PDA

View Full Version : Question about salt

Suzzz
06-25-2017, 12:06
Question about salt...

Yes salt is bad for you in large quantities but it can also cause a lot of problems if you don't have enough. Aren't we loosing a lot of it through sweat while we hike? I was under the impression that a higher than usual amount of salt in one's diet would be beneficial under exertion. Am I wrong in thinking that?

I'm not a thru hiker so I'm not on the trail for weeks on end, a week of salty foods won't kill me, especially since my usual day to day diet is very low in salt as I don't particularly like salty foods but am I wrong in thinking that I should supplement my hiking diet with salty foods?

MuddyWaters
06-25-2017, 12:20
Salt isnt as detrimental as junk science and special interests made it out to be years ago.

If you have high blood pressure or marginal kidneys, yeah maybe you should watch the intake.

There are drink mixes which can supplement electrolytes. I use them. I dont know if it helps with electrolytes compared to food, I do know it helps me drink more, which in itself makes a difference. I suspect its hard to eat 3500 cal per day and not get enough sodium or potassium.

gpburdelljr
06-25-2017, 12:51
Here is a recent article about new evidence that salt isn't as bad for you as it has been made out to be.

http://www.businessinsider.com/how-bad-for-you-is-sodium-or-salt-if-you-dont-have-high-blood-pressure-2017-5

Dogwood
06-25-2017, 12:56
Depends on what you mean by "salt." Iodized table salt is not what I desire on hot hikes. I'm looking for a wide spectrum of electrolytes.

Hikingjim
06-25-2017, 14:58
Question about salt...

Yes salt is bad for you in large quantities but it can also cause a lot of problems if you don't have enough. Aren't we loosing a lot of it through sweat while we hike? I was under the impression that a higher than usual amount of salt in one's diet would be beneficial under exertion. Am I wrong in thinking that?

I'm not a thru hiker so I'm not on the trail for weeks on end, a week of salty foods won't kill me, especially since my usual day to day diet is very low in salt as I don't particularly like salty foods but am I wrong in thinking that I should supplement my hiking diet with salty foods?

Yes. If your diet is pretty low sodium you should bring some saltier foods along and can mix in gatorade and other similar drinks where possible. Especially if it's mid-summer or you sweat above average

Bronk
06-25-2017, 16:44
Your body will tell you what you need. Pay attention to your cravings, its your body trying to tell you something.

tiptoe
06-25-2017, 18:04
I don't normally salt my food much, so when I hike, I carry a tiny plastic bottle of salt. If I start to feel a bit light-headed, I just take a little, and the problem goes away immediately. If I were you, I wouldn't over-think this. Just eat what you normally do, stay well hydrated, especially in warm weather, and adjust salt intake as necessary.

peakbagger
06-25-2017, 18:36
Consider Morton Lite Salt which is blend of Sodium Chloride and Potassium Chloride in place of regular salt. Potassium is definitely a major electrolyte that most folks don't have enough of. Many folks including myself get leg cramps several hours after hiking unless they supplement potassium. I also use Nuun electrolyte tabs especially on hot days.

MuddyWaters
06-25-2017, 19:27
Consider Morton Lite Salt which is blend of Sodium Chloride and Potassium Chloride in place of regular salt. Potassium is definitely a major electrolyte that most folks don't have enough of. Many folks including myself get leg cramps several hours after hiking unless they supplement potassium. I also use Nuun electrolyte tabs especially on hot days.

dried banana chips have lots of potassium.
In fact, they are about 1/2% potassium

fiddlehead
06-25-2017, 19:49
I stand with t"Bronk" who says your body will tell you what you need.
Now that I'm hiking a lot here in Thailand in the tropics, I craze potato chips a lot more than before.
I imagine it's because I sweat so much more.
I'm heading to a dryer (and a bit cooler) climate next week to hike the Balkans so, will see if I crave them as much.
But I would listen to your body.
And I agree that salt is not so bad for you if you are not unhealthy.

nsherry61
06-25-2017, 20:13
I stand with t"Bronk" who says your body will tell you what you need. . . But I would listen to your body.
Oh yeah. Thanks. I'm overweight, but hey, I'm craving cookies and ice-cream, so I'd better go eat some . . .
Or, all my family and friends tell me I drink to much, but my body wants a drink, so I should listen to my cravings and ignore my concerned friends' and family's input?
Sorry, I think saying just "listen to your body" is completely disregarding an important and valid question. I don't think nutrition is anywhere nearly as simple as just listening to your body, even if "listening to your body" in one of many tools or viewpoints to consider in nutrition decision making. Also, some of us have wiser bodies than others and some of us are better at interpreting what our body is saying, and some of us are completely retarded in this department and need some academic insight to help improve the wisdom of our cravings.

As to the OP, I think this thread and your original understanding is overall pretty much right on.

