PDA

View Full Version : ANY AIRPORT troubles

Back on the trail
06-22-2017, 09:28
Doing a section hike and I'm going to try to carry my pack on as my carry-on. I know that I can't bring fuel, tent poles, tent stakes, knife, trowel, hiking poles. But what other things has anybody come across? Will my food be an issue? Like Mountain house bags, home made gorp packages?

ldsailor
06-22-2017, 10:04
You must have a small backpack. Most are bigger than the maximum allowed size. I have a 62 liter Zpack and it did not qualify.

MuddyWaters
06-22-2017, 10:35
Doing a section hike and I'm going to try to carry my pack on as my carry-on. I know that I can't bring fuel, tent poles, tent stakes, knife, trowel, hiking poles. But what other things has anybody come across? Will my food be an issue? Like Mountain house bags, home made gorp packages?
You cannot bring food thru security checkpoints at airport.
Airlines have a cut of food concessions

You need to check your food

saltysack
06-22-2017, 10:44
I've carried on my circuit and gorilla with no issue, as MW said check food also. I usually carry my down items and other fragile $$$ stuff i.e. shelter the rest gets checked...this is only time I use stuff sacks to compress items and also use all compression straps on pack. I'll be flying to Co next Sunday with my prophet the same way. Never had issue on SW airlines this route.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back on the trail
06-22-2017, 10:52
Salty - I'm carrying my ULA as well. My Issue is Time. I have only one hour to get from the airport to the train station to make the connection so I can't afford to put anything under the airplane and wait at baggage claim. It's in the pack or I have to ship it ahead.

BuckeyeBill
06-22-2017, 10:54
Here is the TSA site (https://www.tsa.gov/travel/security-screening/whatcanibring) that list what can be carried on and what must be checked. I normally send my pack ahead to the trail via UPS Ground. No hassles with my used stove, fuel bottles (empty and odor free), food, and other no nos. That way I feel relatively safe in knowing everything gets there and TSA didn't remove and/or steal anything. Small items like my cell phone and other known safe items I do as carry on.

The Kisco Kid
06-22-2017, 11:01
You can bring almost any food you want through airport security in your carry on bags. The exception is what the TSA considers liquids such as salsa, sauces, and yogurt. For those items, 3.4 oz or less.

What Can I Bring? | TSA (https://www.tsa.gov/travel/security-screening/whatcanibring/food)

KDogg
06-22-2017, 11:12
I put my z-packs into a large duffel bag along with my hiking poles. Sent the duffel home when I got to Georgia. No problems.

HooKooDooKu
06-22-2017, 11:56

So not true.

When I did my JMT hike last year, I checked my backpack while my bear canister full of food was my main carry-on.

You can bring almost any food you want through airport security in your carry on bags. The exception is what the TSA considers liquids such as salsa, sauces, and yogurt. For those items, 3.4 oz or less.
What Can I Bring? | TSA (https://www.tsa.gov/travel/security-screening/whatcanibring/food)
In addition to liquids, I've heard several stories of peanut butter getting confiscated.

saltysack
06-22-2017, 12:05
Salty - I'm carrying my ULA as well. My Issue is Time. I have only one hour to get from the airport to the train station to make the connection so I can't afford to put anything under the airplane and wait at baggage claim. It's in the pack or I have to ship it ahead.

Simply mail those items ahead as others said I've also done that with no issues...on way back simply use your pack liner i.e. compactor bag as a cover over entire pack Inc poles and tape shut and check..

MuddyWaters
06-22-2017, 12:19
So not true.

When I did my JMT hike last year, I checked my backpack while my bear canister full of food was my main carry-on.

In addition to liquids, I've heard several stories of peanut butter getting confiscated.

After being told I couldnt and tossing stuff, I havent tried in years. Since way before ,9-11 and tsa.
They cant open and search sealed food packaging.

But i alwsys figured it was airlines really wanting you to buy their $$$ food and snacks.

MuddyWaters
06-22-2017, 12:31

Only one train you can take?
Dont c line run about every half hour till 830 pm

You starting trail at 10 pm or something?

And its only m-f....its commuter rail

Dogwood
06-22-2017, 12:51
Check your airlines carry on size AND wt maximum. Carry food onto flights all the time usually most in food sack with a few non liquid items in hip belt pockets with never an issue in 15 yrs. Once through TSA check pts food and liquids can be bought and brought onto flights. In 15 yrs and 40 plus flights have never has an issue carrying on several types of tent stakes or folded up trekking poles.

Dogwood
06-22-2017, 12:54
I carry on a ULA CDT 55L with nothing dangling outsode off the pack in a 25 lb load all the time.

