PDA

View Full Version : Training and First Aid Kits.

BuckeyeBill
06-25-2017, 21:13
I know that the contents of a first aid kit has been kicked around a lot on here. The majority say some band-aides, some neosporin, some moleskin or second skin and duct tape is all you need. Other will toss in a few Tylenol or Ibuprofen and a couple of Imodium, all with keeping things light.

Now lets say someone else or yourself have had formal training, (i.e. EMT/Paramedic and/or Certified Wilderness First Aide) would you consider carrying just a few more items because you have training to do more both for yourself or for others? I am not suggesting anything like a full suture kit, but a couple clotting bandages, maybe an ACE bandage. Not to make light of someone seriously hurting themselves, but you can't look at them and say "Damn dude, duct tape ain't gonna fix that." I am sure there are or have been doctors, nurses, EMTs, Paramedics, or people trained in outdoor first aide that hike. I am not suggesting these people should be required to carry extra items. I am just thinking about coming up on someone who has taken a header on the rocks of Pennsylvania or somewhere else. Some band-aides and duct tape won't help much with a gash to head, as head wounds tend to bleed a lot, even if it is small. Situations like this can't be ignored, unless you are totally heartless.

Yes? No? Maybe?

egilbe
06-25-2017, 21:29
Duct tape fixes everything.

Dogwood
06-25-2017, 22:07
Good question Buckeye bill. Being certified in Wilderness First Aid(16 hr, 2 day class) and as a First Responder ABSOLUTELY YES I do sometimes carry more than the most UL most basic FKT. A BIG FAT NO to duct tape fixing everything!!!

Don H
06-26-2017, 07:22
I'm a retired Fire Department Paramedic who still holds an EMT license. During my thru my FAK weighed about 3 ounces. Bandaids, Neosporin, a safety pin, Tylenol, aspirin (for heart attack), Imodium AD, 3' of Leukotape was about all I carried.

I actually had two situations that I came upon that were, or could have been true health emergencies. First was an asthma attack where the person needed help with their inhaler. the second was a diabetic with low blood sugar, fixed that with a Snickers Bar.

Broken bones can be temporarily splinted with sticks and a torn up T shirt. Direct pressure using a bandana or shirt can be used for controlling bleeding. Suturing wounds is not realistic. Anything that serious needs debridement first which you can't effectively do in the field.

Carrying an Ace bandage might be a good idea, it's good for sprains and controlling bleeding.

The most important thing to carry is knowledge of basic first aid. Take a Wilderness FirstAid or First Responder course.

ScareBear
06-26-2017, 07:53
I'm a retired Fire Department Paramedic who still holds an EMT license. During my thru my FAK weighed about 3 ounces. Bandaids, Neosporin, a safety pin, Tylenol, aspirin (for heart attack), Imodium AD, 3' of Leukotape was about all I carried.

I actually had two situations that I came upon that were, or could have been true health emergencies. First was an asthma attack where the person needed help with their inhaler. the second was a diabetic with low blood sugar, fixed that with a Snickers Bar.

Broken bones can be temporarily splinted with sticks and a torn up T shirt. Direct pressure using a bandana or shirt can be used for controlling bleeding. Suturing wounds is not realistic. Anything that serious needs debridement first which you can't effectively do in the field.

Carrying an Ace bandage might be a good idea, it's good for sprains and controlling bleeding.

The most important thing to carry is knowledge of basic first aid. Take a Wilderness FirstAid or First Responder course.

I understand this post is in the AT section and that some of the following applies to more remote/rugged/dangerous settings.

Suturing being realistic is often dependent on the injury and the ETA to a facility than can have a physician suture you. Going on a 3 week Grand Canyon permit expedition? You'll likely find a couple of skin staplers, along with suture kits, scalpels, SAM splints and other emergency field gear. I've usually got a suture kit, with me on all my AT hikes. Weighs nothing. Same with super glue and steri-strips. I'm not going to activate my SPOT when I am 24 hours or more from a viable road crossing when I or my partner have an injury that can be dealt with immediately and then more professionally, if needed. Same with safety-pins. It sucks to have to use them on a wound, but sometimes, there isn't any good alternative, even if you are staying put until help arrives. Which, depending on where your are, can be quite a good while...

I think the hemostats weigh the most in my little kit...

