PDA

View Full Version : Mooney Gap N.C.

bushwhacker88
06-22-2017, 17:47
Anyone know the condition of F.S.83 to Mooney Gap N.C.? Is it well marked from U.S. 441? Thanks.

Uncle Joe
06-22-2017, 20:59
You have a couple of ways to get there. You can come from 64 to Standing Indian Campground and take the turnoff to the left as you get to the campground. This takes you past the Backcountry Kiosk. This will take you right up to Mooney Gap. From 441 you want to take Coweeta Lab Rd. Take that back to the lab compound. Stay on this road. There are some forks that might lure you left or right along the way. They have the road blocked at the compound on the left. I think a culvert is out there or something. If it's been fixed then that's good but I went up there several times earlier this year and it didn't look like they had fixed it. If not, take a right and wind your way around the compound. A detour arrow will take you thru it (literally past the utility and truck shops and through the compound) and back to the road. That will take you up to Mooney and the turn off to Albert. There is one road forking to the left a few miles up so stay right. You'll know because it goes downhill and you go up. Just like when hiking the AT: when in doubt, go up. :p Feel free to PM me if you need any clarification.

bushwhacker88
06-23-2017, 09:29
I'm thinking I would be better off coming in from Standing Indian starting in Blairsville- do you agree? Thanks for your reply.

FlyPaper
06-23-2017, 11:00
I'm thinking I would be better off coming in from Standing Indian starting in Blairsville- do you agree? Thanks for your reply.

I have gone to Mooney Gap from both of these ways, and I tend to think that the Standing Indian route is better.

Uncle Joe
06-23-2017, 16:56
Yeah it's easier. The Lab side is quite a drive. Neither is short but I'd say the SI side is gentler.

bushwhacker88
06-25-2017, 08:35
Thank you for your replies. I'll be going in later today from Standing Indian. I'll post a report on road conditions.

bushwhacker88
06-26-2017, 07:12
Well the road from Standing Indian is in good shape. We missed Mooney Gap the first go round and dropped down a long ways towards 441. This part of the road was in worse shape but passable for 2wds also. Its really steep and I wouldnt want to try it after a monsoon unless I had to. Thats some beautiful country I'll be exploring it more when I'm not so rushed. I'll bring a fishing rod next time.