PDA

View Full Version : Mahoosucs after September?

illabelle
06-28-2017, 13:53
One of these days we'll hike the Mahoosucs, probably somewhere between early July and mid September ... but I was wondering about late September or even October/November. When does the area become too dangerous for Southerners who don't own and have never used snowshoes, microspikes, or crampons? Not too concerned about temperature - cold is cold. Concern is being unprepared for a sheet of ice on Mahoosuc Arm or 18" of snow in the Notch.

peakbagger
06-28-2017, 14:03
The weather usually takes a major dip in late september/early october with possible overnight dusting of snow (turning to ice) possible. If it happens, it melts off once the sun is up. Substantial snow usually holds off until November and lately December. That said there can be some nice weather in early October, sunny during the day but at nights it can get crisp. I find that time of year great for dayhikes as if the weather is bad it usually swaps over to nice pretty quick. FYI this is during the leaf season and local accommodations can be tight. Only down side is the leaf drop on the trail can make footing a bit less secure.

Lot to be said for setting up a couple of overnights supported by a car shuttle with a day or two margin in there to avoid nasty weather.

illabelle
06-28-2017, 19:06
The weather usually takes a major dip in late september/early october with possible overnight dusting of snow (turning to ice) possible. If it happens, it melts off once the sun is up. Substantial snow usually holds off until November and lately December. That said there can be some nice weather in early October, sunny during the day but at nights it can get crisp. I find that time of year great for dayhikes as if the weather is bad it usually swaps over to nice pretty quick. FYI this is during the leaf season and local accommodations can be tight. Only down side is the leaf drop on the trail can make footing a bit less secure.

Lot to be said for setting up a couple of overnights supported by a car shuttle with a day or two margin in there to avoid nasty weather.

Thank you, peakbagger. So far we've planned our Maine trips around Labor Day, which can still be a little warm, still a few bugs out. The Mahoosucs will be our final AT section. I want it to be memorable and enjoyable, but still within our skill level. With your feedback I feel comfortable moving this trip a few weeks later. Our first AT section was for our anniversary (Nov 3) in 2010. I'm toying with the idea of finishing Nov 3, 2020. Realistically, I should probably stick with October, but I have time to think on it...

Heliotrope
06-28-2017, 23:19
Definitely stick to mid October and earlier. By early November it can get brutal. Even down here in Acadia it feels wintery by then. Though it can be mild there is no guarantee.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rafe
06-28-2017, 23:32
I've had occasional fine, summer-like weather in that area in October, but just as likely to be cold and raw. You just never know. I wouldn't worry much about snow, but I'd be prepared for cold rain, and night time temps, even down at low altitudes, around 40F or even cooler.

Slo-go'en
06-28-2017, 23:53
Your usually okay until Columbus day weekend. That's my rule of thumb for the cut off point between late fall and early winter. After that and it's all about timing. The weather is changing every 3 to 5 days and is always stormy in the transition. While there can be some pretty nice days into early November, you have to time it just right.

There is a significant decrease in the amount of evening sun between early Oct and early Nov. It can get dark very early on the east side of the ridge or in the notches. Night hiking really slows you down and should be avoided. That said I always seem to do the last mile in the dark that time of year.

illabelle
06-29-2017, 05:33
Definitely stick to mid October and earlier. By early November it can get brutal. Even down here in Acadia it feels wintery by then. Though it can be mild there is no guarantee.

I've had occasional fine, summer-like weather in that area in October, but just as likely to be cold and raw. You just never know. I wouldn't worry much about snow, but I'd be prepared for cold rain, and night time temps, even down at low altitudes, around 40F or even cooler.
Brutal? Cold and raw? No thanks. 40F with sunshine is okay. With cold rain? Nope. We were blessed with perfect weather on Katahdin last year in late August, and near perfect in the Whites in early July. That's probably more than our share of good luck.

Your usually okay until Columbus day weekend. That's my rule of thumb for the cut off point between late fall and early winter. After that and it's all about timing. The weather is changing every 3 to 5 days and is always stormy in the transition. While there can be some pretty nice days into early November, you have to time it just right.
There is a significant decrease in the amount of evening sun between early Oct and early Nov. It can get dark very early on the east side of the ridge or in the notches. Night hiking really slows you down and should be avoided. That said I always seem to do the last mile in the dark that time of year.
Excellent point about the sunlight, one that hadn't occurred to me. We'll probably take our sweet time aiming to get only from one lean-to to the next. For this trip we want to enjoy just being out there, not focused on the miles, but just seeing and hearing and feeling and absorbing. Night hiking in rough terrain is definitely not on my to-do list. By dusk I wanna be fed and snug.

I appreciate the sound advice from local people who know the area and respect its difficulties. Thank you all! We will plan this trip no later than the first week of October, and probably will stick with mid to late September.

peakbagger
06-29-2017, 09:45
Good plan, overnights in October can really be pushing it. Anything less than 60 degrees with rain is hypothermia weather.

illabelle
06-29-2017, 10:07
Good plan, overnights in October can really be pushing it. Anything less than 60 degrees with rain is hypothermia weather.

The only temperatures where rain is good is in the 80s and 90s, and that's assuming the rain is not accompanied by a cold front bringing a rush of chilliness. A good rain shower when you're covered in sweat is refreshing! My favorite hiking is 40s-50s with sunshine, or 50s-60s with clouds and a breeze. Nighttime temps in the teens and 20s are okay. I have the window open by my bed at least a little bit almost all winter. Warm blanket, fresh cool air to breathe. Aaaah!