All of the above requires sufficient prior training and isn't field-craft to be learned on the fly. But, with sufficient prior training can be put to use when necessary or desired. I would not dismiss sutures, staplers, super-glue or the like as overkill or not needed.

YMMV

OCDave
06-26-2017, 07:59
It is all about what you carry in your head, very little about what you carry in your pack.

egilbe
06-26-2017, 08:01
Good question Buckeye bill. Being certified in Wilderness First Aid(16 hr, 2 day class) and as a First Responder ABSOLUTELY YES I do sometimes carry more than the most UL most basic FKT. A BIG FAT NO to duct tape fixing everything!!!
Name something that requires first aid that you cant use duct tape. sucking chest wound? check. Splint a fracture? Check. tape over a guaze bandage? Check. Tourniquet? Check. Dorect pressure over a bleeding wound? Check.

TexasBob
06-26-2017, 09:24
Good question Buckeye bill. Being certified in Wilderness First Aid(16 hr, 2 day class) and as a First Responder ABSOLUTELY YES I do sometimes carry more than the most UL most basic FKT..............

I'm a retired Fire Department Paramedic who still holds an EMT license. During my thru my FAK weighed about 3 ounces. Bandaids, Neosporin, a safety pin, Tylenol, aspirin (for heart attack), Imodium AD, 3' of Leukotape was about all I carried.............

Question I have is do you guys carry exam gloves to limit expose to blood in case you need to help someone who is bleeding? I did for awhile but then I quit. I am curious as to your thoughts on this.

TTT
06-26-2017, 09:35
A common injury seems to be rocks swinging back from bear hangs and making contact with faces. Haven't heard of any other medical dilemmas apart from hypothermia and blisters.

BuckeyeBill
06-26-2017, 10:20
Question I have is do you guys carry exam gloves to limit expose to blood in case you need to help someone who is bleeding? I did for awhile but then I quit. I am curious as to your thoughts on this.

I usually have a pair or two stuffed in a Ziploc.

Dogwood
06-26-2017, 11:09
Egilbe, what I carry depends on where and whom I'm going... or if I'm going with others. Let me clarify. Duct tape in itself absolutely does not "fix" everything. I do carry a set of gloves solo backpacking.

Dogwood
06-26-2017, 11:10
And, definitely include gloves when with others.

BuckeyeBill
06-26-2017, 11:11
Name something that requires first aid that you cant use duct tape. sucking chest wound? check. Splint a fracture? Check. tape over a guaze bandage? Check. Tourniquet? Check. Dorect pressure over a bleeding wound? Check.

You have obviously never scene a skull that has been smashed on a rocks where there is a visible depression. You are not going to fix it with duct tape. I have also seen sliced arteries where someone was playing with their "Rambo" knife and s**t happened. Arteries need very hard direct pressure and/or pressure at a point where the artery is near a bone to stem the blood flow that you are not going to get from any type of tape. I have training as a paramedic and have taken the Wilderness First aid Course, Money well spent IMHO.

I have spoken to ER doctors about small suture kits and it was about a 50-50 split on carrying one. The doctors that said it is a good idea, because only you can judge the serious nature of the injury at the time. Even the ones that said no, did agree that there are areas that it might not be a bad idea if you are in areas that is far from rescue personnel. At this point in time I don't carry a suture kit, but I do have one in my reserve gear at home.

I can honestly say that I am not going to use just duct tape to fix a sucking chest wound. It requires a totally non-porous covering and while DT is strong, it is still somewhat porous. Now I may use it to tape the edges down. I have gotten into the habit of carrying climbers tape for blisters and other FA needs. It stays on you even in wet, sweaty and humid conditions. It is also thinner than duct tape.

Riocielo
06-26-2017, 15:50

Nitrile gloves are light as a feather and are good under your regular gloves to keep your hands warm, too. Having said that, I only carry a pair if I suspect cold days.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

BuckeyeBill
06-26-2017, 16:24
One other thing I wanted to mention. The use of tourniquets is a topic that most medical people try to shy away from. Unless you are fully trained in its use and know how and when to release pressure, you will probably do more damage than you will good. You can easily crush an artery destroy muscle tissue.

MuddyWaters
06-26-2017, 17:12
The core of wilderness first aid
Is stem bleeding, make victim comfortable, get help

We had a dr in our group that hiked in boy scouts. He brought and carried a 3 lb medical kit on hikes.

At first.