Dogwood
06-22-2017, 13:01
To lighten up the load needed to be hauled on flights I ll sometimes mail ahead 5 to 6 days food and any prohibited items like pocket knife, gas canisters, etc

Back on the trail
06-22-2017, 13:02
Only one train you can take?
Dont c line run about every half hour till 830 pm

You starting trail at 10 pm or something?

And its only m-f....its commuter rail

Train only "STOPS" at the trail head on Sat. Sun. since I am flying in that morning I miss the first train and the one I am gunning for is the only other that day. So yeah it a all or nothing adventure.

Dogwood
06-22-2017, 13:07
Several of the airlines attempt to scare travelers into paying extra to check baggage. Like Jet Blue. Easy enough to avoid these extra fee genersting biz tactics when you review your specific carriers carry on size policie aND measure your pack to make sure it is within their regs pre flight.

MuddyWaters
06-22-2017, 13:21
Train only "STOPS" at the trail head on Sat. Sun. since I am flying in that morning I miss the first train and the one I am gunning for is the only other that day. So yeah it a all or nothing adventure.
You lost me.
Are you going to littleton mineral station?
I recall that c line didnt run on sat/sun from union station.

The d line did from 30th st station....but its a short bus ride from union station.

Dont recall anything running 2 x day, unless your talking buses to lockheed plant....then that makes sense. I never researched that. Theres always uber...

Or make it easy. Ct foundation has list of people that will shuttle. Lots in denver....you should have this list in phone for trail just in case

Back on the trail
06-22-2017, 13:29
For future reference: Quantity limits: One lighter per passenger in carry-on or on one's person. When a carry-on bag is checked at the gate or at planeside, any lighter in the carry-on must be removed from the bag and kept with the passenger in the aircraft cabin.See the regulation: 49 CFR 175.10(a)(2) (http://www.ecfr.gov/cgi-bin/retrieveECFR?gp=1&SID=bba5ad06518b529c94e1d67a3270196b&ty=HTML&h=L&r=SECTION&n=49y2.1.1.3.12.1.25.5)

MuddyWaters
06-22-2017, 13:37
C line Does run sat/sun

But only northbound early in morning
Not south

You can get d line at 16 th and stout . Just use free mallride from union station.

Back on the trail
06-22-2017, 14:01
heres the plan - Land at LGA airport via Jetblue @ 8:50 - take taxi to Grand Central Station via midtown tunnel. Grab train9619 (harlem line) to Pawling N.Y. / Trailhead @ Noon. Train only stops on weekend at that location.

MuddyWaters
06-22-2017, 14:06
Aha
When you replied to salty i thought you was doing colorado trail...thats where he headed.....:) easy to mix up threads. My bad

There is a bus from lga to grand central terminal , much cheaper than taxi if it matches schedule.$15 i think.
I was just up that way a few months ago, we took limo, $90 I think. But nicer than yellow cab.

Great thing about ny is the prolific car services. Call and have one in minutes.

Back on the trail
06-22-2017, 14:21
no that anybody here is surprised BUT you can take 4 inch long scissors or a less than 7 inch long screw driver but NOT a 2 inch long folding swiss army knife on the plane in your carry on with you.

MuddyWaters
06-22-2017, 14:24
no that anybody here is surprised BUT you can take 4 inch long scissors or a less than 7 inch long screw driver but NOT a 2 inch long folding swiss army knife on the plane in your carry on with you.
Not surprised

I could kill with a pointy mechanical pencil but cant bring my 5 oz blunt hiking poles

Dogwood
06-22-2017, 14:43
yes take the bus from LGA to Grand Central. it's MUCH GUSTO cheaper.

Dogwood
06-22-2017, 14:50
What folks are posting for TSA regs periodically is revised. make sure to get the latest regs. Don't be surprised at the AP.

Again, Jet Blue has their own carry on size and wt maximum. Go to their site and make sure you are within these size and wt regs before getting to the AP as Jet Blue price gouges on the back end with add on fees they fear monger travelers about.

saltysack
06-22-2017, 15:19
C line Does run sat/sun

But only northbound early in morning
Not south

You can get d line at 16 th and stout . Just use free mallride from union station.

