PDA

View Full Version : Section hiking Massachusetts

Ethesis
06-29-2017, 18:21
I've gotten a lot of data but not as much information as I'd like on that ~90 mile stretch.

Seems very pretty and with a lot of available shekters and resupply.

Even a few shuttles.

I am looking for suggestions about the best start and stop access, best recommendations of how to get there (or should I just Uber it?) and other recommendations to go with the "stuff@ I was able to find.

illabelle
06-29-2017, 20:50
We did most of Mass three years ago, finished it up last month. There's a bus system that runs up and down the main road paralleling the AT. We had a motel in North Adams, took the bus to Cheshire, and slacked NOBO over Greylock (north end of it is pretty steep, easier to go down). Next day took bus back to Cheshire (with all our gear) and backpacked south from there. Dave Ackerman in North Adams shuttled us back and forth to Albany airport for a reasonable price. When we got to Great Barrington a few days later we took a bus to another bus to another bus back to North Adams, took a shower at the Y where Dave picked us up.
Last month we used Hudson at Bearded Woods Hostel to shuttle us to Great Barrington to finish up Mass and continue into CT and NY.

Contact info on the ATC shuttle list.

Slo-go'en
06-29-2017, 21:11
There is bus service from Boston which goes to and from Lee, MA and Williamstown, MA. From Lee you should be able to use the local bus to get a bit farther south, at least to Great Barrington. But you really want to start at Salisbury, CT because the two best sections of MA is right around the CT/MA line and the MA/VT line. Getting to Salisbury will likely require a shuttle. From Great Barrington, Salisbury would be like a 45 minute ride by car.

sore ankle
06-30-2017, 07:06
I hiked MA last year with a friend. The hiking is relatively easy with two nice views--Mt. Greylock in the north and Mt. Everett in the south. If it works with your schedule, plan to camp in Tom Levardi's yard when you get to Dalton. He is a great guy, his house is right on the trail, and there is an ice cream parlor about 200 yards away. We also stayed at the Upper Goose Pond cabin (good pancakes for breakfast and a beautiful spot) and the Catholic church in Cheshire. Dave Ackerson shuttled us and is highly recommended.

Ethesis
07-01-2017, 00:43
Thank you.

That helps and explains.

Sarcasm the elf
07-01-2017, 00:56
There is bus service from Boston which goes to and from Lee, MA and Williamstown, MA. From Lee you should be able to use the local bus to get a bit farther south, at least to Great Barrington. But you really want to start at Salisbury, CT because the two best sections of MA is right around the CT/MA line and the MA/VT line. Getting to Salisbury will likely require a shuttle. From Great Barrington, Salisbury would be like a 45 minute ride by car.

I second the recommendation to start from Salisbury CT if possible. The section from bear mountain CT, through Sage's Ravine and up to Mt. Everett is some of the nicest hiking in all of Southern New England.

Ethesis
07-02-2017, 10:16
I second the recommendation to start from Salisbury CT if possible. The section from bear mountain CT, through Sage's Ravine and up to Mt. Everett is some of the nicest hiking in all of Southern New England.

Thank you.

I am not wedded to a specific over a great hike with my wife.

Ethesis
07-02-2017, 19:41
These are the best links I could find for that section:

https://www.facebook.com/stephen.r.marsh/posts/10159026529940523

Ethesis
07-03-2017, 19:50
If anyone has a better link I'd love it.