PDA

View Full Version : Questions about resupply boxes

JimmyJames
06-25-2017, 17:50
Hi guys,

I'm planning to hike part of the Appalachian SOBO from August to November. Ideally I want to have a resupply box that I can forward to businesses ahead of me, pick up food that I need from it and then send it forward again (mainly because I try to stick to a vegan diet so resupply in towns could be hard)

I was wondering if anyone has done this before and knows how long it takes for boxes to get sent to the next place (i think i can carry 5-7 days worth of food if need be) I'm not from the US so have no idea about how postage works there.

Any tips would be greatly appreciated thanks!

Slo-go'en
06-25-2017, 18:20
It depends. With in the States, priority mail is typically 2-3 days, but due to the relatively remote location and small size of some towns and PO's, it can take up to 5. If you have to send the packages from Canada, it could take weeks. And cost a small fortune.

Since sending packages to the US from Canada would be absurd, (unless you know someone who can sneak across the boarder and send them from the US), your going to have to buy the food in the towns you come to anyway. If you come to a town with a good supermarket which has the things you want and you think maybe the next couple of places won't, you could stock up and ship ahead. This is called a "bounce box" since you bounce it down the trail. But large, flat rate Priority mail box (which isn't all that large) will cost you almost $19 to send (and you won't be able to bounce it from a business in most cases, so you'll still have to find a PO), this will add up quickly.

In any event, you should be able to find what you need along the way, but you might have to compromise at times. Most hikers are primarily vegetarians on the trail. The only meat you can carry is stuff like Pepperoni, jerky or spam and most don't bother with these. Tuna is the primary protein source.

Megapixel
06-25-2017, 18:35
Hi guys,

I'm planning to hike part of the Appalachian SOBO from August to November. Ideally I want to have a resupply box that I can forward to businesses ahead of me, pick up food that I need from it and then send it forward again (mainly because I try to stick to a vegan diet so resupply in towns could be hard)

I was wondering if anyone has done this before and knows how long it takes for boxes to get sent to the next place (i think i can carry 5-7 days worth of food if need be) I'm not from the US so have no idea about how postage works there.

Any tips would be greatly appreciated thanks!

If your diet is specialized with supplements or unique items you can't find in small and medium size grocers, and in some cases convenience stores as certain resupply towns will dictate, then your best bet would be to arrive in the States early and purchase and pack and ship to your supply points of choice. It is limiting in many ways to ship to yourself to the post offices and a bit difficult due to limited postal hours in small towns, so shipping to places you might stay provides a better option. Just watch out for extra fees to pick up a package if aren't a guest.
On a 150 day thru you would be looking at 600$ or so just in shipping to send the boxes priority (recommended) to resupply every 5 days or so. The priority boxes are free and can be picked up at a post office.
Advantages to sending them to yourself at various post offices is the option to send them along somewhere else for free, as long as you don't open them first.

Dogwood
06-25-2017, 18:49
How long resupply boxes need to get from one place to another on the east coast mailing from within the U.S. to a destination within the U.S. along the AT depends mainly on how(what level of USPO mailing/postage) you mail it. For the AT between Springer Mt and Mt Katahdin, when I mail from one USPO location to another USPO location using PRIORITY FLAT RATE BOXES with set postage for specific size boxes it takes 1-3 days. For me, repackaging all resupply food into more condensed Ziplocs while opting for dense food to begin with I easily get 6 maybe 7 days food in a MED Size Priority Flat Rate box. These boxes are free at USPO's. It is currently $13.60(U.S. for postage). In a LARGE size Priority Flat Rate box I get 7 upto 9 days food. It currently cost $18.85. Denser food examples are opting for ditalini or very small elbow or smaller stars pasta than large penne pasta, nuts and seeds, nut and seed butters, etc. Don't mail stuff like cheap ramen as it is universally found.

Dogwood
06-25-2017, 18:59
Be careful shipping to non USPO locations as well because some places like remote campgrounds, etc may have to pick up mail off site from where you're mailing it resulting in slightly longer delivery times. When shipping to USPO's look for locations that have open Sat hrs, that don't close for lunch, or otherwise have a limited open for biz hrs. FWIW, calling ahead to USPO locations notifying them of my status that I need my resupply box many times USPO's have let me knock on a USPO door during Sunday to obtain my package despite being closed to the public or have left my box with a local biz to pick up during closed USPO hrs. In the literally 100's of resupply boxes I've sent this way throughout the U.S. I've only had to wait around until Monday less than 1/2 dozen times. IMHO this is what LD hikers do! They improvise. They adapt! I also try selecting USPO locations that have something interesting near them just in case this does happen. REALLY, in the big scheme of LD hiking getting caught around a USPO awaiting to open to obtain a resupply box shouldn't be a HUGE concern unless you're doing a FKT. LD hikers amend schedules routinely. It's what LD hiking is usually about.

Slo-go'en
06-25-2017, 21:28
Also keep in mind the PO is only obligated to hold a package for 30 days. Small town Post offices and business don't have much storage space so don't get to far ahead of yourself. Also indicate about when you expect to arrive so they know where in the queue to put it.

While many have used mail drops successfully, it does take an extra layer of planning, effort and expense.

MuddyWaters
06-25-2017, 21:34
Also keep in mind the PO is only obligated to hold a package for 30 days. Small town Post offices and business don't have much storage space so don't get to far ahead of yourself. Also indicate about when you expect to arrive so they know where in the queue to put it.

Close.

P.O. is obligated to hold general delivery mail 30 days
Packages are up to each station.

Ive never heard of a problem on the AT

But some small POs out west are literally the size of a closet

Some have policies as short as 10-14 days

Because as you say, they simply dont have room.

Ive read of a pissed pct hiker before that got to one and it had returned his package, inside the window they told him, something like only a week.

Dogwood
06-25-2017, 21:57
This topic can be expanded to include amended details in all 50 states, etc so let's keep it to the OP's AT experience. ;) It's enough to be concerned on a LD AT hike coming from another nation.

JimmyJames
06-25-2017, 22:14
Thanks for the advice! I definitely would not ship from Canada. My plan was to have my box of stuff with me and then post it from a place in the US and bounce it forward as needed. My main concern was actually avoiding dairy, as that is the primary reason i stick to a vegan diet, but that should be easy enough with supermarkets.

I mainly wanted to send some vegan supplement shakes, but they pack pretty small so potentially i could carry my whole three month supply with me, or only use a mail drop one a month to save costs. thanks again!

Dogwood
06-25-2017, 22:47
Grow nutritious and relatively cheap trail sprouts. I did this easily AGAIN on my last two sketchy water hikes. https://outdoorherbivore.com/trail-sprouts/

Your choice but I wouldn't carry 3 months of anything I eat on the AT. It's easy enough to mail boxes with predetermined shakes to key resupply locations.