Think he's going to AT not CT.....[emoji23]

BuckeyeBill
06-22-2017, 16:02

When I lived in NYC, several of my friends and I would fly to various cities across the US and two to three trips to England to play in Dart tournaments. This was pre 9-11. We would usually just use carry-on baggage and would get stopped for our dart sets that we used. We asked to be walked back to the gate where we would have the plane company representative take position of the darts to hand to the pilot. We would rather loose our luggage than those darts. One of my friends said "I can carry a leatherman tool that I can take the plane apart with, but not a set of darts". The pilot would crack up laughing at us when we landed and he returned them to us.

perdidochas
06-22-2017, 16:21

I had no problem carrying packaged food (granola bars and the like) in carry-on luggage.

Dogwood
06-22-2017, 18:27
There is not a one size OR wt carry on requirement for all airlines. As said previously with the added fees, higher if once required at the AP, it pays to know your airlines carry on regs BEFORE arriving at the AP. Jet Blue is one carrier noted for added on chares making their seemingly low fares not so low in the end for those requiring to check their oversized OR over wt ed large packs.

MuddyWaters
06-22-2017, 18:47
There is not a one size OR wt carry on requirement for all airlines. As said previously with the added fees, higher if once required at the AP, it pays to know your airlines carry on regs BEFORE arriving at the AP. Jet Blue is one carrier noted for added on chares making their seemingly low fares not so low in the end for those requiring to check their oversized OR over wt ed large packs.
Some like spirit charge $25 or more for carryon. Suddenly the cheap ticket aint so cheap

Odd Man Out
06-22-2017, 20:05
I had insect repellent confiscated even though it was less than 3 oz an in qt. Baggie.

Feral Bill
06-22-2017, 20:34
I had insect repellent confiscated even though it was less than 3 oz an in qt. Baggie.
Flammable, no doubt

Traveler
06-23-2017, 05:56
What folks are posting for TSA regs periodically is revised. make sure to get the latest regs. Don't be surprised at the AP.

Again, Jet Blue has their own carry on size and wt maximum. Go to their site and make sure you are within these size and wt regs before getting to the AP as Jet Blue price gouges on the back end with add on fees they fear monger travelers about.

Jet Blue size requirements for carry-on bags are similar to other Major carriers, 22 x 14 x 9 inches (including wheels, handles, and latches). There are no specific published weight limits for carry-on luggage. That said, any airline can refuse cabin storage of carry-on if they feel weight, size, or appropriateness of the item is questionable.

MuddyWaters
06-23-2017, 06:30
Jet Blue size requirements for carry-on bags are similar to other Major carriers, 22 x 14 x 9 inches (including wheels, handles, and latches). There are no specific published weight limits for carry-on luggage. That said, any airline can refuse cabin storage of carry-on if they feel weight, size, or appropriateness of the item is questionable.

One thing to keep in mind
With extra fees to check baggage, many bring carry on today
With cheap tickets, and no priority boarding class, you last to board

There is usually no room for carry on for the last people boarding on a full flight.
Because many aholes put their personal item that should go under seat, in ovhd bin also. Coats, puses, backpacks, etc. And last group to board....has to check their carryon at the gate because no room left. In addtion seats are smaller and underseat storage is ridiculously small compared to what it used to be. You can barely get anything under anyway.

These same aholes put their stuff in overhead bins at front when board first , then walk farther back to their seat. Then people have to go farther back to put their stuff in overhead, and walk against flow of people to get back to their seat. Or attendants have to find a spot for their stuff. This is what holds up the boarding process.

The moral is, dont be in last group to board if you have carryon and in hurry.

BuckeyeBill
06-23-2017, 11:15
Or you could pay out the ying yang for a first class ticket. The airlines really kiss your butt in first class.

dzierzak
06-23-2017, 13:24
Just other option...

Take the train to Pawling rather than the AT stop. More trains available and it's only 2.5 miles from the Pawling stop to the AT stop.

One Half
06-23-2017, 18:54

If your poles collapse you can bring them if there are rubber ends on the end. (appears TSA doesn't know there's a sharp pointy thing underneath that rubber tip) Or at least that's how it worked for me. You can bring tent pegs, depending on the TSA person on duty. However, I bought a large laundry bag for $5 at Walmart in GA before I flew home. Put my pack in it and checked it. Had to check it or get rid of my knife that I have carried since I started hiking so there was no way I was letting the knife go.

MuddyWaters
06-24-2017, 05:03
If your poles collapse you can bring them if there are rubber ends on the end. (appears TSA doesn't know there's a sharp pointy thing underneath that rubber tip).
Lets be fair

They arent sharp or pointy.

Any ball pt pen is way pointier

They just look like could be used as a weapon in some way

Problem is, by time get to gate if refused, usually nothing to check them in

I will buy cheap $3 luggage item at thrift store to check items. Discard at destination. Travel carryon too. Another cheap thin light item mailed ahead to final destination works for return. With travel clothes. ...clothes can come from thrift store too. That way if never reach destination, etc its no big deal. $10 worth of stuff lost.

