PDA

View Full Version : A tick that causes a red meat allergy? It seems to thrive along the trail.

Cedar1974
06-24-2017, 07:22
http://www.businessinsider.com/lone-star-tick-spreading-alpha-gal-red-meat-allergy-2017-6?r=US&IR=T

Just some info I found on one of my facebook forums, and then I saw the map of where it lives I thought I should share it here.

Hoosier70
06-24-2017, 15:23
That's it I'm never leaving the house.

Tipi Walter
06-24-2017, 15:46
It's a wonderful irony--the Lone Star name associated with Texas, one of the biggest beef suppliers in the country. And yet the tick bite produces an allergic reaction to . . . wait for it . . . beef. Can't make this stuff up. Lucky me I've been a vegetarian since 1973.

Dogwood
06-24-2017, 16:43
Sounds like a vegetarian conspiracy.LOL TO TWS post.

martinb
06-26-2017, 12:57
I have it, it's quite real. I had to go to the ER due to a reaction to my beloved grilled organic burgers. I had gotten bit by a tic (didn't check it before I burned it) and the reaction started a month or so later. First it was just a little itching a few hours after but progressed to the ER visit a couple of weeks later. I'm able to consume small amounts of beef and pork now without having any reaction but epipens are always in hand.

Kaptainkriz
06-26-2017, 18:20
I may hit you up for some recipe guidance...

It's a wonderful irony--the Lone Star name associated with Texas, one of the biggest beef suppliers in the country. And yet the tick bite produces an allergic reaction to . . . wait for it . . . beef. Can't make this stuff up. Lucky me I've been a vegetarian since 1973.