PDA

View Full Version : Twist of Fate!

jughead
01-30-2006, 21:05
While walking in the woods today, with a good friend that is starting March 18th, I decided that it was the right time for me to take on the challenge of hiking the AT. With six weeks to go and starting from scratch with equipment, I was wondering if anyone had any words of wisdom?

I am really looking foward to this opportunity of a lifetime.

I can't wait to meet everyone on the trail.

BW2006
01-30-2006, 21:07
Spend a lot of time looking at this site!!! Good luck and see you on the trail. We're starting around the same time!

mweinstone
01-30-2006, 21:11
get all the best stuff,borrow as much loot as you can,spend each moment packing,ordering,breathing down the postmans neck ,etc.dont leave with anything your not 100% sure about. if one underware waist elastic is to tight ,you must replace it.eat only trail food starting now. sleep only in your bag . dont spend money on anything at all except trail stuff.

Just Jeff
01-30-2006, 21:42
Get a camping hammock.

Mouse
01-30-2006, 21:44
Read all the journals at Trailjournals.com, especially the ones who finish, and look at the "Gear" section of each journal. That will show you what gear successful hikers used and what worked and did not work for them.

hammock engineer
01-31-2006, 00:03
Research your gear before you buy. Don't make the mistake of ordering stuff now just because you need it, then realize later that they is better ones out there. Then have to rebuy it. Also look into going as lite as you feel comfortable.

Those were my biggest mistakes in preparing for my hike. My goal is not to have to rebuy things after a few weeks just because I did not research or test enough.

HarleyHogPit
01-31-2006, 00:04
Jughead, what a great decision.

Ask questions on here, people are always very helpful.

Get all of your gear first and then get your backpack.

colbys
01-31-2006, 01:19
man, i love you man.i love the decision on a whim,just make it count.listen to all these good people on this site,when you get to neels gap and things are not going good,have em go thru your pack and whittle it down.
good luck!

general
01-31-2006, 09:42
gear doesn't make the hiker. keep your load as light as possible and have a good time.

jughead
02-01-2006, 00:57
Thank you all for the great advice so far, keep it coming.

It all seems kind of strange to me still; the way the entire sequence of events has transpired. I just graduated from college, broke up with my girlfriend of 3 years, have no job, and I'm 25 years old and living with my parents.

I just happened to have enough money left over from my last semester in college to make this journey happen. It all just seems like one huge twist of fate.

Hey general, man I love the advice.

Colbys, I love you too man.

Hey Hogpit, act like you don't know me why don't ya!

mweinstone
02-02-2006, 23:07
the big pitfall is twice buying.it goes like this.using the trek of a lifetime as your excuse ,.....drunk with financial power,.....[ie;spending alot on somthing you feel is good for you],......you race around with only one goal,......being finished getting ready.because in your sick with springer mind,....you only know that you can only leave when your ready.forget that its to early to start,.....just race at top speed to finnish packing so you can get on with the task of dieing of impatience.all the while buying stuff ,only to replace it with new stuff,sometimes two and three times.till theirs a big pile of extra stuff and a bigger hole in your budget.

Almost There
02-02-2006, 23:53
See you live in Maryland, don't know where in Maryland exactly but if you can get over to The Outfitter of Harpers Ferry try heading in and have them help you with what you "need", this being the crucial word, many of us have two sets of gear...our winter pack and things(stuff we thought we would need when we didn't know what we were doing) and then our gear we bought when we finally realized what we were doing. Good Luck!!!

KirkMcquest
02-02-2006, 23:58
Thank you all for the great advice so far, keep it coming.

It all seems kind of strange to me still; the way the entire sequence of events has transpired. I just graduated from college, broke up with my girlfriend of 3 years, have no job, and I'm 25 years old and living with my parents.

Sounds like the perfect time. You must get a log book. Wingfoot's is really good, I don't care what anybody says. When you get it, you can start planning your mail drops.

colbys
02-04-2006, 00:15
hey jughead,just live the dream man and dont look back.maybe ill see you in southern virginia when i hopefully ridgerun this summer

Lion King
02-04-2006, 11:51
While walking in the woods today, with a good friend that is starting March 18th, I decided that it was the right time for me to take on the challenge of hiking the AT. With six weeks to go and starting from scratch with equipment, I was wondering if anyone had any words of wisdom?

I am really looking foward to this opportunity of a lifetime.

I can't wait to meet everyone on the trail.

When you feel like sh@* and its raining and the heat index is like 110 and the bugs are eating you alive and your ankle is swollen to the size of a grapefruit and you are out of all food except dried beans and the water source is dry and you lost your headlamp but still have to find a campsite in a tornado after midnight and the rocks keep coming and your feet are soaked and the rain has been going for forty days.

Smile, and know it will get better.

jughead
02-04-2006, 13:35
Hey Lion King,
Thanks for the vote of confidence(lol). Really man I think thats great advice.

I guess it all comes down to being optimistic and finding the positive light in everything.

I'm looking foward to those down moments to really test my mental capacity.

I think in essence, that is what most of us truly aspire to have. A positive outlook on what seems to be the touchline of insanity.

Rock on Colbys!

Almost There, I actually made a visit to the Conservancy the other day to pick up a data book. The Outfitter was closed. Great Advice though. I plan on making it there in the next few weeks.

Hey Kirk, I am planning on taking a log book. I will look into wingfoots!

I've been reading the Prep/ Hike AT Guide book for some suggestions. I also have a really awesome friend helping me with what I really really am going to need.

Keeping it light as humanly possible.

Wonder
02-05-2006, 03:33
This is advice passed down to me:
Fear +weight
Weight+injury/failure
Think about what you are scared of and what weight it adds to your pack. It will make sence once you start to think about it

Wonder
02-05-2006, 03:33
soory....I have a

Wonder
02-05-2006, 03:34
Ihaveaproblemwithmypcitthinksmyspaceisenter....... .Imenttosay....fear+weight.....thisisreallystrange ......

Wonder
02-05-2006, 03:35
fear=weight.....DAM!!!

HarleyHogPit
02-08-2006, 17:49
Hey Hogpit, act like you don't know me why don't ya!

Hey Jughead!!! I see you are getting some good advice. I told you this site was great. I am getting more excited about setting out everyday. It's great you decided to do this. We are going to have such a great time. You actually have more equipment now than I have. Just a few more items to get but we will get there. We'll have to go for a few practice runs with all of the gear really soon to see what "we really need" and what we can live without.

Nokia
02-08-2006, 19:30
We'll have to go for a few practice runs with all of the gear really soon to see what "we really need" and what we can live without.
All you need is a good attitude and positive think. I used to be a glass is half empty kinda guy. The trail taught me numerous times that, like Lion King said, "Things will get better." I think acknowledging that at that moment, hiking the trail, this is your life. When you're at home you never think, "Boy, this is harder than I thought. I wish I could go back to real life." Make the trail your "real life." Everything that is at home will be there whenever you finish. Besides when you get done your hike you'll be thinking "man this job sucks. I hate bills. I wish I could just go back home (to the AT!).":D