =(

oh, and budget is $100-$150. I may be able to stretch that if the boots are really worth it, but that's gonna be difficult.

thanks

LongBlaze2019
06-21-2017, 13:33
Rocky Brands make some good lightweight composite toe boots that may do the job.
I hike in Rockys but dont really have any need for steel/composite toe boots so cant give you much more than that.

Chasing the sun,
Turtle

MuddyWaters
06-21-2017, 14:13
All my work boots are really heavy.
I wouldnt contemplate hiking in them
I dont even like walking in them at work

Ethesis
06-21-2017, 14:59
Check out the military compliant ISO9000 boots. Those are all steel toed, most are more high top sneakers than boots.

It is a well established niche.

Ethesis
06-21-2017, 15:06
Under Armor makes some and lots of web sites flack review:

for example (without endorsing this website, it just explains the niche well. I don't endorse their recommendations though).

http://solelabz.com/tactical-boots/best-steel-toe-tactical-boots-reviews/

Ethesis
06-21-2017, 15:07
And Nike and Reebok just launched lines too.

RangerZ
06-21-2017, 15:57
"Steel toes" is common usage but there are fiberglass toes that meet the ANSI standard. Should be lighter.

Kaptainkriz
06-21-2017, 17:08
And warmer. I've always found my steel toed shoes to be little freezers when it's cold and wet.

"Steel toes" is common usage but there are fiberglass toes that meet the ANSI standard. Should be lighter.

Mother Natures Son
06-21-2017, 19:01
Would something like this fit the bill? https://www.sportsmansguide.com/product/index/italian-military-surplus-steel-toe-work-boots-new?a=2136130

soilman
06-21-2017, 22:17
Keen makes a steel toe boot called the Detroit that is almost identical to the Voyageur. http://www.keenfootwear.com/p/M-DETROIT-MID.html

Leo L.
06-22-2017, 01:48
I have protective boots (the lightest version of) for occassional on-site work, and for the last few weeks used them for full-day home/farm work.
Now I've developed a pain in the right foot what seems to come from a Plantar Fasciitis.
Those protective boots are hardly suitable for walking around the full day, and hiking is even more than just walking around while doing manual work.
I'd see protective boots used for hiking a gross misuse. It may work for you, but it didn't for me.

Nodust
06-22-2017, 06:29
I wear Red Wing steel toe safety shoes at work. Not uncommon to walk 8 miles a day in them. Very comfortable if you can get away with shoes and not boots. I believe they are composite toes so very light and all leather. Not water proof though. I have a pair of rubber overshoes for rain at work.

MtDoraDave
06-22-2017, 07:16
Keen makes a steel toe boot called the Detroit that is almost identical to the Voyageur. http://www.keenfootwear.com/p/M-DETROIT-MID.html

He beat me to it. The Rural King near me stocks the full line of them. The Detroit looks like the Targhee 2, while the Flint looks like the Voyager. Both can be had in steel toe, I believe.
They even have what look like trail runners with aluminum toes and sneakers with steel toes.

Bronk
06-22-2017, 10:37
I'd wait and find a pair of hiking boots on sale for $80 and a pair of work boots on sale for $80. I've found that my hiking shoes last a lot longer if all I ever do is hike in them. I usually do a couple of hundred miles a year and get several years out of a pair of hiking shoes...but I only put them on if I'm going hiking. I don't wear them to go to the grocery store...I don't wear them to work...I don't wear them to mow the lawn. I put them on when I get in the car to go to the trail and take them off when I get home.

Traveler
06-23-2017, 06:29
I just got a pair of mid top Keen steel toed shoes (Detroit, non-slip water/oil) that have a similar tread pattern to their hiking shoes. I've spent considerable time in trail and broken terrain conditions where they are very stable and aren't as heavy as other footwear I have used before on trails. For me, these are a nice compromise with limited carry-on space to bring a second pair of robust shoes. Just be sure to get them sized properly for your foot, they don't have any give in the toe box. They are a little pricey, but I didn't find much in the lower priced manufacturer steel toed shoes that worked well on various terrain and had a comfortable fit.

Bansko
06-23-2017, 07:23
I spent years wearing various safety toed boots on job sites. I wouldn't consider steel toed boots for hiking, but I had a few pairs of Wolverine composit toed boots that were certainly light enough. Whether the soles were appropriate for hiking is another matter.

peakbagger
06-23-2017, 10:25
I have wide feet and for the years I had to wear steel toes, I usually had to go one size up to get the toe width. Hitchcock Shoes actually went to the trouble of coming out with wide toes caps that meet the specs but most companies use a standard width toe cap. If I try to use the right size with standard toe cap I get blister and eventually numbness in my toes.