After a while he said "im not bringing the medical kit, so yall be careful and dont nobody get hurt"

OCDave
06-26-2017, 17:15
You have obviously never scene a skull that has been smashed on a rocks where there is a visible depression. You are not going to fix it with duct tape.....

Curious; what you are carrying in your pack that will "fix" this skull?

cmoulder
06-26-2017, 18:15
After a while he said "im not bringing the medical kit, so yall be careful and dont nobody get hurt"

^^^^^^^^This, lol!

Steri strips, Band-aids (a few small ones and a couple of big square ones), athletic tape, moleskin, neosporin, aspirin, ibuprophen, immodium,Tums

For me that covers about 99.44%

The other 0.56% I'll make up as I go along or punch that SOS button on the Spot and get my story straight while waiting. :)

I actually used the steri strips one time while mountain biking. Got a really ugly 3" gash in my knee, luckily no cut ligaments or whatever. Flushed it out with water and used a few steri strips to piece it all together until I could get properly stitched. Was able to ride about 10-12 miles back to the car and drive to the emergency room and they were still holding fine.

One Half
06-26-2017, 18:42

This.

If you've had the training you know what you will and won't be able to do in the woods and how to improvise the things you can help with. Anything more serious than a bandaid, moleskin or ibuprofen means you need to get the person off the trail and then your best bet is to have a cell phone to call help.

One Half
06-26-2017, 18:44
One other thing I wanted to mention. The use of tourniquets is a topic that most medical people try to shy away from. Unless you are fully trained in its use and know how and when to release pressure, you will probably do more damage than you will good. You can easily crush an artery destroy muscle tissue.

Update your training. Tourniquets do not get "released" until the person is in a hospital these days.

rocketsocks
06-26-2017, 20:19
I bring a small piece of Uranaphane and a card of photo sensitive paper in case I have to x-ray a toe :rolleyes:

Sarcasm the elf
06-26-2017, 20:55
Update your training. Tourniquets do not get "released" until the person is in a hospital these days.
Since you bring it up, it's probably worth reposting the Five Myths About Tourniquets article:

http://www.traumamonkeys.com/blog/2014/11/9/5-myths-about-tourniquets

ScareBear
06-27-2017, 04:00
I bring a small piece of Uranaphane and a card of photo sensitive paper in case I have to x-ray a toe :rolleyes:

Why bother? Ever seen a toe in a cast?

Duct tape it to the adjoining toe(s) or cut it off and burn it closed with some hot metal. It's just a toe....:cool:

rocketsocks
06-27-2017, 04:11
Why bother? Ever seen a toe in a cast?

Duct tape it to the adjoining toe(s) or cut it off and burn it closed with some hot metal. It's just a toe....:cool:yup, or just use thee ole stomp test, if ya yelp...it's prolly broken

nsherry61
06-27-2017, 09:57
Probably the most important and useful product (and heaviest first aid item) to include in ones emergency kit to help themselves or others is reliable communication . . . like a Spot or Delorme InReach type emergency communicator to call for help.

Don H
06-27-2017, 15:55
Sometimes I carry one pair.

I understand this post is in the AT section and that some of the following applies to more remote/rugged/dangerous settings.
Suturing being realistic is often dependent on the injury and the ETA to a facility than can have a physician suture you. Going on a 3 week Grand Canyon permit expedition? You'll likely find a couple of skin staplers, along with suture kits, scalpels, SAM splints and other emergency field gear. I've usually got a suture kit, with me on all my AT hikes. Weighs nothing. Same with super glue and steri-strips. I'm not going to activate my SPOT when I am 24 hours or more from a viable road crossing when I or my partner have an injury that can be dealt with immediately and then more professionally, if needed. Same with safety-pins. It sucks to have to use them on a wound, but sometimes, there isn't any good alternative, even if you are staying put until help arrives. Which, depending on where your are, can be quite a good while...
I think the hemostats weigh the most in my little kit...All of the above requires sufficient prior training and isn't field-craft to be learned on the fly. But, with sufficient prior training can be put to use when necessary or desired. I would not dismiss sutures, staplers, super-glue or the like as overkill or not needed.
YMMV
3 weeks in the Grand Canyon, if you need to be stitched up they'll fly you out. Any suturing done on scene will be removed in the ER for debridement anyway. But if the mule is carrying your FAC, then why not?

A small pair of hemostats might be good. You could clamp off an artery or pull a big splinter.

