PDA

View Full Version : Section hike HELP! North Georgia/NC

BG-hiker270
06-27-2017, 10:27
First time poster as I just found this awesome site. Greatly appreciate any advice/help.

I have next week off and planning on hiking a section next week(July 1 - 7). I've hiked up to Unicoi Gap and would like to continue from that point and go to Winding Stair Gap(57ish miles). What is the parking like at Winding Stair? Safe to leave a vehicle there for 5 days? Or should I park at Nantahala Outdoor Center and shuttle to Dicks Creek Gap. This would be closer to 70 miles and start to put me in a bind for time as well as having to go back to hit the Unicoi to Dicks Creek section at another time.

Another concern is how cool will it be at night? I have a Eno Sub7 hammock. Should I use a sleeping pad? I have a 20* Kelty sleeping bag.

Thanks in advance.

soumodeler
06-27-2017, 12:32
There have been cases of vandalism at Winding Stair Gap within the last year or so. NOC is probably a little safer for parking in my opinion.

Slo-go'en
06-27-2017, 13:04
It's got to be really hot out not to use a pad in a hammock. Your body weight crushes the insulation in the sleeping bag, so it adds little or nothing. Any breeze can suck the heat right out of you. It would be better to have the pad and not need it then need it and not have it.

daddytwosticks
06-27-2017, 16:03
I've also heard about vandalism at WSG. Five days is a long time. I'd leave the car in Franklin somewhere or leave it at the NOC and end the hike there. Great place to end an adventure. If you are in a time bind, start at Dick's Creek Gap or Deep Gap and end at the NOC. Have fun. :)

Uncle Joe
06-27-2017, 16:15
I've found I got cold on my backside in August at Gooch Gap in my hammock without a pad. I was surprised. So I would pad it myself. Maybe reflectix at the least.

Definitely wouldn't park that long at WS. NOC is a better choice. I think they have a parking lot across the street and you can get a parking pass from the general store. You might consider Rock Gap which is just before WSG but it only has room for a few cars. Another alternate would be the Backcountry Kiosk at Standing Indian Campground.

map man
06-27-2017, 19:01
The ATC lists vandalism alerts at individual trailheads in it's master list of AT shuttlers. Winding Stair Gap was listed as having had recent vandalism problems when I hiked in that area in 2010 but by the time I did a section hike in the area in 2016 it was no longer listed (it still isn't). So I left my vehicle there for eight days in May 2016 while I hiked from Amicalola Falls State Park to Winding Stair. I had no problems.

Yes, there are no guarantees in life, but that was my experience.

bushwhacker88
06-27-2017, 20:17
I would consider Rock Gap or the Standing Indian backcountry kiosk too I believe. Theres plenty of parking at the kiosk.

Uncle Joe
06-27-2017, 22:11
And if you park at the kiosk it's only a little over a mile back on the road to Rock Gap where you can start the AT.

JPritch
06-28-2017, 18:47
I'm leaving my vehicle at Winding Stair this Saturday night. I guess we'll see! Good to know there's gonna be some other folks out on this section this weekend. Love meeting new folks on the trail.

Harrison Bergeron
06-28-2017, 19:08
Leave your car at the Budget Inn and get a shuttle to the trail and back. The owner, Ron Haven, specializes in serving hikers. He doesn't run a regular shuttle to the trail head this late in the year, but they could hook you up. In fact, probably any of the hotels in Franklin could help you out. But at the Budget Inn, the live-in manager would actually watch your car. So tip accordingly.

REB
07-03-2017, 06:28
Leave your car at the Budget Inn and get a shuttle to the trail and back. The owner, Ron Haven, specializes in serving hikers. He doesn't run a regular shuttle to the trail head this late in the year, but they could hook you up. In fact, probably any of the hotels in Franklin could help you out. But at the Budget Inn, the live-in manager would actually watch your car. So tip accordingly.

Great advice to leave your car in Franklin. That's exactly what I did. I left my car at Microtel Inn and called David Waters. Great shuttler.