PDA

View Full Version : Barilla One Minute Pasta

orthofingers
07-01-2017, 10:34
Anyone tried it? I've just started to see it advertised. If it tastes ok, it seems like a good way to save on fuel.

tdoczi
07-01-2017, 10:45
Anyone tried it? I've just started to see it advertised. If it tastes ok, it seems like a good way to save on fuel.

been using it and things like it for a couple years. it works. not as quickly as just boiling water for some freeze dried mountain house pasta thing, but much better.

though the stuff i use isnt "1 minute" its "pronto" (the barilla version is anyway). so maybe its not exactly the same thing?

Dogwood
07-01-2017, 10:48
I've only used it at home. I must be doing something wrong because it comes out sticky or too soft.

Venchka
07-01-2017, 11:43
Is this what you're talking about? Barilla Ready Pasta?
https://www.barilla.com/en-us/home/ready-pasta-hub
Does anyone have any experience with Barilla Ready Pasta? Good, Bad or Ugly?
Thanks.
Wayne

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Kisco Kid
07-01-2017, 21:28
The Italian in me says microwaveable pasta should be illegal, but the backpacker in me says thank you

Sarcasm the elf
07-01-2017, 22:08
The Italian in me says microwaveable pasta should be illegal, but the backpacker in me says thank you

That's exactly how I feel about Knorr Pasta Sides!

Venchka
07-01-2017, 22:09

So, in the absence of a SUL solar powered microwave, how is everyone "cooking" this pasta?
Wayne

orthofingers
07-01-2017, 23:00
Yes, that must be the stuff. I just realized that it's one minute in the microwave. So, how would that translate to cooking on the trail?

DownEaster
07-02-2017, 00:23
Yes, that must be the stuff. I just realized that it's one minute in the microwave. So, how would that translate to cooking on the trail?
Dump it in some very hot water, and pour off the water when the pasta is sufficiently heated.

lonehiker
07-02-2017, 08:41
Buy a box and experiment with it at home using your hiking stove. You may have to adjust for elevation etc. but it gives you an idea of cook time.

Cheyou
07-02-2017, 08:45
Does it weight more then fresh pasta ?

thom

TexasBob
07-02-2017, 09:07
Does it weight more then fresh pasta ?

thom

I looked at it in the store and it seems much heavier, it is basically cooked pasta in a pouch.

Cheyou
07-02-2017, 11:40
I looked at it in the store and it seems much heavier, it is basically cooked pasta in a pouch.

Thanks for the reply
thom

Venchka
07-02-2017, 13:53
The claim is 2 servings. I have some group trips planned around Labor Day. This might work for the first night on the trail.
New JetBoil and new food to try on the deck. Fun.
Wayne

BillyGr
07-02-2017, 21:45
They have a couple items - the Ready Pasta is the one in the pouch that takes 1 minute in the microwave. That weighs 8.5 oz. for 2 servings, while their dry pasta suggests 2 oz. per serving, so more than double weight wise.They also have a product called Pronto Pasta, which is the same as regular dry pasta, but it gives info as to how much water you need to cook it. You put that amount of water (cold) and the pasta in to start, cook for the suggested time (about 10 min) and when done you have pasta ready to eat with no (or very little) water left over, so no need to drain it.That would make it easier for any kind of camping, not having to deal with trying to drain it and potentially spilling the pasta at the same time.Somebody did (and may still) have one that was even a quicker cook (like 3 minutes) - but haven't seen that recently (Ronzoni, possibly)? An advantage for backpacking (less fuel needed to cook it).

Venchka
07-02-2017, 22:27
I have a bag of their tortellini scheduled for a test on my deck.
On the other hand, rice, couscous, potatoes, ramen and instant refried beans all take less time and fuel than pasta. Oatmeal and grits too. Hardly makes sense to try pasta.
Wayne

DownEaster
07-03-2017, 00:05
Hardly makes sense to try pasta.
Alfredo sauce doesn't work nearly as well with other starches.

Venchka
07-03-2017, 09:17
Alfredo sauce doesn't work nearly as well with other starches.

Of course. Silly me.
How exactly does one come up with Alfredo sauce on the backside of Nowhere? Knoor Sides don't count.
I would like to find a good sauce solution.
Wayne

DownEaster
07-03-2017, 15:12
How exactly does one come up with Alfredo sauce on the backside of Nowhere? Knoor Sides don't count.
You might try this stuff (https://www.amazon.com/Simply-Organic-Seasoning-Certified-1-48-Ounce/dp/B000LKU8A6). You've still got to supply milk (Nido Fortificada), butter (which I carry in a Coghlan's squeeze tube), and dry parmesan cheese.

Venchka
07-03-2017, 15:20
That's ambitious. Thanks for the inspiration.
Wayne

TexasBob
07-03-2017, 18:16
........They also have a product called Pronto Pasta, which is the same as regular dry pasta, but it gives info as to how much water you need to cook it. You put that amount of water (cold) and the pasta in to start, cook for the suggested time (about 10 min) and when done you have pasta ready to eat with no (or very little) water left over, so no need to drain it.That would make it easier for any kind of camping, not having to deal with trying to drain it and potentially spilling the pasta at the same time.......
I watched a thru hiker years ago do this with regular spaghetti as he cooked his dinner one night on the trail. He added a little bit of water and started boiling it and then stirred it frequently adding water if need until the pasta was done. Nothing to drain and the pasta was cooked. After that I started using that method with Mac & Cheese. You have to experiment with how much water to add and pay attention as it cooks. Sounds like this Pronto Pasta takes the guess work out it.

Odd Man Out
07-03-2017, 20:07
I take regular pasta and boil with a sauce mix like Knorr. After it boils I turn off the stove and put the pot in a pot cozy. I think bringing to boil cooks it better than GBC. The sauce mix thickens the excess liquid. If it is a bit saucy, that's ok.