PDA

View Full Version : inline water bladder filter ?

shelb
06-29-2017, 09:21
I realize this has been posted before, but it appears the most recent post is 4 years old....

I am due for a new bladder before my 200 mile-ish hike next month (old Deuter started leaking last weekend after serving me well for 8 years). I have both Sawyers and am thinking of going with an inline system - perhaps, the 2L Osprey or Platypus.

Anyone - Pros and Cons with inline systems?

Thanks!!!!

tarditi
06-29-2017, 10:09
I would be concerned about line resistance and fouling my camelback, so I just filter before I put it in the bladder.

Maineiac64
06-29-2017, 10:20
It seems that unless you are a speed freak like Anish better to just fill clean water into bladder. I have skipped bladder unless there are infrequent water spots or its really hot.

PaulWorksHard
06-29-2017, 10:41
I used an in line sawyer mini for my thru hike and continue to use it. I kept my platypus bladder laying on its side inside my pack, on the top. The filter was in-line in the pack as well.

CONS:
1) Having to take off pack and open it to refill bladder.
2) Forgetting to tighten the drink tube cap to bladder and having it leak in my pack (only happens once and never again!)
3) Not being sure exactly how much is left in bladder without taking off and opening pack.

PROS:
1) Not having to sit around squeezing which could add up to a lot of time on a 6 liter day.
2) Drink tube allow you to control your hydration level much more easily.
3) Drink tube allows hands free drinking.

In the end, it all comes down to personal preference. I much prefer a drink tube to a bottle. I don't like being forced to squeeze when I want to refill my platypus. Given those preference, it seemed my choice was obvious.

soumodeler
06-29-2017, 10:54
I used to have the Squeeze inline with a platypus bladder and ended up hating it. It is harder to fill without a piped source, you have to remove the filter to backflush, and it does reduce flow to where I sometimes had problems getting water through it. Also, don't forget to keep it from freezing if you hike in colder months.

However, this was before Sawyer came out with their quick attach system, so if that works as advertised, it might eliminate my #1 and #2 complaints above.

shelb
06-29-2017, 11:38
In the end, it all comes down to personal preference. I much prefer a drink tube to a bottle. I don't like being forced to squeeze when I want to refill my platypus. Given those preference, it seemed my choice was obvious.

Great info, Paul! I always use a bladder, so most of the cons won't affect me after I experience the one and done leaking!

harder to fill without a piped source, you have to remove the filter to backflush, and it does reduce flow to where I sometimes had problems getting water through it. Also, don't forget to keep it from freezing if you hike in colder months.

Soumodeler: thanks for this input. Freezing won't be an issue as I don't hike in the winter. Based on this info, it appears I should still carry a smart bottle in case I want to filter that way. Plus, I am thinking it would be good to backflush each evening in camp, so I don't have to mess with the flow hiking. It doesn't hurt to backflush daily, does it?

However, this was before Sawyer came out with their quick attach system, so if that works as advertised, it might eliminate my #1 and #2 complaints above.

TKE402
06-29-2017, 11:45
I have the regular sized Sawyer inline filter. I cut my line and used quick attachments. This allows some flexibility when running the hose through stuff. I have the bladder in a ziplock then that goes into my pack sleeve. The ziplock acts as a way to protect against leaks but also doubles as my laundry bag when I wash my clothes (castile soap, a couple of bleach drops, shake it up and let it sit for a while in camp). I also have a 16 ounce disposable water bottle with the top cut off. This acts as a scooper when I need water from a puddle. Additionally I have a bandanna that I cover the top of my bladder with when I'm filling it to keep large particles from it. That rounds out my water kit.

Pros: Handsfree drinking while walking
I hang my bag while in camp and squirt water on me for a make shift shower and I also use it to wash dishes.
Large amount of water storage capacity (3L) and small footprint especially when empty.

Cons: -I don't know how much water is left in the bag. I really hate this!
-Having to take off my bag to fill up.
-Not able to use drink mixes and powder. To allow this I sometimes carry a small Gatorage bottle on my hip. If i'm in the mood for an ice tea, I'll take the water from the bladder (need to hang it first) into the bottle then add my powders to the bottle.

So as you can see there are definitely Cons to using a bladder. I may do a hike with the attached Sawyer/Smartwater setup to see if it's better.

egilbe
06-29-2017, 12:48
Biggest concern I found was not knowing how much water is left in a bladder. I've run out, once, on a hike and switched to bottles. I do like the ability to chug a liter of water, rather than sipping on a hose. Bladders seemed like a good idea to me, until I actually used one.

BuckeyeBill
06-29-2017, 16:14
I have a hydration bladder and a squeeze filter. I use Sawyer's Fast Fill Adapter (https://www.rei.com/product/858765/sawyer-fast-fill-hydration-pack-adapter-kit). You can tank up at the water source, fill your bladder and have a liter or two in reserve.

shelb
06-30-2017, 01:33
I have a hydration bladder and a squeeze filter. I use Sawyer's Fast Fill Adapter (https://www.rei.com/product/858765/sawyer-fast-fill-hydration-pack-adapter-kit). You can tank up at the water source, fill your bladder and have a liter or two in reserve.

Will this work with the Mini? What is the rest of your water system involve? (Platypus, etc.)

Jayne
06-30-2017, 10:44
When I was using a bladder I found it most convenient to add a quick disconnect on the outside of the pack, with the female end running to the bladder. I then just added a male connector to the output of my gravity works filter hose and refilled straight from the filter. Takes 2-3 minutes. Putting contaminated water in your bladder just seems like a great way to culture a nice collection of spores mold and fungus in your pack.

BuckeyeBill
06-30-2017, 11:43
Will this work with the Mini? What is the rest of your water system involve? (Platypus, etc.)

Yes, I'm sure it will as the adapter only involves the hose size, not what you are connecting. I don't leave the filter connected, I reconnect a bite valve after filtering. That way I can carry a couple liters of unfiltered water and refill my bladder when needed. Of course you can do what ever you want.