Our EMT protocols call for direct pressure then, if unsuccessful you go to the tourniquet. No more use of elevation and pressure points.

Yes, and write down the time applied.

BuckeyeBill
06-27-2017, 16:44

I was saying that duct tape alone will not fix it. I am also not fixing it, I am protecting the area from further infection by ample use of gauze pads and then wrapping it with a roll of gauze, because duct tape will not work with hair. You can then use a small piece of duct tape to hold the gauze in place. But with injuries like this you also need to check the eyes and level of consciousness. Slurred speech. This is information that will help the responding agencies know what they are facing. Again I am not playing doctor here, but I needed more than bandaides, mole skin and Duct tape to fix it.

This.

If you've had the training you know what you will and won't be able to do in the woods and how to improvise the things you can help with. Anything more serious than a bandaid, moleskin or ibuprofen means you need to get the person off the trail and then your best bet is to have a cell phone to call help.

I never said I would do things out side my training or could not improvise things in the woods. I also agree certain types of injuries require getting that person off the trail fast. However there are injuries that you shouldn't or can't move them without additional equipment that is not practical to carry on the trail (i.e. Backboards, Stokes Stretchers). You also are assuming that the person is still directly on the trail. I am also covering the person that took a header over the side of the trail.

I was asking in my original post that if you had training beyond band aides, mole skin and duct tape would you carry some additional items in your FAK.

Here again I agree with you. You mention the training end of things. I know because of my training. You also need to carry a proper tourniquet, as the days of belts and bandanas are past technology in First Aid Training. You also can't make a tourniquet from Duct Tape.

Since you bring it up, it's probably worth reposting the Five Myths About Tourniquets article:

http://www.traumamonkeys.com/blog/2014/11/9/5-myths-about-tourniquets

Nice article. It covers injuries from shootings in the military and active shooter situations quite well. It also dispels myths as well. It all comes down to training, knowing when and where a tourniquet should be used.

Have a nice day.:)

Traffic Jam
06-27-2017, 17:34
I have training beyond the norm but carry a small FAK. Instead of sutures, I carry absorbable hemostat, steri strips and benzoin, and the backpacking basics. At one time, I felt obligated to carry extra supplies but don't anymore (with the exception of aspirin for all you old guys). :)

My biggest strengths aren't the supplies but the medical knowledge and the ability to be in charge and lead during a crises.

Anyone can educate themselves on first aid and I recommend American Red Cross Emergency Medical Response and also Wilderness First Responder, How to Recognize, Treat, and Prevent Emergencies in the Backcountry. There are also several sites (i.e. Trauma Monkeys) with great information on how to manage trauma and emergencies.

TexasBob
06-27-2017, 18:01
At one time, I felt obligated to carry extra supplies but don't anymore (with the exception of aspirin for all you old guys). :)..........

As an old guy I thank you for your thoughtfulness. I carry aspirin for the other old guys. ;)

KDogg
06-27-2017, 19:13
Good grief. We are talking about a thru hike correct? A couple bandaids, a couple safety pins, a couple aspirin, a bandana and some duct tape. You can add and add all day long to your kit and still not have enough for all the scenarios you make up in your heads.

Dogwood
06-27-2017, 19:47
Good grief. We are talking about a thru hike correct? A couple bandaids, a couple safety pins, a couple aspirin, a bandana and some duct tape. You can add and add all day long to your kit and still not have enough for all the scenarios you make up in your heads.

I wasn't sure that we were talking only about an AT thru-hike. I don't carry a FAK based only for myself or based on likely AT situations. The AT is not the center of my hiking world nor is it the center of every medical emergency. That is why I stated:

Egilbe, what I carry depends on where and whom I'm going... or if I'm going with others. Let me clarify. Duct tape in itself absolutely does not "fix" everything. I do carry a set of gloves solo backpacking.

YES, to ScareBear's rec to carrying a set of hemostats and Traffic Jam's steri strips. An epi pen might be something I add to the FAK as well. Again my decisions about what's in my trail FAK depends on where and whom I'm going or if I'm going with others or leading a group.

Dogwood
06-27-2017, 19:51
It also depends on exactly what I'm involved. Are rafting/paddling, climbing, winter season, outside of the U.S., etc involved.