I browse thrift stores all time and look for a couple things. Cant wait till last minute. 2 small duffels, and a bookbag in my garage right now, cost $10 for all 3. Finding a 24" size duffel isnt a easy as you might think. Tons of smaller items to use as a throwaway carry on. Dont overlook child size baseball bat-bags, garment bags, sacks from folding chairs, etc.

Dogwood
06-24-2017, 11:31
Some like spirit charge $25 or more for carryon. Suddenly the cheap ticket aint so cheap

YES Spirit is another one baggage fee price gouging.

Dogwood
06-24-2017, 11:39

Nah. There are published size and wt limits for carry on and checked baggage for more airlines than I can recall I've flown. It makes sense for airlines to charge for oversized or over wt baggage as it relates directly to their fuel costs.

That is the carry on size shared by several(many?) airlines but some airlines, because they use specific planes with lower overhead and between and under seat storage often cramming in more seats to increase revenue, have larger or smaller size carry on and/or checked baggage regs.

Dogwood
06-24-2017, 11:47
If your poles collapse you can bring them if there are rubber ends on the end. (appears TSA doesn't know there's a sharp pointy thing underneath that rubber tip) Or at least that's how it worked for me. You can bring tent pegs, depending on the TSA person on duty. However, I bought a large laundry bag for $5 at Walmart in GA before I flew home. Put my pack in it and checked it. Had to check it or get rid of my knife that I have carried since I started hiking so there was no way I was letting the knife go.

In 15 yrs have never had a problem bringing collapsible trekking poles on domestic flights in the U.S. stored either on the outside of the pack or inside. Also have never been stopped and asked about the huge amount of vitamin supplements I travel. What they ask me about most often is my SnowPeak Mini solo Titanium cook pot that holds all my cooking stuff. Don't try to bring a gas canister or alchy stove fuel or a pocket knife onto a flight though or you'll be detained. Regardless, don't complain, let the TSA folks do their job, and be aware of and comply with CURRENT regs LONG BEFORE preparing to go to the AP. This includes any regs specific to an individual airline regarding carry on or checked baggage.

Francis Sawyer
06-24-2017, 12:18
Just check it all and avoid the problem.

DownEaster
06-24-2017, 15:50
Just check it all and avoid the problem.
That would be replacing one problem with a different set. Your duffel containing carbon trekking poles is likely to have several hundred pounds of other luggage stacked on top of it. I've also heard many stories of small, attractive items (like pocket knives) disappearing from checked bags.

My preferred approach is to ship the stuff you can't carry on with you in advance. You'll pay less than the airline $25 checked bag fee, and you'll have greater confidence in your gear arriving intact.

MuddyWaters
06-24-2017, 16:02
YES Spirit is another one baggage fee price gouging.

I recently shopped one way tickets for a hike later this summer

My standard ...united...had tickets on given week for 135. With some various days 75 the next week. I dont pay baggage fee on united.

Bargain lines, frontier and spirit were more, and charged $35 for checked bag, with spirit also charging 25 for a carryon.

By far...united was cheapest. I shifted schedule and my one way ticket was $74
Baggage free for me. Spirit would be by far the most expensive.

TX Aggie
06-24-2017, 16:16

I've brought sealed/packaged food through multiple times without issue.

Dogwood
06-24-2017, 16:29
After being told I couldnt and tossing stuff, I havent tried in years. Since way before ,9-11 and tsa.
They cant open and search sealed food packaging.

But i alwsys figured it was airlines really wanting you to buy their $$$ food and snacks.

After going through TSA check pts there have always been food and drink concessions at every US AP I've ever experienced. These concessions aren't affiliated with any one airline.

Recalc
06-24-2017, 17:29
A sealed, unopened jar of peanut butter was taken away from me at Logan Airport at a TSA checkpoint.

MuddyWaters
06-24-2017, 17:32
After going through TSA check pts there have always been food and drink concessions at every US AP I've ever experienced. These concessions aren't affiliated with any one airline.

The airlines are involved in food concessions in the terminals. They get a share of sales or lease as they are responsible for generating the traffic. At least that was my understanding.

DownEaster
06-24-2017, 18:36
A sealed, unopened jar of peanut butter was taken away from me at Logan Airport at a TSA checkpoint.
Can't have any liquids (even highly viscous liquids like peanut butter or toothpaste) more than 100 ml (about 3.4 oz.).

PaulWorksHard
06-25-2017, 02:20
The below is all regarding carry on bags. I never check a bag.

