PDA

View Full Version : Water Flavoring Packets and the Affects on Water Filters

NeedTrailName
06-29-2017, 15:27
Hello,

I have a Sawyer Mini and I would like to use a flavoring power occasionally in my water (just to change things up every now and then). My only concern is how the water filter would be affected.

Obviously, I would make sure that the powder/flavoring is fully dissolved before running it through the filter, but I am sure that this increases the frequency at which the filter needs to be back-flushed.

Just wondering if anyone has any experience in this realm before I go out for a long weekend and try it.

Thanks!!

Deadeye
06-29-2017, 15:46
Add powders, flavors, whatever else AFTER you filter (just like the directions tell you) and you'll be all set.

Tennessee Viking
06-29-2017, 16:09
Any flavoring powders added to pre-filtered water would contaminate any filter and cause it to clog/fail.

Odd Man Out
06-29-2017, 16:42
If it contains only small molecules, it should no clog the filter, per se. However I would worry about microbial contamination. Critters growing in the filter would concern me and be a source of clogging.

Dogwood
06-29-2017, 17:49
Any flavoring powders added to pre-filtered water would contaminate any filter and cause it to clog/fail.

Agree! Add your flavorings, powder, whatever AFTER filtering your water. No need to put that stuff through a filter. Actually, some of these things might interfere with filtering water.

Maineiac64
06-29-2017, 20:47
Ive got a trail name for you, "afterthought"

Deadeye
06-29-2017, 21:10
Ive got a trail name for you, "afterthought"

"Backflush"

ScareBear
06-29-2017, 21:48
1st post troll gets award for most legit responses...

Trail name becomes "winner"...

NeedTrailName
06-30-2017, 08:56
I guess drinking straight from a smart water bottle with a filter attached isn't an option when flavoring the water with a 'powdery' substance. I'll just stick with MiO!

lonehiker
06-30-2017, 09:01
I guess drinking straight from a smart water bottle with a filter attached isn't an option when flavoring the water with a 'powdery' substance. I'll just stick with MiO!

I wouldn't put anything except water through a filter.

NeedTrailName
06-30-2017, 09:02
Thanks!

I'll just stick to MiO, or I'll buy a water bladder of some sort.

TTT
06-30-2017, 09:17
Get yourself this filter

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P7ZfVPTh4ic

Another Kevin
06-30-2017, 15:23
If you use any kind of halogen-based water treatment (Aqua Mira, Polar Pure, ... most of the chemical treatments), you need to wait for the full contact time before you add any flavoring. Most flavoring powders contain a chelating agent like citric acid or an antioxidant like Vitamin C, and will neutralize the chlorine or iodine that's treating the water. (That's why they're so good at killing the taste of chlorine or iodine).

ScareBear
06-30-2017, 17:51

No, it is NOT an option.

To give you an idea of what a filter does, the FirstNeedDeluxeXLE filter/purifier comes with some blue food dye. To test the integrity of the filter, you put drops of the dye in a glass of water until a good blue color. Then filter. If the water isn't perfectly clear with no trace of blue, the filter is bad.

If that doesn't tell you everything you need to know about a .1 or sub .1 micron filter, then I don't know what to say...

In other words, if you add Mio and your water comes out of the filter colored, your filter is f'd.

KDogg
06-30-2017, 19:35
While this may turn your filter the color of the mix and seem like something you don't want to do, I'm not sure that it would cause any problems. Assuming that the drink mix completely dissolves, there should be no particles in it any bigger than the pores of the filter. This is why when you filter that nasty beaver pond water it is still yellow and tastes like crap. The Sawyer is filtering out microbes, not stuff dissolved in the water and a properly dissolved drink mix should not clog your filter.

lonehiker
07-01-2017, 11:28
No, it is NOT an option.

To give you an idea of what a filter does, the FirstNeedDeluxeXLE filter/purifier comes with some blue food dye. To test the integrity of the filter, you put drops of the dye in a glass of water until a good blue color. Then filter. If the water isn't perfectly clear with no trace of blue, the filter is bad.

If that doesn't tell you everything you need to know about a .1 or sub .1 micron filter, then I don't know what to say...

In other words, if you add Mio and your water comes out of the filter colored, your filter is f'd.

Need to clarify that the blue dye test does not apply to the Sawyer filters. There is no way that a user can determine the integrity of the Sawyer filters. This information came direct from Sawyer's customer service when I called them about an issue a few years ago. As an aside, would say that I used General Ecology filters for many years (20?) and in my opinion they are the best filters on the market. But, I use the Sawyer because of size and weight advantages.

Dogwood
07-01-2017, 11:46
Get yourself this filter

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P7ZfVPTh4ic

Strange opening pic. Guy looks like that filter isn't working as well as he thinks it is. Seems he's getting a little too much from the "lemonade." yellow