Dogwood
06-27-2017, 19:55
https://whiteblaze.net/forum/images/Eloquent/miscgreen/quote_icon.png Originally Posted by OCDave https://whiteblaze.net/forum/images/Eloquent/buttonsgreen/viewpost-right.png (https://whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?p=2156782#post2156782)

<!-- END TEMPLATE: bbcode_quote -->I was saying that duct tape alone will not fix it. I am also not fixing it, I am protecting the area from further infection by ample use of gauze pads and then wrapping it with a roll of gauze, because duct tape will not work with hair. You can then use a small piece of duct tape to hold the gauze in place. But with injuries like this you also need to check the eyes and level of consciousness. Slurred speech. This is information that will help the responding agencies know what they are facing. Again I am not playing doctor here, but I needed more than bandaides, mole skin and Duct tape to fix it.
<!-- BEGIN TEMPLATE: bbcode_quote -->
https://whiteblaze.net/forum/images/Eloquent/miscgreen/quote_icon.png Originally Posted by PennyPincher https://whiteblaze.net/forum/images/Eloquent/buttonsgreen/viewpost-right.png (https://whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?p=2156790#post2156790)
This.

<!-- END TEMPLATE: bbcode_quote -->I never said I would do things out side my training or could not improvise things in the woods. I also agree certain types of injuries require getting that person off the trail fast. However there are injuries that you shouldn't or can't move them without additional equipment that is not practical to carry on the trail (i.e. Backboards, Stokes Stretchers). You also are assuming that the person is still directly on the trail. I am also covering the person that took a header over the side of the trail.

I was asking in my original post that if you had training beyond band aides, mole skin and duct tape would you carry some additional items in your FAK.

https://whiteblaze.net/forum/images/Eloquent/miscgreen/quote_icon.png Originally Posted by PennyPincher https://whiteblaze.net/forum/images/Eloquent/buttonsgreen/viewpost-right.png (https://whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?p=2156791#post2156791)

<!-- END TEMPLATE: bbcode_quote -->Here again I agree with you. You mention the training end of things. I know because of my training. You also need to carry a proper tourniquet, as the days of belts and bandanas are past technology in First Aid Training. You also can't make a tourniquet from Duct Tape.

https://whiteblaze.net/forum/images/Eloquent/miscgreen/quote_icon.png Originally Posted by Sarcasm the elf https://whiteblaze.net/forum/images/Eloquent/buttonsgreen/viewpost-right.png (https://whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?p=2156808#post2156808)

http://www.traumamonkeys.com/blog/20...ut-tourniquets (http://www.traumamonkeys.com/blog/2014/11/9/5-myths-about-tourniquets)

<!-- END TEMPLATE: bbcode_quote -->Nice article. It covers injuries from shootings in the military and active shooter situations quite well. It also dispels myths as well. It all comes down to training, knowing when and where a tourniquet should be used.

Have a nice day.https://whiteblaze.net/forum/images/smilies/smile.gif

Nicely replied.

fiddlehead
06-27-2017, 20:44
I like to say I only carry duct tape and aspirin for my first aid kit.
But, looking in my small ditty bag in my pack, I also see: tiny tube of superglue, safety pins, dental floss, sewing kit.
I've needed the duct tape for cuts already, but the rest was just to fix gear that broke.

Years ago, my buddy had a substantial first kit on a trip we did around 5 of the 8,000 meter peaks in Nepal (Manasalu, Annapurnas, and Dhalaguiri)
When in a small village, a man cut his thumb pretty badly and my friend fixed him up.
The next morning there was a line outside of our small camp area with people with all kinds of ailments.
Mostly we gave them aspirin and told them to rest.

Traffic Jam
06-27-2017, 21:10
YES, to ScareBear's rec to carrying a set of hemostats and Traffic Jam's steri strips. An epi pen might be something I add to the FAK as well. Again my decisions about what's in my trail FAK depends on where and whom I'm going or if I'm going with others or leading a group.

In my exerience, steri strips aren't worth crap without some sort of "glue", thus the benzoin.

One Half
06-27-2017, 22:54
Well, since the thread is in the AT section of this forum, I answered in relation to hiking the AT.

BuckeyeBill
06-28-2017, 00:52
Well, since the thread is in the AT section of this forum, I answered in relation to hiking the AT.

I never meant anything personal in my reply. You brought up several valid points, that all could be pretty much with one word; Training.

