PDA

View Full Version : Campsites at swimming holes

hikernutcasey
06-30-2017, 15:23
I'm taking my 8 year old son and 11 year old nephew for an overnight trip Monday and it's supposed to be hot here in the south. I was wondering where I might be able to hike in say 3-5 miles and camp at a swimming hole. Any suggestions? I would be looking to go anywhere in between Roan Mountain up to Roanoke / Daleville area.

illabelle
06-30-2017, 15:41
I suggest Dismal Falls (https://www.virginia.org/listings/OutdoorsAndSports/DismalFalls/), not far from Pearisburg and Bland, VA. I remember the sign at the side trail from the AT had fallen or something. It was a little bit confusing. Anyway, there are good campsites there at the falls. Good swimming hole too, but it was too chilly for me!

Rallywagon
06-30-2017, 16:12
Panthertown Valley near Cashiers. Probably be crowded for the holiday though. But, research it.

Wheezy
06-30-2017, 23:36
Just returned a few weeks ago from a weekend trip with my son and nephew, both 14 years old. We were in the Wilson Creek Area. Plenty of water and swimming areas. Once you get a couple of miles in from any of the trail heads you shouldn't see too many people. The most commonly used swimming holes are at Harper Creek Falls, Hunt Fish Falls and Gragg Falls, but if you explore a little you can find plenty of spots deep enough to swim in.

blw2
07-01-2017, 07:22
any suggestions for the Georgia sections, AT or other nearby overnight trails with swimming holes?

blw2
07-01-2017, 07:29
actually this brings up a question for me....
it seems a bit contradictory in a way. It wouldn't be considered proper or polite to contaminate a water source along a trail, right? But wouldn't swimming be like bathing? Not good for someone's drinking water.....
If I can ever get my kids interested enough to go on a hike, I would think a nice break in a fun swimming hole along a mountain stream would be a great time and make for great memories....and a positive opinion of hiking, the woods, and the outdoors for them....but is it also bad practice?

BuckeyeBill
07-01-2017, 13:41
it seems a bit contradictory in a way. It wouldn't be considered proper or polite to contaminate a water source along a trail, right? But wouldn't swimming be like bathing? Not good for someone's drinking water.....
If I can ever get my kids interested enough to go on a hike, I would think a nice break in a fun swimming hole along a mountain stream would be a great time and make for great memories....and a positive opinion of hiking, the woods, and the outdoors for them....but is it also bad practice?

I wouldn't want my grand kids swimming in a mountain side stream or creek. Too many people use such places to get their drinking water from. If you did happen to come upon a lake or pond of reasonable size I wouldn't see any harm. I wouldn't want them to have any thing to bathe with except maybe a bandana. No soap. Of course kids today may turn their noses up at swimming in a place the animals stand in and that has a mud bottom.

bushwhacker88
07-01-2017, 13:41
any suggestions for the Georgia sections, AT or other nearby overnight trails with swimming holes?

High Shoals falls is about a 1 mile hike off Tray mtn. rd. near Indian Grave gap. We used to jump into the Blue Hole all the time when I was a young'un (middle set of falls- about 30 feet or so).There are several campsites nearby on the trail.

Tipi Walter
07-01-2017, 13:58
Just returned a few weeks ago from a weekend trip with my son and nephew, both 14 years old. We were in the Wilson Creek Area. Plenty of water and swimming areas. Once you get a couple of miles in from any of the trail heads you shouldn't see too many people. The most commonly used swimming holes are at Harper Creek Falls, Hunt Fish Falls and Gragg Falls, but if you explore a little you can find plenty of spots deep enough to swim in.

Exactly my thoughts. Raider Camp Creek, Harper/North Harper, Gragg Prong, Lost Cove Creek, Upper Creek---Big rocks, big swimholes. Perfect place.

chknfngrs
07-01-2017, 14:37
minimal contamination in moving water, right?

Tipi Walter
07-01-2017, 14:51
Humans have been swimming in these creeks for at least 10,000 years. Still crystal clear and clean. Mountaintop removal, clearcut logging, road building, factory runoff, coal plant mercury in the air into the water, cattle farms, fracking---This is what ruins creeks and should be the focus of people worried about creek health. Not swimmers.

FrogLevel
07-01-2017, 14:52
Even the smallest streams will have hundreds of thousands if not millions of gallons pass through every day. Frolicking around for a bit is not going to do any harm.

blw2
07-01-2017, 16:23
well that's my thought pretty much too...but having read so much about "leave no trace" practices..... guidelines against rinsing clothes or whatever..... as to not contaminate the water sources.... I would not want to cause needed-less and negative attention. Still, I love the idea of finding a nice place like that, especially if I were to bring my kids on a hike some day.

greenmtnboy
07-02-2017, 14:50
I liked the one near the Iron Master's hostel in PA, crystal clear, if I remember right it was a quarry that filled in with water.

kestral
07-03-2017, 00:35

Long falls near 3 forks in Georgia would be nice for a quick dip. Pretty camp site just before falls.

blw2
07-03-2017, 21:55
hey that might be perfect for my loose idea of doing the approach trail, springer, neels gap section next summer. Thanks!