Redbird2
12-04-2017, 22:44
This is something I've been thinking about for a while now. Many hours of hiking in warm weather will cause you to sweat a lot. I've recently researched the health benefits of Himalayan salt. The claim is that it has about 85 trace minerals and nutrients not found in regular table salt. Reduces muscle cramps. This could be all marketing I really don't know. I've been putting a very small sprinkle in my water bottles. I can't say that I've noticed anything positive or negative. I don't have hypertension so that small bit of salt hasn't hurt me either.

gracebowen
12-04-2017, 23:07
Himalayan salt and black salt are better for you than table salt.
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/pink-himalayan-salt&ved=0ahUKEwi7wODR8PHXAhVEQSYKHZxZD-sQFghUMAk&usg=AOvVaw32TlWzBjB5c3yBP734gn5Y
http://www.tophealthremedies.com/6-amazing-benefits-and-uses-of-hawaiian-black-
Black salt for me though takes some getting used to.

Christoph
12-05-2017, 10:32
I didn't bring any salt (or any other spices) on my thru. The amount of salt in the overprocessed junk we carry (the just add water type foods) is more than enough to cover any salt loss, I'm sure.
Also yes, I agree with listening to your body and feed the cravings. No need to put up a salty (pun intended) post nsherry. It would be extremely difficult to, but I suppose not totally impossible, to eat what they call "correct" on a 2190 mile hike through the woods without adding pounds of food to your pack. We need a lot of those fats, salts and just plain ole bad calories if you will, as you're burning a LOT more calories and exercising than normal. Most people, myslef included, don't eat correctly anyway on a day to day basis.

Crossup
12-05-2017, 10:58
I have always had a diet high in salt as I like spicy, flavorful food. Yet its not uncommon while mountain biking or hiking for me to feel cramps coming on after prolonged exertion. I take something, used to be Cliff Block Electrolyte chews and while hiking recently Gatorade mixed strong and get quick relief and no actual cramps. That tells me ones body doesnt store or use stored electrolytes effectively and that means the most effective course is to boost electrolytes when your likely to be depleting them, not by taking salt etc in meals hours/days before. YMMV

peakbagger
12-05-2017, 11:30
I strongly suggest using electrolyte supplements while hiking in winter and summer. I use Nuun. There are several electrolytes of concern so you need more than salt. If you buy commercial backpacking food its tends to be very high salt.

Puddlefish
12-05-2017, 13:48
Nearly every lightweight and delicious trail food bought along the AT was salty as can be. There was zero need to add any additional salts. Too many electrolytes are just as bad as too little.

I suspect you'd need a junior chemistry set to successfully balance each electrolyte. Maybe drink the occasional Gatorade, or Nuun supplement, but I wouldn't make it a daily thing, unless you're custom tailoring your diet to avoid standard trail food.

KDogg
12-05-2017, 14:25
You won't have to worry about it on the trail. Everything you buy at dollar general will be full of salt.

Redbird2
12-05-2017, 14:35
I strongly suggest using electrolyte supplements while hiking in winter and summer. I use Nuun.

I had never heard of Nuun before so I went to their website. Apparently 1 tablet treats 16oz of water for approximately $0.70. Doesn't that get a bit expensive? Do you treat all your water or just occasionally?

Venchka
12-05-2017, 14:38
The contradiction in information here is mind boggling.
Take electrolyte supplements.
Avoid electrolyte supplements.
Food found along the trail is loaded with salt.
What’s a Body to do?
Nothing perhaps.
Who knows.
Wayne
Carry a can of Pringles?

peakbagger
12-05-2017, 15:47
It pretty simple, everyone is different, if its hot day or dry day in the winter and I go through a couple of quarts of water without taking a Nuun or two I will be getting leg cramps overnight.

Venchka
12-05-2017, 16:36
Ah yes. Everyone is different. That applies to just about every aspect of life. And the answer is generally “It depends.”
Personal investigation is the answer. Supplemented with a bit of ancient scientific research.
Such as: Dilute Gatorade. 1 qt. Gatorade + 1 qt. water. Or double the water if mixing dry Gatorade.
I wonder if the same might not apply to NUUN or other over the counter remedies?
Personal trial and error.
Wayne

Crossup
12-05-2017, 16:55
You have a way with understatements. It really comes down to most things relating to nutrition on an individual basis needs to be dealth with on a trial and error basis for your self

The contradiction in information here is mind boggling.
Take electrolyte supplements.
Avoid electrolyte supplements.
Food found along the trail is loaded with salt.
What’s a Body to do?
Nothing perhaps.
Who knows.
Wayne
Carry a can of Pringles?

Crossup
12-05-2017, 17:03
Dealth = dealt
And to continue, there is a wealth of information here but also a wealth of ignorance and one size fits all mentality.
Ones personal experience is just that and unless you're willing to label it as such you're likely doing more harm than good by expressing it given how people increasingly cant think for themselves.