Some people appear to assume that if it worked for them, then it is allowed by TSA. This is absolutely not the case. TSA uses their discretion sometimes and perhaps at other times just don't know the rules.

Hiking poles are explicitly prohibited on the TSA website.HOWEVER, I have carried them on multiple times with no issues. This does not mean they are allowed, just that I was given a break on multiple occasions.

https://www.tsa.gov/travel/security-screening/whatcanibring/sporting-and-camping

Ps. Crampons are also explicitly not allowed in carry ons!

Maybe lots of TSA personnel realize some of the rules are of questionable value. The 3-1-1 with liquids and gels is the one area they are highly consistent.

PaulWorksHard
06-25-2017, 02:31
Sorry, but whoever said food is not allowed is mistaken:

Solid food items (not liquids or gels) can be transported in either your carry-on or checked bags. Liquid or gel food items larger than 3.4 oz are not allowed in carry-on bags and should be placed in your checked bags if possible.

Some funny notes from TSA Web site:

A live lobster is allowed through security and must be transported in a clear, plastic, spill proof container. A TSA officer will visually inspect your lobster at the checkpoint. We recommend that you contact your airline to determine your airline's policy on traveling with your lobster before arriving at the airport.

Meat, seafood, vegetables and other non-liquid food items are permitted in both carry-on and checked bags. If the food is packed with ice or ice packs in a cooler or other container, the ice or ice packs must be completely frozen when brought through screening. If the ice or ice packs are partially melted and have any liquid at the bottom of the container, they will not be permitted.

Above lines are cut directly from https://www.tsa.gov/travel/security-screening/whatcanibring/food

MuddyWaters
06-25-2017, 09:04
Sorry, but whoever said food is not allowed is mistaken:

Solid food items (not liquids or gels) can be transported in either your carry-on or checked bags. Liquid or gel food items larger than 3.4 oz are not allowed in carry-on bags and should be placed in your checked bags if possible.

With a few caveats

All liquid or gel type containers must fit in a single 1 qt ziplock, seperated from caryon baggage.

Any item that looks like it needs additional inspection on xray can be dissallowed at discretion of agent.

I havent tried to bring on food in many years. Way before current screening technology.

But for hiking trips my peanut butter, tuna salad, jelly, olive oil, mayo, aqua mira , etc for first leg wont fit in a single qt ziplock. So its a moot point. Food must be checked.

Do thick foil bags like MH attract attention on xray? Dont know, dont try.

Some report taking poles on, even though they are specifically NOT allowed.

Risk whatever you like at the gate.

Back on the trail
06-27-2017, 18:29
Do thick foil bags like MH attract attention on xray? Dont know, dont try.

I emailed MH about this - They haven't written back : (

I can't change that I'm not going to risk checking my pack just for my time issue. From the time I am supposed to land, to the time the train leaves is one hour. So I am pushing my luck as it is. So everything has to be carry on COMPLIANT. I'm going to ship a small box ahead just as little as possible.

Dogwood
06-27-2017, 20:58
No sir, those aren't trekking poles, those are fishing poles. :D

Again, never a problem on domestic flights using multiple carriers carrying on foldable trekking poles with a blunt tip ON THE OUTSIDE OF MY PACK more than 25 times over the past 15 yrs. These were in plain sight so either I'm real lucky heading to Vegas or....trekking poles as stated aren't high on the TSA watch list. ;)

One Half
06-27-2017, 23:13

Well, it's Logan.

MuddyWaters
06-27-2017, 23:58
No sir, those aren't trekking poles, those are fishing poles. :D

Again, never a problem on domestic flights using multiple carriers carrying on foldable trekking poles with a blunt tip ON THE OUTSIDE OF MY PACK more than 25 times over the past 15 yrs. These were in plain sight so either I'm real lucky heading to Vegas or....trekking poles as stated aren't high on the TSA watch list. ;)

Yep
Till you get that agent that goes by the book

Dogwood
06-28-2017, 00:28
Ahh, it's all part of the journey MW. I find it hard to fathom with all the different times going through domestic flight TSA check pts with trekking poles in plain sight that they are high on the to watch for list just as I said were all my supplements. If it really became a problem for a TSA Agent, who's just doing their job, I'll suck it up and check my pack.

I've forgotten to mail ahead a canister or pocket knife or be under the 3 oz or whatever it currently is liquids/gels/oils and made it onto planes before only knowing what I did after I arrived at my destination. It's not like I'm trying to intentionally carry on my cricket bat to hijack a flight from Syria or Iraq to Paris.