While I am not properly trained to do, if I had a big gash that would normally require stitches, I would break out the sewing kit and stitch myself up if I could reach it. If I couldn't reach it, I would kindly ask someone else to do it. Please no Rambo remarks, that would be just plain stupid. Again nothing personal towards anyone.

hikehunter
06-28-2017, 01:18
I have been thru the WFR training. I have done the BoyScout Leader thing. Somewhere in the middle is where I stand. I have 2 pair non-laytex gloves with what many hikers would thinks is too much first aid stuff. I have made 4 different !st aid packs that I carry, on different types of hikes. I belive in taking care of my own problems and helping with others.
For my LASHER treks I carry a .3 lbs first aid kit. I can take care of all the mundane crape and many of the more crazy things. Get help ASAP. Is the best 1st aid. The mind is the best weapon in any self defence. 1st aid is 1st aid. 2nd aid is where the medics come in. 2nd/3rd aid is the doctor in the ER.
In the woods it is not always needed to be a trained Doctor. Get the subject stable to the point available and get help.
Most out back 1st aid is minor cuts, blisters and twisted joints, etc. If it is major trauma then the story changes. The major trauma does not happen all the time. The helpers must remain calm and have a plan to get help ASAP. CPR training needs to be required every year in school from age 9 to 18 in this country. Just think how that would better the world we live in.

Have Fun & Hike Safe (HFHS)

Just Bill
06-28-2017, 08:57
My two favorite quotes on the subject sum up my feelings.

Do I bring all of the items which I have listed in the Wilderness Medical Kit Modules in Appendix A? Yes! And No! It depends.
If hiking the Appalachian Trail I would carry a few pieces of Spenco 2nd Skin and tape, ibuprofen, Imodium, and possibly a decongestant. The rest of my load would be food and the other direct necessities of life, certainly not first aid items.
William W. Forgey, M.D., "Wilderness Medicine, 4th Edition"

In many accidents a stimulant is required. Don't carry whiskey- if you don't drink it up yourself the first time you feel bad, then someone will surely steal it. For the camp medical kit, get a bottle of pure grain alcohol. Put a fake label on it- "Antiseptic-Poison"- with a death's-head that even a savage will understand.
Uncle Horace

DLP
06-28-2017, 12:15
I was an EMT outside of SEKI in my 20's.

Bandaids, Neosporin, 3 safety pins (mostly for hanging laundry off my backpack or in trees), needle, ibuprofen, aspirin, 1' of Leukotape, I'm also fond of Nexa Absolutely waterproof tape. It isn't absolutely water proof for multiple stream crossing or large mile days. It doesn't stick like Leukotape - which sometimes is a plus. But it is stretchy and sticks pretty well and doesn't take some of your skin off when you remove it. And I bought a lot of it on Amazon, so I have it. I also take a 2" chunk of foam emery-board to work on calluses.

I've never actually used the bandaids but I occasionally give one away to a day hiking toddler with a scraped knee.

I also carry a SPOT, but that is more of a 1/2 pound sleeping pill so that my family can sleep better when I'm out alone. If your family can sleep at night, I don't recommend that you carry one if you are on popular trails.

I've tried using duct tape for blisters and it didn't work for me.

I also practice injury prevention:

Falling is probably the biggest cause of death and injury in the backcountry. I move with care and intention after taking a couple of bad falls. I don't multitask while walking (taking photos, eating, blowing nose, taking in views, etc. :) ). My worst fall was in Yosemite and I was looking at the views and a tree root reached up and grabbed my foot. (We all have different abilities and others are able to video, and eat, etc, while walking. It would appear that I'm unable to walk and chew gum at the same time.)

I stop and rest and eat when needed. I know my own limits and try and stick to them.

I keep my feet super clean so that I don't get blisters.

I wear long sleeves and pants so that I don't get sunburned, poison oak and to deter mosquitos and ticks.

I wash my hands often.

And I'm careful driving to and from trailheads. Statistically, driving is the most dangerous part of a hike for most of us.;)

DLP
06-28-2017, 12:25
PS... I've done CPR. It isn't like TV.

CPR might be good on a kid or young person who has drown.

CPR on older people... ugh. Not good. I think that I'm getting to the age... if I have a heart attack... I don't want CPR, thank you.

But most people will never need to do it and the training is good.

egilbe
06-28-2017, 15:17
Broken ribs hurt

BuckeyeBill
06-28-2017, 15:51
Broken ribs hurt

Yes they do hurt, as does a cracked sternum.