You have a way with understatements. It really comes down to most things relating to nutrition on an individual basis needs to be dealth with on a trial and error basis for your self

Crossup
12-05-2017, 17:04
Oh, and I AM NOT talking about WAYNE, I'm referring to a broad swath of people posting here which to me is quite surprising given the average age involved.

Venchka
12-05-2017, 17:10
Thanks for the clarification. And I said essentially the same thing in my post before your posts began.
“One size fits all” seems to be the norm online. Nothing could be further from the truth.
Cheers!
Wayne

fiddlehead
12-05-2017, 20:24
Your body will tell you what you need. Pay attention to your cravings, its your body trying to tell you something.

^best advice on here^

My snacks consist of two categories: Salt and sugar.
I go to whichever one I crave at the time.

jjozgrunt
12-05-2017, 21:33
I've been through it all, had to take salt tablets daily in the military when in SE Asia, then no salt tablets are bad for you on the next deployment. Take electrolytes daily, no just after exercise no not at all there should be enough in your daily food. Don't cook with salt, yes do. Bugger what is a plain old bushwalker to do. There is salt hidden in many forms in just about all processed food and quite a lot in those commerical hiking meals. I let my body decide, if I start to cramp, it could be due to a salt deficiency doesn't hurt to have an electrolyte tablet in some water, otherwise I'll just salt my food for taste and I find that is enough. But by all means SYOH (Salt your own hike).

AllDownhillFromHere
12-06-2017, 01:58
Watch your clothes for salt stains. When your body pumps salt out, it's because it has to - to keep the amount of salt balanced with the limited amount of water that's left. When that happens, drink water AND consume salt to replace. I find a teaspoon of pink himalaya salt in every quart of gatorade fixes me up.

rocketsocks
12-06-2017, 08:36
Question about salt...

I'm not a thru hiker so I'm not on the trail for weeks on end, a week of salty foods won't kill me, especially since my usual day to day diet is very low in salt as I don't particularly like salty foods but am I wrong in thinking that I should supplement my hiking diet with salty foods?unless you have a special dietary needs, I would think the resupplying on the trail that many talk about doing has plenty of salt in the form of processed products.

atraildreamer
12-06-2017, 15:58
I stand with t"Bronk" who says your body will tell you what you need.
Now that I'm hiking a lot here in Thailand in the tropics, I craze potato chips a lot more than before.
I imagine it's because I sweat so much more.
I'm heading to a dryer (and a bit cooler) climate next week to hike the Balkans so, will see if I crave them as much.
But I would listen to your body.
And I agree that salt is not so bad for you if you are not unhealthy.

Potatoes have more potassium than bananas. Think of a bag of salted chips as an electrolyte drink without water.

Redbird2
12-06-2017, 16:53
Think of a bag of salted chips as an electrolyte drink without water.

Love it! Health food

Venchka
12-06-2017, 17:05
Potatoes have more potassium than bananas. Think of a bag of salted chips as an electrolyte drink without water.
The internet says that a 7 ounce potato and skin has more potassium than a 4 ounce banana. Show me a Backpacker willing to carry a raw potato and the fuel to cook it.
Instant potatoes and beans, raisins and dates, the list goes on if you’re willing to search. Dried bananas of course for a change of taste.
Wayne

nsherry61
12-06-2017, 21:34
The internet says that a 7 ounce potato and skin has more potassium than a 4 ounce banana. . .
For what it's worth, I'll bet a 7 ounce banana without skin has more potassium than a 4 ounce banana as well.

The way I see it, potassium content is why you should always eat lots of french fries with ketchup as a nutrient boost when backpacking or cycling long distances. Ketchup has both sodium and potassium too. :cool:

Venchka
12-06-2017, 23:02
I did the arithmatic on that goofy internet comparison.
Banana - 105 calories per ounce.
Potato - 145, + or -, calories per ounce.
Wash the fries and ketchup down with a banana split!
Wayne

nsherry61
12-06-2017, 23:23
:banana:banana:banana:banana:banana:banana:banana: banana:banana:banana:banana:banana:banana

Sarcasm the elf
12-06-2017, 23:28
The way I see it, potassium content is why you should always eat lots of french fries with ketchup as a nutrient boost when backpacking or cycling long distances. Ketchup has both sodium and potassium too. :cool:
I like the way you think!

bikebum1975
12-08-2017, 15:05
I did the arithmatic on that goofy internet comparison.
Banana - 105 calories per ounce.
Potato - 145, + or -, calories per ounce.
Wash the fries and ketchup down with a banana split!
Wayne

Oh I dunno rather a cold beer then ketchup myself ��

rocketsocks
12-08-2017, 16:03
I forget under what admin. It was, but they made ketchup a food group instead of a condiment which then became a chargeable item in the school lunch checkout line.

tiptoe
12-08-2017, 16:09
Reagan. Ketchup became a vegetable.

rocketsocks
12-08-2017, 19:53
Reagan. Ketchup became a vegetable.thankee Tip Toe