BuckeyeBill
06-23-2017, 12:00
I worn steel toe jump boots when I was a Police Officer. They had a lug style sole with a side zipper. The only time I didn't like them was winter time when investigating a traffic accident. Then that steel toe got extremely cold.

lucky luke
06-24-2017, 05:53

... and a lot warmer when its freezing outside. you don´t want to use steel caps when you´re out hiking in the icy cold.

rhyolite
06-24-2017, 09:49
hiking in boots? I would never go back to them, cold weather or not, at least on a through hike. If you are just talking about a day hike in the snow, consider mid top brands that are breathable and flexible. Your feet will be much happier

Dogwood
06-24-2017, 10:38
Steel toed boots tend to be heavy. This is because they are made for work environments having overall heavier construction beyond just steel toes. They are overkill even on the rockiest tread for multi day backpacking.

FWIW both the Keen Targhee and Voyaguer already have substantial hard like rubber toe bumper caps. This is one reason I have liked both those shoes in low and mid cuts on rocky travers and off trail hikes of moderate daily mileage and or heavier loads in remote areas.

I like what RangerZ said. Look for ANSI approved fiberglass toed boots that should be lighter wt for work and hiking if money is that tight. Really though a lighter wt hiking shoe can offer major benefits over super heavy work approved boots.

soilman
06-25-2017, 10:49
Steel toed boots tend to be heavy.
FWIW both the Keen Targhee and Voyaguer already have substantial hard like rubber toe bumper caps.

The Keen Flint steel toe mid weighs 23.4 oz compared to the similar Voyageur mid that weighs 16.2 oz.

George
06-25-2017, 20:34
I am going to say no - not any of the many varieties I have tried through my career, at any point in their wear cycle would be appropriate for hiking

if economy is important, a running shoe in the 35$ range would be far superior

greenmtnboy
06-25-2017, 21:07
I'd check ebay, just set the search for men's boots, hiking or steel toe, used, etc.; a search will pay off with some good deals. You can always make a lower offer, sellers are hungry for deals.

Dogwood
06-25-2017, 22:26
Hey folks,

Yeah I know the request for steel toed hiking boots is a bit weird, but hear me out.
I like to hike in trail runners but when the weather turns cold or wet, I get out my old pair of waterproof boots from high school that really need to be replaced.
Jump to now, I just got a job that requires I have steel-toe boots, or at least boots with toe protection. My budget can't justify getting new boots just for hiking, but I can justify spending a bit extra for boots I can use both at the work site and on the trail. Do you all have recommendations for boots that may serve my needs? Online reviews don't really go over this stuff and I don't necessarily trust what companies market as "steel toe hiking boots" without backup confirmation.
Bonus points: I have flat feet. =(

oh, and budget is $100-$150. I may be able to stretch that if the boots are really worth it, but that's gonna be difficult.

thanks

An option: there are steel toed boots or work boots with toe protection that aren't steel toed that can be had IF you search for $70-110. Keen Targhees or similar, which IMO are more protective offered in both low and mid cut versions can be had for similar. REALLY, in the big scheme of things like hiking appropriate footwear should not be skimped upon. If your feet aren't happy you aren't going to be hiking for long. Hiking shoes and sleep system are where it pays to get it right in backpacking IMHO. Think about it. You're either in your hiking shoes or your sleep system how many hrs out of each hiking day? Get those two components right even if it means having to cut out or cut down on buying that fancy Ti cookware, stove, $$$UL pack, $$$$ cuben fiber itsy bitsy UL all the rage shelter, planning trips far from home base, splurging on that $$$ jacket, etc.

Smithereens
06-25-2017, 23:12
Come to think of it, I normally don't skimp on shoes for hiking, but I will cheap out on shoes for around the house. I bought a pair of Avia (sp??) lightweight hikers from Wally world... they were around $20. (They are black and orange and didn't even come in a shoebox)
I hate to say it, but they are darn comfy and really fit me well, I actually like them better than my Merrells and my New Balance. I am a little bit of a shoe snob, but I've done most of my hiking this year in these cheap shoes and they have been great.

OCDave
06-26-2017, 01:38
Less ridiculous than steel toed hiking boots...Buy a hiking appropriate boots then add these => https://www.grainger.com/product/GRAINGER-APPROVED-Unisex-Steel-Toe-Guard-5T455?s_pp=false&picUrl=//static.grainger.com/rp/s/is/image/Grainger/5T455_AS01?$smthumb$

Good Luck

Jayne
06-30-2017, 10:52
Mil surplus boots are tough to beat for low cost options and some of them have steel toes. I've hiked a lot of miles in GI boots with steel toes. After I graduated and started getting a pay check I went out and bought after market boots without the plates (like everyone else I knew.) It can be done, but I don't recommend it.

Dogwood
06-30-2017, 11:15
The Keen Flint steel toe mid weighs 23.4 oz compared to the similar Voyageur mid that weighs 16.2 oz.

That's more than 14 oz per pr of wt on a backpackers feet. What do we think the potential consequences? :rolleyes: positive negative