Tipi Walter
06-28-2017, 16:23
I think the best thing you could have in your first aid kit if you're backpacking the Appalachians is an empty place in your pack where YOU LEFT YOUR KNIFE AND HATCHET AT HOME. Most serious injuries on the trail are due to these two "tools" more than anything else.

Falls and slips account for broken bones on occasion, or broken toes and fingers. Stumpknocker I believe broke his arm coming down an icy trail years ago. A broken bone would require a trip-ending extraction. Set it yourself and walk crippled for the rest of your life??

Hornets always stir up alot of fun on the trail---and if you're allergic bring an epi-pen etc. Benadryl.

Rattlesnakes are best seen and not seen too late.

Falling trees (common in the Southeast) and heavy limbs will also ruin a trip, not to mention a nice tent. What's the best first aid for a 6,000 lb tree trunk on your chest?

Infections like boils or tick bites can suck.

I bring some fancy crown glue gotten from my DDS and when mixed together will replace your tooth crown in an emergency. Important info. A toothache on a trip can really suck but can be endured for a couple weeks until you get out unless you want to try the old Indian trick of a sharp stick against the base of the tooth and a rock.

My kit is minimal (yippee, I'm an Ultralighter in this regard) and so there's this stuff---
** Vit E oil for sores, cuts, raw nose.
** Bandaids of course.
** DDS pain meds for severe pains. (5 years old and probably useless).
** A small tube of eye sty cream---Errant bugs always seem to enter the eyeball at the worst time and stay lodged in for 3 days---sty cream really alleviates the irritation.
** Lip balm is very good to help when things go very south. Just having it around seems to placate the distressed heart. Smear some on your lips and you'll feel better.
** A colorful vocabulary of curse words is very useful for most emergency events, especially yellow jacket swarms and stings.

BuckeyeBill
06-28-2017, 16:33
I still wonder why some people hike with a set of earbuds jammed in their ears. It takes away the great sounds of nature itself, but also the warning sounds of trees falling, hornets buzzing around, rattlesnakes sunning themselves on the trail and bear stomping through the woods. I am already hard of hearing and wear aides to boost the noise level. You can d*nm sure bet that there are sounds I really want to hear before something happens.

Tipi Walter
06-28-2017, 16:40
I still wonder why some people hike with a set of earbuds jammed in their ears. It takes away the great sounds of nature itself, but also the warning sounds of trees falling, hornets buzzing around, rattlesnakes sunning themselves on the trail and bear stomping through the woods. I am already hard of hearing and wear aides to boost the noise level. You can d*nm sure bet that there are sounds I really want to hear before something happens.

I have a small sangean radio with headphones and worn on occasion especially on long roadwalks but NEVER on rattlesnake-strewn trails. Winter is okay, otherwise . . .

Traffic Jam
06-29-2017, 09:54
I used to carry suture but decided that hikers are too nasty and if the wound didn't kill 'em, the infection will.

BuckeyeBill
06-29-2017, 11:06
I have a small sangean radio with headphones and worn on occasion especially on long roadwalks but NEVER on rattlesnake-strewn trails. Winter is okay, otherwise . . .

Road walking would be when I would want to hear the most. Stupid drivers scare the H**L out of me.

BuckeyeBill
06-29-2017, 11:11
I used to carry suture but decided that hikers are too nasty and if the wound didn't kill 'em, the infection will.

I have a small suture kit as well, but don't carry it. Sewing kit works just as well. If you carry a small bottle of 190 proof grain alcohol, pour some over the wound. It will kill just about anything. Besides hearing the person scream, it helps study your hands to do the clean up. If you are really nice you can give some to the other person. to kill his pain.

Riocielo
04-20-2018, 04:12
Duct tape fixes everything.My husband, who adamantly refuses to seek medical attention for most things, came to show me the hole he had accidentally drilled in his palm. The first words out of his mouth were "I am not going to the ER."

A little super-glue and some duct tape and he was all back together. It healed well without even a scar. :)

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

maindigs
04-20-2018, 15:19
Good tips. If someone has a bee allergy, an EpiPen can save a life.

double d
04-24-2018, 06:32
Two points I could make that have helped me: 1. take a wilderness first aid class every few years (REI has them) and 2. personalize your kit for your needs (such as an EpiPen if needed in your kit). Keep kit small, and useful. No need for a military style IFAK to carry with you. All good, great discussion.