PDA

View Full Version : 7 days next week...what southern section do you recommend?

freekncreekn
06-28-2017, 14:54
So I know this type of question gets asked quite a bit here, but I would love to hear thoughts around which 70ish mile section I should hit next week. Here is what I am considering:

1) Springer to Dick's Creek (have not done much at all on the N GA AT)
2) Winding Stair Gap to Fontana (have done many 1-3 night trips along this section but all have been many years ago)
3) Somewhere between the northern boundary of GSMNP and VA line (have done areas around Hot Springs and Roan before, but also many years ago)

If you had one week to spend anywhere between Springer and VA, where would it be and why? I live in eastern TN and have shuttle already taken care of for pick up and drop off. I've backpacked extensively through southwestern VA in recent years, so want to hit areas of the trail that I've never been on or haven't been to in a while. I really don't want to deal with Smokies permit, so I'm not considering it. As a dad with 3 kids, I get to do a lot of 1-2 nighters every year with them, but haven't had this opportunity in many years to take a full week solo. So want to take full advantage and maximize all the stuff that we love about backpacking: overlooks, vistas, solitude, etc etc.

I'll be in a hammock and am not planning on a resupply along the way.

Recommendations? Any place else I should consider?

Thanks in advance for entertaining this question yet again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

soumodeler
06-28-2017, 15:15
I would say do option 3, including Roan.

illabelle
06-28-2017, 15:19
"Haven't had opportunity in many years to take a full week solo", and you're going to spend it close to home? If I were in your shoes, I'd fly north and do half of Vermont, or get a taste of NH/ME. Save the stuff nearby for those 1-2 nighters.

Tennessee Viking
06-28-2017, 15:33
DavGap to Damascus is a bit more kid friendly I think. There has been some relos for Roan, Unaka, and Flint Mtn areas.

Tipi Walter
06-28-2017, 15:48
I wouldn't do anything on the AT and instead for 7 days I'd get a map of the Big Frog wilderness and do every trail on different loops---As Cleveland TN is very close to this area. You could even dip down into the Cohuttas for some added adventures. Just carry a week's worth of food and have fun.

freekncreekn
06-28-2017, 17:07
"Haven't had opportunity in many years to take a full week solo", and you're going to spend it close to home? If I were in your shoes, I'd fly north and do half of Vermont, or get a taste of NH/ME. Save the stuff nearby for those 1-2 nighters.

Thanks for the feedback and I do understand your logic. But, if I'm flying anywhere I'm flying west (which I actually considered but with it being so early in the season and for the sake of simplifying logistics, I've decided to stay southern AT). I have done the NH Whites many years ago and it is a special place. Hope to get back one day, but don't think it will be next week unfortunately.

I wouldn't do anything on the AT and instead for 7 days I'd get a map of the Big Frog wilderness and do every trail on different loops---As Cleveland TN is very close to this area. You could even dip down into the Cohuttas for some added adventures. Just carry a week's worth of food and have fun.

Thanks for the feedback, Tipi. I've already spent quite a lot of time in Big Frog, Citico, and Slickrock over the years (and parts of Cohutta too) and enjoy each one for different reasons. Those - especially Slickrock - tend to be the destination for a lot of my weekend/long weekend trips (perhaps sometime my kids and I will pass you on the trail up there). But, if I'm not going to venture out west, I am fairly set on an AT section this go round.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

freekncreekn
06-28-2017, 17:10
I would say do option 3, including Roan.

What in particular do you prefer in that section over southern Natahala or Georgia? It's been a long time since I've been through Roan. But I'd love to do it again.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

soumodeler
06-28-2017, 17:17
I have hiked as far north as Roan, and that area has some of the best scenery in my opinion. I may be slightly biased against GA since I see it so often though!